Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,800 members, 7,810,080 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? (19574 Views)

5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by timilehing(m): 12:40pm On Sep 12, 2016
Manual all the way
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Sep 12, 2016
pek:
Any person who has driven for a long time and really knows how to drive will definitely prefer manual transmission. When you are driving a manual transmission, you are in control. Nearly had an accident because the auto I was driving didn't change to gear four fast enough as I wanted to overtake.

Most of you don't know how to drive.

It's very evident here. Overtaking when there's not enough clearance on the other side. An experienced driver knows to time his moves. You give atleast 14 to 20 feet behind the car. Sometimes you need to slow down and allow the vehicle in front gain enough distance then you do incremental acceleration. By the time you are over taking. You are already running at your needed speed. No need revving like a mad man and having near mishaps with oncoming vehicle.

The difference between a clean overtake and a nasty one is prolly a few seonds or a minute gain. Would you risk yourlife and face a 50/50 ratio of death just for 2 minutes gain?

I see dumbledrums just busting out of the back of a car to overtake and it's when they are in the middle of the car they start revving.. No wonder we have lots of deaths occuring from car accidents and wrong overtaking.

If you driving long distance and want to arrive early. The rule of thumb is to maximise long stretches of the road and slow down considerably at intersections and curvy areas and those are the places you have to most time your overtaking.

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Pabloosas(m): 12:49pm On Sep 12, 2016
Manual for highways and auto for city drives.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 12, 2016
FxHouse:

Some automatic cars have the same feature...try driving an automatic car with tiptronic gear and you would see yourself driving an "automatic-manual." This is because it has the normal PRND and then S gear level, on the S, you can choose to remain on a particular gear level for as long as you want to and then switch to a higher level or a lower level when you feel the need to. You could actually do this same thing you talked about, like move from a lower gear to a higher gear and back to a lower gear to gather momentum and switch to a higher gear almost immediately. Ford escape 2014 has that button on the side of the stick, and I'm sure alot of recent automatic cars have it too. Seen it on a highlander 2009, a KIA RIO 2015. Look out for the last selection of most recent automatic cars, you would find something like - and + signs. They put you in charge and allow you take full control of driving, just like manual cars. Why get just one, when you can get both in automatic car. You could switch between manual and automatic. Try reading about Tiptronic gears too, they were mostly common in german cars, though the features are coming up more in newer models of all brands of cars.

CC ladymercedes

Feel free to ask questions.

Informative.. Thanks.
Till i come across driving any of those latest machines.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

The gear of Mercedes-Benz is on another level. Very smooth.

My dad once had a Mercedes-Benz E-class W124, popularly known as the V-Boot. I drove it once. I was 15 then, and everything looked oversized.

But despite the size, the steering wheel, the clutch, the gear (5-speed manual) were very easy to manipulate.

Now, that's one manual car I'd consider driving again.

I learnt driving with a Benz 200, it's was pretty straight forward, all by myself too. I used to be a fan of Benz back in the days but now, i prefer BMWs, they look more simpler and compact.. Especially the headlights.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 12, 2016
EgunMogaji:
This belongs in the joke section, I haven't laughed so hard in years.

And to think that I carry the same passport with these characters angry

Why? What makes it so funny?
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Saicology212: 1:33pm On Sep 12, 2016
ExpressBooking:
Manual transmission rocks my boat. It is preferred by very professional drivers as it gives you total control,maneuverability and stunts you need at any given time. That's only if you know how to get what you need out of it.
That is ehn....yu just spoke my mind. Has it occurred to anyone that all F1 and sports car only carry manual transmission? And for those complaining about driving a stick shift in traffic and hold-ups, PLEASE, disengage the gear and free the clutch when you are not moving. Constantly depressing the clutch pedal with your foot will damage your clutch bearings. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Having said that, sufferhead or not, the next car I'm going to buy, and the one after that, and the one after that will all be sticks cool cool cool cool
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by chatwithbruno(m): 1:44pm On Sep 12, 2016
my dear...it's okay to like manual cars...but truth be told...automatic cars are far more better than manual cars as the manual vehicles are gradually fading...

how many people go to car stands today to buy manual cars!!

and who buys a car today for stunts??

if I need anything stunt related...I would get myself a power bike for that and not a car...

manual cars are for those that are not very reach enough to get automatic vehicles...as automatic transmission is a little on the high side...

people should learn to accept the truth than faking up reality...

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by gentlegenius(m): 1:56pm On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Wow... I'm short of words.

Thank you, I'm flattered. smiley
You don't have to thank me for acknowledging your vast beauty. It's just that my conscience will belabor me if I notice such beauty without paying due respect to the 'Architect in chief'.
Don't be flattered my dear, you are only lucky to be a vessel used by God to display the beauty and wonders of his creation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by peterbello(m): 2:11pm On Sep 12, 2016
x240:

Most of you don't know how to drive.

It's very evident here. Overtaking when there's not enough clearance on the other side. An experienced driver knows to time his moves. You give atleast 14 to 20 feet behind the car. Sometimes you need to slow down and allow the vehicle in front gain enough distance then you do incremental acceleration. By the time you are over taking. You are already running at your needed speed. No need revving like a mad man and having near mishaps with oncoming vehicle.

The difference between a clean overtake and a nasty one is prolly a few seonds or a minute gain. Would you risk your

Bros is driving by the book in Nigeria. Lmao. One 'Big Joe' bus will squeeze itself into that 20 feet space you are giving and before u know it, 17 other vehicles would have displaced you. The down-shifting also requires good timing.

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by eRex(m): 2:25pm On Sep 12, 2016
You are preferring manual, what are you actually driving presently.. manual has its style no doubt.. I used to dislike auto until I drove an auto with a sound Gear system, forget all those overtaking, down shifting gear stories in manual, Auto was well designed to select the right gear when u desire it..try your cruise control and see what happens.. after you have driven auto for a year, you will know you have just been punishing urself.
Manual Rocks..
Auto Rocks..

I like both depending on the circumstance.

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by TIBLOSMITH(m): 2:42pm On Sep 12, 2016
At the end of the 5th round, Manual Transmission got 20points while Automatic got 10points....A round of applause for them please!

*Inthespiritofthemanualbusiness* ...what's the appropriate time gap before changing gears?

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 12, 2016
peterbello:

Bros is driving by the book in Nigeria. Lmao. One 'Big Joe' bus will squeeze itself into that 20 feet space you are giving and before u know it, 17 other vehicles would have displaced you. The down-shifting also requires good timing.
Imagine after leaving 20ft a "young shall grow" bus will conveniently squeeze itself into that space, then he gives that another 20ft, a tipper squeezes itself in emitting all the smoke in this world he gives another 20ft. How many feet will he give before he finds himself in front of his compound where he started the journey?
Down shifting is an essential skill in driving, even that ability has been introduced to some autos such that when cruising at a certain gear and u suddenly slam the throttle it downshifts to pick up speed.

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Posman(m): 3:15pm On Sep 12, 2016
I drive Manual
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Posman(m): 3:20pm On Sep 12, 2016
CLOSED
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Mcoldsoja(m): 3:25pm On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Not really smiley

"Still I Rise"? No, not from him.

Maya Angelou?
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Ifedayosteven(m): 3:42pm On Sep 12, 2016
Saicology212:

That is ehn....yu just spoke my mind. Has it occurred to anyone that all F1 and sports car only carry manual transmission? And for those complaining about driving a stick shift in traffic and hold-ups, PLEASE, disengage the gear and free the clutch when you are not moving. Constantly depressing the clutch pedal with your foot will damage your clutch bearings. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Having said that, sufferhead or not, the next car I'm going to buy, and the one after that, and the one after that will all be sticks cool cool cool cool
I just want to add this. most f1 and sport car carry semi automatic transmission (SAT) . clutching and declutching is a tedious affair, so it is removed in the SAT card. It uses electronic sensors,
pneumatics, processors and actuators to execute
gear shifts on input from the driver or by a
computer. Nonetheless, both modes of transmission rocks depending on which ever one you like.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 12, 2016
Mcoldsoja:

Maya Angelou?

Yes

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by ogunvic41(m): 4:02pm On Sep 12, 2016
nurey:
Those of you beating chest on top manual just drive from Ajah to ikorodu in the evening for a month and come back to me and let's know how far.

As much as I love manual before even buying a car there are certain factors I must look at. I can't drive manual in traffic for too long it gives me "paja paja" if you don't know the meaning ask baba tawa the taxi driver

Modified
Most of you saying manual is the bomb I can see that you have never sat at the wheels talk less of owning a car. Driving manual in traffic regularly messes with the joint in the left leg, it's exercise right but in traffic it isn't, stop misleading people always say the truth. I have driven both transmission over along period and I know manual will outclass auto In highway driving. But in Lagos traffic please am begging you it's suicide using manual.

Those of you saying you can use manual just like my mum told my daddy when he was also too hard headed to leave manual, "aboh lon fi Ara si"

Have you seen automatic danfo? They are mostly manual.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by titosantana(m): 4:18pm On Sep 12, 2016
Uchihaitaci:

I would derail a continent for you. How you doing sweetness? hope you is having a great holiday? What say we crash, burn and decimate this holiday plans together?

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Mcoldsoja(m): 4:26pm On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Yes

Confamento ekselente!

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by nurey(m): 4:42pm On Sep 12, 2016
ogunvic41:

Have you seen automatic danfo? They are mostly manual.

Its not about that. They are looking at the cost, an automatic bus cost an arm and a leg besides the vanagon is not bought because of its manual, it's because of its reliability.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by titosantana(m): 4:49pm On Sep 12, 2016
I learnt with manual, and i drove it for years. I can never forget the first day I drove auto by mistake...I was like wow this is fun! And I made a vow never to use my money to buy manual grin.

And who says you can't race with auto? If you like jump your manual gear from 1 - 10, you can't outspeed me when I'm driving my V6.
Anyone that lives in Abuja would know we race alot.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by ogtavia(m): 5:20pm On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:
I, for one, won't drive a manual.

First of all, driving in Lagos traffic can be a b*tch! I can't imagine driving a manual car... with the clutching, and braking, and shifting of gear. Life's too short for dislocated shoulders and muscle pulls.

Secondly, I don't know when to shift. Gear one, after 5 seconds, I move to two, and I stay there till the car starts making weird noises, then I shift to three... in that manner.

After driving a car with Automatic transmission, nothing would make me drive manual.

Which would you rather drive, and why? A car with a manual transmission, or one with automatic transmission?
do u know Au boring it is to drive an automatic vehicle..i mean..with manual..u are active....u get the real driving thrills....manual tranny cant be phased out...automatic is cool..but on long journeys becomes boring....
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by kentozybee(m): 9:01pm On Sep 12, 2016
[quite author=nurey post=49278930]Those of you beating chest on top manual just drive from Ajah to ikorodu in the evening for a month and come back to me and let's know how far.

As much as I love manual before even buying a car there are certain factors I must look at. I can't drive manual in traffic for too long it gives me "paja paja" if you don't know the meaning ask baba tawa the taxi driver

Modified
Most of you saying manual is the bomb I can see that you have never sat at the wheels talk less of owning a car. Driving manual in traffic regularly messes with the joint in the left leg, it's exercise right but in traffic it isn't, stop misleading people always say the truth. I have driven both transmission over along period and I know manual will outclass auto In highway driving. But in Lagos traffic please am begging you it's suicide using manual.

Those of you saying you can use manual just like my mum told my daddy when he was also too hard headed to leave manual, "aboh lon fi Ara si" [/quote]Abi, "ara lo n fi abo si"
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 2:46am On Sep 13, 2016
If you can't drive manual, you have no right to apply for a license. Manual makes you more of a pro than lazy automatic.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by mamajaz(f): 5:55am On Sep 13, 2016
mamajaz:

You are beautiful, do you sell cars or just passionate about cars, nearly all your posts are car related.
Yeah, "tyres", that's the spelling jawe...
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Crixie(m): 6:04am On Sep 13, 2016
I don't know what to reply the person that said that people that prefer manual transmission are not Rich enough...Ok oh!
Go and price BMW M5 of year 2000 till 2016 compare the prices to Automatic corollas or camrys of the corresponding years!
Pls learn to respect people's choices...Some people will prefer auto others will love the manual tranny ...it's not a price thing! Btw the price difference between the two transmissions (for tokunbo) is usually not above 100-200k

2 Likes

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by adedammy007(m): 10:58am On Sep 15, 2016
ExpressBooking:
Manual transmission rocks my boat. It is preferred by very professional drivers as it gives you total control,maneuverability and stunts you need at any given time. That's only if you know how to get what you need out of it.
thanks my brother. ...manual rocks
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by adedammy007(m): 11:01am On Sep 15, 2016
Vorpal:
I just hope they don't phase out manual gears, cause that day, i will totally lose interest in driving henceforth.

Am still yet to get comfortable with automatic, it feels so odd and banal.

Take for example, i am moving at gear 3, so i want to overtake a long vehicle on time, i will proceed with the 3, then switch to gear 4 for a short time , then switch back to 3 and stomp on the gas pedal enough that jolts the speed up then when the gear has revved up enough put it back to 4, voilĂ !

How odd will it be pulling that trick on an automatic, if possible sef?
that's d fun of driving my brother. ...manual rocks
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nixon55(m): 7:47pm On Sep 15, 2016
For most folks betting their life on manual transmission cars you might want to read the article below because those manual cars are really going into extinction on luxury cars.

Years ago, it was easy to find a wide range of luxury cars with manual transmissions, as they were offered by virtually every manufacturer -- from BMW and Audi to Lexus and Mercedes-Benz. But that's no longer the case: If you're interested in buying a luxury car with a stick shift, you've probably already figured out that there aren't many options left. In fact, you might be wondering if there are any at all. We did a little research, and here's what we discovered.

No More Manuals

A few high-end car brands are out of the manual transmission game entirely. Such brands include Acura, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln and Volvo. If you want three pedals in your next luxury car, you'll want to forego visiting one of those brands' dealerships.

Down to One

A few luxury automakers are down to just one stick shift model in their entire product lineup. In the world of Mercedes-Benz, for instance, you can only get a stick shift in the base-level SLK250 roadster. To get an Infiniti with a manual transmission, you have to opt for the Q60S Coupe -- and there's some chance that model won't retain its manual when it's redesigned next year. Finally, Cadillac's sole manual transmission is offered in the ATS, while Buick only offers a stick shift in front-wheel-drive versions of its sporty Regal GS.

The Last Stick Shifts Standing

Fortunately for drivers who like to row their own gears, a few other luxury brands still offer a wider variety of manual transmission models.

Despite Porsche's lightning-quick dual-clutch PDK automatic, for instance, the famed German sports car manufacturer still offers three pedals in each of its sports cars: the Boxster, the Cayman and the 911. Manual transmissions are also still widely available in the BMW lineup, as the sporty luxury brand offers the feature in most versions of its Z4 roadster, 2 Series, 3 Series sedan and 4 Series coupe -- including the high-performance M3 and M4. It's the same story over at MINI, where you can get a stick shift with nearly all the automaker's premium hatchbacks. And Audi still offers three pedals in the A4 and A5, along with their sporty S4 and S5 counterparts.

Our Take

These days, "luxury car" seems synonymous with "automatic transmission" -- and given the level of refinement (and quick-shifting capabilities) of today's automatic gearboxes, it's easy to see why.

Still, if you're one of the few drivers out there looking for three pedals in your next luxury car, there are still a few available options to choose from.

Our only advice: Be prepared for a slightly lower resale value, as luxury cars with automatic transmissions tend to be in higher demand than stick-shift models.

http://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/can-you-still-get-a-luxury-car-with-a-manual-transmission-246971
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Ikenna351(m): 10:07pm On Sep 19, 2016
LadyMercedes:
I, for one, won't drive a manual.

First of all, driving in Lagos traffic can be a b*tch! I can't imagine driving a manual car... with the clutching, and braking, and shifting of gear. Life's too short for dislocated shoulders and muscle pulls.

Secondly, I don't know when to shift. Gear one, after 5 seconds, I move to two, and I stay there till the car starts making weird noises, then I shift to three... in that manner.

After driving a car with Automatic transmission, nothing would make me drive manual.

Which would you rather drive, and why? A car with a manual transmission, or one with automatic transmission?

Which is exactly what I hate! It's too stressful.

Some years back, my dad had a problem with his left knee. He was advised (by doctors), and warned (by his wife) to stop using his manual car, and use the auto instead. The guy no hear word.

I guess there's just something about it that people love.

It's a good thing to choose and decide what you want or prefer this to that. Gghhhhh

I, today, 01/07/2020, intentionally edited and deleted some free vital information I provided in the original post (05/11/2019), which I shared here to benefit those who can't afford my private consultancy services, but have now been removed since the free information is not valued and appreciated.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk

5 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria Hosts Worldwide Car Racing Organisation’s Regional Congress / Ondo Auto Rally In Pictures And Videos / 10 Facts About Bajaj You Might Not Believe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.