Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,764 members, 7,820,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (805970 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (1073) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 5:17pm On Feb 18, 2018
What's up with the NFF social media handles?? They aren't giving updates at all.. not even on the WAFU cup...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danycrusoe(m): 5:19pm On Feb 18, 2018
we myt just be out of the u17 wwc on away goals 87 minutes and it's 1-1 in cameroon
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by khunz: 5:23pm On Feb 18, 2018
WAFU Cup 2018: Complete Fixtures, Results

WAFU Women's Cup 2018 Fixtures and Results
Results shall be added as they occur.
All kick-off times are in local time (Abidjan, Ivory Coast)
UPDATE: Mali replace Benin who withdrew hours to the tournament.
GROUPS
Group A: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Niger.

Group B: Nigeria, Mali, Senegal, Togo.

Preview: Favourites, dark horses, outsiders: Battle for inagural WAFU Women’s Cup title.

GROUP STAGE
February 14 (Group A)
Ivory Coast 1–0 Ghana [MatchReport]

Burkina Faso 5–1 Niger [Match Report]

February 15 (Group B)
Senegal 6–0 Togo [Match Report]

Nigeria 1–0 Mali [Match Report]

February 16 (Group A)
Ghana 9–0 Niger [Match Report]

Ivory Coast 1–1 Burkina Faso [Match Report]

February 17 (Group B)
Nigeria 3–0 Senegal [Match Report]

Mali 8–0 Togo [Match Report]

February 18 (Group A)
16h00: Ivory Coast v Niger
Treichville Sports Park

16h00: Ghana v Burkina Faso
Treichville Sports Park

February 19 (Group B)
16h00: Nigeria v Togo
Robert Champroux stadium at 16h00

16h00: Mali v Senegal
Sports Park

KNOCKOUTS
Semi-finals: February 22
15h00: Winner Group A v Runners-up Group B
Robert Champroux stadium

18h00: Winners Group B v Runners-up Group A
Robert Champroux Stadium

Final: February 24
Third/Fourth Place
14h30: Loser SF1 v Loser SF2
Stade Felix Houphouet-Boigny

FINAL
16h30: Winner SF1 v Winner SF2
Stade Felix Houphouet-Boigny

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Daejoyoung: 5:30pm On Feb 18, 2018
Late drama in Yanoude, Nigeria had a goal disallowed to the shock of many and even the Cameroonian fans.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Daejoyoung: 5:33pm On Feb 18, 2018
FT Cameroon 1-1 Nigeria
Cameroon qualify on away goals.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 5:34pm On Feb 18, 2018
The Flamingos fail to qualify for the world cup for the first time ever..
but what's up with the late goal that was disallowed though??
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by robosky02(m): 6:01pm On Feb 18, 2018
Daejoyoung:
Late drama in Yanoude, Nigeria had a goal disallowed to the shock of many and even the Cameroonian fans.

why why why
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AIG07: 7:51pm On Feb 18, 2018
Danielnino00:
The Flamingos fail to qualify for the world cup for the first time ever..

but what's up with the late goal that was disallowed though??
This is very saddening.

Was there match coverage? If so, I think NFF should investigate and file a complaint against the ref, if the disallowed goal is legitimate.

We might just be able to pull a replay. Just like the case in the FIFA's men WCQbetween South Africa and Senegal.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 9:26pm On Feb 18, 2018
AIG07:
This is very saddening.

Was there match coverage? If so, I think NFF should investigate and file a complaint against the ref, if the disallowed goal is legitimate.

We might just be able to pull a replay. Just like the case in the FIFA's men WCQbetween South Africa and Senegal.

I don't think there was a media coverage of it...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Daejoyoung: 10:35pm On Feb 18, 2018
AIG07:
This is very saddening.

We can't be sure how legitimate the goal was though until we can watch it.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:57am On Feb 19, 2018
2018 WAFU WOMEN'S CUP: FALCONS' WERE MORE COMPACT THAN SENEGAL - DENNERBY
BY ADELEYE GBENGA FEBRUARY 18th

Super Falcons technical adviser, Thomas Dennerby has described his side 3-0 victory over Senegal as a result of experience and been more compact.

Rasheedat Ajibade's first half hat trick was all the Super Falcons needed to secure a semi final spot at the expense of Senegal at the Sports Park Stadium on Saturday evening.

Dennerby told Goalkick84.com in an exclusive interview that there was still room for improvement and praised his girls performance.

"We did a lot of better things in the first half than our previous game. We defende
d well today (yesterday) which gave us lot of confidence to lunch quick attacks," Dennerby to Goalkick84.com.

"Everyday we practice together, we talk what we want from the players and they understand me day by day. When you change a coach, you also have to give the players few days to understand what they really want from you.

"Our game plan worked for us compared to the first game against Mali where we didn't prepare well and the team was stretched out so we had a lot of situation one on one but today (yesterday) we were more compact as a team.

"We showed discipline and it feels good to win big games like this.

"I think the Senegalese have good players, technical skills but I think we were more fit as a team and very good physical condition," Dennerby to Goalkickk84.com.

When asked how does it feel to have qualified for the semi-final with a game to spare, he replied: "When you come to the knockout stage, you only have one aim, that to win the game.

"How we do it is not important. We have to win the game but we no that when it comes to the semi-final they are two really good teams in the other group so it going to be a tough game for this young team but anything can happen in football," Dennerby maintained.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AIG07: 6:51pm On Feb 19, 2018
Danielnino00:

I don't think there was a media coverage of it...
that's very poor on the part of FIFA, CAF and the two federations...
How do they intend to do post match analysis?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Daejoyoung: 8:09pm On Feb 19, 2018
Nigeria 3 -1 Togo. FT.
Anam lmo, Chinanza Uchendu, Wogu Success.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:14pm On Feb 19, 2018
Okay, we know from yesterday that Group A ended this way:

CIV 7-0 Niger republic

Ghana 4-1 Burkina Faso

CIV topped the group with 7 pts while Ghana finished second on 6 pts.

Today, we get to see who joins Nigeria's Super Falcons B in the semis from group B. Mali vs Senegal is a cracker...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Daejoyoung: 8:16pm On Feb 19, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Okay, we know from yesterday that Group A ended this way:

CIV 7-0 Niger republic

Ghana 4-1 Burkina Faso

CIV topped the group with 7 pts while Ghana finished second on 6 pts.

Today, we get to see who joins Nigeria's Super Falcons B in the semis from group B. Mali vs Senegal is a cracker...
Mali 1 Senegal 0. FT.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:20pm On Feb 19, 2018
Awesome... Seems we tested some others from the bench not given a run in the first two games...

Daejoyoung:
Nigeria 3 -1 Togo. FT.
Anam lmo, Chinanza Uchendu, Wogu Success.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:21pm On Feb 19, 2018
Hmmmmm... Interesting result..... cheesy

Congrats to Mali. They qualify to play the host in the semis.

Daejoyoung:

Mali 1 Senegal 0. FT.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Daejoyoung: 8:24pm On Feb 19, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Awesome... Seems we tested some others from the bench not given a run in the first two games...

Exactly.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 12:19am On Feb 21, 2018
UMOTONG EARNS NIGERIA CALL-UP
9 Hours ago

Brighton & Hove Albion striker Ini Umotong expressed her pride after being called up to the latest Nigeria squad for a friendly tournament in Turkey next week.
Umotong will link up with the Super Falcons for the Turkish Women’s Cup - Alanya 2018, and she was delighted to receive international recognition once again.
She said, “It was a feeling of shock, excitement and anxiousness. I was so excited, as I’ve been waiting for a call-up for a long time and it was really emotional.
“The new coach Thomas Dennerby emailed me, and my heart stopped a bit when I found out that it had all been confirmed.
“My family were very happy and proud once they found out, and I’m so pleased with how it’s all turned out.”
The 23-year-old has one senior cap to date and explained how playing internationally differs to club football.
“I’ve been called up twice before. I have one official cap and I was called up to the Nigeria squad for the World Cup in 2015, but didn’t make any appearances.
“It was definitely the best experience of my career so far and I just turned 21 at the time. I played against Mali in Mali for my debut in February 2015.
“The playing style is completely different, but I loved it as it was really fast-paced and physical. It was a playing style I adapted to and took back to my playing club. I learned so much being around that standard.”
The Albion striker holds dual nationality and is also eligible to play for England, but explained how Nigeria was the more viable option to pursue her international aspirations.
“I was born in Nigeria and I came over to the UK as a one year old, so I have dual nationality and two passports.
“The thought was always there [to play for England]. I was called up to a couple of youth camps at under-15 level, so I always had the possibility to play for England.
“But Nigeria suited my playing style more, as they’re very direct and physical, so it just felt right to play for Nigeria.”

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Daejoyoung: 7:43am On Feb 21, 2018
l never knew we were to play in any Alanya 2018, when is it starting, and do you have information on the fixtures?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 5:11pm On Feb 21, 2018
The NFF have not reacted to the failure of the U17 flamingos from qualifying for Uruguay 2018. Nobody is saying anything. Or do they not know that the match has been played.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Daejoyoung: 5:13pm On Feb 21, 2018
solonnachi:
The NFF have not reacted to the failure of the U17 flamingos from qualifying for Uruguay 2018. Nobody is saying anything. Or do they not know that the match has been played.
lol, the team apologised for failing to qualify and that was all. l don't think the coach has been sacked yet.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 10:21am On Feb 22, 2018
ALANYA 2018: Participating nations confirmed
By JWsports1 - February 22, 201832

This year’s edition set for 26 February to 7 March in Turkey, has attracted 11 nations so far.

This is a big increase from the first edition last year, which drew four teams: Poland, Romania, Turkey and Kosovo.

Nigeria, Mexico and Jordan will be the only non-European nations in this year’s showdown.

Ranked first in Africa and 37th in the world, Nigeria will be the fifth highest-ranked nation in the tournament, behind France (6), Mexico (26), Ukraine (27) and Poland (30).

France, the highest ranked nation in the tournament, will be sending their Team B, though, as their first team will be participating in the 2018 SheBelieves Cup.

All the participating nations are in top 100 worldwide with Kosovo, ranked 97th in the world, coming in as the lowest-ranked nation.

Participating nations

(In brackets: World Ranking)

France B (6)
Mexico (26)
Ukraine (27)
Nigeria (37)
Poland (30)
Romania (39)
Jordan (50)
Northern Ireland (55)
Kazakhstan (67)
Latvia (82)
Kosovo (97)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by olapluto(m): 10:43am On Feb 22, 2018
solonnachi:

The NFF clearly lack sound leadership or organisation to handle a sound youth development system. The worst thing was for the players to apologise. Somehow, they are trying to shift the blame on innocent 17 year olds. The coach, the team managers, NFF and Ayo Omidiran are the people who should be apologising.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:54am On Feb 22, 2018
Washington Spirit Striker Named In Nigeria Squad, Will Not Extend Atletico Madrid Stay

Washington Spirits star Francisca Ordega is set to feature for the Nigeria Women's National Team next week at the Turkish Women’s Cup - Alanya 2018, with new Super Falcons coach Thomas Dennerby handing her a call-up.

Yesterday, Brighton & Hove officially announced that their striker Ini Umotong has also been summoned for the invitational tournament that will hold in Turkey February 26 to March 7.

National Women's Soccer League club Washington Spirit announced via their official website that Ordega has not yet reported to camp as she will be involved in international duty during the upcoming FIFA window.
The 24-year-old's loan spell at Spanish side Atletico Madrid has not been extended and she will join up with her teammates at Washington Spirit on March 8.

She was selected for eight matches in the Spanish Primera División but failed to find the net after 216 minutes of game time.

The Bayelsa Queens and Rivers Angels star has played for Nigeria at the U17, U20 and Women's World Cups, scoring 8 goals in 15 appearances.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel
Photo Credit : washingtonspirit.com

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=26686

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:07pm On Feb 22, 2018
Really great to see the NFF exposing our Super Falcons to friendly tourneys like these and coupled with the upcoming Grade A friendly with France in April, I'd say that Our Super Falcons really got a busy schedule for the next two months at least which is very good.

Well, the NFF should not stop here... we also have the Algarve cup and also the Cyprus women's Cup. This Alanya cup is a start but we need to ready ourselves to make our team enter for more top rated friendly tourneys. I mean we got the credentials as Africa's number 1 team. The Tourney organisers will definuetely welcome the participation of a team from Africa at least especially when it is Africa's number 1.
Even the SheBelieves cup is another. Hopefully, brighter days ahead for the Super Falcons in terms of keeping them busy year after year and not only when we got the AWCON, AllAfrica games or World Cup.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by olapluto(m): 1:29pm On Feb 22, 2018
I dont believe Nigeria will be represented in that friendly tournament in Turkey. NFF is always broke.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 3:08pm On Feb 22, 2018
olapluto:
I dont believe Nigeria will be represented in that friendly tournament in Turkey. NFF is always broke.
It has been confirmed and the Players have been invited..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 5:35pm On Feb 22, 2018
Glad that the SF participation in the Alanya tourney has been confirmed.

Between this month and April, the Super Falcons main team would have played 7 matches. This must be a record number of games within a 2-month period.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Icon4s(m): 6:12pm On Feb 22, 2018
Schemerkhiz:
ALANYA 2018: Participating nations confirmed
By JWsports1 - February 22, 201832

This year’s edition set for 26 February to 7 March in Turkey, has attracted 11 nations so far.

This is a big increase from the first edition last year, which drew four teams: Poland, Romania, Turkey and Kosovo.

Nigeria, Mexico and Jordan will be the only non-European nations in this year’s showdown.

Ranked first in Africa and 37th in the world, Nigeria will be the fifth highest-ranked nation in the tournament, behind France (6), Mexico (26), Ukraine (27) and Poland (30).

France, the highest ranked nation in the tournament, will be sending their Team B, though, as their first team will be participating in the 2018 SheBelieves Cup.

All the participating nations are in top 100 worldwide with Kosovo, ranked 97th in the world, coming in as the lowest-ranked nation.

Participating nations

(In brackets: World Ranking)

France B (6)
Mexico (26)
Ukraine (27)
Nigeria (37)
Poland (30)
Romania (39)
Jordan (50)
Northern Ireland (55)
Kazakhstan (67)
Latvia (82)
Kosovo (97)

Good.

We need our Team A for this. including the outstanding players from the WAFU tournament.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Icon4s(m): 6:18pm On Feb 22, 2018
olapluto:

The NFF clearly lack sound leadership or organisation to handle a sound youth development system. The worst thing was for the players to apologise. Somehow, they are trying to shift the blame on innocent 17 year olds. The coach, the team managers, NFF and Ayo Omidiran are the people who should be apologising.

I raised a red flag when the team first drew 1-1 with Ethiopia in Addis-Ababa. A Nigerian Flamingos or Falconets team should be beating a country like Ethiopia by at least 6-10 goals aggregate margin.

We have never really gotten it right at the U17 level. Never gone beyond the Q/final stage at the WC. This year's performance is the trough of it all.

How come the Falconets always perform better than the Flamingos?

The NFF need to probe into their players selections.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (1073) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.