Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,204 members, 7,815,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself (45374 Views)

Rotimi Amaechi Meets With African Shipowners At Conference In Lagos. Photos / Burkina Faso Prime Minister Died Suddenly During A Press Conference In Turkey / Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by ezeagu(m): 12:10pm On Oct 22, 2009
KnowAll:

I don’t blame u for this statement if your brother-in-law was a sitting governor, what am I saying, a Chairman/ Councillor in one of the numerous LG in the 5 Igbo States u will be singing a different tune just like your Generalissimo. Nigeria will be the best thing since slice bread was discovered

"If you can't convince them confuse them."
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Afam(m): 4:02pm On Oct 22, 2009
ezeagu:

"If you can't convince them confuse them."

Quote of the year.

Goes to all the people that find it supremely difficult to make any logical contribution on this topic but would rather introduce diversions and irrelevant comments and lies just to make us take our eyes off the core issues.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by KnowAll(m): 5:12pm On Oct 22, 2009
@ Afam
Goes to all the people that find it supremely difficult to make any logical contribution on this topic but would rather introduce diversions and irrelevant comments and lies just to make us take our eyes off the core issues.

Why do u like dig yourself into a big hole just opening your big gob anyhow, I thought I have dealt with u, that reply by your compatriot is the most illogical statement I have ever come across " that Biafra and Ojukwu " are not inter connected or inter-related can u please supply me with any Biafra thread that has not got that man's name enmeshed in it.

It is like seperating a tortoise or a snail from its shell. If Ojukwu has moved on, u depleted soldiers I urge u guys move on with your lives.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by onemopol: 6:36pm On Oct 22, 2009
people should just relax with this ABURI ACCORD talk. The minorities in the Eastern region also wanted their form of "Aburi accord" which ojukwu was not ready to cede.

The british helped to strengthen the centre and weaken the regions when oil was discovered and the projections showed that strong regional governments would only birth monumental economic imbalance when the oil boom fully kicked off. The Eastern region was going to be miles ahead of the North economically . Ojukwu on the other hand wanted regional autonomy because the economic gains where mouth-watering for the east.

According to the TIME Magazine xray of the civil war, analyst found it too difficult to reconcile the high level discontent of the minorities in the Eastern region under Ojukwu and his(ojukwu's) lamentations then. If Aburi succeeded , the minorities where always going to wake up someday and ask Ojukwu for their own "ABURI".

Lets forget the past and move on guys.

1 Like

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Onlytruth(m): 6:37pm On Oct 22, 2009
KnowAll:

@ Afam

Why do u like dig yourself into a big hole just opening your big gob anyhow, I thought I have dealt with u, that reply by your compatriot is the most illogical statement I have ever come across " that Biafra and Ojukwu " are not inter connected or inter-related can u please supply me with any Biafra thread that has not got that man's name enmeshed in it.

It is like seperating a tortoise or a snail from its shell. If Ojukwu has moved on, u depleted soldiers I urge u guys move on with your lives.

@KnowAll

Can you define "move on" please?
By moving on, do you mean participating in the roguery called democracy "Nigerian style"? Does it mean sweeping everything under the carpet? And you still wonder why Nigeria has only moved in cirlces since 1970? I really pity the inhabitants of the Nigerian space. In your own view, Biafra was about nothing, right? It was all about the ego of one man, right? If that is the case, why can't Nigeria organize even a party primary for a gubernatorial election today (40 years after the war)?
Ol'boy, don't worry about the Biafran agitators! They are only getting ready to pick up the pieces of their lives once Nigeria dies in the midst of its own contradictions. Like ezeagu said, Biafra was never really about Ojukwu, which is why you have young Igbo men carrying the flag today. Nigeria needs to sort herself out. Sweeping things under the carpet don't work!
Even key actors on the Nigerian side know what to do today and Nigeria's foundation would be solidified. The main question is, would they do those things? So, this is not about Biafra. This is about Nigeria.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Onlytruth(m): 6:55pm On Oct 22, 2009
@KnowAll
How does a Nigerian youth move on when nothing is working We can't even generate electricity! We can't organize a reasonably fair election. We can't even have security in our homes. The youths can't even go to school and stay there. Meanwhile billions of dollars are exchanging hands yearly. People like me are driven by what I saw in the two and half years governorship of Chris Ngige in Anambra state. In those short years, I came to see that it is possibe for my corner of the world to be built to first world standards in under ten years! But guess what, I cannot even vote him in again because someone in Abuja is desperate to impose a candidate on us. We can't even choose our leaders! So, if that be the case, pray how can I "move on"? Those are the things that destroy Nigeria, not Biafran agitators.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by onemopol: 7:30pm On Oct 22, 2009
Onlytruth:

How does a Nigerian youth move on when nothing is working We can't even generate electricity! We can't organize a reasonably fair election. We can't even have security in our homes. The youths can't even go to school and stay there. Meanwhile billions of dollars are exchanging hands yearly. People like me are driven by what I saw in the two and half years governorship of Chris Ngige in Anambra state. In those short years, I came to see that it is possibe for my corner of the world to be built to first world standards in under ten years! But guess what, I cannot even vote him in again because someone in Abuja is desperate to impose a candidate on us. We can't even choose our leaders! So, if that be the case, pray how can I "move on"? Those are the things that destroy Nigeria, not Biafran agitators.

Yes , if the reports of a lot of Anambrarians is any thing to go by, then Ngige must have been very good in his short reign as governor. BUT DO YOUR REMEMBER THE IT IS THE SAME "ROGUERY DEMOCRACY" THAT PRODUCED HIM AND EVEN GAVE YOU AN OPPORTUNITY TO SEE THE OTHER SIDE OF GOVERNANCE?

I know Fashola still has a lot of work to do, but believe me if we have just 10 governors like him, we will forget all this secession talk.

There is still hope for this country.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Onlytruth(m): 7:45pm On Oct 22, 2009
one mopol:

Yes , if the reports of a lot of Anambrarians is any thing to go by, then Ngige must have been very good in his short reign as governor. BUT DO YOUR REMEMBER THE IT IS THE SAME "ROGUERY DEMOCRACY" THAT PRODUCED HIM AND EVEN GAVE YOU AN OPPORTUNITY TO SEE THE OTHER SIDE OF GOVERNANCE?

I know Fashola still has a lot of work to do, but believe me if we have just 10 governors like him, we will forget all this secession talk.

There is still hope for this country.
Your point is plausible and well noted, but I would respectfully disagree with the logic behind it. No rational person sets out to plan his/her future simply on luck, chance or happenstance. Progress must be planned and methodically implemented. There is an electoral reform bill which was prepared and written by men who wish Nigeria well. But guess what, it is being systematically sabotaged by the beneficiaries of the system. It may never see the light of day! A unitarist, non-performing and corrupt political party is scheming to retain power for 60 years. Keep your eyes on INEC and Iwu. Until there is a change there, all we are doing is hope that chance would throw up characters like Fashola and Ngige.

"Hope is not a strategy" - Kevin Madden
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by ezeagu(m): 9:35pm On Oct 22, 2009
KnowAll:

@ Afam

It is like seperating a tortoise or a snail from its shell. If Ojukwu has moved on,  u depleted soldiers I urge u guys move on with your lives.

Maybe the problem is your sight so let me put it like this:

[size=18pt]Gen. Ojukwu is not the end all and be all of Biafra. If he comes now and says that he will fight against Biafra, there is no reason for anybody to care, do you know why? Because it was never!, ever! about him, and guess what it will never be about him, and it wasn't even him that was pushing for secession, the Eastern community collectively were![/size]

I acknowledge the fact that Gen. Ojukwu is a part of Biafra, yes he was a very big part and he still is, but his last name is not 'Biafra' and all the land in 'Biafra' does not belong to him. Biafra was about the peoples of the ancient cultures of the area named the Bight of Biafra. It is Nigerian sense to think that just because a man is the leader of a state it also means he owns the state. If we go by your logic then when Gen. Ojukwu dies, the 'Biafran dream' would be over because according to you the two are inseparable. So if Winston Churchill had died in the middle of WWII, your telling me that the British would have rolled over and let the Germans invade them because they were fighting because of him?
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by cheikh: 12:33am On Feb 01, 2011
SapeleGuy
You will find it hard to find nations with more than 10 or 20 ethnicities that are co-existing peacefully. Even the UK with just 4, despite the similarities between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland realise that devolution is they way forward.

Why can't all of these 300 or so groups be equally represented? The short answer is that some people have a lot to lose if equality is allowed. These are the same ethnicities that cling religiously to their oppresive colonial priviledges as though they were god given rights.

Why should ancient and distinguished kingdoms like Calabar or Benin be subservient to a WAZOBIA tripartite? After all these were undefeated city states before colonial intervention.

Let us ditch the politics of I plenty pass you, even though it appears to be the most convenient option for some, it can never work. Let us focus on consensus and consultation to achieve equal rights and justice for ALL.

@SapeleGuy

Well, you've just hit the nail on the head with the Bolded above!
I'll go as far as saying that Our so called founding fathers, like the majority of so called 'independence' leaders/fighters were sincerely intellectually lazy, inept/shallow lacking in thorough historical/cultural awareness of their environment with the exception of perhaps Amilcar Cabral of Guinea Bissau/Cape Verde and perhaps Julius Nyerere of Tanzania. We have been 'dazzled' and conned by the 'hero' worship of our so called leaders for far too long that we now suffer from absolute Inertia. We can clearly see within this forum some people proudly declaring that the post is too long and some refusing to read outrightly but wish to make 'informed'/uninformed contribution. In some quarters it's almost impossible to critically review anything by our so called founding fathers from Awo - Zik without drawing some ire. what is it about us that makes most of us afraid to Think let alone Think the Unthinkable? What are we afraid of ? are we inherently Lazy, Wicked and Stupid or what angry sad
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by EzeUche2(m): 8:34am On Feb 01, 2011
This is the first time I am reading this. Very interesting read.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by bashr4: 3:22am On Jul 24, 2011
me too , informative topics like this never make front page, people prefer sticking to regular routine of tribal bashing, see how they ignored the aburi accord message itself and focused on ojukwu and biafra bashing, these people will never learn.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Nobody: 6:28am On Jan 30, 2012
Anti-Igbo/Anti-South East sentiments have brought Nigeria no good.This sentiment is ultimately behind the creation of Matitatsine, Boko Haram etc that has murdered so many ppl for so long.

Scotland will soon break away from the UK. this will render UK incapable of meddling in the breakup of Nigeria.

Thanks be to God,
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by 9jaIhail(m): 9:49am On Jan 30, 2012
oh God after reading this aburi conference i shake my head and said Nigeria has lost a great man ikemba one of nnewi
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 30, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

oh God after reading this aburi conference i shake my head and said Nigeria has lost a great man ikemba one of nnewi
The man never wanted a break up, the man was not a war monger. All he was saying, "if you cant treat us as eqauls, then we have no option that to stay away from you".

I had never sat down with Ojukwu one on one, so he never told me to love Biafra. Yet I love Biafra with passion.

When I was asked to write my state of origin at the back of the envelop containing my application letter to a company national interest, when a niece of mine was denied admission while those who scored less than herselft were admitted into a federal govt college, when Nigerian army officers sent to stop the killing of Igbos by Huasa/Fulani, joined the murders to contnue the killings, when the head of an Innocent man (Akaluka) was severed, put on spike and was paraded round the streets of kano, when some fellows are equiped by their kith and kin to undermine the Fed. Govt and refuse to recognise the constituion, the only logical thing for me to think about is Biafra.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by houvest: 2:24pm On Jan 30, 2012
The best Accord we never had. It is not too late to revisit it even though millions of lives, tens of years, loads of valuables , wealth and growth would have been saved. Nigeria  would by now have left the 3rd world and moved progressively towards the first world. The thoughts of the losses suffered by Nigeria at the foolishness that dictated this loss of opportunity is numbing and makes one want to cry. However no need to continue sinking into daydreams or nightmares produced by the Nostalgia. The future is here the opportunity beckons one again. The options are go back to Aburi, Conduct an SNC, submit to a UN supervised referendum or allow destructive seperation take its course.

What amazes me is that there are still opposers  like IBB to these constructive means of engagement or disengagement. What do they really hope to gain by consistently supporting the repression of truth? Are they intrinsically evil, killjoys, dogs-in-the-manger, sadists or just cowards scared of change? Well there is no stopping of an idea whose time has come. They just have to move over or they will be destroyed by the moving train. On Aburi I stand.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Dede1(m): 2:45pm On Jan 30, 2012
SapeleGuy:

You will find it hard to find nations with more than 10 or 20 ethnicities that are co-existing peacefully. Even the UK with just 4, despite the similarities between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland realise that devolution is they way forward.

Why can't all of these 300 or so groups be equally represented? The short answer is that some people have a lot to lose if equality is allowed. These are the same ethnicities that cling religiously to their oppresive colonial priviledges as though they were god given rights.

Why should ancient and distinguished kingdoms like Calabar or Benin be subservient to a WAZOBIA tripartite? After all these were undefeated city states before colonial intervention.

Let us ditch the politics of I plenty pass you, even though it appears to be the most convenient option for some, it can never work. Let us focus on consensus and consultation to achieve equal rights and justice for ALL.

Let me once more unequivocally state Republic of Igbo land is the very first option of Ndigbo in expected disintegration of Nigeria. I am baffled some ninnies are still hampering on representation of 250 or more ethnicities in Nigeria in case of disintegration.

I honestly do not give slightest hoot if Nigeria should degenerate into 250 countries or more. It is a silly copout for certain deluded individuals from the cesspit called Nigeria to continue the argument of representation of 250 ethnic groups or lack thereof in Nigeria when debate of disintegration comes up.

Ndigbo have never and will never stop any ethnic group from achieving sovereign status if such group has all it takes to sustain such huge endeavor.

I am fully in support of Republic of Igbo land.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Valon4ego(m): 2:56pm On Jan 30, 2012
I'm in renewed awe of this man after reading this article. Indeed a mighty iroko has fallen!
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by cheikh: 5:24am On Jan 31, 2012
houvest
What amazes me is that there are still opposers like IBB to these constructive means of engagement or disengagement. What do they really hope to gain by consistently supporting the repression of truth? Are they intrinsically evil, killjoys, dogs-in-the-manger, sadists or just cowards scared of change?

@^^ Well, you may call them all manner of names but they are realists who know where their "bread is buttered". Nigeria as is presently constituted is very much right and easier for rampant "lootocracy". Much of IBB's ascribed wealth is in Nigeria and protected appropriately by the selective ignorance and amnesia of the people. Much of our so called ruling elite love and will die for Nigeria as it is now because it facilitates their wicked tendencies and ill gotten wealth which might not be wholly safe if Nigeria disintegrates. It is not easy to steal and misbehave amongst your kinsmen and women without loss of face. In Nigeria of today, you can brazenly behave badly, loot and have the effrontery to show off or confront your detractors shamelessly. You can have your own private army or thugs and of course some small minded ethnic compatriots will always shout your messianic innocence and protection. I doubt it that one will go far within one's ethnic/national group with such brazen bad behaviour as prevalent in present day Nigeria. Laziness and mediocrity is enormously rewarded in present day Nigeria hence majority of the promoters of one Nigeria besides the very tiny minorities are inherently corrupt and lazy. They are easily satisfied with mediocrity and do not see anything wrong with our system of governance/arrangement. They are very much afraid of the words "National Conference", "equality", "democracy", "accountability" or "scrutiny", "confederation", True "federalism" or even worse "resource control". It is very possible to be in love with Nigeria as it is now "chaotic", most especially as most so called Nigerians are masochists lacking in honesty whatsoever even to self grin wink. We are inherently cowardly and fearful hence BH are held in awe. Nevertheless, I admire their guts and courage considering that they are originally a minority based group. They have proven that it is so easy to destabilise and dismantle Nigeria as we know it within six weeks as I have always mulled over such an hypothetical enterprise wink grin.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 27, 2013
okunoba: This topic 4 me as become redundant.

Talking about Biafra and the events that led to it with some Ibo`s is like talking about Islam to a fundamentalist Muslim who thinks the west is out to get Islam. The belief that people are out to get them is deeply rooted in their psychic.

If u tell the Muslim that if the twin towers was not blown up their wouldn`t have been the Afghan invasion or an excuse 4 America to attack Irag to get rid of Saddam. To him America just hates Muslims end of story, forgeting that the same Christan America and NATO fought to defend  Bosnian Muslims who were being killed by Christan Serbs.

The same with the Biafran story, tell them that if Northern leaders were not killed while the ones from the east were spared, the mas sacare of Igbo`s that took place wouldn`t have happened, explain to them that if the plan was to eliminate Igbo`s, that would have been done after Biafra surrendered, explain to them that if Igbo`s were so hated they wouldn`t be in all corners of the North making money and protected by the army anytime they are attacked, tell them that if they were so hated they wouldn`t dominate trade and have more top government officials than any other ethnic group besides the Hausa`s and maybe Yoruba`s. Tell them that the problem of the Igbo man is the same problem facing all Nigerians regardless of ethnicity. Tell him that the lack of Aburi is not the Nigerian problem, but the lack of good honest leaders who can improve our infrastructures, follow the rule of law and create an environment that is conducive 4 economic growth. He will still come back and say we are hated and marginalised, but who is not marginalised in that hell hole we call  "Black Africa"  The struggle of our people is one and it`s not an Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa thing it`s a struggle 4 the upliftment of Nigeria and indeed the black race.

The big fish always trying to eat the small fish, we forget that it`s not only these three ethnic groups that make up Nigeria.

are u just a fool or pretending to be one.
if the igbos in the north are not hated why then re they being killed. if they re not hated why the need for the army to protect them in the north.
why re they not killed in the north.
we in Lagos re Lucky the Yorubas re cowards if not maybe we ll suffer d same fate.

I think nigerians especially northerners need to be educated...
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by nku5: 5:22pm On Jul 27, 2013
okunoba: If I have to be honest I do not give a damn about the Aburi conference, it means jack sht to me. Written documents have never meant anything in Black Africa and the Aburi agreement wouldn`t have been any different. I have no reason to hate Ojukwu or Igbo people. I am only here because of my interest in current affairs and History especially black African. I think I should have the same right as everyone on this thread to debate and make comments. We don`t have to agree, but we should be open to different opinions without us resulting to personal insults and ethnic bigotry.

Guy, you are empty
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Mckennedy: 11:04am On Sep 15, 2014
So interesting frankly Ojukwu and others saw today's naija in 60s.

4 Likes

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Okuda(m): 11:40pm On Aug 28, 2017
okunoba:
If I have to be honest I do not give a damn about the Aburi conference, it means jack sht to me. Written documents have never meant anything in Black Africa and the Aburi agreement wouldn`t have been any different. I have no reason to hate Ojukwu or Igbo people. I am only here because of my interest in current affairs and History especially black African. I think I should have the same right as everyone on this thread to debate and make comments. We don`t have to agree, but we should be open to different opinions without us resulting to personal insults and ethnic bigotry.

And almost a decade later, your foolishness was still as fresh as ever... Damn..

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Atiku Ranks Number One, Buhari 12, On Twitter Trending Worldwide- Pictures / Policemen Clash With Soldiers Few Poles To Ebonyi Government House / Senate Screening Of Khadija Bukar Abba Ibrahim Was A Shame, Don't You Think?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.