Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,345 members, 7,864,635 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 10:28 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (453) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (841646 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (450) (451) (452) (453) (454) (455) (456) ... (1090) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 12:31am On Jul 24, 2022
mostob:
I call her Tigernut .she is highly intelligent. The other winger, that #18 is good too but her arrogance overshadows her ability.
Missoudy may have a good WWC. Lol. Tigernut grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 12:33am On Jul 24, 2022
mostob:
Both TBH.
Who gets benched? grin Definitely not Ucheibe

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 12:34am On Jul 24, 2022
PDPGuy:

Don’t worry, he is plotting the downfall of the USWNT in September grin
grin grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:36am On Jul 24, 2022
Congrats Banyana Banyana.

Forget about the controversial way they reached the final with a non-existent pen call vs Zambia... truth remains they have been the best team at the just concluded AWCON/WAFCON.

It was always their tournament to lose since that first game vs Nigeria.

Happy for my favorite SA player, Linda Motlhalo and her teammates.

As for Nigeria's Super Falcons, we will be back for Official La Decima and Historical La Duodecima by the next edition. I know we will take our title back provided we dump Randy and his cheap rum football.

As for Morocco... kudos but the "ojoro" and obvious plan to crown them champs by fire and by thunder failed. They have some really exciting talents though but their loss is well deserved as they shouldn't even have made the final.

Good to see the Tottenham Curse followed one of their players (Rosella Ayane) to this tournament. grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 12:38am On Jul 24, 2022
Danielnino00:

This is the same thing reportedly going on with Jose Pseiro and his Nigerian assistants...

I think I agree with Johnbullmyson here... the NFF need to stop appointing assistants for these coaches...let them pick their choice... Thay way, they are fully accountable for their actions...

What Joe Bonfrere and Westerhof did was what the SAFA did with Ellis. They gave her free hand to scout and bring in local players anywhere, everywhere. That's bound to bring a superb result.

Our two NT coaches are having issues with impositions and influencing IV list. It's not working atall. Yet Nff are too myopic to try something else. Then they keep getting crappy coaches. At least if they flop, they'll be fully convinced it's just them.

I'm on a Twitter space right now and I'm hearing some reasons why Florence was sacked. Nawa o.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 3:51am On Jul 24, 2022
codemaniacs:

"Selection should be the best Nigerian born and grown players first before picking best foreign born players."

The best foreign born players will get capped by their countries. So most times, Nigeria doesn't get the best foreign players, Nigeria gets average foreign born Nigerians.

It is not archaic..

Selection should be the best Fulani/Hausa born and grown player first before picking best Yoruba and Ibo players.

I just repeated back what you said, only shifted the goal post a bit by adding more bigotry. Sometimes we don't know how ridiculous the things we say sound until we hear them said to us (in another way). The only advocacy should be us having the best players irrespective of where they are born, represent Nigeria. We should then make a better case for creating an enabling environment here in Nigeria to ensure the players based here can live up to their fullest potentials so they can compete favourably with anyone in the world. Simple.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by timay1: 4:00am On Jul 24, 2022
daveP:

They will be beaten like thieves during the world cup. Don't put your hopes on them o

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 4:27am On Jul 24, 2022
That tribalist and zealot?
Hell nah!
solonnachi:

Wahala wear rain coat ooo. Pinnick has killed Nigerian football. Bring back our Florence Omagbemi or Eucharia Uche
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 4:31am On Jul 24, 2022
Ajibade cannot win it - her red card will likely disqualify her.
Magaia of SA also has 3 goals, so does Cheebak. It will likely be between those 2.

Nnadozie was a huge disappointment for me - comical error against Morocco and her flub against Zambia showed she still has a lot to learn.
mostob:
Ajibade for golden boot.... They might give checkback though...no be CAF again?
Hilda for golden ball....they will definitely gift this to a moroccoan as a consolation. grin
Nnadozie for golden glove...3 clean sheets...or what are the criteria?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 4:35am On Jul 24, 2022
Seopo for me.
Brilliant player.
daveP:
This two ladies, i give it to them. Less of showboating and more of team work between them. Consistent so far. Had an average game vs the zambians though, but 6games, they deserve accolades

Mohthalo and Seopesenwe.

Which will you prefer in our falcons setup to make our team tick better if you had the chance?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 5:02am On Jul 24, 2022
AkinDS:

Nnadozie was a huge disappointment for me - comical error against Morocco and her flub against Zambia showed she still has a lot to learn.

Surprised this wasn't emphasized enough. No doubt Nnadozie is one of the best to come out of Africa, but the 2 goals she conceded will get any other person on the bench. She goal she conceded against Morocco was so unnecessary. She didn't need to go for that ball. She was also out of position against Zambia. She really needs to watch those games and tell herself she'll never make those particular errors again.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 5:03am On Jul 24, 2022
AkinDS:
That tribalist and zealot?
Hell nah!

How do you mean tribalist and zealot??

Mind sharing experiences that informed this conclusion?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 5:17am On Jul 24, 2022
Danielnino00:

LoL.. Imagine if you apply this rule to a sport like basketball..We would be at the bottom feeder in the sport..

In my opinion, what makes these foreign born players kind of superior to their home born counterparts is the fact that they have been exposed to advanced world class level of grooming in the sport.. They have world class facilities, proper coaching and the likes... It is the same with other sector of the country not just sport... Nigeria has the talents, we just don't have the infrastructure to develop the talents..That's why you see a lot of Nigerians doing well in developed countries where the system provide for them the technology they need... Look at people like Hakeem Olajuwon, Giannis Antetukoumpo, David Alaba, and the numerous athletes of Nigerian origin who have won laurels at the Olympics and world championship for other countries..

The truth is, until we get it right in terms of infrastructure development in sports, we will always need foreign born players in our national teams... And there's no point in segregating them .We need the best of them..... Home born or foreign born, merit should be the first criteria for selection...

I am not saying foreign born should not be chosen, I'm saying they shouldn't be 95% of team.

Home born players who are the best and are playing abroad should be selected while the best home born players who are playing in Nigeria should be tested and and given a chance.

The best foreign born players who want to play for Nigeria should be capped early.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 5:20am On Jul 24, 2022
lovewins:

Selection should be the best Fulani/Hausa born and grown player first before picking best Yoruba and Ibo players.

I just repeated back what you said, only shifted the goal post a bit by adding more bigotry. Sometimes we don't know how ridiculous the things we say sound until we hear them said to us (in another way). The only advocacy should be us having the best players irrespective of where they are born, represent Nigeria. We should then make a better case for creating an enabling environment here in Nigeria to ensure the players based here can live up to their fullest potentials so they can compete favourably with anyone in the world. Simple.

If the Fula:ni or ha:usa players are the best in their position and are playing abroad then they should be picked.

I am not saying foreign born should not be chosen, I'm saying they shouldn't be 95% of team.

Home born players who are the best and are playing abroad should be selected while the best home born players who are playing in Nigeria should be tested and and given a chance.

The best foreign born players who want to play for Nigeria should be capped early.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 5:26am On Jul 24, 2022
mostob:
Cc codemaniacs

I have some questions for you.
1. How do you think Falcons would have performed without Plumptre, Alozie,The Payne sisters and other FBs in this tourney?

2. Suggest the home grown players that would have been called up in place of these FBs.

For you to ask this shows that our home grown talents are getting worse and if we continue to try to make the team consist of 95% foreign born players then it will get worse.

If SF picks players that are below 25 then I don't think we would have done badly cos it's the old players that are making the team look weak.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 5:28am On Jul 24, 2022
Kibbs:
It is infact archaic and nepotic/favoritic. The best players should be selected for the national team and not in any order of home grown or foreign as you suggested. We clearly don’t have the infrastructure to churn out quality players from our local league, I don’t know if we used to but we clearly don’t right now.

Compare that to those who play in advanced countries and play in more competitive leagues where the standard is higher and quality is better. We are not a France or England who can comfortably pick their first XI from their league, we’re far far behind. Even France (men’s team) won the 2018 World Cup with the majority of players playing abroad.

If only you’d just put aside your sentiment and look at the bigger picture, the national team isn’t an audition stage for local players to know who is good enough or not. Get your thoughts right.

If we don't select home born players who are playing abroad then we will never ever have the infrastructure.

How many foreign born players have academies in Nigeria

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by dododawa1: 6:49am On Jul 24, 2022
isan:
Just shut it , useless tribalist
how did you feel,calling someone tribalist.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by justicechichex: 7:36am On Jul 24, 2022
Pls which country is hosting the next WAFCON? Or it hasn't been announced yet?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 10:23am On Jul 24, 2022
daveP:

What Joe Bonfrere and Westerhof did was what the SAFA did with Ellis. They gave her free hand to scout and bring in local players anywhere, everywhere. That's bound to bring a superb result.

Our two NT coaches are having issues with impositions and influencing IV list. It's not working atall. Yet Nff are too myopic to try something else. Then they keep getting crappy coaches. At least if they flop, they'll be fully convinced it's just them.

I'm on a Twitter space right now and I'm hearing some reasons why Florence was sacked. Nawa o.

The people running the NFF aren't different from our regular public office holders to be honest... Some of them are even politicians in some ways..Most have little or no connection to the game of football at all...They are more concerned about their own pockets..it's unfortunate

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 12:01pm On Jul 24, 2022
justicechichex:
Pls which country is hosting the next WAFCON? Or it hasn't been announced yet?

It hasn't been announced yet. But I saw a report somewhere that South Africa were interested in hosting it but didn't have the support of their government to host.. But now that they have won it, it may be possible they get the hosting right..It will give them an easier path to retaining the trophy

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by sanpipita(m): 12:28pm On Jul 24, 2022
codemaniacs:

For you to ask this shows that our home grown talents are getting worse and if we continue to try to make the team consist of 95% foreign born players then it will get worse.

If SF picks players that are below 25 then I don't think we would have done badly cos it's the old players that are making the team look weak.

They don't clearly see how this is affecting our football, NFF don't care about football development much they just go abroad and look for who to poach, is it not here someone complained u20 girls are trekking to training, how will anything good come out of that, we are ignoring our home front which will be costly for us.

This same template Pinnick is trying in falcons is same thing he did with super eagles, guess what both teams are worse off, we are looking for quick fixes and derailing, equatorial guinea used to poach players left, right and center, where are they now
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 1:48pm On Jul 24, 2022
sanpipita:

They don't clearly see how this is affecting our football, NFF don't care about football development much they just go abroad and look for who to poach, is it not here someone complained u20 girls are trekking to training, how will anything good come out of that, we are ignoring our home front which will be costly for us.

This same template Pinnick is trying in falcons is same thing he did with super eagles, guess what both teams are worse off, we are looking for quick fixes and derailing, equatorial guinea used to poach players left, right and center, where are they now

When exactly has the NFF cared about football development in Nigeria? Can you point to a time before 2014 when the NFF (formally NFA) invested heavily in football development? To now subtly suggest that the inclusion of Nigerians born outside the shores of our country is the reason why football development isn't given priority is being insincere.

We can call for the development of football in Nigeria while at the same time advocate for merit being the basis for the national team callup.

This is the same ridiculous notion the Minister of sports took that cost us the FIBA women's world cup. He claimed the dependence on foreign born players is at the detriment of the league so we needed to pull out completely from international basketball to develop the grassroot. It's funny he didn't have enough persons around him to tell him how stupid he sounded. How to you pull out of international basketball and claim to want to develop grassroot basketball when you can't compete for the FIBA u-15, u-17 world cups, BAL for clubs amongst many others. How do you develop the sports when there is a court case here in Nigeria that had kept the league in hiatus for 5 years? How do you expect said local players to compete favourably with their pairs? And how is this the fault of Nigerians born outside the country such that they have to bear the brunt for your incompetence.

I'm beginning to rant, but I really wouldn't want this kind of thinking to be mainstream. Our underage teams are almost always homegrown players. It is a platform for these players to show the world what they've got and when they do no one can deny them. It's how we got Oshoala, Ajibade, Okobi, Oparanozie, Ordega, Gift to mention a few. We should keep calling for more investments to ensure the development of the game at home while at the same time advocating for merit based inclusion for the national team. They aren't mutually exclusive.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by otokx(m): 2:33pm On Jul 24, 2022
Danielnino00:

It hasn't been announced yet. But I saw a report somewhere that South Africa were interested in hosting it but didn't have the support of their government to host.. But now that they have won it, it may be possible they get the hosting right..It will give them an easier path to retaining the trophy

Let South Africa host it.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 3:02pm On Jul 24, 2022
daveP:
Who gets benched? grin Definitely not Ucheibe
Squad depth... Vivian and Franny will sadly make way.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 3:03pm On Jul 24, 2022
daveP:

boss, can you summarize some of the reasons.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 3:04pm On Jul 24, 2022
AkinDS:
Ajibade cannot win it - her red card will likely disqualify her.
Magaia of SA also has 3 goals, so does Cheebak. It will likely be between those 2.

Why will red card disqualify Ajibade. She had 2 assists and 3 goals. Only checkback comes close with 1 assist and 3 goals. The assists will definitely count before the disciplinary something.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 3:10pm On Jul 24, 2022
codemaniacs:

I Perfectly understand you. Infact I've argued something along this line both on this thread and on the super eagles thread. Charity begins at home....we need to build those at home, give them a chance too. I think our previous coaches being a foreigner and the fact that our age grade football team has been off for a while due to covid is why there is dearth of talent on the home front.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 3:14pm On Jul 24, 2022
I hope I am wrong, but this sounds very much like what Ngozi Okobi would say. I am sorry, but all what was said here is a bunch of BS.

Schemerkhiz:
While the WAFCON finals is on going in Morocco, an integral member of the Super Falcons said if the Super Falcons are to do anything meaningful at the world Cup then Randy must be sacked, she also made it clear that Super Falcons in the next 2 years under Randy Waldrum's leadership will be the worse team in Africa.

"Super Falcons in the next 2 years under Randy leadership will be the worse team in Africa, The NFF are so comfortable with Randy, that man is here to destroy this team, we don’t learn anything from training, what ever show we put up on the field is because we’re good individually and we understand the task "

The Falcon also echoed the thoughts of many Nigerians that the American college coach has added nothing to the most successful team in women's football in Africa.
"We have very good players (individually) but no coach to make us a better team" .
The Falcon told me in an exclusive chat. Una say wahala be like wetin again ?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 3:14pm On Jul 24, 2022
Danielnino00:

This is the same thing reportedly going on with Jose Pseiro and his Nigerian assistants...

I think I agree with Johnbullmyson here... the NFF need to stop appointing assistants for these coaches...let them pick their choice... Thay way, they are fully accountable for their actions...
This is bad. Why impose assistants on the coach.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 3:16pm On Jul 24, 2022
daveP:
Good wetin? Let's wait for the draw first.

I want to ask something sef....
Is the same trophy used for every tournament? Like, did Nigeria returned the trophy when we won it in 2018 or yesterday's was a new trophy?
Just curious

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:20pm On Jul 24, 2022
mostob:
Going for 10 grin

Going for bronze cheesy cheesy

Going home cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

At least we carry CAF best player and AWCON golden boot home grin grin

BTW...what do they say about a divided house

I don't agree that the team is divided. I feel they are more together than ever before but at the end of the day I just feel the coach is not good enough. He has a poor understanding of his players and he was tactically exposed during this competition.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:30pm On Jul 24, 2022
Danielnino00:

The NFF finds it hard to pay a foreign coach. They are definitely not going to let u bring in ur own foreign assistants who will command at least double the people on ground. This should apply more to Nigerian coaches because then u know which local coaches to select.

(1) (2) (3) ... (450) (451) (452) (453) (454) (455) (456) ... (1090) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: Towbaba500(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.