Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,148 members, 7,835,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie (7446 Views)

Chimamanda's Novel "Americanah" Is Getting A Hollywood Adaptation! / Stephannie Okereke Plays Slave In Hollywood Movie! / Nigeria's Coat Of Arms Used In A Hollywood Movie (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by THEAMAKA(f): 9:28am On Oct 16, 2009
^^^^

for that last statement, expect the wrath of omar22.
you know how he does.
anytime you mention a name like that, HE WILL COME!
you have summoned him. undecided
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 10:43am On Oct 16, 2009
^^^^

for that last statement, expect the wrath of omar22.
you know how he does.
anytime you mention a name like that, HE WILL COME!
you have summoned him.   

Sorry to disappoint you!
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 10:45am On Oct 16, 2009
I think Djimon Hansou can pull it off, afterall he's from Benin, he already has our accent, will also love to see Sophie Okenedo, its been a while, there's also Chiwetel Ejiofor and Adewale Agbaje they are all naija peeps, wouldn't mind seeing a naija based act like Genevieve also.

I havent read the book so i cant say who to play what role, but all the leading roles would definitely go to the top dogs of the movie world.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by mrsb(f): 10:46am On Oct 16, 2009
Amazing book, cried my eyes out reading it and swore to myself I would learn more about the Biafran War,

Great for Nigeria for it to be made into a Hollywood movie BUT sometimes movies ruin a story so it almost unrecognisable - eg Captain Corelli, Kite Runner.

I pray they give her story justice.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 10:52am On Oct 16, 2009
@Mrsb

If the movie is produced and Directed by Nollywood? they might play it so close to the story, but a real life story would be acted in a drama scenario, and I would be a waste
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by ezeagu(m): 2:30pm On Oct 16, 2009
I suspect they may use Genevieve for the twins, she would be alright, but they might use Yaya Da Costa which I don't really know if it will work, neither do I know if Chiwetel Ejiofor would work as the lead man. Lets wait and see if the movie will actually be made first.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by sleak(m): 2:57pm On Oct 16, 2009
I'd read a lot of materials on the war while growing up.my dad had boxes of magazines and newspaper publications just before the war,during n post war.books written by individuals on both sides of the divide n even foreign neutrals.however non could tell it ike chimamanda.she transports you to d war n u can almost relive it-the adulation n expectancy,pain n grief,humour in despair.
i hope,more like pray,they can do justice to the work.its a classic
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by chiogo(f): 10:00pm On Oct 16, 2009
Congrats to Chimamanda!!!! So proud of her cry cry smiley

Now I gotta read that book.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 2:50am On Oct 17, 2009
mrsb:

Amazing book, cried my eyes out reading it and swore to myself I would learn more about the Biafran War,

Great for Nigeria for it to be made into a Hollywood movie BUT sometimes movies ruin a story so it almost unrecognisable - eg Captain Corelli, Kite Runner.

I pray they give her story justice.

Frederick Forsyth's "The day of the jackal". There is no relationship between the superb novel and the movie.The director of that movie[Fred Zinnemann] should be shot to death.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 10:00am On Oct 17, 2009
Frederick Forsyth's "The day of the jackal". There is no relationship between the superb novel and the movie.The director of that movie[Fred Zinnemann] should be shot to death.

Why, he who blows the piper controls the tune, he who produces the movie could do whatever he/she likes, at the end of the day they dont need to shoot it in Nigeria if theirs so many red tapes to cut,
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 7:36pm On Oct 17, 2009
omar22:

Why, he who blows the piper controls the tune,  he who produces the movie could do whatever he/she likes,  at the end of the day they dont need to shoot it in Nigeria if theirs so many red tapes to cut,

Who is arguing that with you. They can shoot it in the moon  if they want as long as they can create the proper  background. in the same vein, they can invite a Nigerian actor/actress to wherever they are shooting it to work with them. It's this attitude that makes most directors misrepresent Africa in many of their movies.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 17, 2009
Wishing for Nollywood actors in this movie is not going to happen. I'd suggest the following though
Nobert Young - Odenigbo
Genevieve Nnaji - Olanna
Funlola Aofiyebi - Kainene
Francis Duru - Ugwu
Binta Ayo Mogaji ( the yoruba woman in Odenigbo's discussion group, if u've read the book u'll understand)
@ Aloy u r a man after my heart, always spot on
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 8:33pm On Oct 17, 2009

Who si arguing that with you. They can shoot it in the moon if they want as long as they can create the proper background. in the same vein, they can invite a Nigerian actor/actress to wherever they are shooting it to work with them. It's this attitude that makes most directors misrepresent Africa in many of their movies.

I wasnt arguing with you, I was saying it as it, it seems like everyone is trying to dictate who should be in the film and where the film has t be shot, at the end of the day the film Budget could be around $15m to $40m lets say the film was expected to make $60m in return! how much of that $60m would come from Nigeria's share of the market?
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by africhika(f): 3:47am On Oct 18, 2009
it's being produced by the same team that produced Last King of Scotland (which didn't use many africans in the major roles).

genevieve is no where no good enough to play olanna.
they'll probably use african actresses like sophie okonedo (from hotel rwanda) or leleti khumalo (from sarafina).
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by spizzlenik(m): 7:27am On Oct 18, 2009
africhika:

it's being produced by the same team that produced Last King of Scotland (which didn't use many africans in the major roles).

genevieve is no where no good enough to play olanna.
they'll probably use african actresses like sophie okonedo (from hotel rwanda) or leleti khumalo (from sarafina).

That's sad though, I wouldn't mind seeing some nigerian actor/actresses in the movie. I would also love it to be filmed in Nigeria, not some carribean jungle like hollywood does most of the time.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 7:39am On Oct 18, 2009
That's sad though, I wouldn't mind seeing some nigerian actor/actresses in the movie. I would also love it to be filmed in Nigeria, not some carribean jungle like hollywood does most of the time.

Well they would have think about whats safe for the casting crew most especially incidents of kidnapping going on in the delta region not only that cost would become a factor, theirs a reason why Hollywood is being avoided by so many stars or production companies. they would be a lot of Nigerian actors but unfortunately theirs a very strong chance they wont be nollywood stars David Oyelowo is a very good actor, sophie is good as well
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 4:23am On Oct 22, 2009
Damn, Nigerians will rather pick a foreigner than their own.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by 9ja4eva: 12:24pm On Oct 22, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I believe the producers of the movie will use Nigerian stars at least to sell the movie home and abroad.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 1:37pm On Oct 22, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, Nigerian would not be funding the movie
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by AloyEmeka6: 7:37pm On Oct 22, 2009
omar22:

Hello, Nigerian would not be funding the movie

Did Indians fund Slumdog millionaire?
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 8:10pm On Oct 22, 2009
Did Indians fund Slumdog millionaire?

My point is that they would pick whoever they want and most likely not the local actors with slumdog millionaire
Dev patel is a London boy (BORN AND BREAD) he used to act in a sitcom called Skin

Freida Pinto was born in India by Portugese parents
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by ezeagu(m): 8:55pm On Oct 22, 2009
omar22:

My point is that they would pick whoever they want and most likely not the local actors with slumdog millionaire
Dev patel is a London boy (BORN AND BREAD) he used to act in a sitcom called Skin

Freida Pinto was born in India by Portugese parents

She doesn't have Portuguese parents she is a Mangalorian Catholic, which means she might have some Portuguese ancestors, but she's Indian. Dev Patel comes is a pure Gujarati who came from a place in London that is highly populated by Gujarati's, he may not have been born in India, but that does not mean he's not Indian anymore. Besides, everyone else in Slum Dog millionaire were Indian, born and bred, although it is a British movie and Chimamanda's book is being handled by Hollywood.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 9:22pm On Oct 22, 2009
Dev Patel is BRITISH

Someone who has been acting from a little kid in British sitcoms or programs

Its like me calling Obba Babatundé a Nigerian actor when he is American
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by ezeagu(m): 9:44pm On Oct 22, 2009
omar22:

Dev Patel is BRITISH

Someone who has been acting from a little kid in British sitcoms or programs

Its like me calling Obba Babatundé a Nigerian actor when he is American

Believe what you want to believe. Obba Babatundé not Nigerian? grin Oya go and tell people born in Britain with Nigerian parents that they're not Nigerian. grin It will reach to level where they will remove British one day and start calling him Indian, all that thing is rubbish.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by omar22(m): 10:10pm On Oct 22, 2009
May be when the BNP wins the election
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by ezeagu(m): 10:13pm On Oct 22, 2009
omar22:

May be when the BNP wins the election

Maybe when his career starts to not do so well and The Sun lays their hands on him. Britain is for Britons, don't let anybody tell you any different.
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by Gamine(f): 12:27pm On Oct 23, 2009
I'd really love to see the movie.

The book made me start liking Igbo guys,

sadly its fiction
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by oyinda3(f): 9:54pm On Jan 02, 2010
so who is her husband and when did she get married? i wanna see the pix of the cake n all. tongue
Re: Chimamanda's Book Picked For A Hollywood Movie by africhika(f): 6:32pm On Jan 07, 2010
GAMINE on: October 23, 2009, 05:27 AM:

I'd really love to see the movie.
The book made me start liking Igbo guys,

sadly its fiction

LOL.
i really liked Odenigbo.
Chimamanda made his character seem so loyal and realistic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Superstory 'sister Sister' / Movies You Are Ashamed To Admit U Have Never Seen / How To Download A Movie With Torrents?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.