Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,912 members, 7,866,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 06:07 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (195) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (843339 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) ... (1092) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:28pm On Jun 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

No much talk you say but you went on to drop a half-epistle on why you just dont rate or like Ogbonna.

No one is terming her world class or anything but saying she is entirely terrible is 100% incorrect.

I remember her debut for the Super Falcons back in 2018 at the Wafu Women's Cup. Former coach Thomas Dennerby termed her his most outstanding performer at the tournament. So you want to tell me you know much better than Thomas Dennerby who took her to the 2018 AWCON and won the title?? Really?? I laugh.

See ehn, go back and watch her at the Wafu Women's Cup too and see why Dennerby singled her out for special praise.

Note, I won't start her in my first XI in the presence of better options but she is decent enough and you are wrong in your entire assessment of her. That's for sure.

This pic below is her winning one of the MOTM awards at the Wafu Women's Cup back in 2018.

Una just dey talk down Ogbonna because she no fine like Zogg.... But you go soft on Zogg because she is a beauty. Well done oooo... Bias Utd. grin

I don't care who's fine or Ugly
I'm telling you the Simple truth, she did well in that game doesn't mean she is good, by the way you can't compare WAFU to the AWCON or even this Summer Series
Glory Ogbonna is just opportuned... She should enjoy it while it last..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 6:31pm On Jun 14, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

Osarenoma Igbinovia is currently with Edo Queens FC of Benin alongside the likes of Glory Ogbonna, Choima Wogu, Christy Ohaeriaku....

She Captained her club at the Pre Season tournament (Flying Officers Cup) late last year in Abuja but didn't play this season league games..

She's off for Personal reasons..

Thanks man.

I just want to see her given a chance with the SF, depending on her form.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:32pm On Jun 14, 2021
Let's keep aside whichever affinity we have for this Players, and Speak the truth.

Just watch and see, once a better Left Back Surface, She won't smell call up except injury plays in her favour..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:33pm On Jun 14, 2021
She did well in that whole tournament Schemerkhiz. Not just one game.
She was practically Dennerby's most impressive debutant in that tourney. He even termed her his best performer in the entire Tournament.
She did so well that Dennerby took her to the AWCON in 2018 in Ghana.
She earned her place and you are telling me she got lucky. On this, Schemerkhiz, you are wrong.

She is not the best of players but labelling her as some very useless player is over the top. She is decent and have shown that too aside her wobbles. Plus she is still 22 not so? You guys should give the lass a break jare.

Schemerkhiz:

I don't care who's fine or Ugly
I'm telling you the Simple truth, she did well in that game doesn't mean she is good, by the way you can't compare WAFU to the AWCON or even this Summer Series
Glory Ogbonna is just opportuned... She should enjoy it while it last..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:36pm On Jun 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
She did well in that whole tournament Schemerkhiz. Not just one game.
She was practically Dennerby's most impressive debutant in that tourney. He even termed her his best performer in the entire Tournament.
She did so well that Dennerby took her to the AWCON in 2018 in Ghana.
She earned her place and you are telling me she got lucky. On this, Schemerkhiz, you are wrong.

She is not the best of players but labelling her as some very useless player is over the top. She is decent and have shown that too aside her wobbles. Plus she is still 22 not so? You guys should give the lass a break jare.

I never said she's useless, I simply said she's not at that level of playing for the Superfalcon..

She has been in the team since 2017 and 2018 wasn't her debut..

This Player we're talking about i watch her play live.. not just TV matter oo
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:38pm On Jun 14, 2021
What affinity? You are closer to some of these players. ME, I don't even know Ogbonna personally but I do detest unfair analyses. Zogg was bad at times but you guys kept quiet but Ogbonna did one mistake and we won't hear the last of it. Haba!!!

And ofcos, we seek improvements in all areas. She is not my top pick for LB which is why I miss Ebere Ngozi but I won't be against the coach picking her as she is still young and decent.

Anyway, I remember this is what was said about Jamilu Collins in the Super Eagles set-up and now he has been rightly displaced but still offers cover in that role. So make una chill. We want the best but that doesn't mean Ogbonna is 100% crap. That is an assessment I won't buy or allow to take root.

Schemerkhiz:
Let's keep aside whichever affinity we have for this Players, and Speak the truth.

Just watch and see, once a better Left Back Surface, She won't smell call up except injury plays in her favour..

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:52pm On Jun 14, 2021
2018 Wafu was her debut tournament for the Super Falcons. And Dennerby disagrees with you.

These are Dennerby's words...

"First of all, I think Glory Ogbonna was very good and outstanding in all the five games," Dennerby told Goal.
"Goodness [Onyebuchi] too and in the last game, we saw Amarachi [Okonkwo] and Chinaza [Uchendu] also did great. Over five games, I think the player with the highest standard for us was Ogbonna.

https://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/dennerby-singles-out-outstanding-ogbonna-after-super-falcons/rge6i2xv5lyw1czyart2gd77z

He later included her in the AWCON squad in 2018.

So yes, you watch her live but that doesn't make you immune to biased takes. Also, Dennerby's assessment means Ogbonna has some talent and isn't as totally terrible as you are making her. Lastly, I have my own eye test as well.

Schemerkhiz:

I never said she's useless, I simply said she's not at that level of playing for the Superfalcon..

She has been in the team since 2017 and 2018 wasn't her debut..

This Player we're talking about i watch her play live.. not just TV matter oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 7:00pm On Jun 14, 2021
mostob:
Lol.... answer my question first and leave money matter. grin grin

At least, I have to see wetin I wan buy before I pay.
You never ready na cheesy
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 7:01pm On Jun 14, 2021
isan:
I hope the NFF also kick them out of the 6 nations tournament we invited them for
Which six nation tournament?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 7:07pm On Jun 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
2018 Wafu was her debut tournament for the Super Falcons. And Dennerby disagrees with you.

These are Dennerby's words...

"First of all, I think Glory Ogbonna was very good and outstanding in all the five games," Dennerby told Goal.
"Goodness [Onyebuchi] too and in the last game, we saw Amarachi [Okonkwo] and Chinaza [Uchendu] also did great. Over five games, I think the player with the highest standard for us was Ogbonna.

https://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/dennerby-singles-out-outstanding-ogbonna-after-super-falcons/rge6i2xv5lyw1czyart2gd77z

He later included her in the AWCON squad in 2018.

So yes, you watch her live but that doesn't make you immune to biased takes. Also, Dennerby's assessment means Ogbonna has some talent and isn't as totally terrible as you are making her. Lastly, I have my own eye test as well.

I don't want to judge by one game performance though, try and re watch the Superfalcons game against France in 2017 you would see how she made us conced 3 goals within few minutes of coming in..

She ought to have improved from the range she's right now after so many chances given to her..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:24pm On Jun 14, 2021
I remember the game you refer to and yes, she was quite horrible but like you said already. That's just one game. She has had more good games than bad in the Super Falcons shirt since her debut.

Also talking about improvement, she is still 22. Still young and teachable and definitely has some talent. Time will tell.

I hope even better options come in for the fullback roles and most especially midfield but until then, Ogbonna still has something to give. I won't write her off just yet especially not after Dennerby's Assessment of the lass after five games in a tournament and also seeing as she wasn't bad yesterday.

Schemerkhiz:

I don't want to judge by one game performance though, try and re watch the Superfalcons game against France in 2017 you would see how she made us conced 3 goals within few minutes of coming in..

She ought to have improved from the range she's right now after so many chances given to her..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:25pm On Jun 14, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

She made one mistake abeg. She has serious pace and is a good defender. All that other talk is emotional. If she had made that tackle yesterday it is game on.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:26pm On Jun 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
I remember the game you refer to and yes, she was quite horrible but like you said already. That's just one game. She has had more good games than bad in the Super Falcons shirt since her debut.

Also talking about improvement, she is still 22. Still young and teachable and definitely has some talent. Time will tell.

I hope even better options come in for the fullback roles and most especially midfield but until then, Ogbonna still has something to give. I won't write her off just yet especially not after Dennerby's Assessment of the lass after five games in a tournament and also seeing as she wasn't bad yesterday.

Who was good against France sef

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:46pm On Jun 14, 2021
Now this is a good question.

And to be honest with you, practically nobody. No one. Everyone was zilch finally, that day.

BascoVanVeli:

Who was good against France sef

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:53pm On Jun 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Now this is a good question.

And to be honest with you, practically nobody. No one. Everyone was zilch finally, that day.

U can't have your cake and eat it too. How can we all be in agreement that the team lost because they didn't have a match in over a year but also bash individual players for being poor. It just doesn't make sense

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Clint02(m): 7:56pm On Jun 14, 2021
PDPGuy:

2am on Thursday, Nigerian time
Thanks
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 7:56pm On Jun 14, 2021
Gentleman, please re-read what I wrote - it answers the questions you've repeatedly asked over and over again.
I also used the words 'mediocre' and 'poor' to describe her performance, meaning she was and has been substandard.
My comments have been validated also by someone close to the team with insider intel (who you've also chosen to cross swords with).
We are both entitled to our respective opinions, and I chose to stick with my observations of her, based on her performance over the games in Turkey and Houston. Also, not sure why you seem fixated on Zogg - she is not the subject of debate here.
If you believe you get a better perspective of an overall player or team performance by watching it on TV, then good for you. Others, like myself, would beg to differ.
Lastly, you don't have to be 'old' to be called a veteran. It has everything to do with 'experience' more than 'age' and as stated, she clearly has more experience playing for Nigeria than Zogg, hence the greater scrutiny. If you chose to hang your hat on her performance at a WAFU competition (with the likes of Niger, et.al.), then good for you. My lens (as well as that of most Nigerians) would rather be focused on our SF performance on the World stage with teams that matter and importantly, advocating for the right players that will enable us compete successfully at that level.

TheSuperNerd:
Mister, the total summary of your reports on Ogbonna reeked of bias. Simple. You just don't like her. You didn't even name one good thing Ogbonna did but just labelled her as entirely rubbish.
And as expected you have FAILED to point out one single major error she committed yesterday. All I see is just manufactured talking down of a player. Nothing more. Sometimes you folks forget she is still a young lass. You talk as if she is some veteran.

Now here you are making excuses for Zogg but she was atrocious at times with her passing from the two games. You never mentioned that until I did. For a player based in Europe and exposed to better football facilities and training than what a player like Ogbonna gets back home in Nigeria, I expected her to at least be assured in her passing. Passing is one of the basic skills of football and Zogg sucked a couple of times at it, truth be told.

And Okeke have had games for Madrid CFF in recent times. She played (and started) the last two games for her side beforw the Copa De La Reina final. She was red carded in her last appearance.
And the fact that terming Okeke a sound performer surprises you shows you are either being ignorant of her displays in the GWG or you just haven't watched enough of Okeke in the GWG. So keep being surprised. grin

And abeg save me that weak excuse. You are talking to someone who also has Live Stadium experience. You cannot get a really close view of everything happening on the field depending on where you are sitting in the stadium. Someone watching via gadgets is even more likely to capture more angles to a game and a scenario than you who is restricted to just one view- Yours based on where you sit in the mainbowl. So your talk of being live holds no water. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Clint02(m): 7:57pm On Jun 14, 2021
isan:
I hope the NFF also kick them out of the 6 nations tournament we invited them for
cheesy cheesy You go wicked
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 8:01pm On Jun 14, 2021
Clint02:
cheesy cheesy You go wicked
What six nation tournament?

CC: AkinDS, Schemerkhiz
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:07pm On Jun 14, 2021
Mister. Your takes on Ogbonna were full of bias and funnily ludicrous claims about her footballing ability. Something former Super Falcons Head coach, Dennerby will find ridiculous. I have had my full reading your woeful assessment of Okeke and Ogbonna.

And being in the stadium doesn't give you a better angle on things when analysing different match actions via replays. Even when I am in the stadium, I do make use of my gadgets to have some view takes when the games are available online as well. So being in the stadium means nothing bcoz it is the same game we saw and you are only using bias to guide your assessment. So Thanks but no thanks.

AkinDS:
Gentleman, please re-read what I wrote - it answers the questions you've repeatedly asked over and over again.
I also used the words 'mediocre' and 'poor' to describe her performance, meaning she was and has been substandard.
My comments have been validated also by someone close to the team with insider intel (who you've also chosen to cross swords with).
We are both entitled to our respective opinions, and I chose to stick with my observations of her, based on her performance over the games in Turkey and Houston. Also, not sure why you seem fixated on Zogg - she is not the subject of debate here.
If you believe you get a better perspective of an overall player or team performance by watching it on TV, then good for you. Others, like myself, would beg to differ.
Lastly, you don't have to be 'old' to be called a veteran. It has everything to do with 'experience' more than 'age' and as stated, she clearly has more experience playing for Nigeria than Zogg, hence the greater scrutiny. If you chose to hang your hat on her performance at a WAFU competition (with the likes of Niger, et.al.), then good for you. My lens (as well as that of most Nigerians) would rather be focused on our SF performance on the World stage with teams that matter and importantly, advocating for the right players that will enable us compete successfully at that level.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:11pm On Jun 14, 2021
Very true. And to think Chiamaka Nnadozie was in goal that day we got bashed 8-0 by France makes me laugh even more. I guess they will also use that game and term her Rubbish abi?

And this is true @bolded. Using that game as evidence to bash Ogbonna is totally unfair assessment. If Ogbonna gets bashed for that game, then the whole team deserve same Bashing treatment.

BascoVanVeli:

U can't have your cake and eat it too. How can we all be in agreement that the team lost because they didn't have a match in over a year but also bash individual players for being poor. It just doesn't make sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 8:21pm On Jun 14, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
You never ready na cheesy
grin grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 8:37pm On Jun 14, 2021
I’m not sure whether ussoccer.com or NFF.com will carry Wednesday/Thursday’s match because the game will be broadcast by ESPN2 in the US.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 8:40pm On Jun 14, 2021
Aisha buhari cup taking place in September in lagos
JohnBullMySon:
Which six nation tournament?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 8:42pm On Jun 14, 2021
Aaah they want to open our yansh on national tv
PDPGuy:
I’m not sure whether ussoccer.com or NFF.com will carry Wednesday/Thursday’s match because the game will be broadcast by ESPN2 in the US.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 8:48pm On Jun 14, 2021
isan:
Aisha buhari cup taking place in September in lagos
Okay.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 8:49pm On Jun 14, 2021
PDPGuy:
FOX and ESPN have been broadcasting the previous games featuring the USWNT. Nothing new.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:49pm On Jun 14, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Very true. And to think Chiamaka Nnadozie was in goal that day we got bashed 8-0 by France makes me laugh even more. I guess they will also use that game and term her Rubbish abi?

And this is true @bolded. Using that game as evidence to bash Ogbonna is totally unfair assessment. If Ogbonna gets bashed for that game, then the whole team deserve same Bashing treatment.

I totally agree. To think the poor girl is in this position because she ran over to help cover SMH

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 8:51pm On Jun 14, 2021
isan:
grin grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:59pm On Jun 14, 2021
I think the real problem is playing out of the back. Learning to do that comes with growing pains. They are normally used to clearing the ball on sight. Also it was inexcusable to not invite Christy Ucheibe. Not only is she the best DMF available since Ayinde got injured, she is used to the type of game he is trying to implement. She even knows most of the Portuguese players personally and would have given us a better understanding.

Plus we were tactically off. We should have given them the ball and caught them on the counter attack. Trying to out-posses them backfired. Look how many people were behind the ball on the first goal. I hope we don't try that against USA.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:00pm On Jun 14, 2021
isan:
Then na stadium launch also grin God no go fail us sha grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 9:07pm On Jun 14, 2021
USA always like to make history with nigeria

That is how they beat us black and blue at the Olympics in basketball now they want to use us to open a stadium
BascoVanVeli:

Then na stadium launch also grin God no go fail us sha grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) ... (1092) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: Odogwujayy, Alfryd, lakesidepapa(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.