Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,443 members, 7,864,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 09:08 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (454) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (842008 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (451) (452) (453) (454) (455) (456) (457) ... (1090) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 3:36pm On Jul 24, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

I don't agree that the team is divided. I feel they are more together than ever before but at the end of the day I just feel the coach is not good enough. He has a poor understanding of his players and he was tactically exposed during this competition.
Oga Basco, I was talking about the coaching crew not the team.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:38pm On Jul 24, 2022
mostob:
Oga Basco, I was talking about the coaching crew not the team.

Ok boss my apologies.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by sanpipita(m): 4:06pm On Jul 24, 2022
lovewins:

When exactly has the NFF cared about football development in Nigeria? Can you point to a time before 2014 when the NFF (formally NFA) invested heavily in football development? To now subtly suggest that the inclusion of Nigerians born outside the shores of our country is the reason why football development isn't given priority is being insincere.

We can call for the development of football in Nigeria while at the same time advocate for merit being the basis for the national team callup.

This is the same ridiculous notion the Minister of sports took that cost us the FIBA women's world cup. He claimed the dependence on foreign born players is at the detriment of the league so we needed to pull out completely from international basketball to develop the grassroot. It's funny he didn't have enough persons around him to tell him how stupid he sounded. How to you pull out of international basketball and claim to want to develop grassroot basketball when you can't compete for the FIBA u-15, u-17 world cups, BAL for clubs amongst many others. How do you develop the sports when there is a court case here in Nigeria that had kept the league in hiatus for 5 years? How do you expect said local players to compete favourably with their pairs? And how is this the fault of Nigerians born outside the country such that they have to bear the brunt for your incompetence.

I'm beginning to rant, but I really wouldn't want this kind of thinking to be mainstream. Our underage teams are almost always homegrown players. It is a platform for these players to show the world what they've got and when they do no one can deny them. It's how we got Oshoala, Ajibade, Okobi, Oparanozie, Ordega, Gift to mention a few. We should keep calling for more investments to ensure the development of the game at home while at the same time advocating for merit based inclusion for the national team. They aren't mutually exclusive.

The whole point nobody builds their football from abroad, check all good footballing nations one thing is common, good leagues, academies, NFF are always preferring foreign coaches to local ones but how many of these local coaches do they try help at least sending them to regular elite coaching courses.

You talked about Oshoala and co, look at their performance as age grade players, when last did we attain such, have we had any standout performer in age grade competitions in recent years? current ones are having to trek to camp and it won't end well
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 4:08pm On Jul 24, 2022
AkinDS:
Seopo for me.
Brilliant player.
Her movement is just too smart, plus either she knows who's nearby for a pass or she feels it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 4:09pm On Jul 24, 2022
Can't wait...

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 4:11pm On Jul 24, 2022
Danielnino00:

The people running the NFF aren't different from our regular public office holders to be honest... Some of them are even politicians in some ways..Most have little or no connection to the game of football at all...They are more concerned about their own pockets..it's unfortunate
That has been the norm since Galadima days now. grin

This third term bid, i want to see how it goes. One fact remains that Vawulence will erupt soon in Nff.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 4:13pm On Jul 24, 2022
mostob:
Squad depth... Vivian and Franny will sadly make way.
Chai. You harsh o
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 4:14pm On Jul 24, 2022
mostob:
boss, can you summarize some of the reasons.

Alleged that she incited the players to strike plus some backroom staff turn Spartan Motivator, etc. Plus some snitches among the players.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 4:17pm On Jul 24, 2022
mostob:
Good wetin? Let's wait for the draw first.

I want to ask something sef....
Is the same trophy used for every tournament? Like, did Nigeria returned the trophy when we won it in 2018 or yesterday's was a new trophy?
Just curious
She's a good player na grin

That Trophy looks very similar. If it's not the same, then it is sha 2nd hand. Cos... cry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 4:30pm On Jul 24, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

The NFF finds it hard to pay a foreign coach. They are definitely not going to let u bring in ur own foreign assistants who will command at least double the people on ground. This should apply more to Nigerian coaches because then u know which local coaches to select.
Your first statement is the reason I tell people, stop blaming the NFF for what they simply cannot do. If NFF cannot pay coaches and must collect money from the federal government to pay NT players then how exactly can they invest in football? I hate seeing some of these sports journalists pour blames ignorantly.

Secondly, these coaches bring in their assistant on their salary actually. NFF is responsible for the redundancy they create by employing an assistant coach under NFF and then the coach employs his assistant too.

NFF currently refers Peseiro's assistant as the assistant coach. Then Finindi is assistant coach 1. What sort of confusion is that?

At some point, even Yobo's role in the National team then became undefined.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 4:45pm On Jul 24, 2022
lovewins:

How do you mean tribalist and zealot??

Mind sharing experiences that informed this conclusion?
She's homophobic and too religious.

Was she not the one telling the Falcons to pray for husbands some time ago grin I don forget.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 4:58pm On Jul 24, 2022
AkinDS:
I hope I am wrong, but this sounds very much like what Ngozi Okobi would say. I am sorry, but all what was said here is a bunch of BS.

Of all the senior member of the team, it can't be Okobi. BTW..it is not BS
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:01pm On Jul 24, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
Your first statement is the reason I tell people, stop blaming the NFF for what they simply cannot do. If NFF cannot pay coaches and must collect money from the federal government to pay NT players then how exactly can they invest in football? I hate seeing some of these sports journalists pour blames ignorantly.

Secondly, these coaches bring in their assistant on their salary actually. NFF is responsible for the redundancy they create by employing an assistant coach under NFF and then the coach employs his assistant too.

NFF currently refers Peseiro's assistant as the assistant coach. Then Finindi is assistant coach 1. What sort of confusion is that?

At the end of the day they don't sneak the coaches in. U know they will appoint assistants before u take the job.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 5:03pm On Jul 24, 2022
daveP:

Alleged that she incited the players to strike plus some backroom staff turn Spartan Motivator, etc. Plus some snitches among the players.
chai...I must admit there are two sides to every coins. Now that we're clamoring for another coach, preferably a Nigerian, will something like these not rear their head eventually? This country ehn..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 5:04pm On Jul 24, 2022
daveP:
Chai. You harsh o
I'm not hrash bro. Ordega played like an amateur. A simple 'give and go', she would want to do it alone and eventually lost the ball.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:04pm On Jul 24, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
She's homophobic and too religious.

Was she not the one telling the Falcons to pray for husbands some time ago grin I don forget.

These are not exactly deal breakers in Africa.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 5:04pm On Jul 24, 2022
daveP:
She's a good player na grin

That Trophy looks very similar. If it's not the same, then it is sha 2nd hand. Cos... cry
But the way she do carry shoulder ehn, you would think she is some sort of Salah + ziyech + mahrez rolled into one. grin grin

I know...you haven't answer my question. Do team return the trophy ahead of a new tournament or a new trophy will be used for the new tournament?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 5:06pm On Jul 24, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

Ok boss my apologies.
None taking sir
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 5:21pm On Jul 24, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

The NFF finds it hard to pay a foreign coach. They are definitely not going to let u bring in ur own foreign assistants who will command at least double the people on ground. This should apply more to Nigerian coaches because then u know which local coaches to select.

Then let the NFF just have a fixed price for the assistants.. The coach should be told beforehand how much they are willing to pay his assistants...

If I recall well, Rohr was paying his own assistants from his pocket because they weren't in the NFF book... I don't see why such method can't apply to our other national team...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 5:24pm On Jul 24, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

Exactly. Surprised how this is an issue. The current super falcons could also be misconstrued as being too religious, didn't we see Oluehi on screen praying voraciously in the game against Zambia? Sometimes it's difficult to separate religion from culture in this part of the world as we have become culturally religious. I'll only have an issue if it's imposed on others.

As per homophobia, most persons in Nigeria and by extension Africa do not support same-sex marriage, and that in itself is termed homophobia in some quarters. For that to have been an issue would be far fetched.

Cc: mostob

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 5:26pm On Jul 24, 2022
JohnBullMySon:

Your first paragraph is quite funny,you know... I can recollect an argument we had sometimes ago on the super eagles thread where you alleged that the NFF was largely independent of the government,hence the government had no right to dictate to them how to run their affairs..Lol...

Truth is, the NFF isn't as broke as we think...If we calculate how much the federation has made over the years in terms of prize money and participation fee from CAF and FIFA, funding from the federal government and sponsorship deals, we won't say they are broke...
Take for instance, between 2013- 2016 we won the AFCON, 2 u-17 world cups, qualified for the world cup and won 2 AWCON...That was a space of 3 years and throughout that period, we heard stories of players protesting unpaid bonuses and coaches being owed...

NFF problem,just like many sector in Nigeria isn't really lack of money... it's mismanagement...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 5:28pm On Jul 24, 2022
lovewins:

Exactly. Surprised how this is an issue. The current super falcons could also be misconstrued as being too religious, didn't we see Oluehi on screen praying voraciously in the game against Zambia? Sometimes it's difficult to separate religion from culture in this part of the world as we have become culturally religious. I'll only have an issue if it's imposed on others.

As per homophobia, most persons in Nigeria and by extension Africa do not support same-sex marriage, and that in itself is termed homophobia in some quarters. For that to have been an issue would be far fetched.

Cc: mostob

The homophobia part could be an issue though... Especially with the foreign born players... Remember most of them come from a society where homosexuality is regarded as very normal.. So they may feel indifferent having someone like her as coach..
That aside, I don't think she's needed back... It's not like she was exceptional during her stint with the team...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 5:30pm On Jul 24, 2022
JohnBullMySon:

Your explanation is rather too simplistic. People blame the NFF not because of what they have in the bank per se, but on their assessment of what Nigerian football is worth. The Nigerian football brand is big enough to self finance itself without necessarily having government input in its day to day running (I don't mean infrastructure by the way). So if we are lagging those in charge should be responsible. Just last year, BB naija got $2M from its top sponsor ( that is one out of many other sponsors), for a show that lasts a couple of weeks. It's the job of those at the glass out to sell the Nigerian national team brand cause it's a brand that is sellable. If they are having a challenge doing that then they should be blamed.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 5:34pm On Jul 24, 2022
Danielnino00:

The homophobia part could be an issue though... Especially with the foreign born players... Remember most of them come from a society where homosexuality is regarded as very normal.. So they may feel indifferent having someone like her as coach..
That aside, I don't think she's needed back... It's not like she was exceptional during her stint with the team...

My reference is to the time she was national team coach, I am not necessarily making a case for her to come back. She was coach I think in 2010, and this was a time when even Obama didn't subscribe to same-sex marriage. I'm referring to a society as "progressive" as the US. We can't then in hindsight make a devil out of her for taking a position that was widely unpopular a decade ago. Same-sex marriage was legalized in the US just a few years ago and a large percentage of her citizens still do not support it.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Bigzigg(m): 5:34pm On Jul 24, 2022
AkinDS:
I hope I am wrong, but this sounds very much like what Ngozi Okobi would say. I am sorry, but all what was said here is a bunch of BS.

If this was ever said, then it's definitely Okobi who said it!... Yet, she remains a weak link on the team, despite having been improved.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Bigzigg(m): 5:50pm On Jul 24, 2022
mostob:
I'm not hrash bro. Ordega played like an amateur. A simple 'give and go', she would want to do it alone and eventually lost the ball.

You are right, If I am to list the players to make way, they'll be Chikwelu(useless), Ordega(Spent, tired), Ikechukwu(not ready) ....Ebi, as good and loyal as she's been, needs to make way for younger players to come through. Plumpter is a capable replacement. Also, Nigerians who were making noise about Gift Monday... Hope they've learned that she can't be a starter.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 5:50pm On Jul 24, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

It may not be talked about, but it is common knowledge that being gay is fairly common in female sport.

Maybe you've forgotten what made FIFA to warn her. She was complaining about the high amount of lesbians in the Falcons squad and bragging about how she will remove them all from the squad.

That was back in 2011. They may not be openly gay but sure we have them. Imagine what will happen if someone like her handles the squad again in 2022. Will you like to see squad members getting sent away for non football reasons?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 5:51pm On Jul 24, 2022
Bigzigg:

If this was ever said, then it's definitely Okobi who said it!... Yet, she remains a weak link on the team, despite having improved.
Seriously why are you guys so sure it's Okobi grin
If I'm to guess who made such statement, I'll mention 5 players before mentioning Okobi
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Bigzigg(m): 5:52pm On Jul 24, 2022
mostob:
Seriously why are you guys so sure it's Okobi grin
If I'm to guess who made such statement, I'll mention 5 players before mentioning Okobi

Mention them!
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 5:55pm On Jul 24, 2022
lovewins:

My reference is to the time she was national team coach, I am not necessarily making a case for her to come back. She was coach I think in 2010, and this was a time when even Obama didn't subscribe to same-sex marriage. I'm referring to a society as "progressive" as the US. We can't then in hindsight make a devil out of her for taking a position that was widely unpopular a decade ago. Same-sex marriage was legalized in the US just a few years ago and a large percentage of her citizens still do not support it.

Obama didn't support same sex marriage in 2010? what're you saying bruh?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Bigzigg(m): 5:58pm On Jul 24, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
It may not be talked about, but it is common knowledge that being gay is fairly common in female sport.

Maybe you've forgotten what made FIFA to warn her. She was complaining about the high amount of lesbians in the Falcons squad and bragging about how she will remove them all from the squad.

That was back in 2011. They may not be openly gay but sure we have them. Imagine what will happen if someone like her handles the squad again in 2022. Will you like to see squad members getting sent away for non football reasons?

That aside, what did falcons really play during her time? For anyone who cares, times have changed, and I assure you, if most of these names you throw around here are given this team to manage, you all will come back here crying more seriously.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 6:04pm On Jul 24, 2022
Danielnino00:

There were no foreign born players in 2011.

She was busy openly bragging about how she will remove gay players from the squad and replace them with Jesus players grin

You see, one of my fears with local coaches is that their ideology can posses them to the extent they start making sentimental decisions. It is also very possible with foreign coaches but I know how sentiments can rule us at times.

(1) (2) (3) ... (451) (452) (453) (454) (455) (456) (457) ... (1090) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: skallion7(m), JorgedeToledo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.