Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,091 members, 7,814,794 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election (36942 Views)

See Foreign Observers Watching Biafra Sit At Home / Jega Replies Jonathan On Comments Over Conduct Of 2015 Election / INEC Announces Results Of Edo Governorship Election: Live Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by omofunaab(m): 9:49pm On Oct 01, 2016
Jidibia:

lol @ Mr sabinus. Hitches at elections should not be massive riggings okay. These ones are more than hitches, people collectively and openly rigged elections with the help of our corrupt and compromised security agents, you are here telling me hitches are meant to happen at elections? Hell noooo

See, the foreign observers didn't allege that election was rigged, they said there were logistics problems, observers weren't allowed inside collation center etc.. Then the observers said they interviewed pdp's party agents that later told them their own results varied from what inec released.. The obeservers didn't say their own results vary.

Both parties were inducing voters, so what are we saying.. It's not as if pdp weren't inducing voters too.
Besides all these things has been happening since.
Let's not talk as if it's a new thing in buhari's era
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by whyx06(m): 9:57pm On Oct 01, 2016
So, Buhari change begins with him campaign cannot change d old situation? Or how did u want me to believe in his administration...

omofunaab:

See, the foreign observers didn't allege that election was rigged, they said there were logistics problems, observers weren't allowed inside collation center etc.. Then the observers said they interviewed pdp's party agents that later told them their own results varied from what inec released.. The obeservers didn't say their own results vary.

Both parties were inducing voters, so what are we saying.. It's not as if pdp weren't inducing voters too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Jidibia(m): 10:19pm On Oct 01, 2016
omofunaab:

Fine, so where is the change? So buhari was voted for to continue with the atrocities of electoral malpractice right? I thought he (buhari) is a man of integrity. Oh now I see. Anyways, I am done on this issue.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by LorDBolton(m): 10:26pm On Oct 01, 2016
Jidibia:

If US democracy were like that of Nigeria, Obama would never have won. So tell me where you have seen or heard that politicians shared dollars to voters openly to buy votes on election days in America? Your ignorance has no antidote so continue okay.

Did obama contest as an independent candidate?

Who was jonathan and what was his clout b4 he got picked by obj as yar'adua running mate so as to pacify the N.D?

If gej hadn't contested under pdp in 2011 would he have retained the seat?

Like I said you're ignorant infact your rebuttal proves your ignorance.

Whoever won between obama n clinton would automatically become president cos US electorates were tired of bush n the republicans.

Now obama was the beautiful bride that was why he was backed by more DNC big wigs (incase u don't know campaigns are expensive and heavily scrutinised thus a large warchest is essential)

Why am I even explaining american politics to u, you're a child who believes america is utopia. When clinton 'purportedly' lost to obama why was she immediately given secretary of state?

Show me where I said they openly share dollars, next thing u will claim I said police erect checkpoints to collect egunje....

You're soooo astronomically ignorant and uninformed that you really believe american politicians aren't even MORE corrupt comparead to naija politicians... Google congress lobbyist.

Anyway i'm done educating u good night

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by evansjeff(m): 10:29pm On Oct 01, 2016
khadaffi:

Look my brother, I don't give a rat about PDP or APC. When I first heard that media men and some party's agent were not allowed into the collation centre, I thought it was a lie because the complains came from PDP agents. If its found to be true, the election should be out rightly cancelled. There is nothing for INEC to improve on there, that is not how elections have been conducted in Nigeria.

As for money that was flying around. I was really surprised because I thought there was a law that stated that there should not be any form of campaigning on the day of voting. On that day people were openly canvassing for votes while the security men watched HELPLESSLY
i hate it when people open their mouth out of ignorance, only print media and online journalists where barred from the centre, asked TV and Radio media houses if they were ever barred at any point, that's the problem with nairalanders, you conclude based on stories you read online, just for your info, I'm an inec official and I'm 100% Benin.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Vince77(m): 10:43pm On Oct 01, 2016
VampireeM:
Everyone knows it was rigged in favour of APC even though the pdp and apc candidiates are figure heads. Just like APC and the Dullard will rig themselves back in 2019... Nigeria is just messed up. I'm even wondering what Nigerians are celebrating at 56 undecided

Pls who knows if yaba market will open today cause of independence? Abeg yaba nl residents and environs help me.. thanks
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by khadaffi(m): 10:54pm On Oct 01, 2016
evansjeff:
i hate it when people open their mouth out of ignorance, only print media and online journalists where barred from the centre, asked TV and Radio media houses if they were ever barred at any point, that's the problem with nairalanders, you conclude based on stories you read online, just for your info, I'm an inec official and I'm 100% Benin.

Please stop embarrassing yourself on a public forum Mr Inec official. In your vocabulary, print media and online journalist are not media people right?

1 Like

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Nobody: 11:15pm On Oct 01, 2016
nortcentrallord:

If what happened under Jonathan still happens now then where is the "Change"?
you are expecting everything to change overnight, which is not possible. Change is incremental and gradual. These institutions and agencies are still being manned by Nigerians who remain and will like to continue with the status quo dat benefits them, change will come if we change our ways.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 01, 2016
khadaffi:

PDP claimed they were not allowed entrance within some certain period (hours). If you want to know more on that, look for the official response they published regarding the election result.
what do u expect from PDP b4? The election accord to PDP would av been free and fair if they'd won.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by khadaffi(m): 11:21pm On Oct 01, 2016
franciskaine:
what do u expect from PDP b4? The election accord to PDP would av been free and fair if they'd won.

I don't care what the PDP says or think I'm not their spokesperson or supporter. I'm only concerned about the election process.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by maduck(m): 11:42pm On Oct 01, 2016
200000 jobs loading! lol
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by BraniacX(m): 12:27am On Oct 02, 2016
seunmsg:
The observations are general about the overall conduct of the election and did not in any anyway question the eventual outcome or the legitimacy of the winner.

They also observed correctly that all the party complained about inducement which mean that all of them were guilty. Going forward, I hope INEC can take a look at the observations and correct the loopholes in subsequent elections.

Oh but it did! It sure does!

]He further stated that “as the head of an international observer team, we were not allowed to go to the collation centres at a particular time. That is something we need to complain about. I asked who gave the instruction; who gave the order? It couldn’t be INEC.

“It could be, as they call it, order from above? But the security men told me that ‘sir, this is the order given to us.’ In every situation, one person is allowed to be there. Even when we delegated Victor (his assistant) to go in, he was not allowed to go into the hall.

He said, “He (Victor) was allowed to come within the compound, but was not inside the nucleus, where the whole the exercise took place, adding that “we should be there; we should get the result sheet. We should have a copy but we don’t have copies for now.
Gettit? undecided results announced don't tally with what was announced in the field!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by OreMI22: 1:09am On Oct 02, 2016
[size=13pt]We already know APC is hell bent on using Buhari's cousin as INEC chairman to rig all the elections from now to 2019. Where they lost so badly that rigging would be impossible, INEC will declare the elections "Inconclusive"

The days where incumbents never lose elections no matter the will of the people is back. Nigeria is officially back in the 1950s type of leadership
[/size]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Billygee2u: 1:28am On Oct 02, 2016
MadeInTokyo:
International observers, who monitored Wednesday Edo State governorship election have expressed reservations about the conduct of the election, pointing out that they were not denied entry into the centre vote collation centre and that security operatives at the polling units looked the other way while politicians and their agents induced voters with money.

Prof Ahmed Ansari, head of the African Union Observer Team, asked the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to improve on the functionality of the card readers as he noted that the machine did not work in some polling units.

He said along with other international observer groups such as the American Observer team, the British Council and others from the Netherlands and Scotland, the full reports of their impression of the election would be submitted to the INEC and other important election stakeholders.

He said, “The turnout was quite impressive, but there were problems here and there. Another challenge was understaffing. We saw situation whereby only one staff was in a polling unit. That was not good enough.

There were reports of inducement. Every party complained about inducement which to me mean that all of them were guilty. The electorate are not supposed to sell their consciences. To the politicians, it shouldn’t be about money.

He further stated that “as the head of an international observer team, we were not allowed to go to the collation centres at a particular time. That is something we need to complain about. I asked who gave the instruction; who gave the order? It couldn’t be INEC.

“It could be, as they call it, order from above? But the security men told me that ‘sir, this is the order given to us.’ In every situation, one person is allowed to be there. Even when we delegated Victor (his assistant) to go in, he was not allowed to go into the hall.

He said, “He (Victor) was allowed to come within the compound, but was not inside the nucleus, where the whole the exercise took place, adding that “we should be there; we should get the result sheet. We should have a copy but we don’t have copies for now.”

On the rescheduling of collation of results, Prof Ansari said, “it could be for security reasons based on advice, but I didn’t know why they had to stop and leave it for a particular time. Of course, there was no call for it.”

When asked what security operatives could have done upon noticing that money was exchanging hands at the polling units, he said “that depends on the order they gave them.”

Also speaking, Christian Victor from the African Union for Economic, Social and Cultural Council, said many of the things observed in the field on Wednesday were not the kind of things that should happen in an election.

He said, “One of them is that everywhere we visited was filled with money flying around. Some people were fighting some voters for not voting the political parties they were paid for. It was very disappointing that this kind of thing still happens in the Nigeria’s political system.

“I watched the security agencies and it was clear they understood that monies were flying but for reasons best known to them they did not stop it. There were cases of young men, who looked like thugs, driving around during the election.

“They were never stopped by security agencies. That is wrong where there is a restriction of movement. I also saw wealthy people moving around in SUVs during the election.

I have been part of many elections and I have never seen a situation whereby observers and journalists are not allowed into collation centres.”

A local observer, Sadoh Danladi Sunday, stated that it was shocking that the results announced by the INEC did not tally with those his group got from the field.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/foreign-observers-fault-conduct-edo-election/
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Billygee2u: 1:29am On Oct 02, 2016
OreMI22:
[size=13pt]We already know APC is hell bent on using Buhari's cousin as INEC chairman to rig all the elections from now to 2019. Where they lost so badly that rigging would be impossible, INEC will declare the elections "Inconclusive"

The days where incumbents never lose elections no matter the will of the people is back. Nigeria is officially back in the 1950s type of leadership
[/size]
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Billygee2u: 1:33am On Oct 02, 2016
evansjeff:
are you saying the the election monitor team are lying?
try to be reasonable and don't sell your conscience for a pot of soup.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by ABJ4Real(m): 2:14am On Oct 02, 2016
What manner of election is this? I thought we have abandoned our old ways. The ruling party in Edo left their flanks unguarded. Too many daring mistakes. The legs of the "innocent man" they have burried are sticking out.
Imagine Party Agents, Journalists, International observers and other important election stake holders were all denied entry into the collation centre. What were they hiding? From the look of things, the integrity of this election is indeed questionable.

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by LUV1: 3:09am On Oct 02, 2016
Jesus is lord except a man be born again he can not see the kingdom of God.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by 9japride(m): 3:34am On Oct 02, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Edos arent submissive, when annenih rigged oshomole election, edo was on fire, this election wasnt rigged edo can be broadly divided into benin, esan, etsako, akoko edo..., esan is pdp, etsako and akoko edo is apc, benin is majority apc, every edo man knew who won the election. pdp is just cry wolf.
[color=#006600][/color]

If so that's OK. But pdp really gave them a run for their money, Annenih messed things up in Edo state and pdp past sins are hunting them. Because I was wondering no protest on display election matter. The governor elect doesn't look like a serious minded person to me. Oshomole will control him and I just hope the new governor resist an for of godfatherism and improve on what Oshomole has done. Anyways if Edo state indigenes are ok with d rigging that's good for them. I doubt if any other southern state will take that $hit.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Emassive(m): 3:50am On Oct 02, 2016
****How can you not read through every observation but picked the one that favoured your induced explanation of a free and fair election. ****
seunmsg:
The observations are general about the overall conduct of the election and did not in any anyway question the eventual outcome or the legitimacy of the winner.

They also observed correctly that all the party complained about inducement which mean that all of them were guilty. Going forward, I hope INEC can take a look at the observations and correct the loopholes in subsequent elections.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Emassive(m): 3:51am On Oct 02, 2016
Nigerians are in trouble Come 2019. Recession till 2023 for shizzle with the way things stands unless crude is sold at 10,000usd Pb.
MadeInTokyo:
International observers, who monitored Wednesday Edo State governorship election have expressed reservations about the conduct of the election, pointing out that they were not denied entry into the centre vote collation centre and that security operatives at the polling units looked the other way while politicians and their agents induced voters with money.

Prof Ahmed Ansari, head of the African Union Observer Team, asked the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to improve on the functionality of the card readers as he noted that the machine did not work in some polling units.

He said along with other international observer groups such as the American Observer team, the British Council and others from the Netherlands and Scotland, the full reports of their impression of the election would be submitted to the INEC and other important election stakeholders.

He said, “The turnout was quite impressive, but there were problems here and there. Another challenge was understaffing. We saw situation whereby only one staff was in a polling unit. That was not good enough.

There were reports of inducement. Every party complained about inducement which to me mean that all of them were guilty. The electorate are not supposed to sell their consciences. To the politicians, it shouldn’t be about money.

He further stated that “as the head of an international observer team, we were not allowed to go to the collation centres at a particular time. That is something we need to complain about. I asked who gave the instruction; who gave the order? It couldn’t be INEC.

He said, “He (Victor) was allowed to come within the compound, but was not inside the nucleus, where the whole the exercise took place, adding that “we should be there; we should get the result sheet. We should have a copy but we don’t have copies for now.”

On the rescheduling of collation of results, Prof Ansari said, “it could be for security reasons based on advice, but I didn’t know why they had to stop and leave it for a particular time. Of course, there was no call for it.”

When asked what security operatives could have done upon noticing that money was exchanging hands at the polling units, he said “that depends on the order they gave them.”

Also speaking, Christian Victor from the African Union for Economic, Social and Cultural Council, said many of the things observed in the field on Wednesday were not the kind of things that should happen in an election.

He said, “One of them is that everywhere we visited was filled with money flying around. Some people were fighting some voters for not voting the political parties they were paid for. It was very disappointing that this kind of thing still happens in the Nigeria’s political system.

“I watched the security agencies and it was clear they understood that monies were flying but for reasons best known to them they did not stop it. There were cases of young men, who looked like thugs, driving around during the election.

“They were never stopped by security agencies. That is wrong where there is a restriction of movement. I also saw wealthy people moving around in SUVs during the election.

I have been part of many elections and I have never seen a situation whereby observers and journalists are not allowed into collation centres.”

A local observer, Sadoh Danladi Sunday, stated that it was shocking that the results announced by the INEC did not tally with those his group got from the field.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/foreign-observers-fault-conduct-edo-election/

1 Like

Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Nobody: 5:22am On Oct 02, 2016
mulattoclaro:
The international observers can go to hell for all I care. Any man or woman who lived in Edo state during the time of PDP will understand why it was necessary to kick them out. Why are they still trying to whine like a child denied breast milk. God bless Osho Baba. Yes we agreed there was some element of rigging but come to think of it who introduced rigging and share the money politics to Nigeria? Isn't it PDP? Why are they now crying after we best them to their own game?

just 4 likes for this long grammar. undecided
mulattoclaro:
The international observers can go to hell for all I care. Any man or woman who lived in Edo state during the time of PDP will understand why it was necessary to kick them out. Why are they still trying to whine like a child denied breast milk. God bless Osho Baba. Yes we agreed there was some element of rigging but come to think of it who introduced rigging and share the money politics to Nigeria? Isn't it PDP? Why are they now crying after we best them to their own game?

just 4 likes for this long grammar.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Deepfreezer(m): 5:25am On Oct 02, 2016
udatso:

And igbenedion was going to give you the semester school fees
do i look like a schoolboy to you?
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Kelvinigho(m): 6:55am On Oct 02, 2016
if the election was fair, I kept on wondering how YDP party got their votes when their logo wasn't in the voters register, the agent said during the final collation that he couldn't see where to vote, couldn't there be over night ringing , APC didn't ring it very well, dis is a costly mistake . remember collation was not done at local govt level .
The way APC is saying with confidence that PDP should go court it as if they own the judiciary but it will be surprising for them
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Samtob90(m): 7:10am On Oct 02, 2016
blueto:
We know the election was rigged in favor of the ruling party. Jonathan's legacy on conducting Free and Fair election has been marred.

Do you mean the legacy he laid in Rivers and Akwa Ibom election?
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by seunmsg(m): 7:11am On Oct 02, 2016
BraniacX:

Oh but it did! It sure does!

Gettit? undecided results announced don't tally with what was announced in the field!

You can believe whatever suits you but the truth is right there in the article. The foreign observers never disputed the outcome of the election. Their observations were more about logistics, planning, and the conduct of the two parties during the election. The Foreign observers never said the result does not reflect with outcomes from the field.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by franklynsunny(m): 8:01am On Oct 02, 2016
I was trapped in benin city hotel and I see people makin gud pay on d street of benin city

APC and pdp were playing voters N1500 to N3000 per vote depending on ur connections

Some1 made N3500 voting for APC dat day

I was shocked,like reli
They were both sharing money to voters?
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by Adekdammy: 8:03am On Oct 02, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
u can see ipods or pdp hypocrisy, so when gej induce with dollars it was not massive rigging, and for ur info, pdp share 1k-1.5k and osho decide to double it to 2k-3k becos of d recession cause by pdp and also use d same recession they cause to campaign against apc.

your moniker should depict evangelism, with this your mindset, do you think preaching Jesus and still justifying a wrong act because a party once did such is right?
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by achieverme(m): 8:22am On Oct 02, 2016
seunmsg:

You are pathetic. If the outcomes would be true and fair, why then did they prevent observers from entering the collation venue? At times, I wonder how some of you manage to live with so much ignoble inclinations in you.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by udatso: 8:27am On Oct 02, 2016
Deepfreezer:
do i look like a schoolboy to you?
It doesn't matter what you look like. What matters is that you are hurt the good people of Edo state have not forgiven Pdp for their record in the state. And I am glad you are. Pdp will never rule that state again. You can call it rigging it whatever you like.
Re: Foreign Observers Fault Conduct Of Edo Election by gbishman: 8:33am On Oct 02, 2016
This is quite sad, that's after GEJ handed over an independent electoral commission, it has taken only one godfather Oshomole to thwart the effort. this is quite appalling, where on earth would u not find foreign observers is collation centres except u something shady is going on. All they say the ballot never lies. The same credible tribunal which brought Oshomole to power would be same that would bring justice to the rightful winner.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Winners, Losers As 32 States Get More VAT Share Than They Generate / Ayoka Lawani, PDP Member Defects To APC!! / Yahaya Bello Meets Nwankwo Kanu (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.