Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,232 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? (20568 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Nigerians In Syria, Are You Back Home?? / What Kind Of Gifts Should I Get For People Back Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by omoNJ(f): 4:11pm On Oct 13, 2009
It always baffles me when families, and friends in Nigeria always call those of us living abroad for ridiculous amount of money as if money goes on trees. They don't even consider what you r going through. What some ppl have left after paying for all the bills is not even enough to survive until the next check comes. I know of a someone who just arrive in US, the very next day, his siblings started calling asking for one thing or another. Mind u the fellow hasn't even started working cos he came on a student visa. Ppl call for cell phones, labtop, cars u name it, they want it. Someone called their sister for money to roof their house. Imagine that, here is someone struggling in US, can't even afford to buy a land for her own family and u r calling to roof your own house. Please friends and family from home, lets be considerate and understanding. When someone send u money, appreciate it, don't complain that it is not enough. A brother told his family members that he is now 100% student that he is not working right now. Guess what, they still call him for money, one of then said "bro I know u r not working right now, but what ever u have even if it is $50 please send it to me I am broke. Mind u, this person has a job in Nigeria o. Talk about selfishness and inconsideration. Why not convert your naira to dollars and send me a gift sometimes? Maybe those of u in Nigeria can shed some light onto this topic as to why u demand so much without thinking twice about the person's situation.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by spikedcylinder: 4:17pm On Oct 13, 2009
Don't mind those yeye ingrates back at home jor. What do they even know about hardship and suffering? They act as if labtops grow on trees in this our beloved Amerikah.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by omoNJ(f): 4:22pm On Oct 13, 2009
My friends and I always talk about this at work. And its very irritating when dey flash and flash from morning till night. My take is this, u need something? u better go and buy credit and talk. Why should I use my money to buy phone card to call u so u can ask for some insignificant things. There has to be another way.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by posakosa(m): 4:24pm On Oct 13, 2009
Its not their fault. People abroad also BRAG to them about abroad, when they know that it is not the TRUTH.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by omoNJ(f): 4:31pm On Oct 13, 2009
@posakosa
U might be right. Some people go back home after saving all their money to bragado at a party. Get back to US and can't pay their bills. Those r idiots. But what about those that r not doing so. They truly tell u that it is not easy and u say they r stingy/selfish. A lot of people that come home and flash money like no others are known to be doing 419 and credit card frauds. If u work hard 4 ur money it will be very difficult to waste it like that.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by posakosa(m): 4:34pm On Oct 13, 2009
Exactly, if someone really said "Im a janitor/cab driver/ko gbe, ko gbe" abroad, trust me, they will not be asking for much.

Some people with legitimate jobs in Nigeria make much more than some Nigerians abroad.

We all just need to be honest.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by omoNJ(f): 4:47pm On Oct 13, 2009
@ posakosa
See that where u might be wrong o. Just because u r a medical doctor doesn't mean u have extras o. Talk about malpractice insurance, medical school loan, car not, mortgage, no financial aid 4 ur kids because uncle sam thinks u make too much; Taxes (cos they r under a higher tax bracket) and all other expenses they have. Sometimes nurses have to work double shift to make have extra. Nevertheless, ppl at home won't believe that u don't have money anyways. What about the example I gave above abt a student u told the family that he is not working, but they still call and ask? I think ppl just don't believe that u can be abroad and be broke.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by posakosa(m): 4:52pm On Oct 13, 2009
^^^^^^ you make sense. Often times though I think that many Nigerians here, need to learn to live within and NOT beyond their means.

I know this one Nurse, as soon as she got her RN degree <not even MSN> she bought like a $1 million house just to show off, I mean its a beautiful place but its certainly apparent that someone like that can't send money back home ? Also, she can't even sleep in the darn house, she just hops from one job to the other. Heart attack don almost kill her finish.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by r231(m): 4:59pm On Oct 13, 2009
posakosa:

Exactly, if someone really said "Im a janitor/cab driver/ko gbe, ko gbe" abroad, trust me, they will not be asking for much.

Some people with legitimate jobs in Nigeria make much more than some Nigerians abroad.

We all just need to be honest.

bruv they will not be asking for much but they will still ask not thinking whether you have paid your own bills or not and when you tell them that its not easy they will tell you to come bck home then
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by posakosa(m): 5:24pm On Oct 13, 2009
r231:

bruv they will not be asking for much but they will still ask not thinking whether you have paid your own bills or not and when you tell them that its not easy they will tell you to come bck home then

hahahaha! <come back home to do wetin ? >
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by r231(m): 5:52pm On Oct 13, 2009
posakosa:

hahahaha! <come back home to do wetin ? >

to come sit with dem since its not easy now abi lol
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by posakosa(m): 5:58pm On Oct 13, 2009
hahahahahahha!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by iice(f): 6:18pm On Oct 13, 2009
Coz some of us like to 'show' off even when we know we in diaspora pack shit grin grin
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by posakosa(m): 7:02pm On Oct 13, 2009
^^^^^^seriously.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by ubiaa5(f): 7:55pm On Oct 13, 2009
I think its d impression most of us give pple back home,i have a cousin who works at a gas station,he leased a hummer n shipped it home to his mum,4 mths later he couldnt pay d car notes,d dealership came to reposses,of course d car was in naija,he had bad credit n had 2 run around looking 4 someone to cosign on a laon 4 him 2 pay off d car.Right now he is working 3 jobs in order to pay off the loan all becos he was trying to impress.Bottom line a lot of pple dont tell the truth abt wat they are really going thru.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by posakosa(m): 8:11pm On Oct 13, 2009
ubiaa5:

I think its d impression most of us give pple back home,i have a cousin who works at a gas station,he leased a hummer n shipped it home to his mum,4 mths later he couldnt pay d car notes,d dealership came to reposses,of course d car was in naija,he had bad credit n had 2 run around looking 4 someone to cosign on a laon 4 him 2 pay off d car.Right now he is working 3 jobs in order to pay off the loan all becos he was trying to impress.Bottom line a lot of pple dont tell the truth abt wat they are really going thru.

WOWZERS! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by skfa1: 8:16pm On Oct 13, 2009
@ Poster

Cause they`ve not been there to experience it.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Pittbaby(f): 8:16pm On Oct 13, 2009

As much as this tori sweet, please tell me how you can ship a LEASED car out of the states undecided. I am waiting o !!!

Exporting vehicles from the United States is a complicated process that involves validating the title with US Customs and Border Patrol and the Office of Homeland Security. The process and necessary documentation required by US Customs and Border Protection for title validation is not standardized throughout the United States. Instead, it is set by the Port Director of the port from which the vehicle will be loaded and shipped.

Despite the varying standards from port to port, at minimum, you will need to prove ownership of the vehicle. Only the original certificate of title, or a certified copy of the original, is considered valid proof of ownership. Other registration documents, by themselves, are not considered proof of ownership. If the car has a lien, encumbrance, or is leased, the exporter will have to attach to the certificate of title a notarized letter from the lien holder or lease holder authorizing it to leave the country.
Source : http://www.ideamarketers.com/?shipping_car_overseas&articleid=536410#

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by posakosa(m): 8:20pm On Oct 13, 2009
Pittbaby:

As much as this tori sweet, please tell me how you can ship a LEASED car out of the states  undecided. I am waiting o !!!

Good question. You can only ship OWNED cars abroad. grin grin
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by omega25red(m): 8:24pm On Oct 13, 2009
its not their fault you should blame all the people who spend the year working and saving money just to go home for two weeks to lie about the life they live abroad. you should also blame the people who do odu you know the credit scammers they have no value for the money they steal so they go home and pretend like money grows on trees abroad

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by posakosa(m): 8:29pm On Oct 13, 2009
omega25red:

its not their fault you should blame all the people who spend the year working and[i] saving money just to go home for two weeks to lie about the life they live abroad[/i]. you should also blame the people who do odu you know the credit scammers they have no value for the money they steal so they go home and pretend like money grows on trees abroad

Well said!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by chic2pimp(m): 8:33pm On Oct 13, 2009
I have always thought that money grew on trees abroad. My bad,guess I was wrong there undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Theblessed(f): 11:23pm On Oct 13, 2009
skfa1:

@ Poster

Cause they`ve not been there to experience it.
Because, you make them think so. By giving and giving and giving at all their needs, you invite stress for yourself here.  Follow this Biblical principle, don't rush out at any of their requests - wait until the dust settles and then decide whether to act.  You see, when Our Lord Jesus Christ was told that his uncle Lazarus died, he did not rush out immediately to check for himself instead he waited for 4 days before going there by then, the corpse has already been buried and obviously, in bad state.  On getting there, he asked that the tomb be opened and commanded Lazarus to come out and, he did.  I didn't say that you are Christ and that you should start performing miracles now, rather be logical with certain thing home people throw at you here else, they will bankrupt you and laugh at you when you return home with only your sleeping mat/bag and a flip-flop on your feet. grin grin grin  Do not say I did not warn you! wink wink wink wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by ubiaa5(f): 12:14am On Oct 14, 2009
Pittbaby n posakosa i dont know how he did it but u need 2 go 2 the port in NY n see d deals dat nigerians that own shipping coys do.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by posakosa(m): 12:27am On Oct 14, 2009
ubiaa5:

Pittbaby n posakosa i dont know how he did it but u need 2 go 2 the port in NY n see d deals dat nigerians that own shipping coys do.

<hehehe> maybe he borrowed money to[b] buy[/b] the car and didn't actually lease it. Now if he doesn't pay the money he owes from which he borrowed money from, then the company will certainly want to take back the collateral which is the car. I suspect that this is what he did.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 1:51am On Oct 14, 2009
I wont blame the people back home, i will blame some of us that lives Abroad, some will go home and live like they are the richest man of where they resides, some will go clubbing and buying drinks for everyone, some will make ridiculous promises and so sad that sometimes, even going back to the abroad where they lived with promises that they will help them to move there as well.
When you give impression that you are all that and more, what do you expect.
However, i do understand that there are some that no matter how much you tell them the truth, they wont blv you, but would be nice to tell them the truth and free your mind and let the rest of the palava be on their head.
So there are 2 sides to all coins

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Janeesa: 2:42am On Oct 14, 2009
Yea thats sooo true, at the same time though Nigerians abroad like to show off now that they are abroad! they want to pretend like they are living the life when they are here shttin money out the ass just to pay for their car note ( cuz we r flashy like that and we like mercedes,lexus,hummer etc nothin wrong with that as long as u hv money for it !) then some Nigerians actually COMPETE with other Nigerians ( especially in Washington, D.C.) to see who has the most expensive house or car, its soo immature, Some Nigerians are really just suffering and over whelmed with bills, so much for "living the life in America!!! LMFAO!

I know one stupid guy like that who will be callin his ppl back home sayin life in America is sooo sweet ( yea right) and hes havin fun yet this guy works as a CNA, lives in a roach infested apartment ,has a broke down mercedes and buys his prada and gushi ( thats his pronounciation lmao) instead of payin his light bill, now THAT is the ULTIMATE AMERICAN dream!!!!!

thats just wat ive always wanted : live in a roach infested apartment, drive a piece of shit and clean ass smiley
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 2:46am On Oct 14, 2009
Janeesa:

Yea thats sooo true, at the same time though Nigerians abroad like to show off now that they are abroad! they want to pretend like they are living the life when they are here shttin money out the ass just to pay for their car note ( cuz we r flashy like that and we like mercedes,lexus,hummer etc nothin wrong with that as long as u hv money for it !) then some Nigerians actually COMPETE with other Nigerians ( especially in Washington, D.C.) to see who has the most expensive house or car, its soo immature, Some Nigerians are really just suffering and over whelmed with bills, so much for "living the life in America!!! LMFAO!

I know one stupid guy like that who will be callin his ppl back home sayin life in America is sooo sweet ( yea right) and hes havin fun yet this guy works as a CNA, lives in a roach infested apartment ,has a broke down mercedes and buys his prada and gushi ( thats his pronounciation lmao) instead of payin his light bill, now THAT is the ULTIMATE AMERICAN dream!!!!!

thats just wat ive always wanted : live in a roach infested apartment, drive a piece of shit and clean ass smiley

So true and it is so irritating when family now start comparing you with those kinda a$$holes.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by omoNJ(f): 4:28am On Oct 14, 2009
I totally understand that some dejo pretend instead of telling the truth abt how things really are abroad. But I don't think its fair to only blame those idiots. Ppl back home have long throat period! Just because lagbaja and tamedo comes home with flashy car and shower money like no man's business that doesn't mean that life is like that. Don't judge me because Mr A says life is good in America. If I tell u that I can't send u anything, just take it as that. Just because ur neighbor's sister's son's wife's daughter-in-law say life is good in America (well life might be good for her, however u want to interpret that) that doesn't mean that I have $1000 or so to send u. People have wives and children to cater for, if u don't pay ur bill, u will be homeless. Its not like in Naija were ppl hide when they see landlords coming. You will come home with ur stuff outside on the curb while ur neighbors start packing ur valuables. So ur immediate family (husband, wife and kids) comes first, then worry about ppl back home. Believe it or not if u don't send that $$$$ they r asking about, they will survive. I bet they have it in their bank account but will like to help u spend urs. NONSENSE
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 7:21pm On Oct 14, 2009
omoNJ:

I totally understand that some dejo pretend instead of telling the truth abt how things really are abroad. But I don't think its fair to only blame those idiots. Ppl back home have long throat period! Just because lagbaja and tamedo comes home with flashy car and shower money like no man's business that doesn't mean that life is like that. Don't judge me because Mr A says life is good in America. If I tell u that I can't send u anything, just take it as that. Just because your neighbor's sister's son's wife's daughter-in-law say life is good in America (well life might be good for her, however u want to interpret that) that doesn't mean that I have $1000 or so to send u. People have wives and children to cater for, if u don't pay your bill, u will be homeless. Its not like in Naija were ppl hide when they see landlords coming. You will come home with your stuff outside on the curb while your neighbors start packing your valuables. So your immediate family (husband, wife and kids) comes first, then worry about ppl back home. Believe it or not if u don't send that $$$$ they r asking about, they will survive. I bet they have it in their bank account but will like to help u spend urs. NONSENSE

YOu have a point there, however, when they see flashy cars, and some people go home and pretend to live like kings and queens in america, and only their own pikin is complaining and yet they all live in same america, will be hard for the family to blv the pikin now.
I just think some demands are crazy, and i hope this generation is doing all possible never to depend on the kids for feeding tomorrow
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by redsky1: 9:43pm On Oct 14, 2009
do what i do and don't give.

simple - now no one expects anything from me.

by the time i finish listing bills for them and telling them that life in nigeria is better self - they go begin pity me!! ha ha ha cheesy cheesy

anyway i haven't finished enjoying my holidays its for some lazy bum asking me for my hard earned dirty cash - nonsense!!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Fhemmmy: 9:49pm On Oct 14, 2009
redsky1:

do what i do and don't give.

simple - now no one expects anything from me.

by the time i finish listing bills for them and telling them that life in nigeria is better self - they go begin pity me!! ha ha ha cheesy cheesy

anyway i haven't finished enjoying my holidays its for some lazy bum asking me for my hard earned dirty cash - nonsense!!

I think yu are talking about friends and distant family and not Mom and Dad and sisters and bros

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice / Canada Warns Nigerian Asylum Seekers Crossing From US: There's 'no Free Ticket' / The New Mtn Code For Making Calls Free To All Network

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.