Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,936 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (386) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (797149 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) (389) ... (1070) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:31pm On Jul 05, 2022
^^
Thanks for the updates

At 33, I don't think Ebi will get to play in another AWCON. It will be better to give younger defenders (such as Catherine Kenneth) a chance in 2018.
Comment above made: Dec.5, 2016 (by a deactivated acct). He's still with us in another moniker form.

An example of how what we think or don't... SOMETIMES just doesn't matter. Lol

Mama is still kicking the leather in 2022. grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:42pm On Jul 05, 2022
Another 2016 flashback.

Just hope we aren't missing her for a tournament as big as this. Always shows up in the AWCON/WAFCON.

At the Aisha Buhari Cup though vs SA, she didn't do much.

Joint 4th all time top scorer (alongside Oshoala) in Wafcon history.

Time will tell if her absence comes back to haunt the Super Falcons.

TheSuperNerd:
<FunFacts from the AWCON>

»»Desire Ugochi Oparanozie has now scored in three different CAF AWCON Finals (1 in 2010, 1 in 2014, and 1 in 2016). Two of her three Goals in the final were match winners (1-0 in 2-0 win vs Cameroun, 2014 AND 1-0 in 1-0 win vs Cameroun, 2016). **Seems she loves to bury Cameroun** smiley

Other players who have scored in two or more AWCON finals are:

-» Stella Mbachu, Nigeria (1998, 2000): 2 goals (1 in '98, 1 in 2000).

-» Genoveva Anonma, Eq.Guinea (2008, 2012):
2goals (1 in 2008, 1 in 2012).

-» Perpetua Nkwocha, Nigeria (2002, 2004, 2006, 2010): 7goals (1 in '02, 4 in '04, 1 in '06, 1 in '10).

It therefore means that after Nkwocha who have scored in four different finals and has 7 strikes in the match deciders of the CAF AWCON, NO OTHER PLAYER HAS SCORED IN MORE FINALS THAN DESIRE OPARANOZIE..... smiley

#LegendOnTheRise #BigGamePlayer wink

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 5:42pm On Jul 05, 2022
semid4lyfe:
Some old & senior players are in the way of younger, better and more talented players thereby ruining the team play.

Rita Chikwelu, Osinachi Ohale and Onome Ebi should have been retired and have no business in this team.

Rita in particular is a terrible player and shouldn't be anywhere near our squad. I have been shouting this for ages.

Anyway, na the yeye coach I blame.

No player is in the way of any player... Its the NFF that sends invitation letters to those players, Amaju Pinnick, NFF and sports ministry is to blame for their continuous invites... If you were 38 years old footballer knowing fully well you're past it and you need money and your national team sends an invite would you reject it based on the fact that there are younger and more agile players who deserve to be in the team

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 5:54pm On Jul 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

Comment above made: Dec.5, 2016 (by a deactivated acct). He's still with us in another moniker form.

An example of how what we think or don't... SOMETIMES just doesn't matter. Lol

Mama is still kicking the leather in 2022. grin

This is largely because of our deficit in systems thinking. This self serving ideology won't move is forward as a nation.

Onome joined the national team at 19/20
Tochukwu Oluehi joined the national team at 20
Rita Chikwelu joined the national team at 18
Osinachi Ohale joined the national team at 18
Ngozi Okobi joined the national team at 16
Francisca Ordega joined the national team at 16

You only need to think systems to realize that if you don't retire early, you ultimately affect the next generation of Falcons. They got into the team early because someone decided to give them a chance and that early, the team ultimately was the better for it. The average age of our debutantes is 24. It speaks volume about how the team hasn't really evolved over the years.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 5:57pm On Jul 05, 2022
codemaniacs:

No player is in the way of any player... Its the NFF that sends invitation letters to those players, Amaju Pinnick, NFF and sports ministry is to blame for their continuous invites... If you were 38 years old footballer knowing fully well you're past it and you need money and your national team sends an invite would you reject it based on the fact that there are younger and more agile players who deserve to be in the team
I kinda agree with you. Correct me if I'm wrong but Ebi is unattached (without club) yet she was called up. Nigeria football will set it's foot on the path of greatness the day NFF stop interfering with player selection.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 6:04pm On Jul 05, 2022
I think we should tone down on the age narrative. Age isn't the primary culprit here, there are players same age who still deliver when called upon. I don't really care if a player is 35 or 40, as long as they deliver I really do not mind.

Also when a player is depleted in strength due to age, but can make up for it in experience, it is the responsibility of the coach to know how to manage such a situation. South Africa's oldest player made the list, but was on the bench yesterday cause she didn't fit into the coach's plan for yesterday's game. It doesn't mean she wouldn't participate in the competition all together, neither does it mean she wouldn't have been brought in of the occasion warranted it.

Onome didn't do badly in the first half quite frankly, she made timely interceptions a number of times in yesterday's game. It was the responsibility of the coach to know when she can't take anymore and remove when necessary. But what do you expect from a Randy Waldrum whose midfield was absent throughout the game and he sat on the bench like nothing was happening

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:06pm On Jul 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

Damn... 2016 she asked for one more and she got her wish in 2018... and here she is still in 2022.

Like the Guv'nor, Ahmed Musa for the SE, like 'Grandma', Onome Ebi for the SF. grin

She was our best player yesterday.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:08pm On Jul 05, 2022
I ain't saying nothing about performance.

Just making an observation. That's all. Lol.

BascoVanVeli:

She was our best player yesterday.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:20pm On Jul 05, 2022
Meanwhile how Oluehi escaped a card or being sent off for "that foul" on Kgatlana must be some lenient gift from the referee.

Amazing how I can say that I had little to no complaints about the ref from yesterday's game.

Oluehi is a very decent goalkeeper but I just personally feel much more assured with Chiamaka Nnadozie in goal. Thanks goodness she returns for the next game.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Bigzigg(m): 6:24pm On Jul 05, 2022
daveP:
Let me start with the GK

I've observed that Oluehi doesn't shout at Ebi whenever she's lacking concentration. But she shouts at Alozie and Plumptre. Three games and she has done this.

Is this about Respect? Cos those other two are younger. We don't need such abeg. Ebi kept wrecking the offside trap as she always does. She rather run back towards goal than pick a player to track and mark.

For that first goal, it is all on Ebi. Before the winger sped past Plumptre, who eventually recovered, we see Ebi simply strutting comfortably towards the box with her eyes on the ball. she did not even look back one in 7seconds
Not once. By the time Plumptre was passed, the eventual scorer has already gone pass Ebi and scored. Guess what? Plumptre body language shows she blamed herself for that. But look at Ebi's body language. Pisses me off. Let me not even start with Ohale and Ayinde.

I noticed there were lots of body feints and rather short dummy passes that Rita can't even catch up with. Mothlalo really did absolutely well with distribution. It is painful that she's a maestro in the middle with her frame. She sabi pass. Opening up where necessary.

The two scorers played on the left wing but they all scored thru the centre. That should tell us where the problem is. I almost forgot Kgatlana was on the pitch cos Plumptre really stood up to the task.

As for that second goal, two things could have happened, but Alozie went for the direct one. Alozie could run back and cover the scorer and leave a blank in centre. Alozie probably thought the offside trap was on. Guess who ruined it? Ebi. Ohale was not marking anybody. So Alozie was doing two things.

The seniority in this team is wack to wield. You can't be forming senior and be playing crap to people that are technically better than you are. Rita came off and Ikechukwu suddenly made the middle look like ours against. Ajibade looks like someone that fits coming on as a sub, especially if the tactics of the coach is not ever going to favor her role in middle.

The big ladies failed us.

Onumonu was sad she had a bad game. The fact that Ebi assisted doesn't absolve her of a very abysmal display despite her clearances (5).

Then after the match... Was that some argument between her and Ordega??

Plumptre's statement is perfect.

If these ladies can't give their all, they should stop being available for the benefits the GWG gives. The coach is wack to start with. He fits a training session coordinator. I can count how many times he stood up to shout at his team. I didn't even see a tactical pad around the bench.(pun intended).

Look at their midfield setup, Energy and passing prowess. Like these 4 mainly focused on distribution and track backs.

Modified

My aunt is a fan of Mercy Akide set and she was wondering why these guys didn't attempt shots at goal from outside the box.

Let me quickly add that our crossing game is wack still. If we engaged in some practices, at least the defenders will equally improve. Ajibade no sabi cross. She should focus on shots.

They just stressed Plumptre, Alozie and Onumonu for us. Mtchew

This is just excellent!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 6:27pm On Jul 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Meanwhile how Oluehi escaped a card or being sent off for "that foul" on Kgatlana must be some lenient gift from the referee.

Amazing how I can say that I had little to no complaints about the ref from yesterday's game.

Oluehi is a very decent goalkeeper but I just personally feel much more assured with Chiamaka Nnadozie in goal. Thanks goodness she returns for the next game.

I think there was already an Offside call before the foul. Oluehi comes out too much, I wonder why we never use Yewande, is she that bad?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:33pm On Jul 05, 2022
And I swear... If we bounce back from this and go all the way to the final again and WIN...

...Then my South African buds should get ready to be trolled real good. grin

2002 - Lost to Ghana in the group stages in Warri, Delta state. Came back and beat them in the final 2-0.

2004 - Held to a shock 2-2 draw (at the time) by Cameroun in SA. Came back and owned them 5-0 in the final. Perpetua hit a Super hattrick that day.

2018 - Lost to SA in the group stages in Cape Coast, Ghana. Came back and beat SA in the final on penalties. Oluehi being the hero.

2022 - Have lost to SA again in the group stages.... De ja vu?

Let's hope the team have the character and the heart to respond as they have always done. Let's hope the Monster mentality of the Super Falcons is still alive and well.

We move.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 6:40pm On Jul 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
And I swear... If we bounce back from this and go all the way to the final again and WIN...

...Then my South African buds should get ready to be trolled real good. grin

2002 - Lost to Ghana in the group stages in Warri, Delta state. Came back and beat them in the final 2-0.

2004 - Held to a shock 2-2 draw (at the time) by Cameroun in SA. Came back and owned them 5-0 in the final. Perpetua hit a Super hattrick that day.

2018 - Lost to SA in the group stages in Cape Coast, Ghana. Came back and beat SA in the final on penalties. Oluehi being the hero.

2022 - Have lost to SA again in the group stages.... De ja vu?

Let's hope the team have the character and the heart to respond as they have always done. Let's hope the Monster mentality of the Super Falcons is still alive and well.

We move.

That 2004 team just came back from playing the Olympics where they got to the quarterfinals, and their games then (with the flare, pace, and skills) attracted me to the falcons for the first time. When they drew that first game with Cameroon, I was surprised. There was no way Cameroon could have stood that team lol grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:41pm On Jul 05, 2022
Yeah, Oluehi has a thing for leaving her lines kinda too eagerly and frequently.
She was the hero back in 2018 though and still active today so naturally she was the choice in Nnadozie's one game absence.

Yewande... I honestly haven't seen much of her in action so I cannot say.

Just glad we would have a much more agile and more composed Nnadozie back.

No keeper is unbeatable but in Nnadozie, at least I can sleep easy for the most parts.

GeneralDae:

I think there was already an Offside call before the foul. Oluehi comes out too much, I wonder why we never use Yewande, is she that bad?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:49pm On Jul 05, 2022
To think that Akide even missed AWCON 2004 after her fantastic showing at the Olympics. Chaaiii...

Perpetua went on to bag 9 at that tournament. How many would Akide had scored? grin

That 2004 Squad at the Olympics was damn SOLID.

Ismaila Mabo-tutored women teams were quite interestingly Joyful to watch.

GeneralDae:

That 2004 team just came back from playing the Olympics where they got to the quarterfinals, and their games then (with the flare, pace, and skills) attracted me to the falcons for the first time. When they drew that first game with Cameroon, I was surprised. There was no way Cameroon could have stood that team lol grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 6:50pm On Jul 05, 2022
mostob:
I kinda agree with you. Correct me if I'm wrong but Ebi is unattached (without club) yet she was called up. Nigeria football will set it's foot on the path of greatness the day NFF stop interfering with player selection.

Not just stop interfering with player selection but also removing the "seniority mentality" and let younger and more mobile players get a chance..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2022
Perhaps if you had focused on the salient aspects of the game, you would have realized Kgatlana had been flagged for offside before the 'foul', thereby rendering it a non event.
But of course, making sure Alozie was 'responsible' for the second goal takes precedence... grin grin
TheSuperNerd:

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:59pm On Jul 05, 2022
Lame talk. So so weak...

I missed that phase of play because I was watching it at work and was already getting disinterested as we were already down at that point.

So sentimental Akin... try harder aiit. Trying to twist things exposes your desperation. wink

Alozie alongside Ayinde, Chikwelu, Ohale and Ebi all played a part in us conceeding that second goal. That was the whole point but you and your alozie asslicking gang just had to save ONLY ALOZIE.

Poor stuff from you man. So swerve. Lol

Perhaps you would get the chance to bash Ogbonna if she does play. Wait for it, Sentimental one. Your chance might just come. grin

AkinDS:
Perhaps if you had focused on the salient aspects of the game, you would have realized Kgatlana had been flagged for offside before the 'foul', thereby rendering it a non event.
But of course, making sure Alozie was 'responsible' for the second goal takes precedence... grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:21pm On Jul 05, 2022
The ways some folks here just keep simping for Alozie. Mehn... you would think she was actually the best player on the Nigerian side yesterday. Lol

She wasn't even better than Plumptre, Ajibade and Ebi. She had an overall good game but mehn... those 3 were just better on the day. Just the truth.

I clearly stated that she only had a part in the second goal. I called out the main culprits but maintain she remains among the culprits yet e dey pain her fans. grin

Almost like as if agreeing she had no hand in the second goal, no matter how little, would change the scoreline from yesterday Or maybe it would automatically reverse the pass from Jane. Lol

Alozie can do no wrong.... what a bunch of delusionals. grin

The team is far more important than Alozie, Please. If another player was in that position as she was... I would call him or her out too. I don't do hypocrisy like some do.

Focus on the team and not one player. Focus.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 7:27pm On Jul 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
The ways some folks here just keep simping for Alozie. Mehn... you would think she was actually the best player on the Nigerian side yesterday. Lol

She wasn't even better than Plumptre, Ajibade and Ebi. She had an overall good game but mehn... those 3 were just better on the day. Just the truth.

I clearly stated that she only had a part in the second goal. I called out the main culprits but maintain she remains among the culprits yet e dey pain her fans. grin

Almost like as if agreeing she had no hand in the second goal, no matter how little, would change the scoreline from yesterday Or maybe it would automatically reverse the pass from Jane. Lol

The team is far more important than Alozie, Please. If another player was in that position as she was... I would call him or her out too. I don't do hypocrisy like some do.

You wouldn't blame them as we are beginning to see beautiful ladies play for us, so there is naturally this soft spot for them of course grin.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:37pm On Jul 05, 2022
GeneralDae:

You wouldn't blame them as we are beginning to see beautiful ladies play for us, so there is naturally this soft spot for them of course grin.

I guess Courtney Dike at the 2015 WC was a joke to them abi. grin

Anyway, we both know they will deny this. So let it rest. wink

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:39pm On Jul 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
I ain't saying nothing about performance.

Just making an observation. That's all. Lol.

I know but I just had to let that be known wink
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by ceejayMAX(m): 7:39pm On Jul 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

ajibade wen nor fit cross ball grin grin grin

Nahwah

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 7:40pm On Jul 05, 2022
codemaniacs:

No just stop interfering with player selection but also removing the "seniority mentality" and let younger and more mobile players get a chance..
Yea...women football is becoming more mobile and evolving, we need to evolve too.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Samueltemi337(m): 7:46pm On Jul 05, 2022
mostob:
Yea...women football is becoming more mobile and evolving, we need to evolve too.
what's evolving about it

all the teams in this awcon played rubbish
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 7:53pm On Jul 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

I guess Courtney Dike at the 2015 WC was a joke to them abi. grin

Anyway, we both know they will deny this. So let it rest. wink
Courtney Dike is still talked about till this day. Though she was outstanding but mehn guys just want to see her all the time. I believe say even if Courtney score own goal, na keeper dem go blame grin.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 8:12pm On Jul 05, 2022
Samueltemi337:
what's evolving about it

all the teams in this awcon played rubbish
We are the most successful female team in Africa. So when we need a particular team to look up to, it shouldn't be in Africa. Go watch female football in other continents and you will understand my point.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Samueltemi337(m): 8:15pm On Jul 05, 2022
mostob:
We are the most successful female team in Africa. So when we need a particular team to look up to, it shouldn't be in Africa. Go watch female football in other continents and you will understand my point.
I wasn't just talking about Africa
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 8:18pm On Jul 05, 2022
Samueltemi337:
I wasn't just talking about Africa
But you mentioned AWCON specifically na grin grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:19pm On Jul 05, 2022
Well, okay... I trust by now, you can see I am somewhat in agreement.

Despite her lack of pace, she definitely was top 3 yesterday in my books on the overall. She, Plumptre and Ajibade for me.

BascoVanVeli:

I know but I just had to let that be known wink

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Samueltemi337(m): 8:25pm On Jul 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Well, okay... I trust by now, you can see I am somewhat in agreement.

Despite her lack of pace, she definitely was top 3 yesterday in my books on the overall. She, Plumptre and Ajibade for me.

what did ajibade play?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:25pm On Jul 05, 2022
GeneralDae:

Courtney Dike is still talked about till this day. Though she was outstanding but mehn guys just want to see her all the time. I believe say even if Courtney score own goal, na keeper dem go blame grin.

Not if that keeper is Onyinyechi Zogg's twin. I recall how some defended Zogg despite her obvious errors in a friendly one time (literally asking me to go soft on her) but spared no words for Glory Ogbonna who also made her own errors. Omo, I couldn't stand the hypocrisy in here that day.

So you see... if the GK is Zogg-like, another blame option will likely be found backed by "irrelevant" elaborate and sesquipedalianic-like explanations. grin

Some of these people... hmmmm... I don sabi them. It's well. For me, it's about the team first abeg.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) (389) ... (1070) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: kingphilip(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.