Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,630 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (606) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (794874 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (603) (604) (605) (606) (607) (608) (609) ... (1068) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 3:04pm On Jan 26, 2023
Chiwendu Ihezuo celebrating
https://twitter.com/i/status/1511364281861697540
lovewins:
Head Coach Randy Waldrum has called up 23 players of Nigeria’s Super Falcons for next month’s Revelation Cup Tournament to be staged in Leon, Mexico City, among them Captain Onome Ebi, Spain-based forward Asisat Oshoala and long-time number one goalkeeper Chiamaka Nnadozie.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:30pm On Jan 26, 2023
updated Feb Break Tournaments as Zambia confirm participation in Alanya Women's Tournament to be held in Turkey:

Feb 15
Zambia vs Turkey
Uzbekistan vs Slovenia

Feb 18
Zambia vs Slovenia
Turkey vs Uzbekistan

Feb 21
Zambia vs Uzbekistan
Turkey vs Slovenia

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:42pm On Jan 26, 2023
WALDRUM PICKS EBI, OSHOALA, 21 OTHERS FOR REVELATION CUP IN MEXICO

Head Coach Randy Waldrum has called up 23 players of Nigeria’s Super Falcons for next month’s Revelation Cup Tournament to be staged in Leon, Mexico City, among them Captain Onome Ebi, Spain-based forward Asisat Oshoala and long-time number one goalkeeper Chiamaka Nnadozie.

Hosts Mexico, Nigeria, Costa Rica and Colombia are the participating teams at the tournament in the State of Guanajuato, with matches between 15th – 21st February, and with the objective of preparing the contestants for the 9th FIFA Women’s World Cup finals in Australia and New Zealand this summer.

Nine -time African champions Nigeria will play their first game of the tournament against hosts Mexico starting at 4pm Mexico time (10pm Nigeria time) on Wednesday, 15th February, three hours after the opening match between Costa Rica and Colombia.

On Saturday, 18th February, the Falcons will be up against Colombia at 1pm Mexico time (7pm Nigeria time), before Costa Rica square up against the host nation.

Costa Rica will be Nigeria’s last opponents, both teams locking horns as from 5pm Mexico time (11pm Nigeria time) on Tuesday 21st February, before hosts Mexico and Colombia draw the curtain on the four-nation tourney.

Nigeria’s delegation to the tournament will depart the country’s shores on Saturday, 11th February.

The Super Falcons will tackle co-hosts Australia, Olympic champions Canada and debutants Republic of Ireland at what will be the biggest FIFA Women’s World Cup finals ever, this summer in Australia and New Zealand.

ALL THE INVITED PLAYERS:

Goalkeepers:
Chiamaka Nnadozie (Paris FC, France); Yewande Balogun (AS Saint-Etienne, France)

Defenders:
Onome Ebi (Levante Las Planas (Spain);
Osinachi Ohale (Deportivo Alaves, Spain);
Ashleigh Plumptre (Leicester City, England);
Glory Ogbonna (ALG Spor, Turkey);
Rofiat Imuran (Stade de Reims, France);
Michelle Alozie (Houston Dash, USA);
Oluwatosin Demehin (Stade de Reims, France); Akudo Ogbonna (Rivers Angels)

Midfielders:
Halimatu Ayinde (FC Rosengard, Sweden); Christy Ucheibe (SL Benfica, Portugal); Ngozi Okobi-Okeoghene (Eskilstuna United, Sweden); Rasheedat Ajibade (Atletico Madrid, Spain);
Toni Payne (Sevilla FC, Spain);
Jennifer Echegini (Florida State University, USA);
Regina Otu (AS Saint-Etienne, France)

Forwards:
Asisat Oshoala (Barcelona Femenin, Spain);
Esther Okoronkwo (AS Saint-Etienne, France);
Ifeoma Onumonu (NY/NJ Gotham FC, USA); Chinwendu Ihezuo (Rayadas Monterrey, Mexico); Francisca Ordega (CSKA Moscow, Russia);
Uchenna Kanu (Tigres Femenil, Mexico)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:58pm On Jan 26, 2023
It’s good to retire when the Ovation is high

Onome Ebi case right now, I believe she’s only going to the World Cup to get the record of playing at 6 world Cups and retire…

With Ashleigh Plumptre at CB there’s no need for Ebi except Randy wants Plumptre at Left Back which will definitely affect the team cause if Ashleigh overlaps and get caught up Ebi doesn’t have the pace to match up.. Again Tony Payne looks more like who’s going to play full back at the World Cup with the Glory Ogbonna and co am seeing…

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 4:10pm On Jan 26, 2023
Deltamani:
It’s good to retire when the Ovation is high

Onome Ebi case right now, I believe she’s only going to the World Cup to get the record of playing at 6 world Cups and retire…

With Ashleigh Plumptre at CB there’s no need for Ebi except Randy wants Plumptre at Left Back which will definitely affect the team cause if Ashleigh overlaps and get caught up Ebi doesn’t have the pace to match up.. Again Tony Payne looks more like who’s going to play full back at the World Cup with the Glory Ogbonna and co am seeing…

Onome will likely start from the bench. I sincerely do not see her starting games. Her going to the World Cup is largely ceremonial, a "reward" for her years of service to the team. She will definitely retire after that.

Ashleigh and Ohale are likely to be starters. I also agree that Tony Payne will likely serve as a fullback.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:34pm On Jan 26, 2023
What’s the need for Rita Chikwelu (35yrs by March) in the team when Halimatu Ayinde, Regina Otu and Christy Ucheibe are doing excellent job in the DM and CM position?

Again going by Age effectiveness and experience Ngozi Okobi (29yrs) is next in line, She should offer that experience let’s a younger prospect like Jennifer Onyi Echegini (21yrs) take that spot..

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 4:49pm On Jan 26, 2023
Actually, Chikwelu had a decent game yesterday vs. Barcelona (Oshoala had a hattrick - she looked the part, even though her finishing could be better).
How Ebi, who hasn't kicked a ball in months made the cut is beyond me. If anything, and from a match fitness standpoint, Chikwelu is in much better shape than she is. Ebi should be excused and the younger Nicole Payne should have been chosen instead.
Its a complete travesty that Ebi is on the squad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQoU2NJiA50
Deltamani:
What’s the need for Rita Chikwelu (35yrs by March) in the team when Halimatu Ayinde, Regina Otu and Christy Ucheibe are doing excellent job in the DM and CM position?

Again going by Age effectiveness and experience Ngozi Okobi (29yrs) is next in line, She should offer that experience let’s a younger prospect like Jennifer Onyi Echegini (21yrs) take that spot..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:00pm On Jan 26, 2023
AkinDS:
Actually, Chikwelu had a decent game yesterday vs. Barcelona (Oshoala had a hattrick - she looked the part, even though her finishing could be better).
How Ebi, who hasn't kicked a ball in months made the cut is beyond me. If anything, and from a match fitness standpoint, Chikwelu is in much better shape than she is. Ebi should be excused and the younger Nicole Payne should have been chosen instead.
Its a complete travesty that Ebi is on the squad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQoU2NJiA50

Like what Lovewins have said Her going to the World Cup is largely ceremonial, a "reward" for her years of service to the team. She will definitely retire after that...

I don’t think she would even get much game time over there in Mexico as Osinachi Ohale, Ashleigh Plumptre the next pair at CB and younger Blessing Demehin and Akudo Ogbonna the other options

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 5:07pm On Jan 26, 2023
I understand that, BUT...
Her 'going' to the WC means you have to drop someone, and possibly a future prospect, to accommodate her and repay her for her years of service, which is sentimental. A more reasonable way would be to add her to the coaching staff instead of her taking up a valuable spot.
This means a person like Gift Monday or Nicole Payne or anyone else who is more deserving and who can serve the team better, will be dropped.
Deltamani:

Like what Lovewins have said Her going to the World Cup is largely ceremonial, a "reward" for her years of service to the team. She will definitely retire after that...

I don’t think she would even get much game time over there in Mexico as Osinachi Ohale, Ashleigh Plumptre the next pair at CB and younger Blessing Demehin and Akudo Ogbonna the other options

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 5:09pm On Jan 26, 2023
She did say she would continue to play until she is unable. I wouldn't bet on her retiring after the WC.
Also, she can be 'repaid for her years of service' in a more befitting way, as opposed to her just sitting on the bench taking a valuable spot from someone else who is more deserving.
Randy can add her to the coaching staff - that would make more sense!
lovewins:

Onome will likely start from the bench. I sincerely do not see her starting games. Her going to the World Cup is largely ceremonial, a "reward" for her years of service to the team. She will definitely retire after that.

Ashleigh and Ohale are likely to be starters. I also agree that Tony Payne will likely serve as a fullback.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:22pm On Jan 26, 2023
AkinDS:
I understand that, BUT...
Her 'going' to the WC means you have to drop someone, and possibly a future prospect, to accommodate her and repay her for her years of service, which is sentimental. A more reasonable way would be to add her to the coaching staff instead of her taking up a valuable spot.
This means a person like Gift Monday or Nicole Payne or anyone else who is more deserving and who can serve the team better, will be dropped.

Nicole Payne going to the World Cup is more certain than that of Monday Gift sef, anyways this has been Onome Ebi’s way she tends to perform better than Rita for some years now even without Club. And right now Rita can’t bench any of Halimatu Ayinde, Regina Otu, Christy Ucheibe

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:16pm On Jan 26, 2023
The Return of Veronica Chinwendu Ihezuo

Anyway she has Joined Rayadas Femenil for the 2023 Clause.

Chinwendu Ihezuo VS Uchenna Kanu

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 6:21pm On Jan 26, 2023
AkinDS:
She did say she would continue to play until she is unable. I wouldn't bet on her retiring after the WC.
Also, she can be 'repaid for her years of service' in a more befitting way, as opposed to her just sitting on the bench taking a valuable spot from someone else who is more deserving.
Randy can add her to the coaching staff - that would make more sense!

I really do not see her in the Super Falcons after the World Cup. Even if she decides not to retire, I don't think she'll enjoy same favour from the coaches/NFF after the world cup.

Also, veteran players being included as a part of a tournament team even when they are past their prime isn't an alien practice. Janine van Wyk was at the nation's cup for South Africa even though she was on the bench for the most part.. Christine Sinclair towards the end of her international career was playing fewer minutes than she used to. Morgan Rapinoe is experiencing same now. These are accomodations usually made for veteran players sadly.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:46pm On Jan 26, 2023
Oshoala vs Chikwelu from yesterday, Both did well for their clubs.

Also can't forget the goal by Vicky Lopez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU-06SM9YcA

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:22pm On Jan 26, 2023
AndSunGorilla:

Of course I know it's three games, the double header language is misleading. No way a national team would play 6 games within that short time frame.
Exactly
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 12:51am On Jan 27, 2023
🚨 | 🇳🇬Vivian Ikechukwu today trained with Besiktas following her move from Lithuanian side FC Gintra on a one-and-half year deal.

At Gintra, she had 14 goals and 14 assists in 19 games and helped the team to defend their league title.

She also helped them qualify for the Women’s Champions League.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 1:58am On Jan 27, 2023
Good to have you back Onyinyechi Zogg, 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup loading.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:18am On Jan 27, 2023
🟢Pep Talk | Moment 5 Time African player Of The Year Whisper To Vicky Lopez After Barcelona’s 7:0 Victory Over Sociedad.

🥇asisat_oshoala🗣️
“Vicky come and play for Nigeria na”

🥇vikkylopezz🗣️
“Agba Baller! u dey whine me? Spain no Ho gree at all.”

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 8:42am On Jan 27, 2023
Schemerkhiz:
Good to have you back Onyinyechi Zogg, 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup loading.
Nothing about this girl scream 'defender'. I've never watched her but I'd be worried if she plays as a CB for my team.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 9:58am On Jan 27, 2023
she's a ball playing center back , she can be a good addition to the team
mostob:
Nothing about this girl scream 'defender'. I've never watched her but I'd be worried if she plays as a CB for my team.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 10:01am On Jan 27, 2023
isan:
she's a ball playing center back , she can be a good addition to the team
I'm more concerned about her defensive aspect. Of course, she will be a good addition maybe as a FB.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 10:08am On Jan 27, 2023
she doesn't have much pace to be a fullback
mostob:
I'm more concerned about her defensive aspect. Of course, she will be a good addition maybe as a FB.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 11:40am On Jan 27, 2023
mostob:

Zogg plays every where in the defense just like Faith Ikidi.. As a Center Back and Full Back which she have done for her Various Clubs….!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 11:42am On Jan 27, 2023
mostob:

Don’t let her Pretty and soft look deceive you… She’s tough and very physical..

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 1:52pm On Jan 27, 2023
Deltamani:

Don’t let her Pretty and soft look deceive you… She’s tough and very physical..
Ok boss. You're right, her look may be deceptive. That was the basis of my observation. Defenders no dey fresh like that grin
lemme go check her on YouTube.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:54pm On Jan 27, 2023
Fifa Women's World Cup Repechage

Cameroun 🇨🇲 announce their squad for the upcoming Fifa Women's World Cup Repechage in New Zealand 🇳🇿

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:21pm On Jan 27, 2023
Deltamani:
Fifa Women's World Cup Repechage

Cameroun 🇨🇲 announce their squad for the upcoming Fifa Women's World Cup Repechage in New Zealand 🇳🇿

Is it that my favorite 27yrs old Cameroonian Midfielder Raissa Feudjio have retired from the National Team or what is happening…?

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:45pm On Jan 27, 2023
Deltamani:
WALDRUM PICKS EBI, OSHOALA, 21 OTHERS FOR REVELATION CUP IN MEXICO

Hosts Mexico, Nigeria, Costa Rica and Colombia are the participating teams at the tournament in the State of Guanajuato, with matches between 15th – 21st February, and with the objective of preparing the contestants for the 9th FIFA Women’s World Cup finals in Australia and New Zealand this summer.

Nine -time African champions Nigeria will play their first game of the tournament against hosts Mexico starting at 4pm Mexico time (10pm Nigeria time) on Wednesday, 15th February, three hours after the opening match between Costa Rica and Colombia.

On Saturday, 18th February, the Falcons will be up against Colombia at 1pm Mexico time (7pm Nigeria time), before Costa Rica square up against the host nation.

Costa Rica will be Nigeria’s last opponents, both teams locking horns as from 5pm Mexico time (11pm Nigeria time) on Tuesday 21st February, before hosts Mexico and Colombia draw the curtain on the four-nation tourney.

Nigeria’s delegation to the tournament will depart the country’s shores on Saturday, 11th February.

The Super Falcons will tackle co-hosts Australia, Olympic champions Canada and debutants Republic of Ireland at what will be the biggest FIFA Women’s World Cup finals ever, this summer in Australia and New Zealand.

ALL THE INVITED PLAYERS:

Goalkeepers:
Chiamaka Nnadozie (Paris FC, France); Yewande Balogun (AS Saint-Etienne, France)

Defenders:
Onome Ebi (Levante Las Planas (Spain);
Osinachi Ohale (Deportivo Alaves, Spain);
Ashleigh Plumptre (Leicester City, England);
Glory Ogbonna (ALG Spor, Turkey);
Rofiat Imuran (Stade de Reims, France);
Michelle Alozie (Houston Dash, USA);
Oluwatosin Demehin (Stade de Reims, France); Akudo Ogbonna (Rivers Angels)

Midfielders:
Halimatu Ayinde (FC Rosengard, Sweden); Christy Ucheibe (SL Benfica, Portugal); Ngozi Okobi-Okeoghene (Eskilstuna United, Sweden); Rasheedat Ajibade (Atletico Madrid, Spain);
Toni Payne (Sevilla FC, Spain);
Jennifer Echegini (Florida State University, USA);
Regina Otu (AS Saint-Etienne, France)

Forwards:
Asisat Oshoala (Barcelona Femenin, Spain);
Esther Okoronkwo (AS Saint-Etienne, France);
Ifeoma Onumonu (NY/NJ Gotham FC, USA); Chinwendu Ihezuo (Rayadas Monterrey, Mexico); Francisca Ordega (CSKA Moscow, Russia);
Uchenna Kanu (Tigres Femenil, Mexico)

Anyway, I would rather have Tony Payne at Left Back instead of Rofiat Imuran and Glory Ogbonna.. Both are just close to average at best.., Infact I’m not impressed at all, if you rewatch the last Friendly game against the US then you would know better.. They still have a long way to go.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 8:17pm On Jan 27, 2023
My views on revelations' cup squad

Goalkeepers:
Chiamaka Nnadozie - Excited
Yewande balogun. - Embarrassing

Defenders:
Onome Ebi Embarrassing
Osinachi Ohale Excited
Ashleigh Plumptre Excited
Glory Ogbonna Not the best
Rofiat Imuran Excited
Michelle Alozie Not a defender
Oluwatosin Demehin Excited
Akudo Ogbonna - Just there

Mieldfielders

Halimatu Ayinde Excited
christy ucheibe Excited
Ngozi Okobi-Okeoghene just there
Rasheedat Ajibade Excited
Toni Payne Excited
Jennifer Echegini excellent
Regina Otu lack quality

Forwards:
Asisat Oshoala Excited
Esther Okoronkwo just coming back
Ifeoma Onumonu Excited
chiwendu ihezuo Should be Roosa
Fransisca ordega past her best
Uchenna Kanu Excited

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 8:55pm On Jan 27, 2023
isan:

Goalkeepers:
Chiamaka Nnadozie - [b]Excited

Yewande balogun. - Embarrassing[/b]

Defenders:
Onome Ebi Embarrassing
Osinachi Ohale Excited
Rofiat Imuran Excited

Mieldfielders

Halimatu Ayinde Excited
christy ucheibe Excited
Toni Payne Excited
Regina Otu lack quality

Forwards:
Asisat Oshoala Excited
Ifeoma Onumonu Excited
Uchenna Kanu Excited

For the Goalkeepers the inclusion of Balogun Yewande is pretty okay, not embarrassing as it seems, she trains regularly, plays their cup games, but have only played 1 league game this season so not bad..

Again the home based goalkeepers are not as good as you’re seeing them, I can only hand pick Christy Ohaeriaku and Okeke

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 8:58pm On Jan 27, 2023
isan:

Goalkeepers:
Chiamaka Nnadozie - Excited
Yewande balogun. - Embarrassing

Defenders:
Onome Ebi Embarrassing
Osinachi Ohale Excited
Rofiat Imuran Excited

Mieldfielders

Halimatu Ayinde Excited
christy ucheibe Excited
Toni Payne Excited
Regina Otu lack quality

Forwards:
Asisat Oshoala Excited
Ifeoma Onumonu Excited
Uchenna Kanu Excited

Again how can you be excited for Rofiat Imuran who hasn’t played any game since after the Friendly game against USA? She doesn’t even make her club match day list, she’s in same boat with Onome Ebi and Glory Ogbonna right now..

Onyi Zogg is a better option as she has been regular and more versatile( can play any of the positions in defense)

(1) (2) (3) ... (603) (604) (605) (606) (607) (608) (609) ... (1068) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.