Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused (9017 Views)

She Doesn't Want To Date Me Because I'm An Atheist / I Want To Break Up With Her But I'm Confused. / I'm Confused On Who To Choose, Help Me Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by sorextee(m): 1:45pm On Oct 06, 2016
This matter strong o. My advice though...
Free the guy.. As someone said in the other page, it will affect ur kids.. Except if u become an atheist too like him, then u guys will all reason in one direction..
Just ordonary xtian-muslim marriage get him own issues(im a product of one)

Its gonna be worse, wen its xtian-atheist..

A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE..
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by finally1(m): 1:45pm On Oct 06, 2016
Newbeginnings:
Don't Marry him... A man who doesn't believe in the beings that have performed great miracles everywhere, will not see anything wrong or anyone to answer to when he maltreats you.

He doesn't believe in God, he doesn't believe in you.
you are nt alright bro

3 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by firstking01(m): 1:49pm On Oct 06, 2016
SpicyJosBabe:

What do u mean by a sky daddy? Seems like you are an atheist too?
If i accept him peradventure, what of my family? They may not, especially my mother. If we are to get married, the wedding will obviously not be done in a church or by a pastor, which is against my belief. What if he insists that our children must be atheists? These are issues that will be there.
Let him go look for an atheist and marry...everytime an atheist wants to marry a christian sister, abi dem no get atheist sister for that their gathering niundecided??....nobody is neutral in life, it's either you are serving mamon or serving God....also, self righteousness can never take you to heaven cos i see people type here that some atheist have good character than a christian, this is fallacy in the higher oder of enthropy system...let him goan marry from his believe, it's as simple as that.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by sorextee(m): 2:01pm On Oct 06, 2016
I know say I no too sabi BIBLE like dat. But can u pls shed more light at BOLDED, cos I bliv a man will be judged according to his works.. I also bliv religion as a whole shld be more about humanity, not some fake pastors/imams defrauding members...

firstking01:
Let him go look for an atheist and marry...everytime an atheist wants to marry a christian sister, abi dem no get atheist sister for that their gathering niundecided??....nobody is neutral in life, it's either you are serving mamon or serving God....also, [b]self righteousness can never take you to heaven cos i see people type here that some atheist have good character than a christian,[/b]this is fallacy in the higher oder of enthropy system...let him goan marry from his believe, it's as simple as that.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 06, 2016
SpicyJosBabe:

What do u mean by a sky daddy? Seems like you are an atheist too?
If i accept him peradventure, what of my family? They may not, especially my mother. If we are to get married, the wedding will obviously not be done in a church or by a pastor, which is against my belief. What if he insists that our children must be atheists? These are issues that will be there.

Yes I'm an atheist and you do not have to tell your family he's an atheist, rather tell them he's the best man you've ever met....Of course the marriage will take place in a church because I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind.

Now, children are the most delicate issue here. For instance, once my kids reach age 5 or 6 I will buy them story books on Jesus, Prophet Mohammed, different myths of creation, children's books on Buddhism, Hinduism, and Zeus. The reason is to free them from the shackles of dogma and not indoctrinate them into any organized religion.

I and my wife will let our children understand our belief system and why we are convinced. There will be no trying to force them into our 'religious' inclination. Make your children inquisitive, don't make them to just stick with traditions, that's very detrimental.
My dad is still a pastor in Nigeria and he still does evangelism in villages but he knows I'm an atheist!

I wish I could explain more..enjoy your life.

10 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Dantee005(m): 2:08pm On Oct 06, 2016
HungerBAD:
Leave religion out of the matter of the heart.

It is his right to believe in whatever he believes in,and as long as those beliefs do not harm you,or him even forcing you to be an atheist,then follow your heart.

Who is Christian?I am sure there are more Atheist who do more good,than those that claim to be Christians.

If marriage is your intention,then you guys should have a talk on how you guys wants the kids raised.

There are Atheists here married to Christian women,and I think they have a good marriage.

Hahn come here,shebi your madam na Christian?

u can neva leave religion out of love cus one day it will cause problems....darkness exists in behind or in front of light..bt darkness and light cannot exist in this vicinity....imagine a Chorister dating a native doctor...? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Nowenuse: 2:10pm On Oct 06, 2016
Hmm this matter strong oo.

I think lalasticlala should come and see what Seun and all these atheists here have caused. Seems like they are gaining converts by the day.
Atheism must not grow in Nigeria o. See the kind issue wey e don dey cause.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by firstking01(m): 2:11pm On Oct 06, 2016
sorextee:
I know say I no too sabi BIBLE like dat. But can u pls shed more light at BOLDED, cos I bliv a man will be judged according to his works.. I also bliv religion as a whole shld be more about humanity, not some fake pastors/imams defrauding members...

I dint see any bolded here but you can still drop your question here and i 'll answer you.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Dantee005(m): 2:14pm On Oct 06, 2016
Nigayoyo:
my sister, religion should have nothing to do with your love life because from the beginning it was not so BUT along the line as our brain evolved we thought there would be a shitty a.ss flying monster in the sky. Please love him for the content of his character and not for his belief or disbelief in a sky daddy.
Bro there's a supreme being up there watching even if u dnt think of him as God...Even the freemason's and rosicruicians know dis...
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by tee4naija(m): 2:23pm On Oct 06, 2016
sexymoma:
Think of your kids future darling
you are gonna confuse dem
which way to go...
you gonna tell dem about Christ, he s gonna tell dem he doesn't bliv in Christ
Forget love ooo... E dey fade in marriage
and besides you guys jos started, everything will still be new.
u better decide before it's too late.

I'll Advise you..Marriage where God nor dey involve na yagayaga e dey be oo
don't get me wrong, i mean your Marriage will jos be there.
There will be sometimes when you can't face the battle alone abi you think say marriage dey sweet forever ni
There'll be need for both of you to call on God, How are you gonna cope.
Pls tell me.
Think about it sis... you said he s sweet, caring and all that.. im not saying he s pretending ooo
buh hope you remember satan was an angel too... as a matter of fact, history made it known to us that he has the sweetest voice among angels.... Just think about it, Look into the future and imagine it, Him, You and your kids

U don't have to discourage her from marrying the one she loves. Love conquereth all obstacles. I am a Muslim ( though not a fanatical one) married to a Christian and we are both happy with 2 beautiful kids- a boy and a girl. What matters is accepting each other for who they are. My in laws only grudgingly gave their consent when they discovered their daughter had made up her mind but today they openly confess I am their best son in law.

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Seun(m): 2:27pm On Oct 06, 2016
The most wonderful man you have met in the world is an atheist. That's great! You should convert to atheism so you can be equally wonderful.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by finally1(m): 2:36pm On Oct 06, 2016
Seun:
The most wonderful man you have met in the world is an atheist. That's great! You should convert to atheism so you can be equally wonderful.
nice shot there seun osewa√

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by sexymoma(f): 2:47pm On Oct 06, 2016
[quote author=tee4naija post=49968584][/quote]@ op lets use this man as sample wink
bros nor vex oo when your kids grow up.. will you allow them to practise your wife's religion or yours?
lets start from there wink
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by sexymoma(f): 2:48pm On Oct 06, 2016
[quote author=tee4naija post=49968584][/quote]@ op lets use him as sample wink
bros nor vex oo when your kids grow up.. will you allow them to practise your wife's religion or yours?
lets start from there wink
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by SpicyJosBabe(f): 2:49pm On Oct 06, 2016
Nigayoyo:

Yes I'm an atheist and you do not have to tell your family he's an atheist, rather tell them he's the best man you've ever met....Of course the marriage will take place in a church because I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind.

Now, children are the most delicate issue here. For instance, once my kids reach age 5 or 6 I will buy them story books on Jesus, Prophet Mohammed, different myths of creation, children's books on Buddhism, Hinduism, and Zeus. The reason is to free them from the shackles of dogma and not indoctrinate them into any organized religion.

I and my wife will let our children understand our belief system and why we are convinced. There will be no trying to force them into our 'religious' inclination. Make your children inquisitive, don't make them to just stick with traditions, that's very detrimental.
My dad is still a pastor in Nigeria and he still does evangelism in villages but he knows I'm an atheist!

I wish I could explain more..enjoy your life.

Ok, but like you said, the children part is the part i don't think i can cope with, i could cope with every other thing. I cannot imagine my future kids as strong atheists who will disregard all that i have to offer as a mother.

Is your wife an atheist too? And a Nigerian? I've never heard of female atheists in Nigeria.

And you really did not understand my first question, i did not say i was going to tell my mother that he is an atheist, but my mother will surely engage him in a personal conversation if i take him to her and religious questions are inevitable. What will he say if she starts asking him the name of his church, denoination, fellowship, Pastors e.t.c? If he lies, and she later finds out, it would all be directed to me and i will not be able to withstand the pain and dissapointment my mother will feel and show towards me. And if he tells her the truth, she may not bless or approve the marriage.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by SpicyJosBabe(f): 2:56pm On Oct 06, 2016
Seun:

That i think would be practically impossible. I have already had the conviction of Jesus as the saviour of the whole world and salvation for mankind.

Men may act good towards women before marriage but after marriage they change. I think there are good and bad people in every belief, atheism notwithstanding.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Acidosis(m): 3:03pm On Oct 06, 2016
Seun:

The richest man in Ota is a Christian. That's great! You should covert to Christianity so you can be equally rich. How about that?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by MasterofNL: 3:08pm On Oct 06, 2016
HungerBAD:
[s]Leave religion out of the matters of the heart.

It is his right to believe in whatever he believes in,and as long as those beliefs do not harm you,or him even forcing you to be an atheist,then follow your heart.

Who is Christian?I am sure there are more Atheist who do more good,than those that claim to be Christians.

If marriage is your intention,then you guys should have a talk on how you guys wants the kids raised.

There are Atheists here married to Christian women,and I think they have a good marriage.

Hahn come here,shebi your madam na Christian?

[/s]

Please go to hell alone and stop trying to drag others along with you!
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by IamLEGEND1: 3:08pm On Oct 06, 2016
Seun:
You be chairman but you dey spit jargon on the regular these days.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by MasterofNL: 3:10pm On Oct 06, 2016
SpicyJosBabe:
It started many weeks back i met this guy at an event, we exchanged numbers and since then we have been very close. We have gone out on dates together and i must confess that my love for this guy has grown so much that hardly a day goes by that i don't think of him and the same thing on his own path towards me.

I got the shock of my life 3 days ago when i was with this guy and somehow our conversation veered towards religious issues seriously for the first time and he told me plainly that he does not believe in God, i taught he was joking at first until i confronted him and he told me that he is an Atheist and nothing i can do to make him change his belief, that i either accept him for who he is or nothing else.
He said he can accept me for my religion and if our relationship leads to marriage, i can maintain my belief and he maintains his own.

I was born a christian and from a strict religious home and i still maintain christian values on my own even though i may not be so much religiously strict.
I blame myself though for not noticing this about him earlier, because initially i slighlty noticed that whenever i make religious exclamations, he acts uneasy and always changes the topic whenever i tilt towards religious discussions. We are in the same profession so most times our discussions are in that direction.

I left his place since that day and we have not spoken since then, but this guy's thoughts cannot leave my heart. He is the most wonderful guy i have met in my life, he has all the qualities i want in a man (except for religion), and my heart cannot just let go.
Pls, what should i do? I have never been so confused b4.

Please listen to me,

I tell you the truth from the bottom of my heart.

Don't marry that guy; don't marry an atheist for any reason at all.

Use your head on this one and forget about whatever love you think you both share.

If you marry an atheist, yoh will live to regret it.

Selah.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by jaymejate: 3:21pm On Oct 06, 2016
Seun:

Seriously? undecided
She was brought up in a Christian home, strictly Christian. It's very odd to tell her to convert to atheism. The best you can say is she should try not to be too religious.
Being an atheist doesn't make someone wonderful, not being too religious is what makes someone wonderful and the Christianity that i know is not about being religious.
#peace

SpicyJosBabe

My advice is, think about the future. A man that doesn't believe in God is not a man worthy of following. You're going into the "deep pit". That man cannot believe Divorce is a Sin, he cannot believe adultery is a sin, he cannot so many unholy tin to be a sin.

#beware o ye children of light.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by sorextee(m): 3:22pm On Oct 06, 2016
Wherr you said self righteousness cannot.....

firstking01:
I dint see any bolded here but you can still drop your question here and i 'll answer you.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by NOBODYY: 3:28pm On Oct 06, 2016
Seun:
[s]The most wonderful man you have met in the world is an atheist. That's great! You should convert to atheism so you can be equally wonderful.[/s]
for your mind you make sense so?
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Chigold101(m): 3:29pm On Oct 06, 2016
hahn:

Atheism is not belief, it is the lack of belief in any deity or supreme being. Why is that so hard to understand? undecided
Atheism is a belief. Atheists dont believe what religious people believe. Lack of belief in a deity or supreme being simple means “belief in no deity of supreme being.“ there is no man without belief. So forget that ur quote of confusion.

Now for u, my confused lady: my advise is simple. Run away. You know why?
1: Love fades after some days in marriage and at that time, other things carry the marriage along.
2: Will you be praying at home after marriage? If you will. How will you handle his atheist friends when they come around and make comments that are bad to your belief or your friends make comments against his belief; how will he take it and for how long?
3: your children, in which way will they be brought up? Your way or his way or no way at all?
4: Who comes to the naming of your children? Ifa, alfa, christian priest or atheist priest (lolzzzz)?
5: This is Africa. On the day of your traditional marriage, will he submit himself for prayers according your tradition or christian religion? How will he react when your parents wants to pray for you and your husband?

Finally be wise.
Love is shacking you now becarefull lest it turns into a nightmare.
The DEVIL was such a WONDERFUL man to Eve. But at the end of the whole thing. It was blames and regrets all around.

Wake up Dear.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by BlackMbakara1(m): 3:44pm On Oct 06, 2016
The sooner you realise some parts will be missing as nothing can be perfect, the better. For me i'll say stick to the relationship as far as he's not encroaching into your space and respects your view.

Who knows if you'll be the one to convert him? Though i doubt that...

Most people go to church and profess the religion because other people do not because they know why they should or not.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Seun(m): 3:48pm On Oct 06, 2016
SpicyJosBabe:
That i think would be practically impossible. I have already had the conviction of Jesus as the saviour of the whole world and salvation for mankind.
Me too! Many atheists are not just former devout Christians, but former pastors. Dan Barker is an example; he met his wife on Oprah in 1984:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_t17c7Zkts

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 06, 2016
sexymoma:
Think of your kids future darling
you are gonna confuse dem
which way to go...
you gonna tell dem about Christ, he s gonna tell dem he doesn't bliv in Christ
Forget love ooo... E dey fade in marriage
and besides you guys jos started, everything will still be new.
u better decide before it's too late.

I'll Advise you..Marriage where God nor dey involve na yagayaga e dey be oo
don't get me wrong, i mean your Marriage will jos be there.
There will be sometimes when you can't face the battle alone abi you think say marriage dey sweet forever ni
There'll be need for both of you to call on God, How are you gonna cope.
Pls tell me.
Think about it sis... you said he s sweet, caring and all that.. im not saying he s pretending ooo
buh hope you remember satan was an angel too... as a matter of fact, history made it known to us that he has the sweetest voice among angels.... Just think about it, Look into the future and imagine it, Him, You and your kids

you guys think u know something but you know nothing ,pastor chris and his wife werent they christians ,shey dem no divorce ,
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by firstking01(m): 3:54pm On Oct 06, 2016
sorextee:
Wherr you said self righteousness cannot.....

Self righteousness is when you believe that your "good works/deeds" on earth ordinarilly can take you to heaven(james 2 vs 14-26, you must apply faith in your works/deeds)...it's supposed to be a long piece but no-time...

Now, the good works here are...

1.You think you can just relate normally with people without either preaching the gospel, praying/fasting/going to church and involving yourself in any church role call

2.You think as far as you can wake up safe and sound in the morning, maybe greet your neighbours, go to work and comeback and everything is moving fine that you are not under any obligation to either give to ceasar what's his and to GOD what's GOD's, lies from the pit of hell...this is where the atheist comes in

3. You assume and believe that all you 've acquired so-far in life is by your strength and self ability, for by strength shall no man prevail, 1st samuel 2 vs 9...

Just meditate on this ones first, if you ain't satisfied, qoute me.
Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Nobody: 3:58pm On Oct 06, 2016
my father was not even a christian when he married my mom and this year is their 30 th aniversary so whats the big deal in you @op ,if you love him you will take him for who he is just the same way he took you for who you are ,why are you a christian? have you read about your religion before,if the nigga where a son of dangote and a muslim won't you forget your religion and marry him ,what about if he was the son of bill gates an atheist will you say no? ,infact you wont waste your time typing all this long story here
cc: SpicyJosBabe

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:02pm On Oct 06, 2016
Acidosis:

The richest man in Ota is a Christian. That's great! You should covert to Christianity so you can be equally rich. How about that?

Very clever response . Seun how far na grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by Earth2Metahuman: 4:05pm On Oct 06, 2016
Please rUn away as fast as you can.

Go and look for another Jewish God worshipping mor0n that only worship with mouth and Sundays.

Stop disturbing the Internet with meaningless question ...

4 Likes

Re: Should I Continue My Relationship With An Atheist? I'm Confused by exceltech: 4:13pm On Oct 06, 2016
firstking01:
Let him go look for an atheist and marry...everytime an atheist wants to marry a christian sister, abi dem no get atheist sister for that their gathering niundecided??....nobody is neutral in life, it's either you are serving mamon or serving God....also, self righteousness can never take you to heaven cos i see people type here that some atheist have good character than a christian, this is fallacy in the higher oder of enthropy system...let him goan marry from his believe, it's as simple as that.

As a human ,how are you better than an atheist ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lol Funny Game / A Thread For Virgins. / World’s Biggest Penis” Owner Says He Envies Other Men Who’re Not Well-endowed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.