Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,753 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo (3886 Views)

See The N6million Wristwatch This Senator’s Daughter Got From Her Mom (PHOTO) / PHOTO - Who Was This Senator Reporting To Buhari In Saraki's Presence? / One Word For This Senator? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by mekuslogan: 3:02pm On Oct 08, 2009
bawomolo:

laguage right?

mumu

First, na your papa and mama be mumu.

Secondly, I recognize a typo error when one stares at me, but I also recognize a blatant inability to write.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by sjeezy8: 3:33pm On Oct 08, 2009
mekuslogan:

First, na your papa and mama be mumu.

Secondly, I recognize a typo error when one stares at me, but I also recognize a blatant inability to write.

write? or type

Lol ode
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Fhemmmy: 4:59pm On Oct 08, 2009
Let us leave the dude alone to catch his fun.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by AloyEmeka3: 8:15pm On Oct 08, 2009
tpia.:

gbam. The bolded sums up your personal exposure.

@ the rest: you obviously have limited exposure in every other area you mentioned as well.

The Igbos you know have 2-3 children. Others know of Igbos who have more. Maybe in your state (are you Igbo?) there's small families and low birthrate. It doesnt have to apply to everywhere else in Igboland.

End of story.

Or is it that you're wishing its true for your own private reasons?

what does this mean? Are you saying white rev fathers should start having families or do you mean why arent white Cathoilcs having large familes?

Like I explained before, whites as a whole tend not to carry religion on their heads like Africans. In the past, white Catholics also had large families and some still do. The Kennedys for instance. The advent of modern birth control and women's emancipation helped shape the modern smaller family size you see today among whites in geenral and white Catholics in particular.

Believe what you wish but religion has never been a deciding factor in procreation apart from abortions in igboland. Cultural influences dominates religious influences. I am not sure religion has similar impact among other ethnic groups. Do catholic yoruba monogamous families have more children than non catholic monogamous yoruba families?
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Kobojunkie: 8:19pm On Oct 08, 2009
Aloy`Emeka:

Believe what you wish but religion has never been a deciding factor in procreation apart from abortions in igboland. Cultural influences dominates religious influences. I am not sure religion has similar impact among other ethnic groups. Do catholic yoruba monogamous families have more children than non catholic monogamous yoruba families?

Religion has greater influence on Ibos to this day, than one can claim cultural beliefs do. As for the yoruba catholics, I have to say I have only known a handful of those myself. I can say that most of the Catholic churches in the west are dominated by Ibos.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by AloyEmeka3: 8:25pm On Oct 08, 2009
Well not when they are about to have sex. Religion may influence them to stay married even when divorce is imminent but not how and when to knock up their wives.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Nobody: 8:41pm On Oct 08, 2009
Aloy`Emeka:

so what makes you think religion- Christianity or otherwise- doesnt have a big influence on traditional culture?

not sure about the difference in family size between Catholics and non-Catholic Yorubas. I doubt there's much though monogamous Catholics would be more likely to have larger families of maybe 5-6 and above.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by blackspade(m): 9:14pm On Oct 08, 2009
This guy is a fool. Nigeria is already seeing a youth bulge; before we even think about asking anyone to have more babies, we have to ensure the ones now will have jobs when they reach working age.

When Nigeria industrializes and the fertility rate goes below 2.1 (replacement level), then we can advocate for higher fertility rates. Right now, higher fertility rates are the last thing we need.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by nwaigbomg(m): 8:48pm On Aug 11, 2011
hmmmmmmmmm
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Obiagu1(m): 9:17pm On Aug 11, 2011
I can't disagree with the senator because he is 101% correct.

In the next 100 - 150 years, Igbo will be downgraded to a minor ethnic group.

For us to compensate for our monogamous way of life brought to us by Christianity, we should be having at least 4 kids.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by tpia5: 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2011
^Having fewer kids is mostly prevalent among the richer population. So it must be mainly the rich ones at home and also the ones in the diaspora who are having fewer children.

In addition, i should think some lifestyles would preclude the option of having children.

Also, this phénomenon of low birth rate, if true, affects other parts of nigeria as well, not igbo alone.

Since many nigerians are currently overseas while a large segment of nigerian youths are busy with 419 and not ready to settle down anytime soon. Baby mamas here and there, living life on the lam, etc.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by PointB: 9:50pm On Aug 11, 2011
Marriage: Polygamy good for men, bad for women

The research reveals that scientifically, polygamy is good for men but bad for women. The research shows that while polygamists have many children, polygamy has a contrary effect on women involved. For every wife added to the fold, the average number of children per wife dropped by one. This implies that women who are married into polygamous homes have fewer children than women in monogamous ones.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110304358050
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by sunkoye: 10:09pm On Aug 11, 2011
Nigerian senators opinions don't usually find a way up Nigerian news cover frequently but when it did, it is mostly for a weired reasons. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by tpia5: 10:56pm On Aug 11, 2011
i think at some point many nations are forced to up their population figures by encouraging immigration from outside.

for example in the US you find a large percentage of the AA population is actually of carribean and latin american descent.

and so on and so forth.

it gets repeated in country after country- the population or birth rate starts falling as the economy stabilizes/drops or people emigrate elsewhere.
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Adejoro74: 3:20am On Apr 30, 2012
In the face of increasing poverty in Nigeria, Igbos need to keep a low population growth. When things improve, they can repopulate. After all, what does it take to make babies? grin grin grin grin
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Nobody: 4:46am On Feb 04, 2013
RE: This Senator can give birth to as much as 10 children as he wants and not disturb us with with his cave mentality=====IT IS THAT {if I may borrow your crude expression} 'CAVE MENTALITY' THAT HAS GROWN OTHER TRIBES IN NIGERIA...IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO KNOW HOW MANY CHILDREN YOUR MOTHER HAD{oh dear, does that mean she crawled out from under a stone before crwling into your fathers cave?} YOU MUST BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR STATEMENTS OR YOU MAY FIND THAT YOU ARE SERIOUSLY ABUSING YOUR MOTHER!

OH, DO NOT FORGET THIS IS THE SAME METHOD THAT CHAGED ELECTIONS IN USA ... WITH THE LATINO COMMUNITY HAVING MORE CHILDREN AND THE WHITES HAVING LESS....THE WHITES HAVE STARTED RAISING ALARM WITH STATISTICS THAT SUGGEST THAT IF THIS TREND GOES ON IN THE USA, THEN BY 2050, THE 'FORMER' MINORITY WOULD BECOME THE MAJORITY VOTERS!

DO REMOVE YOUR COLONIAL CAP, WILL YOU? IT'S 2013!
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Dreamkiller: 2:45am On Aug 04, 2018
this senator is telling the truth
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Dreamkiller: 2:57am On Aug 04, 2018
Igbos wake up this is the time to act
Re: Imagine This:senator Laments Low Birth Rate Among Ndigbo by Dreamkiller: 3:14am On Aug 04, 2018
wake up

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OBJ Unexpectedly Visits Jos / Gov. Sylva Heads To Court To Challenge His Disqualification By PDP / Amaechi Proceeds On Leave? SSG May Take Over Power.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.