Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,300 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie (7440 Views)

Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! / Stephannie Okereke Plays Slave In Hollywood Movie! / Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 4:00pm On Oct 14, 2009
omar22:

EXCUSE ME,  within weeks someone would train themselves to have a Nigerian accent, Didnt Leonardo Di Caprio have an African accent in Blood Diamond

His African accent was more like the Boer  type accent. The real west African accent will be difficult too pull off without someone with 100% negro blood because of the shape of the jaws.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by 55gal(m): 4:05pm On Oct 14, 2009
Goos news for Nigerians!Better things ahead. grin
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 4:07pm On Oct 14, 2009
MrCrackles:

I can relate to Olu Jacobs but none of the other pranksters parading as actors and actresses!

Ok we can now write the production team and demand for our rights like we do in Nigerian politics:

WE NIGERIANS DEMAND THE USE OF OLU JACOBS IN YOUR PRODUCTION OTHERWISE WE WILL BOYCOTT THE MOVIE LIKE WE DID DISTRICT 9. ANY ATTEMPT TO USE ANOTHER ACTOR OR ACTRESSES FROM ANOTHER AFRICAN TRIBE OUTSIDE THE SHORES OF NIGERIA WILL SPELL TROUBLE. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by Utaroz(m): 4:12pm On Oct 14, 2009
Great news! Kudos to 'Amanda. Naija's still got talent!
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by mikeoscar: 4:22pm On Oct 14, 2009
I[b] think i m having a crush on this lady called Chimamanda,and it gets stronger every single day, who in the house has her contact ?[/b]

@RooneyBoy,
you're coming too late, she just got married cheesy grin
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by MrCrackles(m): 4:24pm On Oct 14, 2009
mike oscar:

@RooneyBoy,
you're coming too late, she just got married cheesy grin
Devastating! grin
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by mecylee(f): 4:25pm On Oct 14, 2009
MrCrackles:

No abeg. . .Dont pour sand inside the garri!
We dont want a buncha idiotas under the banner of nollywood please

hey man i think u are not being fair with our nigeria actor they are not all that bad as we think them to be though am not a movie lover but then those guys are really doing something meaningful let lean to appreciate our own with time they will do better, after all who would have though that so brillant brain like Chimamanda would have come out from Naija at this time, this is a clear indication that there are many good things is in this nation (pls dont mind our leaders) God dey.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by ugonna245(m): 4:27pm On Oct 14, 2009
In short I am over the moon cos of these news. For those of you who have not read the book you do not know what you are missing. I finished the book in hours. i read it thru the night and when i finished it i could not stop the tears, i cried like a baby.

My only fear is I hope they will not mutilate the book in making the movie. I have never enjoyed watching a movie i read about!
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 4:28pm On Oct 14, 2009
mecylee:

hey man i think u are not being fair with our nigeria actor they are not all that bad as we think them to be though am not a movie lover but then those guys are really doing something meaningful let lean to appreciate our own with time they will do better, after all who would have though that so brillant brain like Chimamanda would have come out from Naija at this time, this is a clear indication that there are many good things is in this nation (pls dont mind our leaders) God dey.

We should mind our leaders abeg. If the head is not right, the body will not function. I bet you, oyibo will soon snatch chimamamnda away like they did to others like Ben Okri, Wole Soyinka, Ben Enwonwu and Achebe.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by MrCrackles(m): 4:30pm On Oct 14, 2009
mecylee:

I laugh in Ougadougou. . .  grin cheesy grin
My friend the way i feel about Nigerian actors and actresses at the moment and even tomorrow, wont change!
You are entitled to your opinions so am i to my viewpoints. . . .I respect your opinion
Let me remind you about my views regarding nollywood, the actors and actresses - They are all a sack of rotten tomatoes, piss poor and disgraceful! grin
Good things to come from the nation indeed!
The favourite word of most Nigerians is "God Dey". . . .WTF!!! grin
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by platinumnk(f): 4:40pm On Oct 14, 2009
Great News, Would love to take my dad to see it, he loved Tears from the Sun

Great to remember those who suffered during that time.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by africhika(f): 4:40pm On Oct 14, 2009
WOW! they took my idea!
they'll need actors who can do a good 9ja accent.

quote by mike oscar

« #36 on: Today at 10:22:36 AM »

@RooneyBoy,
you're coming too late, she just got married  cheesy grin

i heard she was dating a doctor in maryland. is that the new husband?
on her interview with CNN, she refused to talk about dating. the lady has real class.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by semid4lyfe(m): 4:41pm On Oct 14, 2009
Kudos to her.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 4:42pm On Oct 14, 2009
Half Of A Yellow Sun won a Orange Prize for Fiction in 2007 and the young British-American author was named by ESSENCE as a honorable African.

Did any of you notice the bolded part in the report?. When did Chiamanda become British-American when she carries Nigerian passport?
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by netotse(m): 4:46pm On Oct 14, 2009
africhika:

WOW! they took my idea!
they'll need actors who can do a good 9ja accent.

i heard she was dating a doctor in maryland. is that the new husband?
on her interview with CNN, she refused to talk about dating. the lady has real class.

we decided not to come public about us till we're ready thats why  grin grin
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by dqueenbee: 4:49pm On Oct 14, 2009
now where are those scrap bits of novels i wrote when i was little?, omg, i should be making some huge bucks! cry *sniffling*, im damn proud of her though!
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by africhika(f): 4:50pm On Oct 14, 2009
i cried soooo many times reading this novel. it's truly a masterpiece
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by ezeagu(m): 4:51pm On Oct 14, 2009
Half of a Yellow sun is a very West African book, so much more West African than the Last King of Scotland ever was, so it will be interesting to see how Hollywood handles the social context, if they don't work with Chimamanda and get all the social context, history, culture etc. of the east the movie will fail.

For people saying they won't use Nigerian actors, I doubt that, unless the movie is set somewhere other than the east, the east is very distinctive so the same emotion Chimamanda inflicted onto the novel while she was probably reminiscing on her own experiences back home would again be shattered if it not set in the east.

If anybody has read the book they would know that the book has a lot of the culture of the east as well as the history of the Biafran war. People who read this book, including Americans etc. have picked up on this and was one of the things that made the book very interesting. This will mean that Hollywood will be forced to do research remember, this move would not be from Western eyes (although they might surprise us because there's a English person as one of the main characters), unlike the other hollywood Biafra movie 'Tears of the sun' which had Bruce Willis ( ) as the main character and the Biafrans were background props.  grin

I wonder if Gowon's kids and grandchildren will watch the film if it is made.  grin
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by asha80(m): 4:53pm On Oct 14, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Did any of you notice the bolded part in the report?. When did Chiamanda become British-American when she carries Nigerian passport?

Na so.In no distant future they will now refer to her as an american of nigerian descent  undecided
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by agabaI23(m): 4:58pm On Oct 14, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I was confused when i saw it.

In fact I was like, is it not the same babe that was studying medicine in UNN before she left for overseas?
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 5:09pm On Oct 14, 2009
asha 80:

Na so.In no distant future they will now refer to her as an american of nigerian descent  undecided

That is what its boiling down to. I am 90% sure they figured that nothing good like that will come out of God forsaken Africa. And the annoying thing is that Chimamanda is more Nigerian than any of us here. She is proudly Nigerian and for someone to try and rewrite her history is unbecoming.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by ezeagu(m): 5:11pm On Oct 14, 2009
Jamati is an 'African' website, so who is claiming?
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 14, 2009
ROTFLMAO @ all!
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by ezeagu(m): 5:15pm On Oct 14, 2009
Bludeville:

ROTFLMAO @ all!

What's the joke?
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by matiltomd(f): 5:24pm On Oct 14, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I thought i was the only one that saw it, na wa o!!! these people can be damn ridiculous at times, why British-American? I doubt if she'll be comfy if she sees that though, shiow!!! angry angry
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by mrperfect(m): 5:28pm On Oct 14, 2009
I thank God for her life.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 5:40pm On Oct 14, 2009
ezeagu:

Jamati is an 'African' website, so who is claiming?
The source is wordpress and not jamati.
http://fg2bh./2009/09/04/half-of-a-yellow-sun-coming-to-movie-theaters/

They are also suggesting these two people for the movie
[img]http://fg2bh.files./2009/09/chiwetel-yaya-half-of-yellow-sun-dream-cast.png?w=430&h=279[/img]
Chiwetel Ejifor as Richard /Yaya DaCosta as twin sisters Olanna and Kainene
[img]http://deadprezsociety.files./2008/08/yaya3.jpg?w=200&h=300[/img]
Yaya da Costa
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by NIGboi(m): 5:42pm On Oct 14, 2009
Half Of A Yellow Sun won a Orange Prize for Fiction in 2007 and the young British-American author was named by ESSENCE as a honorable African. shocked

What does this mean?  these so - called white guys are at it again. Trying to steal our very own Nigerian lady. What do they think, any good black person belongs to them and the bad ones to Nigeria or Africa. this is pissing me off angry
Madam re - branding should take this up full time!!
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by Rooneyboy(m): 5:48pm On Oct 14, 2009
Oh goodness ! Chimamanda Married , r u sure of what u saying ?
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by rudegirl: 5:52pm On Oct 14, 2009
Trash u cares,will the film bring food to the common man's table shocked
so why the accolades!!! tongue  shocked
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by rudegirl: 5:58pm On Oct 14, 2009
Rooneyboy:

Oh goodness ! Chimamanda Married , r u sure of what u saying ?

you often act like goat,,I AM NOT SO SUPRISED, goats never mind climbing ducks.

you suck,  grin
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by Kenezi: 6:00pm On Oct 14, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

His African accent was more like the Boer  type accent. The real west African accent will be difficult too pull off without someone with 100% negro blood because of the shape of the jaws.

Are you mad?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Let's Talk About 'the Gifted' TV Show Here / Prison Break Season 2 / Movies You Are Ashamed To Admit U Have Never Seen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.