Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,608 members, 7,955,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:26 PM

When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. (61035 Views)

Don't just imagine, start! / Paystack Records N1 Billion In Monthly Transactions Value / When Naira Was Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 11:26pm On Sep 02, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

You must be out of your rockers to have quoted me as I don't understand anywhere in my comment you read that I didn't understand the economics of 1978! Btw, I am a graduate of economics so don't school me about monetary economics or inflation.
I can't imagine y people can't communicate their point across without insults. Rubbish!

Although i still believe you are dull, just because you are a Nigerian, i made an error in quoting you. I apologize for that. I was responding to too many idiotic comments on the issue.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:30pm On Sep 02, 2016
pippimp:

Although i still believe you are a dull, just because you are a Nigerian, i made an error in quoting you. I apologize for that. I was responding to too many idiotic comments on the issue.
Nobody is a "dull". The term is called "dullard" smart as.s.
Believe me, I don't need nor appreciate your apology.
Calling other people idiots, doesn't make u any more smarter either.
But then again, y waste my time? Afterall, you aren't a "Nigerian".
Carry go.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 11:34pm On Sep 02, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Nobody is a "dull". The term is called "dullard" smart as.s.
Believe me, I don't need nor appreciate your apology.
Calling other people idiots, doesn't make u any more smarter either.
But then again, y waste my time? Afterall, you aren't a "Nigerian".
Carry go.

You see why i consider you dull? The fact that you don't even know the meaning of the word proves my point.

dull

dəl/Submit
adjective
lacking interest or excitement.
"your diet doesn't have to be dull and boring"
synonyms: uninteresting, boring, tedious, monotonous, unrelieved, unvaried, unimaginative, uneventful; More
lacking brightness, vividness, or sheen.
"his face glowed in the dull lamplight"
synonyms: drab, dreary, somber, dark, subdued, muted, lackluster, faded, washed out, muddy, dingy
"dull colors"
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:39pm On Sep 02, 2016
pippimp:

You see why i consider you dull? The fact that you don't even know the meaning of the word proves my point.

dull

dəl/Submit
adjective
lacking interest or excitement.
"your diet doesn't have to be dull and boring"
synonyms: uninteresting, boring, tedious, monotonous, unrelieved, unvaried, unimaginative, uneventful; More
lacking brightness, vividness, or sheen.
"his face glowed in the dull lamplight"
synonyms: drab, dreary, somber, dark, subdued, muted, lackluster, faded, washed out, muddy, dingy
"dull colors"
Hahahahah so u go do copy and paste from a dictionary and bring here? And yet none of the definitions" are in tune with the context you used it in your sentence. See y I called u a smartas.s?
Mister, I am reading other interesting topics on the front page. Have some dignity for yourself and let me be with ur fake apologies and silliness. Ok? Note not every girl on NL is a walk-over. Cheers
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by LordOfNaira: 11:39pm On Sep 02, 2016
vivaciousvivi:
That note book needs to be in a museum!
Goat N23 and cow N250!.
But then again, that was 1978 - most of us weren't born then.
Kai, our parents enjoyed o. What is even more surprising for me was that OP's dad had a column for Kobo grin

#23 then was money for a lot of people, except probably the second class citizens . Some people earned less than #40 per month. Tell me how fellows like that would have been able to afford goats or cows?

It is almost the same thing.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by mrZENographer: 11:41pm On Sep 02, 2016
harrysterol:
Buhari has now killed the remaining value of naira

He made a big killing in his first tenure when he embellezed billions of Naira took it outside Nigeria which hit exchange market hard. He, babangida and Abacha were d major cause of Naira fall. Still the zombies among us went ahead to vote him in power because he said he's a born again democrat.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:44pm On Sep 02, 2016
LordofNairaland:

#23 then was money for a lot of people, except probably the second class citizens . Some people earned less than #40 per month. Tell me how fellows like that would have been able to afford goats or cows?

It is almost the same thing.

My dear, my dad earned N150 then working for Lipton Nigeria Ltd. My mom told us much later while going through family pictures one day. And this was in the early 1980s o. But still when you adjust for inflation, theirs still had more value in terms of what your money can exchange Vs. Number of goods exchanged for.
How can middle-middle and upper middle class segments earning N5mn and upwards be wailing at this time? It's unnatural

Now your moniker sounds interesting!
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 11:45pm On Sep 02, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Hahahahah so u go do copy and paste from a dictionary and bring here? And yet none of the definitions" are in tune with the context you used it in your sentence. See y I called u a smartas.s?
Mister, I am reading other interesting topics on the front page. Have some dignity for yourself and let me be with ur fake apologies and silliness. Ok? Note not every girl on NL is a walk-over. Cheers

I knew you would respond. it is so easy to bait you. The word dull can be used to describe a person's state of mind and or intelligence. Obviously you wouldn't know that because why? You are dull.

dull (dŭl)
adj. dull·er, dull·est
a. Arousing little interest; lacking liveliness; boring:
b. Not brisk or rapid; sluggish: Business has been dull.
2. Not having a sharp edge or point; blunt: a dull knife.
a. Not intensely or keenly felt: a dull ache.
b. Not bright, vivid, or shiny: a dull brown; a glaze with a dull finish.
c. Cloudy or overcast: a dull sky.
d. Not clear or resonant: a dull thud.
4. Intellectually weak or obtuse; stupid.
5. Lacking responsiveness or alertness; insensitive: half-asleep and dull to the noises in the next room.
6. Dispirited; depressed: a dull mood.
tr. & intr.v. dulled, dull·ing, dulls
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:48pm On Sep 02, 2016
pippimp:

I knew you would respond. it is so easy to bait you. The word dull can be used to describe a person's state of mind and or intelligence. Obviously you wouldn't know that because why? You are dull.

dull (dŭl)
adj. dull·er, dull·est
a. Arousing little interest; lacking liveliness; boring: a dull movie.
b. Not brisk or rapid; sluggish: Business has been dull.
2. Not having a sharp edge or point; blunt: a dull knife.
a. Not intensely or keenly felt: a dull ache.
b. Not bright, vivid, or shiny: a dull brown; a glaze with a dull finish.
c. Cloudy or overcast: a dull sky.
d. Not clear or resonant: a dull thud.
4. Intellectually weak or obtuse; stupid.
5. Lacking responsiveness or alertness; insensitive: half-asleep and dull to the noises in the next room.
6. Dispirited; depressed: a dull mood.
tr. & intr.v. dulled, dull·ing, dulls
Bait me? That's now your excuse? Gosh, how old are u? For real? 12yrs old. Dude, the word can't be used in "any " context. Kindly refrain from being foolish. And stop quoting me. Your immaturity is embarrassing.
If you want to continue "baiting" me though...I am game. Do try Wikipedia on ur next cc and paste expedition!
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by LordOfNaira: 11:48pm On Sep 02, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

My dear, my dad earned N150 then working for Lipton Nigeria Ltd. My mom told us much later while going through family pictures one day. And this was in the early 1980s o. But still when you adjust for inflation, theirs still had more value in terms of what your money can exchange Vs. Number of goods exchanged for.
How can middle-middle and upper middle class segments earning N5mn and upwards be wailing at this time? It's unnatural

I understand. But some people already feel that 40naira of those days was easy to come by as 40naira of today.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 11:50pm On Sep 02, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Bait me? That's now your excuse? Gosh, how old are u? For real? 12yrs old. Dude, the word can't be used in "any " context. Kindly refrain from being foolish. And stop quoting me. Your immaturity is embarrassing

Then what context would you use "4. Intellectually weak or obtuse; stupid?? Unless you want to tell me a chair can be s.tupid.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:52pm On Sep 02, 2016
LordofNairaland:

I understand. But some people already feel that 40naira of those days was easy to come by as 40naira of today.
I didn't really see anyone feel that here. It was all in jest. Some people clearly carry the matter for their head cheesy.

N u avoided the comment about your moniker wink
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:54pm On Sep 02, 2016
pippimp:

Then what context would you use "4. Intellectually weak or obtuse; stupid?? Unless you want to tell me a chair can be s.tupid.
No sweetie, pippimp is stup.id.
I am a Noun person wink
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 11:56pm On Sep 02, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

No sweetie, pippimp is stup.id.
I am a Noun person wink

I know what you are thinking. You are thinking, "this guy's is about to expose how dull i am. I should have just said i didn't know the use of the word".

You are enlightened now. And forgiven.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:59pm On Sep 02, 2016
pippimp:

I know what you are thinking. You are thinking, "this guy's is about to expose how dull i am. I should have just said i didn't know the use of the word".

You are enlightened now. And forgiven.
Little boy, please go to bed. I no longer read your disjointed sentences. Don't know what u tried to communicate and frankly, I don't care. Cheers stu.pid sweetie ...oh whatever!
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 12:01am On Sep 03, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Little boy, please go to bed. I no longer read your disjointed sentences. Don't know what u tried to communicate and frankly, I don't care. Cheers stu.pid sweetie ...oh whatever!

It's still early. It's just 1800. A dull mind wouldn't know the difference since you consider a chair to be intellectual.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:05am On Sep 03, 2016
pippimp:

It's still early. It's just 1800. A dull mind wouldn't know the difference since you consider a chair to be intellectual.
Let me see....if I remember correctly, you brought up the chair issue "as a question". So pls smarty, tell me when I made such consideration? You are failing at this. And I had high hopes for you. Pity that cry. Oh well, a girl can but hope. Once a person is stup.id, he is stup.id undecided .
Oh this is Fun!
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 12:14am On Sep 03, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Let me see....if I remember correctly, you brought up the chair issue "as a question". So pls smarty, tell me when I made such consideration? You are failing at this. And I had high hopes for you. Pity that cry. Oh well, a girl can but hope. Once a person is stup.id, he is stup.id undecided .
Oh this is Fun!

You are just too easy. It's like taking candy from a baby. I thought you weren't reading my comments anymore grin Your silence about the "chair" question was an affirmation. Or haven't you heard that silence is agreed consent? Now i expect you not to read this comment. wink
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:24am On Sep 03, 2016
pippimp:

You are just too easy. It's like taking candy from a baby? I thought you weren't reading my comments anymore grin Your silence about the "chair" question was an affirmation. Or haven't you heard that silence is agreed consent? Now i expect you not to read this comment. wink
Lol. I told u I didn't read that particular disjointed comment. Ur mumuism knows no bounds. Silence as affirmation when I flung it back at your face? So I guess all my other questions to u which u didn't answer are affirmations too right? Lol.
Oh and when u use the term : taking candy from a baby, u don't use a question mark at d end. It wasn't a question, stup.id. cheesy
U make idiotic comments and I answer you appropriately and u try to switch it back at me? Hahahah. Very apt for a 12yr old.
Other matured men are busy with their lives u are here bantering (with a female no doubt) like iya Bose selling tomatoes at Mile 12. No shame whatsoever. grin
Biko swerve. Iranu somebody that thinks he is a man.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 12:31am On Sep 03, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Lol. I told u I didn't read that particular disjointed comment. Ur mumuism knows no bounds. Silence as affirmation when I flung it back at your face? So I guess all my other questions to u which u didn't answer are affirmations too right? Lol.
Oh and when u use the term : taking candy from a baby, u don't use a question mark at d end. It wasn't a question, stup.id. cheesy
U make idiotic comments and I answer you appropriately and u try to switch it back at me? Hahahah. Very apt for a 12yr old.
Other matured men are busy with their lives u are here bantering (with a female no doubt) like iya Bose selling tomatoes at Mile 12. No shame whatsoever. grin
Biko swerve. Iranu somebody that thinks he is a man.

Lol. I agree about the question mark. It was a typo which is why when i re read it, i made the adjustment. See the difference between a smart mind and a dull one. We own up. I also like that you consider yourself second class to men. Good. You already know and acknowledge you are weak and a potential slave to whoever has the misfortune to ask the big question. That is if it is ever asked. I doubt it though.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:38am On Sep 03, 2016
pippimp:

Lol. I agree about the question mark. It was a typo which is why when i re read it, i made the adjustment. See the difference between a smart mind and a dull one. We own up. I also like that you consider yourself second class to men. Good. You already know and acknowledge you are weak and a potential slave to whoever has the misfortune to ask the big question. That is if it is ever asked. I doubt it though.
Oh a Typo was it. I thought smart 12yr old don't make mistakes hun. What happened in your case? Second class to men? If you use the word "men", women should be submissive.
Now "boys" and "children"...which are words that qualify u so to speak, now that a far different matter.
And may the God I serve punish you abundantly for cursing my future. It will NEVER be well with you or your generation.

Let's get this straight. I made a comment that had nothing to do with u. U read it wrongly and proceeded to insult me. I spoke up and u apologised and still insulted me in the same comment. All that I can and will take. But do not curse me dude. Do not try it! There is banter and there is a curse. I will not accept the latter from you.
Got that?
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 12:43am On Sep 03, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Oh a Typo was it. I thought smart 12yr old don't make mistakes hun. What happened in your case? Second class to men? If you sue the word "men", women should be submissive.
Now "boys" and "children"...which are words that qualify u so to speak, now that a far different matter.
And may the God I serve punish you abundantly for cursing my future. It will NEVER be well with you or your generation.

Let's get this straight. I made a comment that had nothing to do with u. U read it wrongly and proceeded to insult me. I spoke up and u apologised and still insulted me in the same comment. All that I can and will take. But do not curse me dude. Do not try it! There is banter and there is a curse. I will not accept the latter from you.
Got that?

Quote anywhere i said people don't make mistakes. Now you are just reaching. It is not about being a man. It is about being who and what i am. A fighter. I am trained to fight and destroy. Especially dull idiotic people. It's second nature. We don't take anything lying down. Especially from idiotic people. I already told you that i was sorry although i still considered you dull. Which i believe whole heartedly.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:48am On Sep 03, 2016
pippimp:

Quote anywhere i said people don't make mistakes. Now you are just reaching. It is not about being a man. It is about being who and what i am. A fighter. I am trained to fight and destroy. Especially dull idiotic people. It's second nature. We don't take anything lying down. Especially from idiotic people. I already told you that i was sorry although i still considered you dull. Which i believe whole heartedly.
So fight and destroy sitting pretty behind your computer. I have spoken my mind. Do not curse me. Your assertion of me means diddly-squat! I also still consider you extremely immature for a dude. Finish!
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 12:53am On Sep 03, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

So fight and destroy sitting pretty behind your computer. I have spoken my mind. Do not curse me. Your assertion of me means diddly-squat! I also still consider you extremely immature for a dude. Finish!

Not just behind a computer. In iraq (twice), and Afghanistan. And everywhere dull people exist. In this case, behind a computer.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:57am On Sep 03, 2016
pippimp:

Not just behind a computer. In iraq (twice), and Afghanistan. And everywhere dull people exist. In this case, behind a computer.
Clap for yourself! Like we all give a damn about your CV.
Immature exhibition of supposed prowess.
Unfortunately for u, I am not behind one.
Cheers.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 1:01am On Sep 03, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Clap for yourself! Like we all give a damn about your CV.
Immature exhibition of supposed prowess.
Unfortunately for u, I am not behind one.
Cheers.

You are just too easy. I thought you were finished. Lol. Anyway, It is not just a CV or prowess flexing. It is a fact. It is not bragging if it's true. A dull idiotic mind wouldn't know the difference.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 1:06am On Sep 03, 2016
pippimp:

You are just too easy. I thought you were finished. Lol. Anyway, It is not just a CV or prowess flexing. It is a fact. It is not bragging if it's true. A dull idiotic mind wouldn't know the difference.
Yawnnnn. Such a bore! You don't know anything more than "dull". Oh well, its past midnight here and I am off to bed. Thanks for amusing me Soldier boy!
Enjoy destroying and killing on your next tour...or behind your computer. Whatever knocks your socks off. ok, that would be "boots off"
Goodnight kiss
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 1:10am On Sep 03, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Yawnnnn. Such a bore! You don't know anything more than "dull". Oh well, its past midnight here and I am off to bed. Thanks for amusing me Soldier boy!
Enjoy destroying and killing on your next tour...or behind your computer. Whatever knocks your socks off. ok, that would be "boots off"
Goodnight kiss

If you were anything other than dull, i would refer to you as such. You are not. You are just dull. And i do enjoy my job because of people like you. It gives me a lot of satisfaction. Best thing in the world. And please don't go. You are duller than most on this forum and it's really intriguing. Plus it's still early.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by bezimo(m): 1:57am On Sep 03, 2016
vivaciousvivi:
That note book needs to be in a museum!
Goat N23 and cow N250!.
But then again, that was 1978 - most of us weren't born then.
Kai, our parents enjoyed o. What is even more surprising for me was that OP's dad had a column for Kobo grin

Offcourse the value of the naira has fallen but also then they didn't have much. For instance a persons salary might be N400/month then which might be equal to N120000 now which is 38 yrs after.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by grandstar(m): 2:45am On Sep 03, 2016
jmichlins:
as much as I will want to blame the government we as citizens share part of the blame. That was when BATA was the shoe everyone wears, clothes were imported from Aba and not Dubai, there were palm oil in the east, cocoa in the west, ground nuts in the north. Though government needs fiscal policies and huge investment into the power and transport sector to stimulate growth again.

You are wrong. By 1978,Nigeria was a massive importer of food. The naira was so strong that it was cheaper to import food than to grow it locally.

OBJ was even compelled to launch Operation Feed the Nation.

The agricultural sector nosedived fast with the onset of the oil boom
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by grandstar(m): 2:46am On Sep 03, 2016
mickyeddi:
The days when petrol was #5/litre, solo cocacola was#10, 35cl was #15, orobo was #20.

It was N5 in 1993 if I am correct

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Eniola Adenuga Storms His Damilola Ogun's House With Over 25 Policemen / Biggest Amount Of Money You Have Ever Lost In Life And Lessons Learnt From It / Is Harry Akande The Reason Shoprite Is Quitting Nigeria After Negating On Deals?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.