Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,396 members, 7,836,587 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (461) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (818762 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (458) (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) ... (1078) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 4:26pm On Jul 28, 2022
Ajibade is the best LW/RW in the team
Ajibade best AM in the team
Ajibade is 2nd best ST behind oshoala
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 4:53pm On Jul 28, 2022
We all saw how well that worked out, with 'Miss Thang' ball hogging and constantly turning the ball over.
You can spend all your time trying to fix something that has repeatedly failed to work, or you can try something better.
The cog in the wheel in the midfield is Okobi as AM, who is always trying to overdo things and hanging onto the ball too long.
Take it or leave it.
Schemerkhiz:

We need to play more of Shot Passes, In quick pace and high pressing as we have the energy to do so ....

Blend the Ayinde- Ucheibe -Okobi trio together and work on their positioning, ball exchange and retention not those overdosed long balls...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 5:11pm On Jul 28, 2022
You seem to forget that Vicky's dad is Spanish and its his responsibility to look out for her interest and her growth and comfort in life, especially since she is still very young and even more so since her mom in no longer alive. So her reality (playing for a country where she grew up and speaks the language her friends and family speak) counterbalances the admirable desires of a young kid who loves her mom and wants to honor her.

Like every good player out there, especially those born and raised overseas, they want to feel 'wanted'. The fear of the unknown is REAL. Onumonu was reached out to and asked, so was Zogg, Ariyo, Payne, Alozie, the Ijeh sisters and even Esther Okoronkwo. There's absolutely nothing wrong in the FA reaching out to Rinsola - its actually the right and professional thing to do.

I'm sure you have a viable back up plan when Randy leaves, right? That plan includes paying him off, having a more than competent technical hand to take over (not the 'wishes list' that everyone has been generating), having someone who would provide the FA with a better network than Randy has - multiple high profile friendlies that he has been able to generate (and not the once a blue moon friendly with Germany or France that ends up in disgrace). Like it or not, his friendlies have helped narrow the 'fear gap' between our ladies and other high power countries, like Canada, US and soon the European teams. When we go to the World Cup, we most certainly are not going to play against African opposition and we will likely get a more favorable group unlike before. So, doesn't that benefit Nigeria in the end?

Look, I get it that everyone is pissed. But we need to think holistically - In hindsight, I am okay with South Africa winning and we not. Why? It gives other African nations the impetus to build their women's program to become more competitive. We lost to SA (who have been chopping at our tail for almost a decade and finally made it). We lost to Morocco (who invested millions of dollars in building their women's program and did so successfully) and we lost to Zambia (who also have focused resources on their women's team and had a decent Olympics outing). Great!
We have had a bullseye on our backs as champs for over 2 decades. Its sometimes nice having someone else wear the bullseye on their backs for a bit - that would give us the drive and desire to take aim at them and knock them off the throne. I don't have an issue with the competition. Its actually very good for African Women's football.
lovewins:

Of course the Spanish FA would do anything to keep Vicky, [b]the difference though is Vicky's desire to play for the Falcon's as a way to honour her mother. [/b]So we have a peculiar case here we can leverage on, and if the report about her interest is true, then we have a very good chance.

Like you rightly noted, Rinsiola is 24, she doesn't need to wait for the FA to approach her, she needs to make the first step. I can't speak to her intension as they are innate, but I've followed her for sometime now and I'm what I can glean is she really wants to play for England. Getting into the Nigerian team wouldn't be difficult for her quite frankly he she wants to. She can leverage on relationship she has with persons like Oshoala to start the process of getting into the team. If she's waiting for be approached by the NFF then she'll wait long, she isn't an "exceptional talent" that we'll break our heads over.

On the way forward for the team, any solution that doesn't include Randy going isn't holistic. I know you like to cut him some slack but he won't get that with me. Randy will play at least 2 of those fantastic 4 regularly in his team if given the chance. You can't in one wise claim the players are a big problem while at the same time absolve the coach who doesn't just invite them, but plays them at will.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 5:14pm On Jul 28, 2022
AkinDS:
We all saw how well that worked out, with 'Miss Thang' ball hogging and constantly turning the ball over.
You can spend all your time trying to fix something that has repeatedly failed to work, or you can try something better.
The cog in the wheel in the midfield is Okobi as AM, who is always trying to overdo things and hanging onto the ball too long.
Take it or leave it.

I hope this present crop of falconets can produce a good AM...In truth, Okobi is way past her prime.. Her style of holding on to the ball for too long was quite annoying...In some ways, I blame her for that defeat against Morocco....
In my opinion,going forward, Ebi, Chikwelu, Okobi and Ordega should either be dropped or not be starters in the team anymore.. They are way past their prime... Some people might want to blame the players for missing chances and playing rubbish, but it's always the coach's decision to play them... Randy need to stop being sentimental and take action...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by marvin906(m): 6:12pm On Jul 28, 2022
When will the super falcons play like France..
Love watching France play the passing was sexy in my eyes
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:13pm On Jul 28, 2022
Despite mounting pressure #Nigeria #SuperFalcons coach, the same does not appear to be the case with Randy Waldrum, and #NFF president Amaju Pinnick says: "Randy is good enough and he will be staying and taking us to the World Cup". #npresssport

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 9:31pm On Jul 28, 2022
If randy is going to be sacked we need a coach has been working at the top level consistently not Omagbemi, dedevbo or eucharia that hasn't coach any team for the past 6 to 8 years
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:44pm On Jul 28, 2022
Waldrum failed woefully to unearth natural fullback solutions for Nigeria. It is worrying that his team lacked cutting edge on several occasions.

Although Okobi and Ayinde covered themselves in glory, Waldrum failed to provide Nigeria fans with youthful vibrant midfielder except Ucheibe with his constant use of veteran Rita Chikwelu. He also has the tendency to play several players in awkward positions.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by carbonado(m): 10:03pm On Jul 28, 2022
Deltamani:
Despite mounting pressure #Nigeria #SuperFalcons coach, the same does not appear to be the case with Randy Waldrum, and #NFF president Amaju Pinnick says: "Randy is good enough and he will be staying and taking us to the World Cup". #npresssport
....Sorry,when is Amaju tenure going to end....btw...his tenure has to be the worst as it relates Nigerian football,not going to nations cup in 2015 and 2017 respectively, not qualifying for the 2022 world cup, age grade tournament that we used to do well, we are no where to be found,seems it was 2015 that our u17 boys did meaningfully well, now, it is creeping into the womens game.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 10:10pm On Jul 28, 2022
Under 20 women's world cup: Which Falconets Players Can Be Fast-tracked To the Super Falcons team?

The Under 20 women's world cup commences in a couple of weeks time in Costa Rica with Nigeria expected to put compelling displays.

With the Super Falcons performing below expectations at the recently concluded Wafcon tournament, Nigeria fans are keen to see which of the Falconets Under-20 players can be fast tracked to the Super Falcons team for the world cup next July. .

Please look out for the following players whom I believe can be easily elevated into the Super Falcons set up:

1) Oluwatosin Demehin: the Rivers Angels centre defender was on the bench against USA in last year's summer series.

She was meant to be considered for further Super Falcons invitations but the decision was taken for her to first focus on her Under 20 career more so as Ebi and Ohale continue to strenuously hold on to those centre back positions beyond their prime.

I expect Demehin to push hard for a place in the world cup next year.

2) Flourish Sebastine : the Edo Queens speedster has a huge career in front of her after hopefully setting the Under-20 world cup ablaze.

She plays with a style similar to Ademola Lookman and Rasheedat Ajibade with her blistering pace, trickery and killer instinct in front of goal.

Owing to the plethora of indigenous and dual nationality attacking options open to the Super Falcons presently, next year’s World Cup might just have come too early.

But, if over-familiar faces like Ordega, Oparanozie, Ayinde, Okobi and Chikwelu become unavailable for one reason or another, then Sebastian might just sail towards world cup consideration.

Flourish emerged joint top scorer in world cup qualifiers with 7 scintillating goals. I expect her to take this blistering form to next month's U-20 World Cup where hopefully her antics will attract the attention of Randy Waldrum.

3) Mercy Idoko: the Nasarawa Amazons midfielder/attacker is the epitome of calmness with the ball. She reads the game with a level of intelligence that is way beyond her years.

She sort of reminds me of Mikel Obi in his Under-20 days and earlier in his senior career before Mourinho’s cardinal sin of converting him into a defensive midfielder.

I don’t see any reason why Idoko cannot be brought in to replace Rita Chikwelu. That said, the likes of Esther Okoronkwo, Peace Efih, Christie Ucheibe and Rasheedat Ajibade provide stern competition in that midfield, not to talk about evergreen duo of Okobi and Ayinde.

But, should Mercy Idoko mesmerise audiences at the youth World Cup, then Waldrum should have an additional prospect to consider.

Idoko, who can also play as a support striker, was third highest goals scorer in the world cup qualifiers with 5 goals.

4) Esther Onyenezide: some would argue that the Robo Queens midfielder is the peak of the bunch and I can see why.

Esther is very mouldable and pliable because of her football intelligence hence why she comes across as been extremely versatile.

She has a keen eye for defence splitting passes and she sure knows her way to goal. She is technically gifted and – like Rasheedat Ajibade – can fit into a variety of wing, forward, attacking midfield, and centre midfield roles.

She is a well conditioned athlete and definitely one to look out for at the World Cup.

Again Onyenezide is one of those players expected to push speedily for a place in the Super Falcons squad for next year’s World Cup.

Esther Onyenezide, along with compatriot Mercy Idoko, also scored 5 goals in the world cup qualifiers.

5) Rofiat Imuran : the Rivers Angels fullback is not a stranger to the Super Falcons. Coach Randy Waldrum picked Imuran ahead of Michelle Alozie for Nigeria’s cruch Wafcon qualifiers against Ghana.

Since then, the flamboyant fullback has focused more on her Falconets career. In a team desperately short of natural fullbacks, it will not shock me one bit if Waldrum hands Rofiat a call up ahead of the world cup.

The Under 20 women’s world cup is the perfect platform for Imuran to sell herself as worthy of taking her rightful place in the Super Falcons.

She is very rugged in her defensive duties and she loves to overlap with intent.

Other players with an outside chance of gatecrashing the Super Falcons squad are: Joy Jerry (exciting striker), Bashirat Amoo (sturdy midfielder) and Deborah Abiodun (dependable Defensive/Box-2-Box Midfielder).

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 10:26pm On Jul 28, 2022
carbonado:
....Sorry,when is Amaju tenure going to end....btw...his tenure has to be the worst as it relates Nigerian football,not going to nations cup in 2015 and 2017 respectively, not qualifying for the 2022 world cup, age grade tournament that we used to do well, we are no where to be found,seems it was 2015 that our u17 boys did meaningfully well, now, it is creeping into the womens game.
Chief... we're stuck with Amaju ... He is going to 3rd term grin grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by carbonado(m): 10:30pm On Jul 28, 2022
mostob:
........ cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 10:31pm On Jul 28, 2022
mostob:

Enlighten me, is it legal for the NFF president to contest for more than 2 terms like it is in our system of democracy or is it a free ride??
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 10:34pm On Jul 28, 2022
Danielnino00:

Enlighten me, is it legal for the NFF president to contest for more than 2 terms like it is in our system of democracy or is it a free ride??
Well, I'm not entirely sure but the news about his 3rd term bid has been going around for sometimes now. Even, the super falcons are said to be in support.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 10:40pm On Jul 28, 2022
mostob:
Well, I'm not entirely sure but the news about his 3rd term bid has been going around for sometimes now. Even, the super falcons are said to be in support.

I just did some checking... No NFF president has ever spent more than 4 years on the job talkless of going for 3 terms.. Pinnick is even the first to serve two terms.. The NFF must have some constitution that determine how many terms the president can serve...

As for the super falcons endorsing Pinnick, it could have been a PR stunt for all we know... it's not like his administration has been treating them alright...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 10:47pm On Jul 28, 2022
Danielnino00:

I just did some checking... No NFF president has ever spent more than 4 years on the job talkless of going for 3 terms.. Pinnick is even the first to serve two terms.. The NFF must have some constitution that determine how many terms the president can serve...

As for the super falcons endorsing Pinnick, it could have been a PR stunt for all we know... it's not like his administration has been treating them alright...
I thought as much... My worry now is that the next NFF president might just be worse.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:57am On Jul 29, 2022
Peace Efih depart Israel Clubside Kiryat Gat

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:59am On Jul 29, 2022
Deltamani:
Peace Efih depart Israel Clubside Kiryat Gat

Another player I'd love to have in the team again.

Which club Chief?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 10:38am On Jul 29, 2022
Which Administration has treated the Falcons better than pinnick Administration? i mean this girls don't have to stay back at their club and train alone during FIFA break again
Danielnino00:

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 11:03am On Jul 29, 2022
isan:
Which Administration has treated the Falcons better than pinnick Administration? i mean this girls don't have to stay back at their club and train alone during FIFA break again

Can we stop this bare minimum approach? It hasn't helped us as Nigerians. What metric exactly did you use to determine that the falcons have been "treated better"? My point is, there should be an objective metric to judge performances not "he did better than the last one". That's how Nigeria got Buhari, bare minimum.

Also consider that no one has served this long as NFF president like Amaju, also worth mentioning is that fact that his administration has been largely free from the normal internal crises the NFF is known by. So he didn't just have the time, he also had the right ambience to bring about change like no one else.

This we do know, the girls are still being owed bonuses and allowances. How is that any better?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by do4luv14(m): 11:07am On Jul 29, 2022
isan:

Not just that alone, wasn't it the gals, crying for friendlies before, now they don't have to,

Before any qualifiers they are sure to play 2 friendlies, unlike the fire Bridget approach before, they now prepare well, not to talk of them flying on time for any games,

Thing is the economy is bad, and the Nff had just one international sponsor, while the rest are locals,

Under a good economy, the ladies hardly play more than 2 or 3 friendlies in a calender year, but, now they are,

And I think the choice of coach is due to finance, awesome, this Administration had done well for our football
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by do4luv14(m): 11:10am On Jul 29, 2022
lovewins:

Can we stop this bare minimum approach? It hasn't helped us as Nigerians. What metric exactly did you use to determine that the falcons have been "treated better"? My point is, there should be an objective metric to judge performances not "he did better than the last one". That's how Nigeria got Buhari, bare minimum.

Also consider that no one has served this long as NFF president like Amaju, also worth mentioning is that fact that his administration has been largely free from the normal internal crises the NFF is known by. So he didn't just have the time, he also had the right ambience to bring about change like no one else.

This we do know, the girls are still being owed bonuses and allowances. How is that any better?

Thing is you should go and sack pinnick and Randy yourself, finito
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 11:15am On Jul 29, 2022
NFF owes the girls money but they still want him to be there because they don't want to go back to dark years of playing 1 friendly game in 2 years do you know what that does to their mental health ?
lovewins:

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 11:18am On Jul 29, 2022
Didn't they play like 12 top friendlies last year ? Lol grin the girls don't want pinnick to leave because they don't know if next president will abandon them or not
do4luv14:

Not just that alone, wasn't it the gals, crying for friendlies before, now they don't have to,

Before any qualifiers they are sure to play 2 friendlies, unlike the fire Bridget approach before, they now prepare well, not to talk of them flying on time for any games,

Thing is the economy is bad, and the Nff had just one international sponsor, while the rest are locals,

Under a good economy, the ladies hardly play more than 2 or 3 friendlies in a calender year, but, now they are,

And I think the choice of coach is due to finance, awesome, this Administration had done well for our football
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 11:39am On Jul 29, 2022
isan:

They are also still being owed allowance and bonus... And also don't forget he practically abandoned the team for over a year after the 2016 AWCON because of the bonus issue that occurred...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 11:40am On Jul 29, 2022
do4luv14:

Thing is you should go and sack pinnick and Randy yourself, finito

This will probably be the last time I engage you. The beauty of platforms like this is we can have differing views, but we have the opportunity to debate them. At th crux of it, we know we all want a better football house and a better Nigeria. But when you engage with pedestrian comments like this, when you could just have aired you contrary view, it shows the kind of person you her really.

Like I said, last time I'll be engaging you, not worth the time.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by carbonado(m): 11:48am On Jul 29, 2022
do4luv14:

....crown it with a good coach, is there no local coach, former falcon that will accept what Waldrum is being paid......Everything has to be in allignment, especially the coaching dept,or else all those FIFA windows and training camps will go to waste, as the girls will not learn much.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 11:48am On Jul 29, 2022
isan:
NFF owes the girls money but they still want him to be there because they don't want to go back to dark years of playing 1 friendly game in 2 years do you know what that does to their mental health ?

Don't say "they". Only 2 members of the team have allegedly come out to support Amaju's 3rd term bid, Asisat and Onome and one can say it is simply for selfish reasons. It's like saying Ahmed Musa supporting Amaju is reflective of the stance of the entire super eagles squad. Most of these girls do not even want to get involved with the politics of the NFF, it's none of their business quite frankly. They just want an environment where they can thrive and succeed.

Also, if you read my earlier comment, you'll notice the crux of my argument is that there be an objective metric to judge administrators. Of course things have been relatively better for the girls the last couple of year, but again better is relative when what you are comparing it with is the absolute worse. For someone who lives on the street, a one room apartment in the slum is better, but still not reflective of the standard befitting of any human. That's my point
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 12:02pm On Jul 29, 2022
carbonado:
....crown it with a good coach, is there no local coach, former falcon that will accept what Waldrum is being paid......Everything has to be in allignment, especially the coaching dept,or else all those FIFA windows and training camps will go to waste, as the girls will not learn much.

If there's anything I have commended the current administration for, it's been the high quality friendly games the girls have played the last 2 years. Which is why I have asked a number of times here if these friendlies are a product of Randy's influence or in spite of him. You'll notice most of these friendlies started when Randy became coach.

It's worth noting however that these friendlies won't count for much if the coach is deficient.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by do4luv14(m): 12:04pm On Jul 29, 2022
lovewins:

This will probably be the last time I engage you. The beauty of platforms like this is we can have differing views, but we have the opportunity to debate them. At th crux of it, we know we all want a better football house and a better Nigeria. But when you engage with pedestrian comments like this, when you could just have aired you contrary view, it shows the kind of person you her really.

Like I said, last time I'll be engaging you, not worth the time.

The person I am Reality,

The reasons I aired what I aired, is the persistent call for the sack of Randy, and calling out the Nff,

Sack and started from the ground again, are you not tired of it , how sure are you that the next coach will work with same set of players,

I can go on and on, bit I rest my case, since you cho6the honourable part of knowing the kinda person I am,

All I can say is it is well
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 12:08pm On Jul 29, 2022
isan:

So you're telling me that the girl's endorsement of Pinnick was so genuine that they staged a protest by boycotting training a few days after..
LoL..Na PR stunt my guy...

(1) (2) (3) ... (458) (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) ... (1078) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.