Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now (37781 Views)

What Is Your Opinion On Laying Off Workers / DESOPADEC Workers Strip Unclad To Protest Non-Payment Of Bonuses (Pics) / Helmet Colours And Categories Of Workers That Wear Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by dragonking3: 4:32pm On Sep 30, 2016
chumakk:
4000 at once? have they tried it in south africa before?
Did South Africa vote in a dullard as president?
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by kryptonian1987(m): 4:35pm On Sep 30, 2016
I only sympathize with those who didn't vote "this st*p*d Government"!

For those who voted this Government, may this be the beginning of tens of plagues that will fire you!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 30, 2016
do people not understand the nature of contract staff? do they not read their contracts? which pension or gratuity is a contract staff looking for? what kind of educated dullards are we producing in this country?

4 Likes

Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by DjAduba(m): 5:05pm On Sep 30, 2016
OK, Sack them, we know that we can't be sacked without pay off, the laws are there. after all we didn't commit. sack me as a topical 9ja guy After working for 10 years atlest 9m is sure.
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by DjAduba(m): 5:06pm On Sep 30, 2016
OK, Sack them, we know that we can't be sacked without pay off, the laws are there. after all we didn't commit. sack me as a topical 9ja guy After working for 10 years atleste 9m is sure.
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by InvertedHammer: 5:18pm On Sep 30, 2016
/
They are contract staff as such are not entitled to benefits and pension.

Just to reiterate, any contract staff or any employee in Nigeria that decides to live off of one source of income deserves what comes his/her way.
Instead of "forming" phantom big boy/girl, save and start something to fall back on by the side.

But people live for the moment and act all surprised when the inevitable happens. NLC is useless. So employers can get away with any
shenanigan. He who fails to plan; plans to fail.

Stop living it up when you are an employee. You are just a number and very expendable. But some people like to learn the hard way.
\

2 Likes

Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by Obiwiz(m): 5:26pm On Sep 30, 2016
brightballer:
I pray it affects all wailers who pray for this country to fail.
Funny man. Leave the word "prayer" out of this. There's always reaction for every action. Wrong choices always come back to bite. It doesn't have to do with prayer. 2019 is about 30 months ahead. Meanwhile, let's enjoy the feedback of the choices made in 2015 till then. Enjoy the ride. #ShowMeUrBroom
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by sammily(m): 5:57pm On Sep 30, 2016
DjAduba:
OK, Sack them, we know that we can't be sacked without pay off, the laws are there. after all we didn't commit. sack me as a topical 9ja guy After working for 10 years atleste 9m is sure.

Not when one is a contract staff. Even if you work 20 years as a contract worker, you are not entitled to any benefits except stated in your agreement, which is very rare.
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by femarse: 6:31pm On Sep 30, 2016
Mpyaw:
Massive lay off coming to the banks soon

God forbid

is it your joy for people to get laid off their work ?
and u think u will sleep with your two eyes close ?
even u will be stolen and sold of at the inter slave market
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by tomayira(f): 6:39pm On Sep 30, 2016
Recession no dey affect me, no body fit sack me cos I'm my own boss, join me today, no body knows tomorrow. Its just a click away http:///?i=efeeloo@yahoo.co.uk
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by obstead200(m): 6:39pm On Sep 30, 2016
titus3:

Guy, I really sympathise with what is going on to you guys, but if you want to win sympathy for your cause, you should tell the truth not lies.
My brother works with you guys and he told me the whole story.

First of all, no be MTN dey sack you. Una no even reach 4000 sef!

Your vendor is CNSSL and their contract with MTN has ended.

So MTN appointed another vendor to manage you guys, but u guys are complaining about their terms and conditions. (Honestly, those terms no make sense sha)

at the bolded

Please what are these terms? I will like to know how fair or unfair they are
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by obstead200(m): 6:44pm On Sep 30, 2016
vodutive:
do people not understand the nature of contract staff? do they not read their contracts? which pension or gratuity is a contract staff looking for? what kind of educated dullards are we producing in this country?

Abeg help me ask this questions oooo

I hate how Nigerians behave. I hate how they use social media to whip up public sympathy and emotional blackmail against a company in their own right.

Contract job is contract job. The terms of the contract were stated in their employment letters.
Why all the noise about disengagement?
I feel pity for them. But it does not give them the right to make the company look like devils (Although mtn na devil in other respects)
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by 4dor: 6:47pm On Sep 30, 2016
titus3:
Amen!

My brother will be starting his private biz soon. Our family had to contribute money for him, pending till he gets a new job. But he says he wants to collect his money today so that he will have money to start.

I blame Buhari and his APC govt for this. After they fined MTN, things have not been the same for them... Now they have brought indians to come and manage their call centre, and their office is outside Lagos. So a lot of the current staff cannot move.

I love everything you said until you got to the issue of blaming Buhari and APC for this, yes this government hasn't been top notch but ask yourself and I know your brother can be a good witness. Is this the first time this is happening at MTN? Even when the economy was ok, didn't they treat people like this?

On the issue of fine, so when foreign companies break our laws we shouldn't do anything because we don't want people to loose jobs? Didn't the government negotiate and later reduced their fine. This is the same reason that the entire Niger Delta has been ravaged by oil spillage.
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by millionaireman: 7:28pm On Sep 30, 2016
Job losses!!
Chai, this country was soaring - higher and higher than ever before in 2014/2015; it was pronounced by International community observers as the fastest growing in Africa

But then, some dark forces conferred and contrived APC, an amalgamation of incompatible politicians to take over. Their grouse? Igbos were indirectly in Aso Rock.
Now see man see show oo.
At this rate, how many Nigerians shall survive by 2019, assuming all things being equal till then?
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by yahyamay(m): 9:42pm On Sep 30, 2016
obstead200:

Abeg help me ask this questions oooo

I hate how Nigerians behave. I hate how they use social media to whip up public sympathy and emotional blackmail against a company in their own right.

Contract job is contract job. The terms of the contract were stated in their employment letters.
Why all the noise about disengagement?
I feel pity for them. But it does not give them the right to make the company look like devils (Although mtn na devil in other respects)

please do u have an idea on the terms of the contract,the answer is no. so you should have asked.
In the terms and conditions (pension, leave allowance and other benefits are included).so no sane person would fight for what's not documented. The last paid pension was last year October for CNSSL ILORIN. Leave allowance for this year has not been paid and it's due by September 30.Salary not paid yet as stated in the terms that its on or before 28th of the month. etc. we have to voice out so as to be heard. hope you are getting the picture of the situation now.

1 Like

Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by yahyamay(m): 9:45pm On Sep 30, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/
They are contract staff as such are not entitled to benefits and pension.

Just to reiterate, any contract staff or any employee in Nigeria that decides to live off of one source of income deserves what comes his/her way.
Instead of "forming" phantom big boy/girl, save and start something to fall back on by the side.

But people live for the moment and act all surprised when the inevitable happens. NLC is useless. So employers can get away with any
shenanigan. He who fails to plan; plans to fail.

Stop living it up when you are an employee. You are just a number and very expendable. But some people like to learn the hard way.
\

please do u have an idea on the terms of the contract,the answer is no. so you should have asked.
In the terms and conditions (pension, leave allowance and other benefits are included).so no sane person would fight for what's not documented. The last paid pension was last year October for CNSSL ILORIN. Leave allowance for this year has not been paid and it's due by September 30.Salary not paid yet as stated in the terms that its on or before 28th of the month. etc. we have to voice out so as to be heard. hope you are getting the picture of the situation now.

1 Like

Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by yahyamay(m): 9:49pm On Sep 30, 2016
to buttress the facts written above. we may be contract staffs to mtn but to CNSSL, WE ARE EMPLOYEES. that's the terms of the employment. employment letter is available for perusal. We are only fighting for our right

2 Likes

Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by emmanuelbrown26: 10:16pm On Sep 30, 2016
blackberlin:
If this is true, then it's very bad and the government should step in. . .
We know there's a ''recession'' but that doesn't mean that they should start sacking employees without their full benefits, that is so unethical.

Truth be told though, no one can blame any company for downsizing because the value of the naira is now 1/3 of what it used to be and companies cannot run on loss. . . I just pray for my country that she gets out of this issue soon.
Nigeria's story up to this present period is a story of how politicians looted the country to her knees. . . And the ones there now are story tellers and professional blamers.
on point
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by otipoju(m): 11:27pm On Sep 30, 2016
He who laugh lasts laugh best
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by mengho(m): 11:36pm On Sep 30, 2016
Nigerians like blame game woh, see as everyone dey curse & blame Buhari & mtn.

But where da he'll is that contractor holding people money 4 dis recession
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by Sweetlemon(f): 12:04am On Oct 01, 2016
This has nothing to do with recession. They have been planning this since early last year. Maybe even earlier.
Speaking as an mtn ex contract staff.
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by abdulrazak07(m): 12:07am On Oct 01, 2016
chumakk:
This is what you get when most big companies are not owned by Nigeriand! They can anything without second thought.
.... but not all d time, d so called nigeria out souring company MTN hired for d job has refuse to pay d staff their claims, right and entitlement.
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by abdulrazak07(m): 12:11am On Oct 01, 2016
yahyamay:
to buttress the facts written above. we may be contract staffs to mtn but to CNSSL, WE ARE EMPLOYEES. that's the terms of the employment. employment letter is available for perusal. We are only fighting for our right

Any 1 trying howsoever or whatso ever trying to put in his/or her best for our claim,right & entitlement not to b paid will never no peace, his or her family won't have any reason to celebrate them. Enuf is enuf my pple
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by ewosk: 1:42am On Oct 01, 2016
Third party employment is something else....

I dont pray for anyone to get a third party employment...i just left one....MMM and Farming ti take over
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by InvertedHammer: 1:55am On Oct 01, 2016
yahyamay:

/
I understand. The fact is that it is not enforceable.

The benefits are as the good as the paper they are written on. This is a wake up call to the ones that still have jobs. Every day you go to work, pretend that it is your last day and live accordingly. Things are going to get worse.

The President cannot get Nigeria out of recession. There has to be an economic team including CBN chairman, Minister of Finance and others. But the President has to lead which Buhari is not doing. The only hope for Nigeria is for oil price to go back up. Nothing else because critical thinking is alien to Nigeria leaders. They parade bogus and high sounding degrees that they cannot defend. Of course, it is only for titles.

\
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by eolafao: 2:52am On Oct 01, 2016
All i know is that our senators and house of rep encourage this companies to do this and go free.

Thou once you are a contract you can be terminated after expiration of your contract but after two years of contract you ought to be staff but dat not in Nigeria grin

Lawmakers show do a review on the labour law and enforce some, not sitting and voting for unknown confidence in a colleague.
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by sfinkzslot(m): 5:25am On Oct 01, 2016
is this the change they promised?

Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by obstead200(m): 6:29am On Oct 01, 2016
yahyamay:

fight for what is in the contract ONLY. U shud get it. If ur pension was agreed to be paid pro rata upon termination, u will get it. Same for ur leave allowance.

However, leave mtn alone. According to the contract, they are not ur employers.

1 Like

Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by godquality: 7:56am On Oct 01, 2016
NaijaEfcc:
I hope and pray that it is only Apc zombies that were affected!! like if you want the same as well
In what universe does this make sense. These are 4000 Nigerians regardless of which political party they are affiliated with.

Anyway if it's true that they were sacked without prior notice, without committing any offence and not being paid their full entitlement plus compensation for being fired then something is seriously wrong with the law of the land. I cry for my country.
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by yahyamay(m): 8:02am On Oct 01, 2016
obstead200:
fight for what is in the contract ONLY. U shud get it. If ur pension was agreed to be paid pro rata upon termination, u will get it. Same for ur leave allowance.

However, leave mtn alone. According to the contract, they are not ur employers.

why do we blame the government sometimes when something goes wrong in the country even when we know they might not be the direct cause. that is because the higher authority has to take responsibility
Re: MTN Laying Off Over 4000 Workers, Happening Right Now by dinggle: 8:52am On Oct 01, 2016
They are doing it because Nigerian consumers do not know they re more powerful than the president #DUMPMTNLINE, dump your MTN number until all 4000 contact staff are recalled. If every one dumps their MTN line, they will be left with two choices, recall the staff or leave Nigeria. We should always remember divided we fall.

http://NairaSite.com - Photo, Video and Social Sharing Site!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is ICAN As It Is Now Overrated / Pharmacists And Pharmaceutical Aspirants / Konga Sacks Over 70% Of Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.