Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself (45368 Views)

Rotimi Amaechi Meets With African Shipowners At Conference In Lagos. Photos / Burkina Faso Prime Minister Died Suddenly During A Press Conference In Turkey / Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by chosen04(f): 5:33pm On Oct 10, 2009
This post is really very educative.

But how come we are made to believe the Jan. 1966 coup was only an all IGBOs affair when actually all the regions as at then participated E.g?

NZEOGWU===Mid west.
IFEAJUNA==== East.
ADEMOYEGA===West
KPERA=======North.

I still cant even understand while we have also been made to believe that NO IGBO was killed during that coup. People killed includes

AKINTOLA===West.
BALEWA====North.
UNEGBE====EAST.
OKOTIE EBOH==Mid West.

Its obvious that someone had been feeding the nigerian pubic of lies of what actually happened during that period.

2 Likes

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by dayokanu(m): 6:34pm On Oct 10, 2009
^^^

When Nzeogwu made his infamous "we were five" comment, he made no reference to the rank of the "five". He was merely referring to the five designated strategic regional commanders of the coup. In fact, no less than nine Majors were originally billed to take part in the coup. These were Majors Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna, Ademoyega, Okafor, Anuforo, Chukwuka, Obienu, Onwuatuegwu and Chude-Sokei. Shortly before the coup, Chude-Sokei was posted overseas. On the coup day itself, Obienu failed to show, leaving seven Majors as participants. When it came to execution, the Majors designated five officers as regional commanders for the coup's execution. Of Nzeogwu's "five", there were "the two of us in the North" (Nzeogwu and Major Tim Onwuatuegwu), and three more in the South

You claimed Unegbe was killed? Who was Unegbe in the scheme of things?
We are talking about The Prime minister here.

We have 3 or 4 regions right North, West and east. The premier of the North and the west were killed So what happened to the eastern premier? Escaped.

In the 3-4 regions

The Political leaders were

North Sadauna followed by Balewa (Both were killed)
West Akintola and Awolowo (Akintola was killed Awolowo was in Jail so escaped)
Mid west Okotie Eboh- Minister of Finance was killed

What happed to Azikwe the President? he escaped

All eastern political leaders were left and other regins got hit.
You are now bringing a Unegbe into the fray, Can you count the number of soldiers from other regions who were killed also?

1 Like

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by naijaking1: 7:06pm On Oct 10, 2009
@Dayokanu
Unegbu was the GOC of one of the major army barracks. He was Igbo, and he was also the guy who almost frustrated the first coup, because he refused to release weapons. For his refusal, the Nzeogwu group killed him.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by naijaking1: 7:22pm On Oct 10, 2009
chosen04:

This post is really very educative.

But how come we are made to believe the Jan. 1966 coup was only an all IGBOs affair when actually all the regions as at then participated E.g?

NZEOGWU===Mid west.
IFEAJUNA==== East.
ADEMOYEGA===West
KPERA=======North.

I still cant even understand while we have also been made to believe that NO IGBO was killed during that coup. People killed includes[/b]AKINTOLA===West.
BALEWA====North.
[b]UNEGBE====EAST
OKOTIE EBOH==Mid West.

Its obvious that someone had been feeding the nigerian pubic of lies of what actually happened during that period.

A review of Nigerian history before the coup would make you understand why some people needed a scapegoat so bad. The Igbos and Yorubas competed in all sphere of the government, the Hausa's looked at Igbos as aliens with over-reaching ambitions, total unbelievers with their christian religion, threats to their own existence in places like Kaduna, Kano, and even Jos.

It was therefore easy for the Hausa people that controlled even the christian minority of the north to use the opportunity of the coup to eliminates Igbos as a viable entity in the Nigerian polity. The Yorubas could have played a more active role of an honest broker, but they didn't , because it was immediately more advantageuos for them to join the Hausa in removing Igbos as a viable competitor in Nigeria.

Many of these schemes were selfish, short-sighted, and centered around the effort to kill the scapegoat. However, events of the last 20-30 years are begininning to show how the Nigerian experiment missed an important opportunity at Aburi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by bawomolo(m): 7:41pm On Oct 10, 2009
it's funny how this thread has to a classic case of "they hate me" and "they holding me down".

Nigeria wouldn't get better until we realize we are part of the problem (scream marginalization if you want to) and we are all holding each other down.

the blame game is fun to watch though. I also find it funny how on nairaland Northerners are the only bad guys while Southerners were the uncorrupted saints during Nigeria's first republic.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by IYANGBALI: 7:56pm On Oct 10, 2009
ok ok ok alright people now that we have seen and read this aburi stuff,enough of passing the bulk and pointing accusing fingers,the question now is,what do we want and where do we go from here?do we still want to stay together as one people in one country or should we come together now and split the country after our discussions ITS NOW OR NEVER angry angry angry angry
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by SapeleGuy: 8:16pm On Oct 10, 2009
Na So & Afam - thanks for your responses.

Firstly, if we want the same results, keep doing the same things but don't complain about the current rot.
The time for us to change is now. Marriage can not be by force and marriages of convenience eventually come to an end.

If you are concerned that the population of these groups are too small or that there are just too many groups, fear not, Kuwait and Malta are examples of countries with populations of less than 500,000 and they are doing okay.

You will find it hard to find nations with more than 10 or 20 ethnicities that are co-existing peacefully. Even the UK with just 4, despite the similarities between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland realise that devolution is they way forward.

Why can't all of these 300 or so groups be equally represented? The short answer is that some people have a lot to lose if equality is allowed. These are the same ethnicities that cling religiously to their oppresive colonial priviledges as though they were god given rights.

Why should ancient and distinguished kingdoms like Calabar or Benin be subservient to a WAZOBIA tripartite? After all these were undefeated city states before colonial intervention.

Let us ditch the politics of I plenty pass you, even though it appears to be the most convenient option for some, it can never work. Let us focus on consensus and consultation to achieve equal rights and justice for ALL.

Finally, hindsight has shown us that the first coups, in fact all of the coups were tragic misadventures motivated by greed and designed to advance specific ethnic agendas, which Aburi would have helped to cement.

1 Like

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by udezue(m): 8:40pm On Oct 10, 2009
Sapele,
leave Igbos out of this you freaking slowpoke. Everytime you talk about WAZOBIA like as if Igbos did not fight a long fight and die in millions to be freed from that WAZOBIA. Na fools like you who supported the WAZOBIA which is now killing you in the Delta by fighting for Nigeria instead of joining and sticking with the Igbos and other Easterners who saw the need to end the crappy marriage with Nigeria. Fools always find a way to drag Igbos to the mud.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by udezue(m): 8:56pm On Oct 10, 2009
For Okunoba to say that he does not give a damn about an important historical document like the Aburi Accord yet he claims as black african he has interest in knowing what is going on regardless of ethnicity shows that he is either STUPID or BIGOT hell bent on tarnishing the image of anything Igbo. His attacks on the likes of Ojukwu, Biafra is just a cover up attack against Igbos and I'm sure he is disappointed to see that events recorded during the conference are now exposing the TRUTH which many Nigerians and I'm sure his parents were not telling HIM in their desperate attempt to maintain their rabid hatred of Igbos while pretending they are all for ONE NIGERIA.

Its a shame that even when its obvious that an important Igbo figure in the East was killed alongside the North, West and Midwest politicians and the coup plotters clearly involved a Northerner and Yoruba another person in this forum is now going so far to discredit Igbos and maintain that the coup was an Igbo coup to kill Nigerians by now saying that Azikiwe or anotther Igbo politician he deems suitable for death should have been killed not Unegbe. I guess in his warped wicked logic Unegbe was not Igbo enough for him to not see that the coup was not ethnically motivated.

Nigerians will do anything to maintain their hatred of us so the sooner we realize that and keep them to the curb the better for us. These people are not worth sharing a nation with. If Igbos or Easterner do good they hate us iwe do bad they'll still hate us.

1 Like

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by naijaking1: 9:02pm On Oct 10, 2009
@Udezue
Easy, easy, easy.
Sapeleguy has a few good points.

@Sapeleguy----- a little excersise!
Hold out your hand(right or left). Turn your palm to face you. Appreciate the beauty, uniqueness, size, and function of your thumb, do same for your index finger. See how your thumb and your index finger are seperated, and yet function synergistically to effect the pincher grasp. Also note that the size, lenght, and width of these fingers are not the same. Continue to the 3rd finger, appreciate the fact that this digit is usually the longest in most mammals. Also, note that this longest finger can't even be bent without the assistance of the shorter ring finger. Let's not forget the smallest and very elegant last finger'pinkie'.
The truth is that God did not make a mistake creating these fingers to be of different lenght, width, and even function, and no political correctness would attempt to say that all the fingers on your hand are equal, becasue that wouldn't be true. The truth, just like in human population is that for any time t some are small, some are big, while others are somewhere in-between. However, all are created for specific fuctions, roles, and to support each other.
All should be proud of their nature without petty jealousy.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by ow11(m): 9:54pm On Oct 10, 2009
@naiajking1

This your idea the opinions of smaller tribes should be subject to ratification by a bigger tribe is one of problems bedevilling this country. You are quick to use it as a tool when dealing with Igbos and the smaller tribes close to them BUT will shout to high heavens when Hausa people use it against Igbos.

Domination of smaller groups will always bring issues for obvious reasons. While I do not subscribe to a split, I believe we can use our strengths to better our lives just like what the Europeans are doing at the moment.

Since we cannot see beyond our tribe, states should be created on the basis of tribal affiliations and the economy of the nation modelled after the EU. That way anyone with no reason to be in the union is free to go solo.

1 Like

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by okunoba(m): 9:55pm On Oct 10, 2009
This topic 4 me as become redundant.

Talking about Biafra and the events that led to it with some Ibo`s is like talking about Islam to a fundamentalist Muslim who thinks the west is out to get Islam. The belief that people are out to get them is deeply rooted in their psychic.

If u tell the Muslim that if the twin towers was not blown up their wouldn`t have been the Afghan invasion or an excuse 4 America to attack Irag to get rid of Saddam. To him America just hates Muslims end of story, forgeting that the same Christan America and NATO fought to defend  Bosnian Muslims who were being killed by Christan Serbs.

The same with the Biafran story, tell them that if Northern leaders were not killed while the ones from the east were spared, the mas sacare of Igbo`s that took place wouldn`t have happened, explain to them that if the plan was to eliminate Igbo`s, that would have been done after Biafra surrendered, explain to them that if Igbo`s were so hated they wouldn`t be in all corners of the North making money and protected by the army anytime they are attacked, tell them that if they were so hated they wouldn`t dominate trade and have more top government officials than any other ethnic group besides the Hausa`s and maybe Yoruba`s. Tell them that the problem of the Igbo man is the same problem facing all Nigerians regardless of ethnicity. Tell him that the lack of Aburi is not the Nigerian problem, but the lack of good honest leaders who can improve our infrastructures, follow the rule of law and create an environment that is conducive 4 economic growth. He will still come back and say we are hated and marginalised, but who is not marginalised in that hell hole we call  "Black Africa"  The struggle of our people is one and it`s not an Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa thing it`s a struggle 4 the upliftment of Nigeria and indeed the black race.

The big fish always trying to eat the small fish, we forget that it`s not only these three ethnic groups that make up Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by SapeleGuy: 10:00pm On Oct 10, 2009
Udezue, learn to debate without insults it detracts from your argument and makes you devoid of class - My reference to WAZOBIA is that there are 3  so called major ethnicities in Nigeria (unless you disagree) and this has played out continously throughout the history of this country.  

This may be difficult for you to comprehend but I write what I do without hatred or prejuidice. If you knew me you would know that I can harbour no hatred for Igbo, Ibo or any other ethnicity.

You will realise that people like me have never supported WAZOBIArism or any quota system and never will.

naijaking1 - Clever analogy and lets explore it further and bring this exercise to reality. You can adapt with the loss of any digit but respect for each others independence is why these digits are not fused or webbed. Who do you think the thumb is in this arrangement?

1 Like

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by okunoba(m): 10:07pm On Oct 10, 2009
@Uduzue, can u debate without insults. If u have a valid point make it, remember abuse only shows your inability to make a valid point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by ono(m): 11:20pm On Oct 10, 2009
I have never used any foul word to address anyone on Nairaland. I have tried very hard not to. But for some sane Igbo guys on this board whom I have regard and respect for, I'll have unleashed some venom on the recalcitrant Udueze.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by naso2(m): 11:57pm On Oct 10, 2009
Please can anyone give a chronological sequence of events after the Aburi meeting? please.

What I understand is that relations broke down after the Aburi meeting , not  because of a pre-meditated scheme by the FG to renege but for differences in interpreting the resolutions at the meeting.

We can not feign ignorance that the primary motivation of the other members at the conference was how to win Ojukwu back to the fold while Ojukwu was bent on weakening the  centre and Gowon's overall influence,and(or)  to intiate a ploy to make the secession bid less painful. 

We must be sincere enough to acknowledge that for the entire Nation to accede to demands in mould that Ojukwu wanted it, then there should  have been provisions for other members to prepare better by wider consultations in their various constituencies and not the  1or 2-day meeting that birthed the declarations at the meeting.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by udezue(m): 12:06am On Oct 11, 2009
Ono,
utoro gbari kwa gi na venom.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by udezue(m): 12:17am On Oct 11, 2009
Okunoba,
You continue arguing that no Easterner was killed, only Northerners and Westerners when its so clear Unegbe is neither Hausa nor Yoruba but IGBO. This is a clear case of selective reading and learning by people hell bent on blaming Igbos for the tragedy that befell them and you wonder why Yoruba folks are hardly ever trusted by people even though the likes of Wole Soyinka, Tos Benson, have shown that there are men with principle in Yoruba land. Its quite clear that the Yoruba leaders at that time left the Igbos and the East to be slaughtered because of positions they were salivating to get once the East was finished. Even though Fajuyi was
murederd by the North in your own soil that was not enough to convince them that a united SOUTH was better than fighting for the North or sitting on the fence just so you can pick up crumbs left after the struggle like a bunch of scavenging hyenas. Majority of your leaders lack moral principle and will join the highest bidder even if it is Nazi Germany. I'm sure if the East was having the upper hand your leaders would have went with them to pick up position left by the North.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Obinoscopy(m): 12:29am On Oct 11, 2009
udezue:

Okunoba,
You continue arguing that no Easterner was killed, only Northerners and Westerners when its so clear Unegbe is neither Hausa nor Yoruba but IGBO. This is a clear case of selective reading and learning by people hell bent on blaming Igbos for the tragedy that befell them and you wonder why Yoruba folks are hardly ever trusted by people even though the likes of Wole Soyinka, Tos Benson, have shown that there are men with principle in Yoruba land. Its quite clear that the Yoruba leaders at that time left the Igbos and the East to be slaughtered because of positions they were salivating to get once the East was finished. Even though Fajuyi was
murederd by the North in your own soil that was not enough to convince them that a united SOUTH was better than fighting for the North or sitting on the fence just so you can pick up crumbs left after the struggle like a bunch of scavenging hyenas. Majority of your leaders lack moral principle and will join the highest bidder even if it is Nazi Germany. I'm sure if the East was having the upper hand your leaders would have went with them to pick up position left by the North.
You are very right. I respect the fighting spirit of the Igbo's during the Civil War. Sometimes peace is not needed in a country where there is no equal rights and justice. The latter is takes precedence than the former.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by naijaking1: 2:31am On Oct 11, 2009
ow11:

@naiajking1

This your idea the opinions of smaller tribes should be subject to ratification by a bigger tribe is one of problems bedevilling this country. You are quick to use it as a tool when dealing with Igbos and the smaller tribes close to them BUT will shout to high heavens when Hausa people use it against Igbos.

Domination of smaller groups will always bring issues for obvious reasons. While I do not subscribe to a split, I believe we can use our strengths to better our lives just like what the Europeans are doing at the moment.

Since we cannot see beyond our tribe, states should be created on the basis of tribal affiliations and the economy of the nation modelled after the EU. That way anyone with no reason to be in the union is free to go solo.

Gbam!
According to N/L expressions. Yes, maybe if states and regions had been created according to tribal boundries, the situation on the ground could have been different. We don't know, the Igbos were not responsible for the current federeal structure of the nation alone.

A stable situation would have been (I think- creation of Igbo state, Ijaw state, Edo state, Yoruba state, Hausa state, etc) These states would form and support a union at the federal level by paying taxes, runining most of their own affairs, managing their own resources---mineral and human.

Now representation at the federal level could be like the US, where every state gets 2 senators, and then House of Rep. based on population. That would be the most stable form of government for us. Today, states are created with the sole purpose of exploiting and robbing the south of their human and mineral resources so that the north could be rapidly developed.

If states are meant to pay taxes to the federal government, so many people would have preferred not to be come states. Today, becoming a state is the best way of getting the federal cake baked from other people's resources. Aburi could have led us towards some kind of local autonomy.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by naijaking1: 2:35am On Oct 11, 2009
ono:

I have never used any foul word to address anyone on Nairaland. I have tried very hard not to. But for some sane Igbo guys on this board whom I have regard and respect for, I'll have unleashed some venom on the recalcitrant Udueze.
Old boy how now
How was the arms surrendering ceremony? I thought I saw you besides Tompolo shaking Yar'dua's hand in one picture so.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by naijaking1: 2:42am On Oct 11, 2009
SapeleGuy:

naijaking1 - Clever analogy and lets explore it further and bring this exercise to reality. You can adapt with the loss of any digit but respect for each others independence is why these digits are not fused or webbed. Who do you think the thumb is in this arrangement?

The thumb represents different people at different times. We should not be afraid of who and what we are. You know the north and the west have minorities too. However, the distrust and mutual hatred among peoples of the former eastern Nigeria is just one more consequence of loosing the civil war.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by bawomolo(m): 2:43am On Oct 11, 2009
Today, becoming a state is the best way of getting the federal cake baked from other people's resources

how does a bloated bureaucracy help anyone?  I see nothing wrong with paying state and federal taxes by the way.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by naijaking1: 2:48am On Oct 11, 2009
bawomolo:

how does a bloated bureaucracy help anyone? I see nothing wrong with paying state and federal taxes by the way.
Come on, you know there're many nothern states today that depend on federal allocation almost 90% for their budget. This budget is derived from destroying other people's drinking water, farm lands, and ancestral lands in the Niger delta. How fair and just is that? These states could not have been created save for this unfair policy
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by bawomolo(m): 2:51am On Oct 11, 2009
naijaking1:

Come on, you know there're many nothern states today that depend on federal allocation almost 90% for their budget. This budget is derived from destroying other people's drinking water, farm lands, and ancestral lands in the Niger delta. How fair and just is that? These states could not have been created save for this unfair policy

that's true.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Onlytruth(m): 3:35am On Oct 11, 2009
okunoba:

The same with the Biafran story, tell them that if Northern leaders were not killed while the ones from the east were spared, the mas sacare of Igbo`s that took place wouldn`t have happened, explain to them that if the plan was to eliminate Igbo`s, that would have been done after Biafra surrendered, explain to them that if Igbo`s were so hated they wouldn`t be in all corners of the North making money and protected by the army anytime they are attacked, tell them that if they were so hated they wouldn`t dominate trade and have more top government officials than any other ethnic group besides the Hausa`s and maybe Yoruba`s.

Igbo have been killed in the north since 1940s, long before independence. They have continued to be killed in the north up till 2000s. So, Nzeogwu's coup only provided a pretext for the north to embark upon their favorite past time. Igbo survived after the war, still survive, not because they are well accommodated in the north. They survive because they are the surviving type. However, merely surviving cannot equate thriving! I'm even worried that soon some Igbos would start equating the two. That is why I'm concerned about some Igbos here on NL sounding like Yorubas and forgetting their history. Cosmopolitanism is not the same as foolishment.

1 Like

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by IGWEUSA(m): 3:45am On Oct 11, 2009
Again and Again, on the Aburi accord we stand.  . . . . Where do the yorubas stand? hmmmm  . . . Parasitism
Okunoba, please can you tell me the plan yorubas have for Nigeria or what they offer her, if not only to be milking her.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by ono(m): 9:29am On Oct 11, 2009
naijaking1:

Old boy how now
How was the arms surrendering ceremony? I thought I saw you besides Tompolo shaking Yar'dua's hand in one picture so.

Omo Nna, You sure say na me you see? Shine your eyes well well.

udezue:

Ono,
utoro gbari kwa gi na venom.

You just confirmed what all else have said. You lack that needed ability to reason before typing.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by ono(m): 9:34am On Oct 11, 2009
On a second thought, when it became clear (Ojukwu asking his hordes of secretaries) to Ojukwu that the other folks at the Aburi negotiating table did not understand him (so I think), why did he not go the extra lenght of explaining the consequence of their decisions so that everyone is clear on what's going to give at the end?

Anyways, all that's past now. More than ever before, we need to have every ethnic group represented at a conference - big or small. The Igbos will have to repeat what feat they performed at Aburi again - this time around with brilliant minds from around the country. The time is ripe for that and it's now or never, like someone affirmed.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by KnowAll(m): 10:36am On Oct 11, 2009
The ABURI Confrence is quite intresting in many ways, it picthes a highly educated Oxford graduate Ojukwu against men of supposedly lower intellect but with an unravelled skill in the old act of gouging and tact as suppose to brawns and brains.

I must confess Ojukwu fell like a park of cards for the trap Col Katsina set up for him, and he also failed to recognise the trap Bolaji was luring him into,  Bolaji made his Gorge Bush stance of you are " either with us or not no sitting on the fence " Gowon's meek outlook must not be seen as a weakness but should be viewed as a champion gambler whom one cannot predict the strenght or weakness of the aces on his hands.

Col Katsina forced Ojukwu's hand in pulling the east out of Nigeria only for Nigeria to defeat him and he looking real bad. What Ojukwu should have done was wait and agree with each and everyone of them only to strike again in the future. If the Northerners can wait 7 months to revenge the death of the Sarduna and other prominenent politicians killed in Jan 66 why could'nt Ojukwu, he made a tactical error and it was caused by Col Katsina forcing his hands, Who says mallams are fools from what transpired in that confrence Col Katsina was no man's fool he knew what he was saying and doing and he came out on top.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by presido1: 11:07am On Oct 11, 2009
ono:

The Igbos will have to repeat what feat they performed at Aburi again - this time around with brilliant minds from around the country. The time is ripe for that and it's now or never, like someone affirmed.
Once bitten twice shy

okunoba:

if Igbo`s were so hated they wouldn`t be in all corners of the North making money and protected by the army anytime they are attacked
If not for hatred why must they be attacked in the first place? Are they the only non hausa's in the north? Don't we have Hausa's in the east as well, how many times have you heard that Igbo's/easterners attacked the hausa's in the east that they required military protection. I believe if you can be truthful to yourself "black race" can be librated as you put it.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by gowaga68: 11:57am On Oct 11, 2009
Nice Stuff here
     when reading history we have to first look at the cause of the issue spoken of.
    I have a Question:
What's the cause of killing  the Igbos in the North?

naijaking1:

Haba Bro can u list those northern states? and pls tell me b4 enjoyin oil what had the north been doin to the country's economy?

naijaking1:

@Dayokanu
Unegbu was the GOC of one of the major army barracks. He was Igbo, and he was also the guy who almost frustrated the first coup, because he refused to release weapons. For his refusal, the Nzeogwu group killed him.

Nzeogwu Kaduna's men killed him not because they wanted but because they want to achive their aims by all means.
other than him give us another name.
dayokanu:

^^^

When Nzeogwu made his infamous "we were five" comment, he made no reference to the rank of the "five". He was merely referring to the five designated strategic regional commanders of the coup. In fact, no less than nine Majors were originally billed to take part in the coup. These were Majors Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna, Ademoyega, Okafor, Anuforo, Chukwuka, Obienu, Onwuatuegwu and Chude-Sokei. Shortly before the coup, Chude-Sokei was posted overseas. On the coup day itself, Obienu failed to show, leaving seven Majors as participants. When it came to execution, the Majors designated five officers as regional commanders for the coup's execution. Of Nzeogwu's "five", there were "the two of us in the North" (Nzeogwu and Major Tim Onwuatuegwu), and three more in the South

You claimed Unegbe was killed? Who was Unegbe in the scheme of things?
We are talking about The Prime minister here.

We have 3 or 4 regions right North, West and east. The premier of the North and the west were killed So what happened to the eastern premier? Escaped.

In the 3-4 regions

The Political leaders were

North Sadauna followed by Balewa (Both were killed)
West Akintola and Awolowo (Akintola was killed Awolowo was in Jail so escaped)
Mid west Okotie Eboh- Minister of Finance was killed

What happed to Azikwe the President? he escaped

All eastern political leaders were left and other regins got hit.
You are now bringing a Unegbe into the fray, Can you count the number of soldiers from other regions who were killed also?

Maybe those ppl left were not Igbos cheesy cheesy cheesy and Did Ironsi did as he promise to bring the killers to book?hm Hausa man of then (if permited) dont forgive killin of a brother.(blood 4 blood)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Introducing Buhari Kerosene At N50/litre / Breakdown Of $6.9billion Paris Club Refund To 36 States, FCT (snapshots) / Akpabio Refuses To Apologise To Goje In The Senate Over Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.