Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,217 members, 7,836,056 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie (7448 Views)

Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! / Stephannie Okereke Plays Slave In Hollywood Movie! / Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 10:39pm On Oct 14, 2009
What do you mean?. Are you saying that Nigerians are not good enough for a big budget movie?. We are only good enough for peanuts?. I remember somebody told me the same thing when PSG wanted to sign Okocha for $17M. back then, African players don't earn that much and that person told me that no Oyibo in his right mind will pay an African such amount for his services in soccer. Well, it happened. Stop looking down on us; many actresses in Nigeria are better than Sophie Okonedo.

What pressure can she sustain more than Nigerians who manage to shoot movies without electricity?

I rest my case!!!

You call shooting without lights pressure? tell me your joking!!!! Acting has moved away from remembering your lines, you have to take on board the your role's character, you would have to enter that characters world. for example look at "Jenifa" the movie, despite the ladies were students none of them acted like a student or spoke like a typical student, or showed the character of a student, They all acted the same as a student as when they left university. compared to Kirstie Dunst and Julia Stile in Mona Lisa Smiles, they took the character of a Student,

Am not knocking the Nigerian stars all am saying that they are not ready and the Nollywood industry doesnt groom their stars towards that level, even one Bollywood star has broke into Hollywood, look at how long it took Jackie Chan and Jet Li to brake into Hollywood,

We are not ready and the movie is going straight to the pictures or Cinema and not home video and the producers has to get it right,
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 10:44pm On Oct 14, 2009
Joke Silva, Onyeka Onwenu, Hilda Dokubo

Onye---who!!! as in the singer?

none of them would be prepared to learn to speak with an Afrikaan accent
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by linkin8k(m): 11:33pm On Oct 14, 2009
omar22:

Onye---who!!! as in the singer?

none of them would be prepared to learn to speak with an Afrikaan accent

No be money them go pay them? They will surely learn d accent if given the role.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by 9ja4eva: 11:37pm On Oct 14, 2009
Proud to be a Nigerian.

Well done Chimamanda.At least we are getting recognized gradually for good things.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by mikeoscar: 11:43pm On Oct 14, 2009
@Africhika

i heard she was dating a doctor in maryland. is that the new husband?
on her interview with CNN, she refused to talk about dating. the lady has real class.

Yep, I heard that's the guy. When you say "the new husband" are you suggesting she was married to some one else previously?
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 11:47pm On Oct 14, 2009
No be money them go pay them? They will surely learn d accent if given the role.

Have they done it before? NO

Nuff said!!!
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by agabaI23(m): 12:17am On Oct 15, 2009
omar22:

Have they done it before? NO

Nuff said!!!
So if they have not done it before they cannot learn? lol, If a white man says that you will call him a racist!
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 12:33am On Oct 15, 2009
agabaI23:

So if they have not done it before they cannot learn? lol, If a white man says that you will call him a racist!

Don't mind him.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 12:35am On Oct 15, 2009

you wont understand
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 12:41am On Oct 15, 2009
omar22:

you wont understand

Will you choose Zimbabwean-American, Danai Gurira for the flick?

Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by agabaI23(m): 12:45am On Oct 15, 2009
omar22:

you wont understand
#
Try first to explain before you conclude that I am dumb grin
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 12:57am On Oct 15, 2009
@Emeka

Let me break it down for you!

The production company is English based, probably the director would be a Scottish (Kevin Macdonald) what to fund the movie you have the justify that you are more likely to make twice or 3 times the actual budget, now who would dp you think would promote the movie more on a global stage Olu Jacobs or Denzel? Kerry Washington or Genevieve because the movie wont be relying on Nigeria ciname gate takings so am sorry but every leading role would be occupied by a foreign based actors they might african born but they are more established in the western worlds movie industry
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 1:07am On Oct 15, 2009
@agaba1 am not saying your dumb!! no if you look at all the major roles based on a story in Africa, they normally use a foreign based African who is well establish in the movie industry or they would ask for an african american do it because they could easily learn to take on that roles character including the accent,

but in Africa its different,  if you ask Genevieve, Rita or Omotola to act as Gaddaffi's daughter, they would still speak like a nigerian, behave like a nigerian,
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by agabaI23(m): 1:13am On Oct 15, 2009
omar22:

@agaba1 am not saying your dumb!! no if you look at all the major roles based of a story in Africa, they normally use a foreign based African who is well establish in the movie industry or they would ask for an african american do it because they could easily learn to take on that roles character including the accent,

b[b]ut in Africa its different, if you ask Genevieve, Rita or Omotola to ask as Gaddaffi's daughter, they would speak like a nigerian, behave like a nigerian, [/b]
Bro you are making an assumption and it is not true. Do you rememeber there was a time an african american would not be believed to do anything right even if his life depended on it.

That the producers here are after quick money does not mean they cannot do it. When some of this guys are exposed to polished directors and they told what to do, they will try and learn. Do not forget that most naija movies atre short within 2 weeks.

In hollywood it is all different ball game. They take time to perfect every part. Please spare them!
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by Kunbee: 1:19am On Oct 15, 2009
Congrats oo baby gal u made us proud
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 1:35am On Oct 15, 2009
agabaI23:

Bro you are making an assumption and it is not true. Do you rememeber there was a time an african american would not be believed to do anything right even if his life depended on it.

That the producers here are after quick money does not mean they cannot do it. When some of this guys are exposed to polished directors and they told what to do, they will try and learn. Do not forget that most naija movies atre short within 2 weeks.

In hollywood it is all different ball game. They take time to perfect every part. Please spare them!

I wonder why this guy thinks we are lame. If Chimamanda wrote a story that attracts their attention, why can't we provide thespians who can do the same?
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 1:42am On Oct 15, 2009
Do not forget that most naija movies atre short within 2 weeks.

which time are you talking about because Sidney Poitie has been winning acting awards since the 60s they dont give afro/american roles because they dont want to,  let me tell you something i have worked in a film company,  no film company would risk it,

Even Ghandi was played by an English man and not an Indian

I wonder why this guy thinks we are lame. If Chimamanda wrote a story that attracts their attention, why can't we provide thespians who can do the same?

she wrote the Novel end of story (they would reward her name and would be the screenwriter of the movie thats it), she has no right over who acts or appear unless if she wants to direct and produce the movie herself. They could change the story to suit them, add some parts that never happened,
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by ezeagu(m): 1:56am On Oct 15, 2009
Why are people calling out random actresses who wouldn't fit any roles in the film? Have you guys read the book? I doubt it.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 1:57am On Oct 15, 2009

Chimanda teaches writing in Lagos. Apply here:
http://blog.farafinamagazine.com/?tag=farafina-trust
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by ezeagu(m): 2:02am On Oct 15, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

How was the female character described?

[img]http://1.bp..com/_dYiGvTdvnu0/SP3cMFUtHdI/AAAAAAAAAbs/L1wBJjTJ9H4/s400/Z10.jpg[/img]
Bimbo Akintola

Not like that. You guys should read the book, instead of me giving you a walkthrough of the book, because the people your posting pictures of are way off. Lets leave it at that.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by ezeagu(m): 2:04am On Oct 15, 2009
But for Ugwu I think they will have to get somebody from the village otherwise it will definitely not work. grin
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by THEAMAKA(f): 2:05am On Oct 15, 2009
LMFAO!!
why am i not surprised that omar22 is here, talking more rubbish.
from page one, i knew i would see him on the last page.
hahahahaha!!!

this guy is so predictable.
it seems nollywood rejected him, why is he filled with so much animosity?
jeez, really though.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by Olong(m): 4:51am On Oct 15, 2009
Awe-struck!but inspired
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by Alxmyr(m): 2:03pm On Oct 15, 2009
out of 9ja, straight from 9ja, hollywood credibility,
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by okunoba(m): 3:16pm On Oct 15, 2009
@Ezeagu,
"I wonder if Gowon's kids and grandchildren will watch the film if it is made"
That should also include Ojukwu`s kids.
The novel was objective regarding the war, it showed Igbo army officers living large while the masses were starving.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by ezeagu(m): 4:11pm On Oct 15, 2009
okunoba:

@Ezeagu,
"I wonder if Gowon's kids and grandchildren will watch the film if it is made"
That should also include Ojukwu`s kids.
The novel was objective regarding the war, it showed Igbo army officers living large while the masses were starving.

I can't remember them "living large" all I remember was them abusing their power like the woman that was raped (there were blockades then they couldn't 'live large' if they wanted to), but anyway the book doesn't mention Ojukwu in a bad light, it mentions him once I think, whereas it was very clear that Gowon was the villain along with Britain.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by lady44: 10:00pm On Oct 15, 2009
this is good news! grin
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 2:18am On Oct 16, 2009
ezeagu:

Not like that. You guys should read the book, instead of me giving you a walkthrough of the book, because the people your posting pictures of are way off. Lets leave it at that.

Why is Bimbo not fit for the twin characters?. I have not read the book anyway.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by adaphik(f): 2:45am On Oct 16, 2009
her books are great, kudos :d :d :d
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by Hunwa(f): 3:15am On Oct 16, 2009
I am really happy for Chimamanda. I've read that book and WOW! that book is goooooood. can't wait to see it on sceen, I only hope they do justice to the story line and not over-edit it thereby making it lose its real substance.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 7:48am On Oct 16, 2009
I am really happy for Chimamanda. I've read that book and WOW! that book is goooooood. can't wait to see it on sceen, I only hope they do justice to the story line and not over-edit it thereby making it lose its real substance.

We are talking about a Hollywood movie? you are going to see some twist and turns which would leave you confused,
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by gaphy(m): 9:25am On Oct 16, 2009
I think Djimon Hansou can pull it off, afterall he's from Benin, he already has our accent, will also love to see Sophie Okenedo, its been a while, there's also Chiwetel Ejiofor and Adewale Agbaje they are all naija peeps, wouldn't mind seeing a naija based act like Genevieve also.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Movies You Are Ashamed To Admit U Have Never Seen / How To Download A Movie With Torrents? / I Didn’t Snatch Anybody’s Husband – Funke Akindele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.