Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,973 members, 7,821,407 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? (4875 Views)

Please Why Do Some Ladies Take Guys Not So Seriously / My Fiancee Asked Me To Sleep With His Friend Then Accused Me Of Infidelity / His Wife's Vagina/Vulva Is Wet And Enlarged; He Suspects Infidelity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by Seun(m): 6:53pm On May 29, 2005
Hello,

Why is it that when someone's husband, wife, fiance, fiancee, boyfriend or girlfriend indulges in sex with someone else, the person becomes very angry? Why is it such a big deal?

Here are some factors that came to my mind:
[list][li]Your wife/girlfriend/fiancee could get pregnant for the other person and give birth to a child that is not yours. Note: DNA analysis can be used to determine the paternity of a child.[/li]
[li]Your husband/boyfriend/fiance could father the other woman's child and consume resources that would have been used to take care of the your own children. Once again, we observe that such pregnancies can be prevented using various methods.[/li]
[li]Your partner could contact STDs or the HIV virus and pass them on to you.[/li]
[li]Your partner may spend a significant amount of money on the other person, therefore 'shortening your ration' (I guess this applies more to unfaithful men ...)[li][li]You feel bad because the infidelity implies that your partner is not satisfied with your 'performance'[/li][/list]

Ok, that's all I can think of. It sure seems as if the above 'disadvantages' of sexual infidelity are just too weak ccompared to the indignation that people display when they discover that their partner has been cheating on them ...
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by Nobody: 4:27am On May 30, 2005
I think its all primitive. Some women don't like to share their men. Funny as it may seem, some babes consider their guys to be their property and when he strays, its an insult to them smiley.
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by Seun(m): 10:44am On May 30, 2005
Ezinne, are you saying you like to share your men?
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by Nobody: 1:27pm On May 30, 2005
smiley hardly! I'm simple saying what most people i know do, Its relevant to the topic. I for one don't place that much importance on guys. They seem to cause way to much hassle wherever they are.
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by jummy79(f): 2:27pm On May 30, 2005
Just curious, seun. What are your thoughts on infidelity? Do they differ if it is the woman being unfaithful or the man?

I think people take infidelity seriously because when you decide to date someone exclusively or marry them, you are taking a vow before God (usually) promising to be faithful to that one person, through sickness and in health, until death do you part. So it hurts and damages the foundation that you have built your marriage/relationship on when one person in the partnership breaks those vows.

I take infidelity very seriously and even if I had children I would not let that prevent me from ending/leaving the marriage if I thought that it was something he entered into knowingly (and how could it not be?).
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by jogego(m): 2:34pm On May 30, 2005
Permit me to contribute my 2 cents worth smiley

Me thinks it stems from the primitive age of man. Men and women being the animals we are would do anything to protect our territory, and any other person coming on to your partner is deemed to be infringing on your territorial rights.

That is why men feel so gutted when a partner cheats. The world actually allows/condones a man cheating but frowns on a woman doing same.
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by jummy79(f): 2:43pm On May 30, 2005
jogego:

Permit me to contribute my 2 cents worth smiley

Me thinks it stems from the primitive age of man. Men and women being the animals we are would do anything to protect our territory, and any other person coming on to your partner is deemed to be infringing on your territorial rights.

That is why men feel so gutted when a partner cheats. The world actually allows/condones a man cheating but frowns on a woman doing same.

Women feel the same! You're correct that it might be more "condoned" if a guy does the cheating but don't let that make you believe that women don't feel just as destroyed when their man cheats!
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by Seun(m): 5:24pm On May 30, 2005
What pains me about romance discussion is that we just don't have the answers. Regardless of what we say here most peope will continue their cheating and the others will still be feeling hurt whenever they are cheated on.

How can we make a difference? sad
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by jummy79(f): 3:38am On May 31, 2005
seun:
How can we make a difference?   sad

It's simple. Those who wish to make a difference simply have to live lives that reflect honesty and fidelity rather than infidelity.
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by elvis143: 4:34am On May 31, 2005
my people, if men were God, what will they do? shocked kiss
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by matrix(m): 12:58pm On Jun 22, 2005
The fact that your partner can bond with someone else sexually is a very serious issue. However some people can forgive it and some people can not.. But the act remains that the act of infidelity remains a grave offence whether u are caught or not , or whether u are forgiven or not...
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by shockreaction(m): 1:56pm On Jun 22, 2005
In response to your question (as a true Nigerian who answers questions with questions tongue):
What is the essence of love?

Love is a feeling that you have for someone where you wouldn't want to hold anything against that person. When someone accuses that person (and rightfully, sometimes), you would argue and say everything to defend that person. When the person hurts you (several times even), you will easily forgive the person (each time) because of the feeling you have for that person. You will not want to say or do anything to hurt that person.

Of course, this is quite difficult to comprehend and may be considered foolish, but hey, that's the point of love.
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by Kenya(f): 6:39pm On Jun 26, 2005
This is a serious matter because there is more than hurt feelings to be considerate of.

One of the most important factors for me is disease. No one wants AIDS, H.I.V. or any infection. People's lives are at stake. The person you're cheating with could be wacky and try to hurt your partner or anything. Who would it feel to be the cause of something like that from making a senseless act that you could have been honest about.

Why not be honest? If you are interested in someone else for whatever reason then let it be know. As much as people say that they rather not know if their partner is cheating,,,, I believe most people respect honesty. It doesn't change the fact of cheating but at least you are aware and have the choice of deciding if it's something you're OK with.

The reality is that people are going to do whatever it is thatthey want to do and there is nothing that can be done about it. Honesty is the best policy.

That's my take
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by matrix(m): 9:39am On Jul 04, 2005
Infifedility is the same as cheating..Cheating is a negative word. I don't know anyone who likes to be cheated
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by rashman(m): 5:14pm On Jan 16, 2007
its so unfortunate.That there is no more faithfulness in relationships.
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by Seun(m): 6:55pm On Jan 16, 2007
What if we all simply stop expecting sexual monogamy, and operate open relationships instead?
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by ima1(f): 8:36pm On Jan 16, 2007
Because when you take vows you are making a promise, it doesn't say love me and sleep with other women. so if you make such an important promise especially about our life and not fulfil it then, i have the right to get pissed off. and also when you enter into a relationship with someone, the idea will be to forsake all others and i am the woman for you, so why tell me you love me and bang someone else, it just isn't right. you are supposed to be faithful to the one you choose to be with.

i think we take it seriously bcoz its a promise made by both partners knowingly, and i wouldn't want to get some kinda disease because you couldn't keep it in your pant.
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by caffinehi(m): 2:09am On Jan 17, 2007
WTF seun. A biological argument for why it's okay to cheat now that we have contraceptives? It's not okay to cheat because most people in a relationship are under the impression that the relationship is monagamous, and it makes those people unhappy to have their trust exploited. If you are up front with a woman, and she says you can cheat, then it is not wrong. Swingers do it all the time, and they don't mind.

Dude, never get married, and for God's sake, never have children. It just wouldn't be fair to them. It's not like you would invest time in ensuring a better future for them. You'd be too busy finding other ho's to impregnate.
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by warisogeophysics(f): 8:56am On Sep 21, 2016
Seun:
Hello,

Why is it that when someone's husband, wife, fiance, fiancee, boyfriend or girlfriend indulges in sex with someone else, the person becomes very angry? Why is it such a big deal?

[list][li]Your wife/girlfriend/fiancee could get pregnant for the other person and give birth to a child that is not yours. Note: DNA analysis can be used to determine the paternity of a child.[/li]
[li]Your husband/boyfriend/fiance could father the other woman's child and consume resources that would have been used to take care of the your own children. Once again, we observe that such pregnancies can be prevented using various methods.[/li]
[li]Your partner could contact STDs or the HIV virus and pass them on to you.[/li]
[li]Your partner may spend a significant amount of money on the other person, therefore 'shortening your ration' (I guess this applies more to unfaithful men ...)[li][li]You feel bad because the infidelity implies that your partner is not satisfied with your 'performance'[/li][/list]

Ok, that's all I can think of. It sure seems as if the above 'disadvantages' of sexual infidelity are just too weak ccompared to the indignation that people display when they discover that their partner has been cheating on them ...
CHEATING IS WRONG! There is no way to water down this statement. Any man who cheats and doesn't want his wife to is just unreasonable and foolish. If u have loyal love u wud live up to ur vows in a relationship . YOU CANT SLAVE FOR 2 MASTERS. . I WUD NEVA CHEAT AND WILL NEVA BE CHEATED ON #loyal love
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by petux(m): 9:48am On Sep 21, 2016
h
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by IamLEGEND1: 9:55am On Sep 21, 2016
Which kyn stupid question be this?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 21, 2016
Seun:
Hello,

Because the people before us have done so. And since everyone is else taking it seriously, it probably is a serious issue. Do they even question the believes as well as habits they've inherited? Certainly not.
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by Laveda(f): 10:11am On Sep 21, 2016
The Nairaland of 2005 was waaay better. grin

Matured responses. embarassed
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by sinaj(f): 10:15am On Sep 21, 2016
2005 shocked shocked

Wow!

Was still carrying lunch box to school then grin
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by joseph1832(m): 10:20am On Sep 21, 2016
Laveda:
The Nairaland of 2005 was waaay better. grin

Matured responses. embarassed
Like you were a member then? grin tongue
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by Laveda(f): 10:24am On Sep 21, 2016
joseph1832:
Like you were a member then? grin tongue

grin but I read posts of 2005.. So it doesn't matter.
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by bamac(m): 10:25am On Sep 21, 2016
Booking space to comment after work. I hate pages beyond 1st
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by Nobody: 10:26am On Sep 21, 2016
2005 thread? undecided undecided
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 21, 2016
sinaj:
2005 shocked shocked

Wow!

Was still carrying lunch box to school then grin
Lunch box? Haba
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by MrWhaley: 10:27am On Sep 21, 2016
Nawa o! Who resurrected this thread naa?? A thread of 2005??
Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by SmellingAnus(m): 10:29am On Sep 21, 2016
In as much as I like the comments of folks of 2005 on this thread, it's imperative to note that Change is permanent... The type of challenges we faced then individually and as a Nation is different from what we are facing now... We have more frustrated persons who use nairaland as a medium to pour out their frustions on other persons... It doesn't mean they are bad persons, it's just their own way of transferring their frustration on others.... Their major problem is how to handle frustration.... From the "Peace maker"...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We All Take Infidelity So Seriously? by SafeDavid(m): 10:38am On Sep 21, 2016
This was before Naitaland got invaded by touts.

Back then, every thread was civil and discussions were based on intellectual contributions.

I miss the Nairaland i joined in 2009.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Relationship Of Three (3) Weeks Just Ended. / How To Identify Loosed Girls / He Washed My Undies Because He Wants Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.