Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,285 members, 7,836,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode - Politics (2389) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode (1119602 Views)

Fayose Shuts Down Access Bank Branch Over Fani-Kayode's Wife's Detention / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) / What Buhari Promised Nigerians Vs What He Has Delivered - Kenyans Blast Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2386) (2387) (2388) (2389) (2390) (2391) (2392) ... (2492) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Just40: 11:07am On Dec 04, 2023
Mkenya2019:
Even in richest or advanced nation - poor live in subsidized - mostly gov owned properties. It only in backwater country that thinks they need to be rich - before they embark on social programs.

Kenya is poor but has 2.5M people on a social safety net earning 20-30 dollars a month - everyone who is above 65 in kenya; is disabled; is orphan; is in anyway very poor & vulnerable get that monthly stipend send to their money.

Secondly Kenya is putting all poor people into health insurance - so they too can get medical insurance.

Your backwater country that is already bankrupt should concentrate on building sewage network in all your town FIRST. Before we even engage.

Ghana is a leader in social programs in Africa and your country is not a match...so let's leave it at that.

Ghana health insurance has 18 million plus active members and 70% of Ghanaians have health insurance...the most successful health insurance scheme on the continent and dialysis will soon be added under the scheme. πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

Broke Kenya will have to break it back to get there.

Ghana leap program that makes monthly payment to old,disabled people and widows covers 1.5 million people. It is now being considered to cover 2.5 million Ghanaians.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Just40: 11:23am On Dec 04, 2023
popizaino:
I think kenya gov's approach to eradicating slum is the most practical way. Nothing more or nothing less.

Unless,there's some form of intervention by the government through provision of mass low cost housing,while forcefully evicting slum dwellers away from their lands,slums in our spaces won't cease to exist.

Living in slums sometimes isn't all about lack of economic freedom but rather human nature of being rigid to change.

It will surprise you that some people who owns properties in choice locations of the city still remain in their previous slum areas for reasons best known to them.

Extra:
It is a trend that i have found in most places across West Africa. Someone who owns shops with warehouse in idumota be living in one dilapidated building in nearby Apogbon,while collecting rent from his apartments in lekki.

Go to Accra you still find the same with traders who control chunk of the informal sectors living back in Nima while having properties in East legon and other choice areas.

In Abidjan too,the same trend still applies.

you have not travelled wide that's why you think like that.
All around the world, the most practical way of moving people out of slums is to provide them with economic opportunities. That's the fastest way, they'll move their life into better communities to live.
I've seen it in the US where black families succeed and move out of the hood Into majority white porch neighborhoods. It wasn't a forced eviction program.
I've seen it in Brazil where people moved out of the favella into structured communities.
In India New Delhi and Mumbai, people make it and move out of the slums...
In Busan South Korea, the same thing.

In places where forced eviction happened and slum dwellers were expected to rent places they can't afford, immediately another huge slum popped up nearby and just 5 years down the line the new community became another slum. Example, pipeline Kenya ...I've seen a few of these extreme cases in California (luckily communities rose up against it to prevent their communities from turning into slums)

1 Like

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Shma2022: 12:55pm On Dec 04, 2023
Just40:
you have not travelled wide that's why you think like that.
All around the world, the most practical way of moving people out of slums is to provide them with economic opportunities. That's the fastest way, they'll move their life into better communities to live.
I've seen it in the US where black families succeed and move out of the hood Into majority white porch neighborhoods. It wasn't a forced eviction program.
I've seen it in Brazil where people moved out of the favella into structured communities.
In India New Delhi and Mumbai, people make it and move out of the slums...
In Busan South Korea, the same thing.

In places where forced eviction happened and slum dwellers were expected to rent places they can't afford, immediately another huge slum popped up nearby and just 5 years down the line the new community became another slum. Example, pipeline Kenya ...I've seen a few of these extreme cases in California (luckily communities rose up against it to prevent their communities from turning into slums)
Providing economic activity and funding housing programs to eradicate shacks are both achievable in Kenya, certainly not broke Ghana. I've seen health workers & teachers dwelling in slums because of close proximity to the working station. The thing here is slum can be eradicated. It's worth noting that Majority of slum dwellers in kibera can afford pretty much all basic needs, some stay in a luxurious form β€” there is even a fiber connection in the region, something that is lacking is some posh areas in Ghana. What might happen if the government decide to create modern units with close to a shack rent? Nothing! The worst will be degrading the modern apartments to a slum scraper ( if policies are not taken into consideration ) _ and perhaps the government involvement in maintenance and security checks wi be a win.

Eradicating kibera is doable but not easy!

2 Likes

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Shma2022: 1:06pm On Dec 04, 2023
Saddamochieng00:

Shut up already. The situation has been the same for everyone at the bottom of the pyramid since independence. Nothing new. It's you entitled woke brats that can't stop whining. Bleat some more. It's nine more years of Ruto so if you need cyanide or Roundup we're here and willing to wire you some mulla asap.
I have observed a thing from you.
You trash Kenyans with different political views from yours barbarously!
It's easier for you to harshly critique Woushe for saying inflation in Kenya is dire than calling out a hobbit saying 80% of Nairobi is slum.

Isn't that concerning, my bro?
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Shma2022: 1:10pm On Dec 04, 2023
7 skyscrapers have been proposed, 6 in Upperhill. I can't wait to see the transformation.
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Shma2022: 1:13pm On Dec 04, 2023
AfriqueDuZuid:

Inflation dropping does not mean prices have droppped, it only means prices are only rising at a better rate
It depends. You might be correct
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Saddamochieng00(m): 1:16pm On Dec 04, 2023
Shma2022:

I have observed a thing from you.
You trash Kenyans with different political views from yours barbarously!
It's easier for you to harshly critique Woushe for saying inflation in Kenya is dire than calling out a hobbit saying 80% of Nairobi is slum.

Isn't that concerning, my bro?

Nope. Never used a harsh word against Wuoche or any other azimio guy in here. You can go through all my posts wink The other dude is extremely tribal as everyone in here knows and he has a deep disdain for Kalenjins.
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Shma2022: 1:18pm On Dec 04, 2023
AfriqueDuZuid:
. Safaricom is not fully owned by government

35% government
35% Vodacom
5% Vodafone
No! Vodafone owns 5%. Assuming you are right, Kenyan government is the only government in the world that owns a huge share of Safaricom, just like SA with MTN. State shareholding is powerful! So when you add state with local shareholding, the force becomes whole-length! Free float is a tiny percent, go get your facts right.
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Shma2022: 1:21pm On Dec 04, 2023
Saddamochieng00:

Nope. Never used a harsh word against Wuoche or any other azimio guy in here. You can go through all my posts wink The other dude is extremely tribal as everyone in here knows and he has a deep disdain for Kalenjins.
Let's replace the term "harsh" with "condescending tone" cool

Umoja
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Mkenya2019: 1:22pm On Dec 04, 2023
Very nice.
Now what stopping you from upgrading your Ghana slumpolis?
You dont think social programs should not extend to housing?
Just40:
Ghana is a leader in social programs in Africa and your country is not a match...so let's leave it at that.

Ghana health insurance has 18 million plus active members and 70% of Ghanaians have health insurance...the most successful health insurance scheme on the continent and dialysis will soon be added under the scheme. πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

Broke Kenya will have to break it back to get there.

Ghana leap program that makes monthly payment to old,disabled people and widows covers 1.5 million people. It is now being considered to cover 2.5 million Ghanaians.
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Mkenya2019: 1:24pm On Dec 04, 2023
All Kenya slums are well positioned near the areas of work (rich neigherbhood or cbds) - therefore they sit on prime land - and the slums are certainly eradictable.

To prevent new slums - gov should run this affordable housing program - in perpetuity. The real estate market will always out prize the poor or lower middle class - be it in Vienna or New York or Cape town.

It good this affordable program is covering all the 290 const.

Shma2022:

Providing economic activity and funding housing programs to eradicate shacks are both achievable in Kenya, certainly not broke Ghana. I've seen health workers & teachers dwelling in slums because of close proximity to the working station. The thing here is slum can be eradicated. It's worth noting that Majority of slum dwellers in kibera can afford pretty much all basic needs, some stay in a luxurious form β€” there is even a fiber connection in the region, something that is lacking is some posh areas in Ghana. What might happen if the government decide to create modern units with close to a shack rent? Nothing! The worst will be degrading the modern apartments to a slum scraper ( if policies are not taken into consideration ) _ and perhaps the government involvement in maintenance and security checks wi be a win.

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Shma2022: 1:27pm On Dec 04, 2023
Mkenya2019:
All Kenya slums are well positioned near the areas of work (rich neigherbhood or cbds) - therefore they sit on prime land - and the slums are certainly eradictable.

To prevent new slums - gov should run this affordable housing program - in perpetuity. The real estate market will always out prize the poor or lower middle class - be it in Vienna or New York or Cape town.

It good this affordable program is covering all the 290 const.

I agree.
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Mkenya2019: 1:29pm On Dec 04, 2023
They dont need to be evicted. They remain in the slums. We also dont need to build anything fancy. Just small studios/self-contained. And it can be build cheaper.

In fact because slums are squeezed box to box horizontal - building them vertically - will solve the problem.

Slum upgrading and whole affordable housing will not only eradicate deplorable slums and it attendant disease - it also provide source of millions of jobs.

Kenya is doing this affordabe mass housing program on advise of Mckinsey. You can employ millions of people to build the houses - you just need very little money - as land is already there.

https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/urbanization/tackling-the-worlds-affordable-housing-challenge

popizaino:
I think kenya gov's approach to eradicating slum is the most practical way. Nothing more or nothing less.

Unless,there's some form of intervention by the government through provision of mass low cost housing,while forcefully evicting slum dwellers away from their lands,slums in our spaces won't cease to exist.

Living in slums sometimes isn't all about lack of economic freedom but rather human nature of being rigid to change.

It will surprise you that some people who owns properties in choice locations of the city still remain in their previous slum areas for reasons best known to them.

Extra:
It is a trend that i have found in most places across West Africa. Someone who owns shops with warehouse in idumota be living in one dilapidated building in nearby Apogbon,while collecting rent from his apartments in lekki.

Go to Accra you still find the same with traders who control chunk of the informal sectors living back in Nima while having properties in East legon and other choice areas.

In Abidjan too,the same trend still applies.

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Just40: 1:57pm On Dec 04, 2023
Shma2022:

Ghana's private sector has achieved that without even govt involvement. Hence the abundance of family unit housing here.
All the govt had to do was just to focus on making economic activities thrive.

That cannot be achieved in Kenya hence the magnitude of poverty and slums.
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Just40: 2:00pm On Dec 04, 2023
Mkenya2019:
Very nice.
Now what stopping you from upgrading your Ghana slumpolis?
You dont think social programs should not extend to housing?
Govt has no business in housing ...the private sector is capable of doing that.

There's nothing like a slumpolis here for any govt to upgrade. They'll rather focus on improving economic well being and the poor will own mansions.
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by kkins25(m): 2:04pm On Dec 04, 2023
vaxx:
There is what we called support system, why should I leave my beautiful family in makoko area of lagos and go stay alone in ikoyi island ? Just because I have arrived .some people don't care.

That's what we were talking about in another thread. This "I have outgrown my friends mentality" we have in naija and west Africa in general.

Anyway, we could consider that people leave slums when they become more financially stable because it's not a healthy environment to raise kids in. It's even risky for adults.

Generally speaking, we don't have this "give back to society" mentality like west folks have. Instead, we have a more "giving to showoff" kind of mentality. As we see among our artists and politicians. Its nothing intentional, just "i don arrive."

2 Likes

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by vaxx: 2:11pm On Dec 04, 2023
kkins25:

That's what we were talking about in another thread. This "I have outgrown my friends mentality" we have in naija and west Africa in general.

Anyway, we could consider that people leave slums when they become more financially stable because it's not a healthy environment to raise kids in. It's even risky for adults.

Generally speaking, we don't have this "give back to society" mentality like west folks have. Instead, we have a more "giving to showoff" kind of mentality. As we see among our artists and politicians. Its nothing intentional, just "i don arrive."
People's leaving in slum didn't force themselves there , social economic condition of the society warrant it . Even in the UK , not all africans can afford the life styles of the white . How many nigerians , Ghanaian are leaving in west end or trasvegas square ? You will see them in pecham, woolish etc it is because that is what they can afford .

Another very interesting thing that may surprise you , some people can actually afford the lives styles of west end but they prefer to live with their people. So you see their own very environment changing .it is in Ghana, the same Nima that is considered ghetto also houses the porched building of the president.

I once saw a fenced and well gated house in a ghetto before . They are many factors to it

2 Likes

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Mkenya2019: 2:19pm On Dec 04, 2023
What makes you think GoK is building houses.
It IS NOT.
Kenya gov is providing INCENTIVE for private developers who are interested in providing low cost housing.
Gov gives them free land, tax free inputs, build horizontal infra like sewages.
Gov also promise develop to assist thousands buy the house by de-risking mortage.
As we speak 350,000 kenyans are registered, paying deposit and waiting for their house.

https://www.bomayangu.go.ke/

No private sector player will stomach the risk of building for low income people - leaving them to slums.

Gov de-risk the sector - making it attractive.

Just40:
Govt has no business in housing ...the private sector is capable of doing that.

There's nothing like a slumpolis here for any govt to upgrade. They'll rather focus on improving economic well being and the poor will own mansions.
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Mkenya2019: 2:23pm On Dec 04, 2023
Joburg soon has nothing on Nairobi - and it just getting started. The amount of building going on is staggering

This guy with his very nice camera makes it clear - West Africa slumpolis dont compete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRx_iTPjYXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVbiIaXYNjY

Eastleigh - construction beehive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shWiekE7JxQ&t=264s
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Shma2022: 5:20pm On Dec 04, 2023
Just40:
Ghana's private sector has achieved that without even govt involvement. Hence the abundance of family unit housing here.
All the govt had to do was just to focus on making economic activities thrive.

That cannot be achieved in Kenya hence the magnitude of poverty and slums.
FYI, 89% of rentals come from individual providers(random Kenyan business people). Private companies has managed only 5.6%, and the government has done the bare minimum. Kibera sits in the public land, it's the government's initiative to either demolish it, upgrade it or transfer it. Heck! Going by volume 3N of your ministry report(reality) , Ghana's slum sector is in fact in its booming(Review the report and see the upward trajectory of metal, wooden and mud houses) - Never heard of any slum eradication in Ghana by private sector.

To demonstrate how poor Ghana is, only 3.1% of the entire houses have concrete roofs - Kenya has a whopping 8.2%! ~ refer to Kenya Volume IV Census report. (concrete roofs mostly mean RICHNESS)

Let's spool back to avoid getting lost in words, here is the point: The government is capable of eradicating kibera/slums. The private sector is the reason for booming real estate and housing units; From decent, Top-notch to shanty houses.
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Wuoche: 8:46pm On Dec 04, 2023
Why?
Why?
Why?

Was this also an IMF condition? A government that is against the people.

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Mkenya2019: 9:02pm On Dec 04, 2023
Azimio fo.ols spreading fake news. Keep it at Kenya forum.
Wuoche:
Why?
Why?
Why?

Was this also an IMF condition? A government that is against the people.
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Wuoche: 9:43pm On Dec 04, 2023
Mkenya2019:
Azimio fo.ols spreading fake news. Keep it at Kenya forum.

Prove that it's fake news. No government official has come out to dispute this report. So by their silent we will assume it's the truth of the matter.

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Mkenya2019: 9:50am On Dec 05, 2023
You're desperate - and we have 9 more years of Ruto. Utalia sana.
Wuoche:

Prove that it's fake news. No government official has come out to dispute this report. So by their silent we will assume it's the truth of the matter.

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by AfriqueDuZuid: 10:07am On Dec 05, 2023
Shma2022:

No! Vodafone owns 5%. Assuming you are right, Kenyan government is the only government in the world that owns a huge share of Safaricom, just like SA with MTN. State shareholding is powerful! So when you add state with local shareholding, the force becomes whole-length! Free float is a tiny percent, go get your facts right.

State share holding and local shareholding is less than 50%

Also state shareholding and corporate/individuals are in no way innit together.... Each representation is liable for its own

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by AfriqueDuZuid: 10:11am On Dec 05, 2023
Shma2022:

FYI, 89% of rentals come from individual providers(random Kenyan business people). Private companies has managed only 5.6%, and the government has done the bare minimum. Kibera sits in the public land, it's the government's initiative to either demolish it, upgrade it or transfer it. Heck! Going by volume 3N of your ministry report(reality) , Ghana's slum sector is in fact in its booming(Review the report and see the upward trajectory of metal, wooden and mud houses) - Never heard of any slum eradication in Ghana by private sector.

To demonstrate how poor Ghana is, only 3.1% of the entire houses have concrete roofs - Kenya has a whopping 8.2%! ~ refer to Kenya Volume IV Census report. (concrete roofs mostly mean RICHNESS)

Let's spool back to avoid getting lost in words, here is the point: The government is capable of eradicating kibera/slums. The private sector is the reason for booming real estate and housing units; From decent, Top-notch to shanty houses.

Concrete roof is one of the cheapest form of roofing

At least in south africa

2 Likes

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by AfriqueDuZuid: 10:11am On Dec 05, 2023
Mkenya2019:
Joburg soon has nothing on Nairobi - and it just getting started. The amount of building going on is staggering

This guy with his very nice camera makes it clear - West Africa slumpolis dont compete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRx_iTPjYXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVbiIaXYNjY

Eastleigh - construction beehive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shWiekE7JxQ&t=264s

LOL you very funny
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by AfriqueDuZuid: 10:13am On Dec 05, 2023
Shma2022:

It depends. You might be correct

I am correct
Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by AfriqueDuZuid: 10:20am On Dec 05, 2023
Mkenya2019:
Single family homes is not practical in large city. You're just spreading poverty and traffic jams. At worse you will have South Africa mess where poor lives 30-50kms from their work place - spending all their little earning in transport.

Accra should first invest in sewage system. Then adopt highrises - build vertically - encourage people to walk or circle or ride to work cheaply.

Of course your incompetent gov is not going to do any of that - not even extend the sewage line that just cover CBD of accra only.

Which south africaπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚?

70% of south Africans live in urban areas grin, majority lives in their workplace. Those working in mining, agriculture they also live near their workplace

Kenya

Going back to Kenya.... Only 27 % live in urban areas... This means great majority live far from work... Those that live in urban areas half of them lives in places like muthare, liberal, sowetoetc

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Shma2022: 10:35am On Dec 05, 2023
AfriqueDuZuid:

State share holding and local shareholding is less than 50%

Also state shareholding and corporate/individuals are in no way innit together.... Each representation is liable for its own
Says who, a shackman?

State shareholding is more than 50%, that's if we add the local corporate shareholders and individuals. Don't debate things you know little to nothing about them.

Go and study this chart, it will give you a clear picture.

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by AfriqueDuZuid: 10:37am On Dec 05, 2023
Mkenya2019:
Single family homes is not practical in large city. You're just spreading poverty and traffic jams. At worse you will have South Africa mess where poor lives 30-50kms from their work place - spending all their little earning in transport.

Accra should first invest in sewage system. Then adopt highrises - build vertically - encourage people to walk or circle or ride to work cheaply.

Of course your incompetent gov is not going to do any of that - not even extend the sewage line that just cover CBD of accra only.

High rises are responsible for extreme road traffic.. I see you not aware of good city planning.

Back to South Africa wink

Did I tell you, rail is back in SA... All through out the city even long distance like Pretoria via Johannesburg to Capetown($23 for a 1400km trip) , Pretoria via Johannesburg to durban($9 for 600km trip) East London and limpopo line

Also metro rail is back in major cities in SA which is extremely cheap Pretoria to Johannesburg $0.5

2 Likes

Re: Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode by Shma2022: 10:40am On Dec 05, 2023
AfriqueDuZuid:

Concrete roof is one of the cheapest form of roofing

At least in south africa
Says a shackman from a scrappy house.

There is a concreting flooring, and there is a concrete tiling. No one is talking about tiling. We know concrete tiles are not close to expensive!

(1) (2) (3) ... (2386) (2387) (2388) (2389) (2390) (2391) (2392) ... (2492) (Reply)

Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. / Update on developments in Anambra state-photos

Viewing this topic: Baller254

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.