Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused (9016 Views)

She Doesn't Want To Date Me Because I'm An Atheist / I Want To Break Up With Her But I'm Confused. / I'm Confused On Who To Choose, Help Me Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by SpicyJosBabe(f): 12:17pm On Oct 06, 2016
It started many weeks back i met this guy at an event, we exchanged numbers and since then we have been very close. We have gone out on dates together and i must confess that my love for this guy has grown so much that hardly a day goes by that i don't think of him and the same thing on his own path towards me.

I got the shock of my life 3 days ago when i was with this guy and somehow our conversation veered towards religious issues seriously for the first time and he told me plainly that he does not believe in God, i taught he was joking at first until i confronted him and he told me that he is an Atheist and nothing i can do to make him change his belief, that i either accept him for who he is or nothing else.
He said he can accept me for my religion and if our relationship leads to marriage, i can maintain my belief and he maintains his own.

I was born a christian and from a strict religious home and i still maintain christian values on my own even though i may not be so much religiously strict.
I blame myself though for not noticing this about him earlier, because initially i slighlty noticed that whenever i make religious exclamations, he acts uneasy and always changes the topic whenever i tilt towards religious discussions. We are in the same profession so most times our discussions are in that direction.

I left his place since that day and we have not spoken since then, but this guy's thoughts cannot leave my heart. He is the most wonderful guy i have met in my life, he has all the qualities i want in a man (except for religion), and my heart cannot just let go.
Pls, what should i do? I have never been so confused b4.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by HungerBAD: 12:20pm On Oct 06, 2016
Leave religion out of the matters of the heart.

It is his right to believe in whatever he believes in,and as long as those beliefs do not harm you,or him even forcing you to be an atheist,then follow your heart.

Who is a Christian?I am sure there are more Atheist who do more good,than those that claim to be Christians.

If marriage is your intention,then you guys should have a talk on how you guys wants the kids raised.

There are Atheists here married to Christian women,and I think they have a good marriage.

Hahn come here,shebi your madam na Christian?

23 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by jaymejate: 12:22pm On Oct 06, 2016
You don't believe in the same thing. The effect of this will someday affect the love. Take my word for it.

Btw, I'm interested in the North/middle belt baes wink

3 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by hahn(m): 12:22pm On Oct 06, 2016
He is the most wonderful guy i have met in my life, he has all the qualities i want in a man

except for religion

undecided
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by hahn(m): 12:24pm On Oct 06, 2016
HungerBAD:
Leave religion out of the matter of the heart.

It is his right to believe in whatever he believes in,and as long as those beliefs do not harm you,or him even forcing you to be an atheist,then follow your heart.

Atheism is not belief, it is the lack of belief in any deity or supreme being. Why is that so hard to understand? undecided

7 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by 2dice01: 12:24pm On Oct 06, 2016
they say love is blind but diss your own get inner eyes

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by HungerBAD: 12:29pm On Oct 06, 2016
hahn:

Atheism is not belief, it is the lack of belief in any deity or supreme being. Why is that so hard to understand? undecided

No be my fault,I no know book.

So Atheist people no believe in anything Hahn?una go go hell fire oh.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by jaymejate: 12:29pm On Oct 06, 2016
Also, this is a kind of relationship that is going in the direction of marriage.
Many things will emanate from it. It's either he changes you or you change him, that will be what will happen.
It means when there's some kind of misunderstanding, either of you will use your differences as a reference.

Better still... Seek higher knowledge. That's why there are marriage counselors and minister.

My 2cent
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 06, 2016
my sister, religion should have nothing to do with your love life because from the beginning it was not so BUT along the line as our brain evolved we thought there would be a shitty a.ss flying monster in the sky. Please love him for the content of his character and not for his belief or disbelief in a sky daddy.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by SpicyJosBabe(f): 12:38pm On Oct 06, 2016
HungerBAD:

Who is Christian?I am sure there are more Atheist who do more good,than those that claim to be Christians.

If marriage is your intention,then you guys should have a talk on how you guys wants the kids raised.

There are Atheists here married to Christian women,and I think they have a good marriage.

Thank u for your response. I always kept on hearing of Nigerian atheists, especially here on nairaland, never really thought that i'd ever be involved with one like this. It seems like atheism is really growing in Nigeria.

I wish this could be as easy as u say it. I was planning on taking him to see my mother soon, what would be my mother's reaction if she asks him his church denomination and he replies 'I am an atheist'? She will never accept, i know my mother. It will be so terrible.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by HungerBAD: 12:43pm On Oct 06, 2016
SpicyJosBabe:

Thank u for your response. I always kept on hearing of Nigerian atheists, especially here on nairaland, never really though that i'd ever be involved with one like this. It seems like atheism is really growing in Nigeria.

I wish this could be as easy as u say it. I was planning on taking him to see my mother soon, what would be my mother's reaction if she asks him his church denomination and he replies 'I am an atheist'? She will never accept, i know my mother. It will be so terrible.

Your mother is not the one getting married to him.

While it is important we listen to our parents,it is also very important we put our happiness first,before theirs.

Our parents have lived their live's,and it will be unfair they want to help their kids live theirs too.

13 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 06, 2016
2Corinthians 6:14
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by sexymoma(f): 12:47pm On Oct 06, 2016
Think of your kids future darling
you are gonna confuse dem
which way to go...
you gonna tell dem about Christ, he s gonna tell dem he doesn't bliv in Christ
Forget love ooo... E dey fade in marriage
and besides you guys jos started, everything will still be new.
u better decide before it's too late.

I'll Advise you..Marriage where God nor dey involve na yagayaga e dey be oo
don't get me wrong, i mean your Marriage will jos be there.
There will be sometimes when you can't face the battle alone abi you think say marriage dey sweet forever ni
There'll be need for both of you to call on God, How are you gonna cope.
Pls tell me.
Think about it sis... you said he s sweet, caring and all that.. im not saying he s pretending ooo
buh hope you remember satan was an angel too... as a matter of fact, history made it known to us that he has the sweetest voice among angels.... Just think about it, Look into the future and imagine it, Him, You and your kids

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by SpicyJosBabe(f): 12:47pm On Oct 06, 2016
Nigayoyo:
my sister, religion should have nothing to do with your love life because from the beginning it was not so BUT along the line as our brain evolved we thought there would be a shitty a.ss flying monster in the sky. Please love him for the content of his character and not for his belief or disbelief in a sky daddy.

What do u mean by a sky daddy? Seems like you are an atheist too?
If i accept him peradventure, what of my family? They may not, especially my mother. If we are to get married, the wedding will obviously not be done in a church or by a pastor, which is against my belief. What if he insists that our children must be atheists? These are issues that will be there.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by tukdi: 12:48pm On Oct 06, 2016
lipsrsealed My dear sister, please run for your life!

He can only manage you for a short while because the relationship is still fresh, later on, he will definitely show you his true colours!

Sister don't forget that his atheist friends will be coming to visit him in the house ie: You will be surrounded by atheists.

Your children might be atheist aswell because they might lack the fear of God! You will be the only person saddled with the responsibilty of training them in the ways of the Lord!

So because of marriage and money, you want to marry an atheist? lipsrsealed

Please once again, flee from that man!!! cool

4 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by SpicyJosBabe(f): 12:53pm On Oct 06, 2016
hahn:

Ok, but i tot some atheists claim that they believe in themselves and their belief is in themselves. Or is that different from atheism?
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by genieluv(f): 12:59pm On Oct 06, 2016
OMG, i feel so sorry for you dear. It must be very hard.
All i will advice you is that if you feel your love for him and his love for you can conquer any challenge you guys will face in the future, then you can continue with him.

But if you know u are the type that doesn't like challenges, confrontations and issues, then pls dump him and his atheist ass ASAP. It will not be easy but believe that you can find another man who will be better than him and would share your religious belief too.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 06, 2016
He is the most wonderful guy i have met in my life, he has all the qualities i want in a man --- Na wah o undecided , he's Jazz is strong on you.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by IamLEGEND1: 1:06pm On Oct 06, 2016
Danger be staring you straight in the face and you're still contemplating if you should run or stay.

matters of the heart my foot. that burning, butterflies-in-your-stomach love fades eventually and what's gonna be left is a deep mutual understanding which can only stem from having common core values. forget all that 'opposites attract' bullshìt.....that is true only on a superficial level.when you are at clear odds with your partner on matters critical to your lifestyle, you're headed for doom,no way around that.
Your religion is important to you,stick with it or drop it and jump into his bed.
Na when una marry ur eyes go komot wella.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 06, 2016
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley...you've said it all.
HungerBAD:

Who is Christian?I am sure there are more Atheist who do more good,than those that claim to be Christians.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Newbeginnings(m): 1:09pm On Oct 06, 2016
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by SpicyJosBabe(f): 1:11pm On Oct 06, 2016
sexymoma:
Think of your kids future darling
you are gonna confuse dem
which way to go...
you gonna tell dem about Christ, he s gonna tell dem he doesn't bliv in Christ
Forget love ooo... E dey fade in marriage
and besides you guys jos started, everything will still be new.
u better decide before it's too late.

I'll Advise you..Marriage where God nor dey involve na yagayaga e dey be oo
don't get me wrong, i mean your Marriage will jos be there.
There will be sometimes when you can't face the battle alone abi you think say marriage dey sweet forever ni
There'll be need for both of you to call on God, How are you gonna cope.
Pls tell me.
Think about it sis... you said he s sweet, caring and all that.. im not saying he s pretending ooo
buh hope you remember satan was an angel too... as a matter of fact, history made it known to us that he has the sweetest voice among angels.... Just think about it, Look into the future and imagine it, Him, You and your kids

I think you are right. I just wish i knew all this earlier before going deep into this relationship. I will really need a long time to recover from this.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by sexymoma(f): 1:15pm On Oct 06, 2016
SpicyJosBabe:

I think you are right. I just wish i knew all this earlier before going deep into this relationship. I will really need a long time to recover from this.
A broken relationship is far far far far better than a broken marriage walai talai.... my sister forget the guy as in forget the guy... keep yourself happy, nobody owns your heart, you do, so control it.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by SpicyJosBabe(f): 1:20pm On Oct 06, 2016
tukdi:
lipsrsealed My dear sister, please run for your life!

He can only manage you for a short while because the relationship is still fresh, later on, he will definitely show you his true colours!

Sister don't forget that his atheist friends will be coming to visit him in the house ie: You will be surrounded by atheists.

Your children might be atheist aswell because they might lack the fear of God! You will be the only person saddled with the responsibilty of training them in the ways of the Lord!

So because of marriage and money, you want to marry an atheist? lipsrsealed

Please once again, flee from that man!!! cool

@your 2nd to last paragraph, i did not love him because of money. I am a graduate and i have a thriving business which fetches me my own income. He is richer than me, but i did not fall for him because of money but his good looks, character and intelligence.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by genieluv(f): 1:24pm On Oct 06, 2016
IamLEGEND1:
Danger be staring you straight in the face and you're still contemplating if you should run or stay.

matters of the heart my foot. that burning, butterflies-in-your-stomach love fades eventually and what's gonna be left is a deep mutual understanding which can only stem from having common core values. forget all that 'opposites attract' bullshìt.....that is true only on a superficial level.when you are at clear odds with your partner on matters critical to your lifestyle, you're headed for doom,no way around that.
Your religion is important to you,stick with it or drop it and jump into his bed.
Na when una marry ur eyes go komot wella.

Hmm, is it just me or am i surprised to see you not trolling on OP's thread this time around. I guess her emotional state made you easier. But still your words were quite harsh on her.
If you've been in her shoes, you will know it's not so easy.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by taurus25(m): 1:27pm On Oct 06, 2016
Newbeginnings:
Don't Marry him... A man who doesn't believe in the beings that have performed great miracles everywhere, will not see anything wrong or anyone to answer to when he maltreats you.

He doesn't believe in God, he doesn't believe in you.
do you have a brain?
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 06, 2016
madam spicyjosbabe sexymomma has said it all..i"ll advice u stick to what she said!!
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by IamLEGEND1: 1:36pm On Oct 06, 2016
genieluv:

Hmm, is it just me or am i surprised to see you not trolling on OP's thread this time around. I guess her emotional state made you easier. But still your words were quite harsh on her.
If you've been in her shoes, you will know it's not so easy.
like I have said repeatedly in the past....
Just because my opinions don't usually sit well with you doesn't mean I'm being a troll.
and you think her emotional state makes any difference? I don't even know her.
E-empathy is not my thing.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Ayo199(m): 1:36pm On Oct 06, 2016
If u marry him,am sure sooner or later u too will become an atheist..if u won't be too desperate,God will give u someone that will match u perfectly..
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by firstking01(m): 1:39pm On Oct 06, 2016
Why would a flesh and blood not believe in God?, @times it beats my imagination why somebody will just decide that he will not believe in one who lendest him breath...like he fell from planet mars, mercury or pluto??...no wonder the bible said that the foolish man had said in his heart that there's no God...unknown to him it's God who have been helping him and giving him grace to achieve whatever he has acquired in life...i pity such fellow...

Op, my advice, how and where you end your life on the last day should be of paramount importance to you...if i can deduce from what you posted upthere, there's this love somewhere inside your heart for God, don't trade it for anything not even the guy in question...if he cannot follow you to church let him bafuka jare.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by finally1(m): 1:39pm On Oct 06, 2016
nonsense absolute nonsense... my sister he is your man hold him tight,

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by favoureyo: 1:43pm On Oct 06, 2016
2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers ...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Symptoms Of Vaginal Yeast Infection And Possible Remedy / World’s Biggest Penis” Owner Says He Envies Other Men Who’re Not Well-endowed / A Thread For Virgins.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.