Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? (20567 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Nigerians In Syria, Are You Back Home?? / What Kind Of Gifts Should I Get For People Back Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 8:15pm On Oct 15, 2009
@ medrick
you are one of those who r living good in naija and believes others r living same as u. in case u dont kno d rich is getting richer and poor getting poorer in naija. and for your info my name is Igbogirl not Nigeriangirl. I'll claim Igbo b4 i will ever claim Nigeria cos there's nothing to be proud of abt nigeria. and yes u read me right, washing dishes in America can open so many doors for u, u can save up money, go to sch, or even get promoted and no one will ever look down on u. but do same in naija and see if ppl wont laugh at u. believe it or not America has more opportunity than Nigeria and stop being in denial cos u happen to hav a good job. hav u wondered how ppl in naija without your job or money r living? they r obviously not living as good as u, they r suffering and the govt isnt doing anything abt it, in fact the govt doesnt care. i am in America to stay, i can never be kicked out cos i wasnt here illegally. so your prayer will not come to pass.
admit it Nigeria is a big shame! at 49 still hav nothing to show for it. we hav our own natural resources yet we dont see the use of the money, till today electricity is not reliable, health care is a joke, ppl die frequently from diseases they shdnt die from why? cos there's no good medical care, no medical equipments, no nothing. what exactly are u proud of abt Nigeria? a country and leaders that dont care abt their citizens.
old ppl here are catered for, they have social security benefits and medicare. America's health care may not be the best right now but we are getting there wit d help of president Obama. can u say ur grandparents back home in village are getting good medical care? does the Nigerian govt even kno abt ur grandparents? mentally challenged ppl here are taking good care of, the govt takes care of them and pay the care givers. can u say that abt mentally chalenged in Nigeria? we hav crazy ppl everywhere on the streets of Nigeria and in market places with no one to account for them. wat exactly has Nigeria done for her citizens? even students are not catered for.
Meldrick:

@ Igbogirl

A great dissapointment I feel with your post.  You are really short informed on the happenings in Nigeria. I have never scrammbled to travel abroad. The few times I went abroad was just for holiday and it was during my leave in the office but I am one of those Nigerians who believe you can make it anywhere. You must not go and wash dishes or wash dead bodies in another man's country to make it. I consider that the highest level of degredation to a man's worth.

I don't work in an oil company neither am I a politician but God has blessed me with a good job amd I am comfortable with the little that comes from it so does a lot of Nigerians. You say Nigeria is a forsaken country. People like you who badmouth the country will be put to shame but remember when foreigners will be kicked out abroad, you cannot be considered. You can only feel like them but you can never ever be them. No No No.

I suggest you wipe out that username(Igbogirl) and adopt Americangirl. A big shame to some one who is expecting open doors from washing dishes and dead bodies in another man's country. It's quite unfortunate people ask you for money like you said but I doubt if anybody wil ask you for money.

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Sauron1: 8:17pm On Oct 15, 2009
Miss EZ:

At Sauron i know not everyone is entitled, i never said everyone is entitled, just highlighting the differences. As for the issue of working and being robbed, where doesnt it happen

It doesn't happen in the UK.
People talk about the taxes as a disadvantage but if you analyse it well. . .It is NOT a disadvantage.

Naija workers who take their full pay home would still buy petrol for their generating sets, repair their cars every week because of the bad roads and the overheating of their car engines in a traffic and reh reh reh.
By the time you deduct the miscellaneous, the ones paying the taxes and seeing the benefits are miles better off.

bottom line is both systems have advantages and disadvantages, one more than the other and i was just making a comparison. there is no absolute as to which is better. like i said it boils down to individual choices.

What are the advantages of working in Nigeria?
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Hauwa1: 8:22pm On Oct 15, 2009
give me give me

ask for this and that shocked check it out, of all the friends and family u gave something who is going to tie pepper and salt give u in return?
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 8:26pm On Oct 15, 2009
IgboGirl:

@ medrick
you are one of those who r living good in naija and believes others r living same as u. in case u dont kno d rich is getting richer and poor getting poorer in naija. and for your info my name is Igbogirl not Nigeriangirl. I'll claim Igbo b4 i will ever claim Nigeria cos there's nothing to be proud of abt nigeria. and yes u read me right, washing dishes in America can open so many doors for u, u can save up money, go to sch, or even get promoted and no one will ever look down on u. but do same in naija and see if ppl wont laugh at u. believe it or not America has more opportunity than Nigeria and stop being in denial cos u happen to hav a good job. hav u wondered how ppl in naija without your job or money r living? they r obviously not living as good as u, they r suffering and the govt isnt doing anything abt it, in fact the govt doesnt care. i am in America to stay, i can never be kicked out cos i wasnt here illegally. so your prayer will not come to pass.
admit it Nigeria is a big shame! at 49 still hav nothing to show for it. we hav our own natural resources yet we dont see the use of the money, till today electricity is not reliable, health care is a joke, ppl die frequently from diseases they shdnt die from why? cos there's no good medical care, no medical equipments, no nothing. what exactly are u proud of abt Nigeria? a country and leaders that dont care abt their citizens.

I FEEL U MY SISTER, DON'T MIND THESE BAD BELLE PEOPLE - AFTER ALL WHY DO THEY STILL TRAVEL ABROAD WHEN THEY HAVE BREAK.

when u want to buy ticket u will count out over N150k to travel agent - meanwhile i can sit on my toilet seat here and book a flight to the other side of the world - i know people will shout at me but i do love not having to queue up at immigration when i land - show and go.

sorry bad belle people i have wanted to say that for a while (yeah i know its immature)
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Uche2nna(m): 8:28pm On Oct 15, 2009
LMAO!!!!!!

I didnt realize that this would be an issue, effrybodi don dey complain  grin

The way we brag about "living the good life abroad" U do think that we will enjoy the pestering  cheesy
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 8:31pm On Oct 15, 2009
Uche2nna:

LMAO!!!!!!

I didnt realize that this would be an issue, effrybodi don dey complain  grin

The way we brag about "living the good life abroad" U do think that we will enjoy the pestering  cheesy

LMAO - NAIRALAND WILL KILL ME TODAY O!!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Hauwa1: 8:31pm On Oct 15, 2009
even if u brag or trying to enjoy the fruit of ur labor, that should not give anybody the right to pester u now. nigerian mentality should change.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 8:32pm On Oct 15, 2009
redsky1:

I FEEL U MY SISTER, DON'T MIND THESE BAD BELLE PEOPLE - AFTER ALL WHY DO THEY STILL TRAVEL ABROAD WHEN THEY HAVE BREAK.

when u want to buy ticket u will count out over N150k to travel agent - meanwhile i can sit on my toilet seat here and book a flight to the other side of the world - i know people will shout at me but i do love not having to queue up at immigration when i land - show and go.

sorry bad belle people i have wanted to say that for a while (yeah i know its immature)

lol @ bad belle people

I just wish they will enjoy the so called life they are enjoying in Nigeria and leave us the hell alone. if life is so good in Nigeria why r they always waking us up early in the morning asking for money? they shd enjoy life there and let us enjoy our own life here. we don't ask them for money so pls dont ask us and if they must ask pls be reasonable.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Hauwa1: 8:37pm On Oct 15, 2009
because even the one life is good for is still eyeing your dollar and complaining u are not sending money home undecided
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Uche2nna(m): 8:38pm On Oct 15, 2009
IgboGirl:

lol @ bad belle people

I just wish they will enjoy the so called life they are enjoying in Nigeria and leave us the hell alone. if life is so good in Nigeria why r they always waking us up early in the morning asking for money? they shd enjoy life there and let us enjoy our own life here. we don't ask them for money so pls dont ask us and if they must ask pls be reasonable.

Quit complaining, abeg!!!!!

Help when U can and if U cant say no, its as simple as that.

Even if U live in Naija, U would still get calls like that in the morning  grin  Sometimes it is even worse sef, a nephew , cousin or some long lost brother might show up at ur doorstep asking to live with U.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Meldrick(m): 8:41pm On Oct 15, 2009
IgboGirl:

@ medrick
you are one of those who r living good in naija and believes others r living same as u. in case u dont kno d rich is getting richer and poor getting poorer in naija. and for your info my name is Igbogirl not Nigeriangirl. I'll claim Igbo b4 i will ever claim Nigeria. till today i regret that Biafra didn't win the war cos there's nothing to be proud of abt nigeria. and yes u read me right, washing dishes in America can open so many doors for u, u can save up money, go to sch, or even get promoted and no one will ever look down on u. but do same in naija and see if ppl wont laugh at u. believe it or not America has more opportunity than Nigeria and stop being in denial cos u happen to hav a good job. hav u wondered how ppl in naija without your job or money r living? they r obviously not living as good as u, they r suffering and the govt isnt doing anything abt it, in fact the govt doesnt care. i am in America to stay, i can never be kicked out cos i wasnt here illegally. so your prayer will not come to pass.

I'll give you a quote from the words of a famous American President, '' Do not think of what your country will do for you but what you can do for your country''. I was never born with a silver spoon. After my secondary school days, I hawked the popular yourghurt on the streets of lagos. After that era, I worked in a Pure Water Company. I was determined and I got into the university. I remember when I was in 200level, the school decided to use students in building the multi purpose theatre. A lot of guys were ashamed but some of us removed shame from our eyes and at the end of the day we were paid for manual labour. It was not easy but with God I scaled through and he blessed me with a job. I suffered that alone but that has not stopped me from helping friends and relatives. It has not made me lose faith in my country.

A lot of Nigerians passed through that state but they understand the principle of giving and recieving and they keep helping without complaining.
Please change your orientation. We have lots of Nigerians doing well as a result of hardwork. They only travel abroad for holidays but they cannot abandon their country for anothet man's country. I belong to that group. If things are difficult over there, remove shame and ask for assistance and those relatives you feel are begging you for money eill help.
You could send your CV down and I'll not fail to assist in helping out where I can but allow the purpose of God to be fulfilled in your life. Make yourself relevant in your environment and you will be respected abroad. We have Chiamanda Adichie, ayoung lady of 29 doing the country great. We have a lot of others doing Nigeria great. You can be part of them but not by been a cab driver in another man's country. No No No
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by hackney(m): 8:42pm On Oct 15, 2009
That's another thing; even your relatives will add their own 'effort' money when you are doing a project.
Infact painting and tiling a house almost cost as much as building a house.
Your own blood go give u estimate for morning then call back for evening and money don top N200k.
Na magic.
Even people that shoild know better also think money comes that easy.
Yes, the pay can be fantastic in comparism but oyibo will make u work for every penny.

Police and ambulance dey arrive in 8 minutes flat!!! (anywhere u dey oo!!, abeg forget)
If you buy something wan return am with receipt ; no Lily)
Hospital anything na free (Fi.O.Siii)  grin
U fit use car,bus,train and all na high standard.
No matter wetin u dey do for a living nobody go look down on you because na all dey contribute make the country wetin im be.

Men, oyibo pass person. Generator wen dem dey because of us (3rd world) build we not fit build reach now.Na use we saka.
Blacks in general need brain scan to check differences oo!
We dey fit excel where system dey in place but to build am from scratch ; whosai!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Uche2nna(m): 8:46pm On Oct 15, 2009
hackney:

Your own blood go give u estimate for morning then call back for evening and money don top N200k.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its always better to put ur parents or sibilings in charge of projects like that.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by DisGuy: 8:46pm On Oct 15, 2009
Chei e be like say winter don land as you na dey Vex reach
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by hackney(m): 8:52pm On Oct 15, 2009
Na Autum my bro; no mind all them yeye fowl wey no fit lay egg grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by wasobia(m): 8:58pm On Oct 15, 2009
We call them MU-YI-WA interpretation "bring this, buy that"

Even some area sisters and brothers are worse off. I dont have any problem helping people and i believe it applies to the rest of us home or abroad but our people are instant demand machine as if money flows on the street of London, America or Canada.

Can you imagine someone asking for money to renew house rent and not minding the time, he needs it within 72hrs before rent expiration.

Another case of a brother in-law who pleads for money a month prior to the time he dazed you with a 2004 Honda Accord (End of discussion or whatever they call it), this is a person you managed to send some funds to him because things were pretty tight for their family.

Or a former co-worker in Lagos, who wants you to send those laptop Oyinbo man thrown in dumpsters,  (Even some Oyinbo no get one) LOL.

I cant imagine whats wrong with us! Orientation needs to change. And for who said, some people at home are better than those abroad; think out of the box my brother, the most important thing in life is to be happy and live a fulfilled life irrespective of your geographical location. Dont be a haters, lets celebrate ourselves!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Uche2nna(m): 9:01pm On Oct 15, 2009
wasobia:

We call them MU-YI-WA interpretation "bring this, buy that"

Even some area sisters and brothers are worse off. I dont have any problem helping people and i believe it applies to the rest of us home or abroad but our people are instant demand machine as if money flows on the street of London, America or Canada.

Can you imagine someone asking for money to renew house rent and not minding the time, he needs it within 72hrs before rent expiration.

Another case of a brother in-law who pleads for money last month and I stylishly sent something only to find out later (1 month) to see him with a Honda Accord (End of discussion).

Or a former co-worker in Lagos, who wants you to send those laptop Oyinbo man thrown in dumpsters, (Even some Oyinbo no get one) LOL.
I was dazed!!!

grin

Seriously, what kind of friends/in laws do u have?

Better still, what kind of information do they recieve to make demands like that? shocked
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by hackney(m): 9:04pm On Oct 15, 2009
Dem no dey hear or see better; na why dem dey call am 3rd world (another world all together).
Oyibo harsh sha oo
grin grin cheesy cool cool
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by bluespice(f): 9:08pm On Oct 15, 2009
well, i think its cos o the erroneous ideas folks have been fed with
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 9:08pm On Oct 15, 2009
hear this one

a friend of a friend obtained (i say obtained cos no one gave it to him) my number and flashed me 3 weeks ago. so after the pleasentaries he now said there is a favour he want me to do for him,

i should help him buy a laptop - he prefers sony, toshiba or HP but he will manage samsung if the others are too expensive (begger get choice in nigeria o) - i asked when will he send me the money to buy it - he laughed and said - i should please help him get it - things are hard for him. excuse me if things are that hard then maybe concentrate on making it less hard. its like pringles - once u start u can't stop.

this parasite is not related to me or my friend o, and i'm sure he used stlyle to just copy my number from my friends phone.

this is how i see it. if you cant afford to buy yourslef a laptop - u are not on that level. i can't afford a benz right now - so its not my level - i like to keep it real. one day i will drive a nice car until then i will rest with what i have.

lack of contentment with our people - meanwhile they will claim to be christians and spend hours in church and bible study!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 9:09pm On Oct 15, 2009
hackney:

That's another thing; even your relatives will add their own 'effort' money when you are doing a project.
Na magic.
Yes, the pay can be fantastic in comparism but oyibo will make u work for every penny.

Police and ambulance dey arrive in 8 minutes flat!!! (anywhere u dey oo!!, abeg forget)
No matter wetin u dey do for a living nobody go look down on you because na all dey contribute make the country wetin im be.

Men, oyibo pass person. Generator wen dem dey because of us (3rd world) build we not fit build reach now.Na use we saka.
We dey fit excel where system dey in place but to build am from scratch ; whosai!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

GBAM! It happened to us, my parents siblings were giving us estimates that were double the amount when we were building our house in Nigeria. It's heartbreaking
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by wasobia(m): 9:10pm On Oct 15, 2009
@ Uche2nna

I was surprised that you've forgotten that our people are opportunist; in-laws, brothers, sisters or friend. They can place a demand on anything.

"What kind of in-laws do i have? Hey, we all have them around us.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by IgboGirl(f): 9:12pm On Oct 15, 2009
Meldrick:

I'll give you a quote from the words of a famous American President, '' Do not think of what your country will do for you but what you can do for your country''. I was never born with a silver spoon. After my secondary school days, I hawked the popular yourghurt on the streets of lagos. After that era, I worked in a Pure Water Company. I was determined and I got into the university. I remember when I was in 200level, the school decided to use students in building the multi purpose theatre. A lot of guys were ashamed but some of us removed shame from our eyes and at the end of the day we were paid for manual labour. It was not easy but with God I scaled through and he blessed me with a job. I suffered that alone but that has not stopped me from helping friends and relatives. It has not made me lose faith in my country.

A lot of Nigerians passed through that state but they understand the principle of giving and recieving and they keep helping without complaining.
Please change your orientation. We have lots of Nigerians doing well as a result of hardwork. They only travel abroad for holidays but they cannot abandon their country for anothet man's country. I belong to that group. If things are difficult over there, remove shame and ask for assistance and those relatives you feel are begging you for money eill help.
You could send your CV down and I'll not fail to assist in helping out where I can but allow the purpose of God to be fulfilled in your life. Make yourself relevant in your environment and you will be respected abroad. We have Chiamanda Adichie, ayoung lady of 29 doing the country great. We have a lot of others doing Nigeria great. You can be part of them but not by been a cab driver in another man's country. No No No

You only help a country that's willing to help you. Nigeria is not willing to help her citizens.
lol @ you asking me to send my CV lmao! sweetie, i am in the health care field so i will forever have a career here. thanks but no thanks.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Sauron1: 9:14pm On Oct 15, 2009
hackney:

Na magic.

Lawd Have Mercy!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by brauneyes: 9:15pm On Oct 15, 2009
"You can be part of them but not by been a cab driver in another man's country. No No No"

What about if he owns that cab company and 50 other cab drivers work for him? wink
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by bluespice(f): 9:16pm On Oct 15, 2009
redsky1:

hear this one

a friend of a friend obtained (i say obtained cos no one gave it to him) my number and flashed me 3 weeks ago. so after the pleasentaries he now said there is a favour he want me to do for him,

i should help him buy a laptop - he prefers sony, toshiba or HP but he will manage samsung if the others are too expensive (begger get choice in nigeria o) - i asked when will he send me the money to buy it - he laughed and said - i should please help him get it - things are hard for him. excuse me if things are that hard then maybe concentrate on making it less hard. its like pringles - once u start u can't stop.

this parasite is not related to me or my friend o, and i'm sure he used stlyle to just copy my number from my friends phone.
lol! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by wasobia(m): 9:20pm On Oct 15, 2009
@ IgboGirl

I hear you buddy.

My mother used to say that if you send some people (family member, friend or whatever) egg, they will lick it on the way before they give it to you.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Uche2nna(m): 9:20pm On Oct 15, 2009
redsky1:

Maybe the laptop would help make it less hard  grin

But then again, the simple thing to do is to tell him that U dont have the money to get him a laptop . Works for me all the time. Matter of fact, they will quit bugging U after sometime.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by snokky(m): 9:29pm On Oct 15, 2009
wot is bad in you receiving $5k at the end of the month and sending 3k from it to

family and friends back home while u make do with the remaining 2k ehn, ?

abeg, more western union plz, all these noise don't do me jare!!!!!!!

mennn naija pple abroad dey recession too, kai. see anger for nairaland, chei,

Oluwa gbawa o,
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by brauneyes: 9:30pm On Oct 15, 2009
My maternal grandma used to say: weta, weta, kamma na aka onye oso ( bring, bring is better when someone else is doing the bringing)
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Hauwa1: 9:30pm On Oct 15, 2009
yes o they have choice grin i used to hear a beggar got no choice. i sent two nice bags thru a coursemate going home for summer break to family members. they wrote to say next time i should send or bring the bigger size handbags like the one she was holding in her pix shocked grin i was like ummmm, na wah o.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by platinumnk(f): 9:30pm On Oct 15, 2009
It is very iritatting! It took my father years to build our home in the east.

Everytime, people will double the funds and steal money!
And when the house was finished, our relatives were killing each other to live in the house like they owned it!!
Even driving our cars WE sent home, and Breaking our very very expensive  Generator, they know they cant afford to fix!!
Gosh ! Drive me mad!
I remeber when I came home and bought a phone and put  naira on my fone, quick as ever my cousin tried to "mtn transfer" 400 naira to her phone without my knowledge.
They think that you live abroad they can leach off you!

I have this guy who keeps emailing me, saying he needs this and that. . .and that God will bless me for helping him, since he has become a pastor. If you knew the circumstances I met him, you will think more than 2x lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I would rather be cab driver in US than on ein 9ja.
You can always work yourself up.
Like I said before, not everyone is suffering in US, seriously.

My dad (for example) came here in the early 80's worked menial jobs in the US until he could save enough to bring mom over.
My dad worked 3 jobs putting my mom through 2 degrees, and his got his own masters.

Now during this time, my dad puts literally all my cousins through school.  And still paying their fees.
I thank God that living in the US me and my four siblings didnt cause any additonal stress, because of free education, and free tution and scholarships to college.

You will be surprised to see how far hes come. . So dont think menial jobs wont get you anywhere

I remeber he told us he took the jobs that nobody wanted, cleaning sh!t in toliets, and finally was made a manager of the company that he was working for.

How many times you will see that in 9ja?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice / Canada Warns Nigerian Asylum Seekers Crossing From US: There's 'no Free Ticket' / The New Mtn Code For Making Calls Free To All Network

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.