Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,796 members, 7,817,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo (3884 Views)

See The N6million Wristwatch This Senator’s Daughter Got From Her Mom (PHOTO) / PHOTO - Who Was This Senator Reporting To Buhari In Saraki's Presence? / One Word For This Senator? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by asha80(m): 11:53am On Oct 06, 2009
Senator laments low birth rate among Ndigbo
Latest News Oct 6, 2009 By Dennis Agbo

ABAKALIKI—THE  present low birth rate in most Igbo families, has become a thing of worry to the Senate Vice Committee Chairman on the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Senator Anthony Agbo.

According to Senator Agbo, unless the Igbos step-up their procreation rate by having more children, rather than restraining themselves to fewer children, the Igbos may in the nearest future become endangered specie in the Nigeria polity.

Agbo laments that whereas other tribes or race in the country have continued to increase their population by taking more wives and giving birth to many children, the Igbo have restrained themselves to one man, one wife, lamenting further that even in the case of one man one wife, the Igbo couples have resorted to the western life of having only one or two children.

Agbo said he was not oblivious of the economic situation, especially in the face of global meltdown, but that he is more worried that it   was even the affluent families of Ndigbo that have decided to have fewer children,  appealing to the Ndigbo to increase their population since politics is all about number.

The Senator representing Ebonyi North senatorial district said, “among all the problems that have bedeviled the Igbo man, the greatest of them which I am seeing now is the danger of population.”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/10/06/senator-laments-low-birth-rate-among-ndigbo/

This Senator can give birth to as much as 10 children as he wants and not disturb us with with his cave mentality.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Ibime(m): 12:00pm On Oct 06, 2009
hehehehehe. . . . . bush man.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Nobody: 12:54pm On Oct 06, 2009
The situation in the country hasn't properly taken care of the children already existing and this man wants more children to come and suffer in Nigeria.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by ikeyman00(m): 12:58pm On Oct 06, 2009
haaa

leader right??

on way

babbons IN=babbon OUT
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 06, 2009
Will that make ibo stronger in nigeria?, cuz i wondered why he's canvassing for an overpopulated igbo that will not add anything meaningful to nigeria than nuisance in alaba market,
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by 9ijaprince(m): 1:29pm On Oct 06, 2009
@ bluetoot: what do you mean by constituting nuisance at alaba market?
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 06, 2009
is this a campaign for Igbo males to be allowed to take more wives vis a vis the nairaland argument about polygamy contributing to high population among other tribes?

These politicians get eyes, ears and noses for ground sha.

Though in all fairness the polygamy revolution among Igbo males has been gathering steam for a while. Its not a new thing.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by adconline(m): 3:29pm On Oct 06, 2009
this man freaking crazy. he thinks that population is power. maybe he needs to  be lectured by chinese on why they are strick on population growth.

Mr bluetooth you should get out of your narrow minded train and see that  sustainability of population is the way to go. If u problem is Alaba market, go ask JAMB why  they are more alaba market drop outs  trying to get admission into higher institutions.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Ikengawo: 4:39pm On Oct 06, 2009
this guy is a fucking idiot and doesn't understand a low birth rate increase the chances of a groups success signficantly and is a sign of higher education and quality of living.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Onlytruth(m): 5:22pm On Oct 06, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin I'm too scared to agree with the man grin
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by chosen04(f): 2:05pm On Oct 07, 2009
Where do we go from here?
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by donjon: 2:14pm On Oct 07, 2009
Dey havent provided for the ones on ground! And yet they want more?
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 07, 2009
~Bluetooth:

Will that make ibo stronger in nigeria?, cuz i wondered why he's canvassing for an overpopulated igbo that will not add anything meaningful to nigeria than nuisance in alaba market,

I'd be very interested to see what alaba market would become if and when igbo's are asked to leave

donjon:

Dey havent provided for the ones on ground! And yet they want more?

you do need anyone tell u that Igbo's lead and live better lives compared to any other tribe in Nigeria.
The question here is not the ability of an igbo man to provide for his family/families.   It is more of continuity.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Dede1(m): 9:02pm On Oct 07, 2009
I could not believe the number of haters of Ndigbo that came out of wood-walk to audaciously attack the personality of the Senator from Ebonyi State and heavy-handedly impugned the character of the statesman.

I do not give a slightest hoot about the comments of the non-Igbo cretins that characterized the statement of Senator Agbo as sacrilegious. However, I am totally piqued by brainless and goofy comments towards the Senator from chaps that may called themselves Igbo.

Believe me, the aforementioned Senator might not be a prophet but his comments regarding the dwindling population of Ndigbo could be regarded as a lamentable gospel from the creator.

There are few incoherent drivels posted by couple of latent idiots whose main stock of trade is hatred for the Ndigbo. One such slowpoke alluded to a constituted public nuisance at Alaba market and another fool pointed out how the Ndigbo may have issues feeding their kids. What an irony of malign idiosyncrasy? Typical Igbo parents, if required, will crack palm kernel all day in the process of seeing their offspring through university studies. To these morons, I pledge that you jump off cliff and break a neck.

In the history of the cesspit called Nigeria, there is no healthy Igbo person that turned a pan-handler. But this could be said about certain ethnic groups in Nigeria and yet the men from these ethnicities are found with at least two or more wives. As always with case of Nigeria, some of loudmouthed maggots would feel happy to jump on the back of the Senator from Igboland but tend to keep blind eyes on the composition of the pan-handlers on the streets of Nigeria and its correlation with ethnicities other than Igbo.

In the lure of impending disintegration of the colonial contraption called Nigeria, the resultant nation states must engage in wars of attrition and expansionism. Ndigbo should need able bodied men to withstand the carnage that would trail the demise of the jungle called Nigeria. Olusegun Obasanjo alone could supply the Oduduwa Republic with a battalion of infantry soldiers and the same goes to Alhaji Atiku to Arewa. But Dr. Ekwueme could not supply the Igboland Repubulic with two soldiers.

My people say that Igwe bu ike.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by sjeezy8: 9:20pm On Oct 07, 2009
The man is 100% correct, I said it in another thread that a WHOLE tribe that is mostly monogamous in a 60-70% polygamous populated country will sooner or later be marginilized. In a country where ethnicity still plays the biggest role in politics one will HAVE to start populating more.

The sign of higher education and better quality of living, come with the expense of a 0% birth rate for a paricular region, country or ethnicity. White people in America arent populating anymore its the immigrants, to the point many whites feel, they might become the minority in the future. How ironic lol

In Europe which has the highest literacy rate and quality of living there population is aging rapidly and they are worried about  immigration esp from non european countries.

link=topic=333388.msg4677304#msg4677304 date=1254832191:

Europe, East and West, wrestles with falling birthrates - Europe - International Herald Tribune
The number of elderly already exceeds the number of young people in many countries, and the European Union's executive arm, alarmed by the trend, estimates that the bloc will have a shortfall of 20 million workers by 2030 if the low birthrates persist.

Immigration from non-European countries, already highly contentious across the EU, would not be sufficient to fill the gap even if Europe's relatively homogenous countries were willing to embrace millions of foreign newcomers, experts say.

"You just can't integrate so many people," said Katharina von Schnurbein, the EU spokeswoman for employment and social affairs. "It is a very sensitive issue."
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/03/world/europe/03iht-birth.2683302.html

Which could also be why many are trying to tighten immigration laws for those from 3rd world countries esp Africa.

Igbos have the highest rate of middle class in their population no doubt, but population wise it could mean they are no longer populating as much as other ethnicities. Reasons could be the males aren't prone to marrying outside tribe, or the males aren't polygamus as they used to be etc . . . . . .
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Kobojunkie: 9:25pm On Oct 07, 2009
Oya @Asha80, start pumping out Ibo babies. Your senator calls for you to mobilize and make more babies!!!  grin grin , our biafran soldiers of tommorow ( jking). Roflmao!!

The quicker you get can get them babies out there, the sooner the dream will be realized. Roflmao!!!

Roflmao!!! Oh Lord, make you help us ooo!!!! See how person wey suppose to represent the population dey think ooo!! Roflmao!!
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by asha80(m): 9:32pm On Oct 07, 2009
Of what use are children i can not adequately take care of?The senator is a ram.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Ibime(m): 9:41pm On Oct 07, 2009
Dede1:

I could not believe the number of haters of Ndigbo that came out of wood-walk to audaciously attack the personality of the Senator from Ebonyi State and heavy-handedly impugned the character of the statesman.

I do not give a slightest hoot about the comments of the non-Igbo cretins that characterized the statement of Senator Agbo as sacrilegious. However, I am totally piqued by brainless and goofy comments towards the Senator from chaps that may called themselves Igbo.

Believe me, the aforementioned Senator might not be a prophet but his comments regarding the dwindling population of Ndigbo could be regarded as a lamentable gospel from the creator.

There are few incoherent drivels posted by couple of latent idiots whose main stock of trade is hatred for the Ndigbo. One such slowpoke alluded to a constituted public nuisance at Alaba market and another fool pointed out how the Ndigbo may have issues feeding their kids. What an irony of malign idiosyncrasy? Typical Igbo parents, if required, will crack palm kernel all day in the process of seeing their offspring through university studies. To these morons, I pledge that you jump off cliff and break a neck.

In the history of the cesspit called Nigeria, there is no healthy Igbo person that turned a pan-handler. But this could be said about certain ethnic groups in Nigeria and yet the men from these ethnicities are found with at least two or more wives. As always with case of Nigeria, some of loudmouthed maggots would feel happy to jump on the back of the Senator from Igboland but tend to keep blind eyes on the composition of the pan-handlers on the streets of Nigeria and its correlation with ethnicities other than Igbo.

In the lure of impending disintegration of the colonial contraption called Nigeria, the resultant nation states must engage in wars of attrition and expansionism. Ndigbo should need able bodied men to withstand the carnage that would trail the demise of the jungle called Nigeria. Olusegun Obasanjo alone could supply the Oduduwa Republic with a battalion of infantry soldiers and the same goes to Alhaji Atiku to Arewa. But Dr. Ekwueme could not supply the Igboland Repubulic with two soldiers.

My people say that Igwe bu ike.

My friend sharrap dia! cool

Igbo land is already overpopulated!
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Kobojunkie: 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2009
asha 80:

Of what use are children i can not adequately take care of?The senator is a ram.

No be leader of Ndigbo again  the man be? Roflmao!!! I can imagine how many others like him Ibos have out there representing 'em. Roflmao!!! 

I mean you already have some Ibos on here who are self-proclaimed Biafran advocates agreeing with him. Imagine the plight of Ibo women who allow themselves be dragged on by dingbats like these. Roflmao!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by AloyEmeka3: 10:05pm On Oct 07, 2009
While people are busy looking for ways to overcome poverty, Nigerians are canvassing for ethnic population in order to gain lion shares through quota system. Polygamy is the biggest contributor of poverty and it's a pity that those who still canvass for it do not care about the economic impact on their lives. Of course, many igbos in this generation do not produce more than 3 children and most of them will tell you that they want the number they can afford to feed and send to school comfortably without denying themselves the necessary things in life.

Here is a senator[supposedly educated] canvassing for more population even though he is from the most impoverished part of igboland. It's easy to impregnate a woman but the real test of a man is to take care of the fruits of that pregnancy until adulthood. Breeding alayes and almajiris are not the best ways to increase wealth in 21st century. When farming was the only way to sustain families, polygamy made some sense and help increase wealth in homes but this is the 21st century. Wake up black people.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by AloyEmeka3: 10:16pm On Oct 07, 2009
sjeezy8:

The man is 100% correct, I said it in another thread that a WHOLE tribe that is mostly monogamous in a 60-70% polygamous populated country will sooner or later be marginilized. In a country where ethnicity still plays the biggest role in politics one will HAVE to start populating more.

You have been playing ethnic politics for 49 years and look at where it left you. Are you happy with the situation of Nigeria now?. If ethnic politics is going to solve the problem, it would have done it way before you were born. If Nigeria has a welfare structure, then igbos will soon be turned into slaves who work and pay taxes to raise children from other ethnic group. Since there is no welfare structure, they have nothing to lose besides, will you want to be on welfare or be the one paying the taxes?.

The sign of higher education and better quality of living, come with the expense of a 0% birth rate for a paricular region, country or ethnicity. White people in America arent populating anymore its the immigrants, to the point many whites feel, they might become the minority in the future. How ironic lol
Because the white people know the value of quality over quantity. It's better to have one educated child than 10 children who are touts and armed robbers.

Its not as if we have a social structure in Nigeria that will help these kids. How can a man earning N100k a month have 10 children from 3 women who collectively earn less than N50k/month?. How will he raise them appropriately and pay their school fees to university level?. Sometimes, we use our prick to program poverty into our generation to the third degree. A family like that will need a miracle to escape poverty in the near future and most of them will not achieve their full potentials because of lack of resources. Their parents themselves will also live a life of penury and pain.

Igbos have the highest rate of middle class in their population no doubt, but population wise it could mean they are no longer populating as much as other ethnicities. Reasons could be the males aren't prone to marrying outside tribe, or the males aren't polygamus as they used to be etc . . . .
. .
Inter-tribal marriage has nothing to do with it. It has more to do with standard of living. Igbos don't like their children walking around aimlessly in the neighborhood and if you go to igboland, it affects the integrity of their father if his children are unkempt.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by AloyEmeka3: 10:26pm On Oct 07, 2009
Onlytruth:

grin grin grin grin grin grin I'm too scared to agree with the man  grin

Lets wait for Udezue to come and give his ethnically charged opinion. I do hope BecomeRich replies him with maps.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by becomrich15: 10:44pm On Oct 07, 2009
this Senator Anthony Agbo go kill person. This man must be joking. This man is funny.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by asha80(m): 10:49pm On Oct 07, 2009
becomrich,:

this Senator Anthony Agbo go kill person. This man must be joking. This man is funny.

shocked Irony
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by mekuslogan: 10:49pm On Oct 07, 2009
Family size (large or small) is a personal/family business. Its negative effect has been telling on Hausa and average Yoruba families who remain mostly impoverished compared to an average Igbo family. That said, Igbos should not overpopulate themselves because of the tribal politics of Nigeria. After all, Nigeria will soon perish and a moderate Igbo population will be good for a Biafran country.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 07, 2009
Low birth rate must be happening among the educated Igbos maybe (not), because in general Igbos tend to have large families with many children, even among the ones with only one wife.

Like i said, its simply a way of encouraging more Igbo men to take on multiple wives.

Una no go say I no talk am.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by udezue(m): 10:53pm On Oct 07, 2009
Bia Aloy, leave me alone grin

The senator can 1st start by having 20 kids and raising them up to be useful ppl not alaye and almajiri. He can also raise other kids too like that.

I don't think the man is really okay mentally coz overpopulating Igbo land won't do us any good but more harm. The highest any couple can have should be 6.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 07, 2009
I hope Igbo women would also have the rights to these sexual liberation. kiss We also want to aid in our population build up. Let Igbo women start getting belle for Chukwudi, Eze, Chinedu, Asha, Onlytruth, Dede while in her husband's house kiss kiss.  It's all for the good of the tribe. kiss kiss
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by AloyEmeka3: 11:15pm On Oct 07, 2009
becomrich,:

No map? Are you kidding me?. We need to see the current population of igboland from your satellite figures so we can easily look for ways to rectify it. Igbo men will be mandated henceforth to take extra wives or face life jail. I don't know why igbo men like to chicken out when it comes to marrying women and impregnating them.  In a nation like Nigeria, it is highly suicidal to do family planning. You should be an active crusader for your tribe if you want to amount to anything in politics.

Federal Republic Of Nigeria
Motto: Tribe first, politics 2nd and family 3rd/who cares.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by AloyEmeka3: 11:18pm On Oct 07, 2009
tpia.:

Low birth rate must be happening among the educated Igbos maybe (not), because in general Igbos tend to have large families with many children, even among the ones with only one wife.

Like i said, its simply a way of encouraging more Igbo men to take on multiple wives.

Una no go say I no talk am.
Not the 21st C generation of igbo nuclear families. It's very rare to find young igbo couples with more than 4 children unless they are looking for a male child. 90% of them have 2 or 3 children and no plan of having more.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Kobojunkie: 11:21pm On Oct 07, 2009
Which one be 90%? Even out here in the US, many of the young ibo couples I have have at least 3, more have 4 or more.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by grafikdon: 11:30pm On Oct 07, 2009
The senator is entitled to his opinion. However, he will have to do a lot more to to sell me the idea of having more than two children, because to me, the idea of having more than two children sends a chill up my spine.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Suggestions On How To Improve The Nigerian Police / Nigeria Airways Was A Failure – Obasanjo / 10 Lag Buses Seized In Ota, After Fashola Impounded Obasanjo’s Farm Vehicle.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.