Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,693 members, 7,820,422 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (641) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (805771 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (638) (639) (640) (641) (642) (643) (644) ... (1073) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 8:37pm On Mar 20, 2023
AkinDS:
She's already committed to England.
Next...

She's very open to playing for Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 8:39pm On Mar 20, 2023
AkinDS:
So? Esther was THE best player at Lamar University in Beaumont here in TX. Did that mean she was a super star? No. Yet, when she debuted for Nigeria in the second half against Jamaica, it was easy to realize that even though she was still green, she was definitely a 'keeper' (i.e. someone who could potentially become important to the team). Same with Chinwe Alozie, Tosin Demehin (who started but got injured) and Onumonu.

Esther talent is there to see and was pretty obvious she would be a main stay in the team for time to come, she was a MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List in (2020), A player that scored 35goals, 16 assists in 39games for Lamar..

Ifeoma Onumonu was already a well known player in the NWSL before them so I don’t think she’s in this category
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 8:40pm On Mar 20, 2023
I believe you are.
Based on what I have seen, his preference is to gently bring players on to help their levels of confidence (which is the approach any right thinking coach will take).
We saw that with Nicole Payne, Rofiat Imuran, Debbie Abiodun and Echegini)
lovewins:

First, it was in that Canada game I knew Onyi had great potentials, only needed confidence and time to prove that.

Second your facts are incomplete. Randy introduced her in the first game against Canada (she played 11mins). She was however unused throughout the second Canada game. She was also an unused substitute against the USA even when it was obvious we had a midfield challenge. He again started her off the bench in the second USA game. She came in only in the second half. Again I'm thankful that he brought her into the team and he's starting to use her, but typical Randy will likely still bench her for "experience" when it matters most. I hope I'm wrong
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 8:59pm On Mar 20, 2023
AkinDS:
I believe you are.
Based on what I have seen, his preference is to gently bring players on to help their levels of confidence (which is the approach any right thinking coach will take).
We saw that with Nicole Payne, Rofiat Imuran, Debbie Abiodun and Echegini)

Baba you are being clever by half. First, the comment you highlighted contextually is about Randy's future use of Onyi so you can't say I'm wrong on something that hasn't happened.

Secondly, I already established that Randy just like Rohr leverages on "experience" most times to his own detriment. Those players you mentioned are young al young players. Compere with a few others who Randy brought into the team.

Ifeoma Onumonu: she was introduced during the USA invitational. She featured in ALL the games and have started for Nigeria since then

Toni Payne: she featured in same USA invitational. Started all of them and has started ever since.

Mitchelle Alozie: featured in same friendly and has started since.

He obviously reposed confidence more in these players cause they were already professionals.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 10:49pm On Mar 20, 2023
I think you just debunked your argument about him going back to experienced players, based on the examples you gave of players who, once they demonstrated they belonged, became mainstays in the team. Its about steadily grooming new players into becoming regulars vs. shoving them into the deep-end and hoping they swim and not sink.
lovewins:

Baba you are being clever by half. First, the comment you highlighted contextually is about Randy's future use of Onyi so you can't say I'm wrong on something that hasn't happened.

Secondly, I already established that Randy just like Rohr leverages on "experience" most times to his own detriment. Those players you mentioned are young al young players. Compere with a few others who Randy brought into the team.

Ifeoma Onumonu: she was introduced during the USA invitational. She featured in ALL the games and have started for Nigeria since then

Toni Payne: she featured in same USA invitational. Started all of them and has started ever since.

Mitchelle Alozie: featured in same friendly and has started since.

He obviously reposed confidence more in these players cause they were already professionals.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 11:01pm On Mar 20, 2023
AkinDS:
I think you just debunked your argument about him going back to experienced players, based on the examples you gave of players who, once they demonstrated they belonged, became mainstays in the team. Its about steadily grooming new players into becoming regulars vs. shoving them into the deep-end and hoping they swim and not sink.

Again, you're being clever by half. I clearly highlighted how Randy's preference works. The aforementioned players are professionals in their own right and well experienced players. Onumonu is 28 had had played several seasons in the US. Payne is 27 and have played professional in Holland and Spain, Alozie (25) pales in comparison but even she is a professional attached to the Hosting Dash. The context of our discussion (Onyi) and the examples you referenced are mostly college players who Randy would rather not play (irrespective of how good they are and how deficient the alternative is) because of their inexperience.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 11:55am On Mar 21, 2023
🚨Herve Renard is close to becoming the coach of France women’s NT, replacing the recently dismissed Corinne Diacre.

The Athletic write that France’s players are happy with the choice of Renard, and will be appointed once an agreement with Saudi Arabia FA is reached.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:30pm On Mar 21, 2023
🚨Atlas Lionesses’ players posing with the FIFA Women’s World Cup during the trophy tour in Morocco over the weekend.

Morocco’s Royal Football Federation received the trophy at the Mohammed VI football complex, with the tour aimed at inspiring global excitement ahead of tourney.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 1:32pm On Mar 21, 2023
Congratulations to Coach Florence Omagbemi and the Beach FC 09G ECNL on winning their U14G bracket at the Jefferson Cup.

The 09G finished at the top of their bracket with 2 wins and 1 loss to advance to the Division finals. They would go on to win their championship with a 2-0 win vs United Futbol Academy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 1:38pm On Mar 21, 2023
Deltamani:
Congratulations to Coach Florence Omagbemi and the Beach FC 09G ECNL on winning their U14G bracket at the Jefferson Cup.

The 09G finished at the top of their bracket with 2 wins and 1 loss to advance to the Division finals. They would go on to win their championship with a 2-0 win vs United Futbol Academy.

It’s high time this Ladies take up a bigger Coaching job over there, maybe a University team in the NAIA or NCAA division 1 or 2..

Again how far have they gone on their Coaching badges??

Ann Cheijene, Uche Ngozi Eucharia are the only two Coaches I know have the highest Coaching badges in Africa, CAF Pro-License..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 1:54pm On Mar 21, 2023
A story: Once upon a time, according to @MarvellousMercy, she was at a @FIFAcom event, where she met up with former @Lionesses manager Hope Powell (pictured right). Mercy says Hope asked her why she was not coaching the @NGSuper_Falcons.

Before Powell asked her the question, Mercy had been told by @PinnickAmaju to tell Powell that he was keen on having her take over the @NGSuper_Falcons. When Mercy passed the message on, Powell told Akide that she was the one to take up the job.

Powell met @PinnickAmaju for a conversation & she told Pinnick the same thing. We can all see what came out of that conversation - nada, as we have the @PittTweet soccer coach managing the @NGSuper_Falcons on a part time basis, as if the team is a buka opening from 9am to 5pm.

Tweets from Osasu Obayiuwana

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 1:58pm On Mar 21, 2023
Deltamani:
A story: Once upon a time, according to @MarvellousMercy, she was at a @FIFAcom event, where she met up with former @Lionesses manager Hope Powell (pictured right). Mercy says Hope asked her why she was not coaching the @NGSuper_Falcons.

Before Powell asked her the question, Mercy had been told by @PinnickAmaju to tell Powell that he was keen on having her take over the @NGSuper_Falcons. When Mercy passed the message on, Powell told Akide that she was the one to take up the job.

Powell met @PinnickAmaju for a conversation & she told Pinnick the same thing. We can all see what came out of that conversation - nada, as we have the @PittTweet soccer coach managing the @NGSuper_Falcons on a part time basis, as if the team is a buka opening from 9am to 5pm.

Maybe they'll be uncomfortable with Mercy because of her husband @ColinUdoh (another truth teller like Osasu).
Certainly the ego clashing that's now in the Falcons won't last under Akide-Udoh. Infact, some of them, ol' war horses, might be turned out into the paddock immediately.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 2:03pm On Mar 21, 2023
Yeah, and we know where Obayiuwana gets all his information from - Colin Udoh.
Colin only happens to be the husband of Mercy Akide.
Even a 2 yr old kid would know the game Colin is pulling here - angling for his wife to be the Falcon's coach.

I beg, make pesin see road!
Deltamani:

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 2:53pm On Mar 21, 2023
AkinDS:
Even a 2 yr old kid would know the game Colin is pulling here - angling for his wife to be the Falcon's coach.

It wouldn’t be a Bad idea for Mercy to Coach the Superfalcons, I really want to see what she has to offer, but damn if they put her and Florence Omagbemi down I will pick Florence without thinking twice💯 as she has proven herself to be a serial winner 🏆

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 2:55pm On Mar 21, 2023
AkinDS:

Again this Ladies have a upper hand of doing well with the team especially from the aspects of them being Ex-internationals, they already knows the culture of the team in and out, They’re also well exposed, they would also want to prove to Nigeria 🇳🇬 that they’re good enough to handle the team and also the pressure that comes with playing and Coaching Nigeria is already in their Blood, is just for the 9ja FA to give them the needed environment to succeed…

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 3:16pm On Mar 21, 2023
AkinDS:

I think it's rather unfair to cast doubt on the credibility of renowned journalist like Collin and Osasu irrespective of our biases. I personally do not like Osasu's journalistic style as I feel he's sometimes too invasive, I'll however not cast doubt on his work. If he says he spoke to Mercy, then he did. Colin can also objectively report on the Falcons while rooting for his wife to get the Falcon's job. It doesn't have to be an either or situation. We only call him out if what is reported is factually untrue. I doubt if you can point to any of his reportage that is false.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 4:08pm On Mar 21, 2023
There is an obvious 'conflict of interest' issue with Colin here (that is without doubt).
If Osasu is getting his info from Colin and furthering it on to the public, then it calls to question their motives and by extension, their credibility.
lovewins:

I think it's rather unfair to cast doubt on the credibility of renowned journalist like Collin and Osasu irrespective of our biases. I personally do not like Osasu's journalistic style as I feel he's sometimes too invasive, I'll however not cast doubt on his work. If he says he spoke to Mercy, then he did. Colin can also objectively report on the Falcons while rooting for his wife to get the Falcon's job. It doesn't have to be an either or situation. We only call him out if what is reported is factually untrue. I doubt if you can point to any of his reportage that is false.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 4:17pm On Mar 21, 2023
Deltamani:
🚨Herve Renard is close to becoming the coach of France women’s NT, replacing the recently dismissed Corinne Diacre.

The Athletic write that France’s players are happy with the choice of Renard, and will be appointed once an agreement with Saudi Arabia FA is reached.
Renard meets Renard

What a timing!
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 4:25pm On Mar 21, 2023
AkinDS:
There is an obvious 'conflict of interest' issue with Colin here (that is without doubt). If Osasu is getting his info from Colin and furthering it on to the public, then it calls to question their motives and by extension, their credibility.

Conflicts like this exist everywhere, so it isn't peculiar to them. You can't ask that Colin quits his job neither can you ask for Mercy not to aspire to higher strides in her professional journey.

The denominator however is that Colin is expected to live up to the highest journalist ideals. It's why I asked you if you can't factually point out any story on the falcons that Colin falls short of this (I'll be waiting). Yes he criticizes Randy, but are they criticism devoid of facts?

Also, you were the one who claimed that Osasu was fed what to report by Colin when Osasu had just a few tweets before reported he caught up with Mercy and they had wide range conversations about the Falcons. You allowed your own bias colour your opinion and cast doubt on the professional integrity of 2 renowned journalist. Mind you, same Osasu had reported on NFF'S complicity in forcing Randy to work with an assistant coach that almost beat him up and how problematic that was.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:27pm On Mar 21, 2023
NXGN Nine 2023: The elite wonderkids in women’s football - Ameé Ruszkai

In previous years, GOAL has ranked the world’s top teenage talents in women’s football, with the likes of Lena Oberdorf, Melchie Dumornay and Hanna Bennison finishing as the eventual winners.

This year, though, instead of there being a sole victor, The NXGN Nine (an elite group selected out of 25 finalists for NXGN 2023 as those at the very top of the class) will debut.

The NXGN Nine:
🇧🇷Aline Gomes (17. Ferroviaria)
🇨🇴Linda Caicedo (18. Real Madrid)
🇯🇵Aoba Fujino (19. Tokyo Verdy Beleza)
🇳🇱Wieke Kaptein (17. Twente)
🇩🇪Franziska Kett (18. Bayern Munich)
🇪🇸Vicky Lopez (16. Barcelona)
🇨🇲Monique Ngock (18. Reims)
🇺🇸Jaedyn Shaw (18. San Diego Wave)
🇺🇸Alyssa Thompson (18. Angel City)

Rest of NXGN 2023 Finalists:
🇪🇸Julia Bartel (18. Barcelona)
🇮🇹Chiara Beccari (18. Juventus – loan at Como)
🇲🇹Haley Bugeja (18. Orlando Pride)
🇧🇷Dudinha (17. Sao Paulo)
🇫🇷Airine Fontaine (18. FC Fleury 91)
🇳🇴Signe Gaupset (17. Brann)
🇯🇵Maika Hamano (18. Chelsea – loan at Hammarby)
🇧🇷Jhonson (17. Toledo – loan at Corinthians)
🇺🇬Margret Kunihira (18. Kampala Queens)
🇫🇷Fiona Liaigre (18. Bordeaux)
🇪🇸Andrea Medina (18. Atletico Madrid)
🇺🇸Olivia Moultrie (17. Portland Thorns)
🇨🇴Gabriela Rodriguez (17. America de Cali)
🇳🇬Flourish Sabastine (18. Bayelsa Queens)
🇲🇽Alice Soto (16. Pachuca)
🇸🇪Bea Sprung (18. Rosengard)

(Note: All players born on or after January 1, 2004.)

https://www.goal.com/en-ng/lists/nxgn-nine-2023-elite-wonderkids-womens-football/blt1b239ff83e4fa7c9

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 4:40pm On Mar 21, 2023
Do you even fully understand the terms of employment in certain countries like the US?
This clearly falls under the code of conduct regulations and is arguably an ethics violation. I used the word arguably because a common thread could easily be drawn between his prior reporting of deriding Randy's record and his wife's aspiration of coaching the SF.
She did apply for the role after Dennerby left and lost out to Randy. Also, a good lawyer can easily establish a relationship between Colin and Osasu (who has severally acknowledged getting some of his info from Colin) and argue that Osasu is doing Colin's bidding for him and his wife.
Pretty sure Colin is not that important to his employer, ESPN and they would rather fire him than face a potential US scandal, especially when he has used their platform to criticize Randy on numerous occasions.
lovewins:

Conflicts like this exist everywhere, so it isn't peculiar to them. You can't ask that Colin quits his job neither can you ask for Mercy not to aspire to higher strides in her professional journey.

The denominator however is that Colin is expected to live up to the highest journalist ideals. It's why I asked you if you can't factually point out any story on the falcons that Colin falls short of this (I'll be waiting). Yes he criticizes Randy, but are they criticism devoid of facts?

Also, you were the one who claimed that Osasu was fed what to report by Colin when Osasu had just a few tweets before reported he caught up with Mercy and they had wide range conversations about the Falcons. You allowed your own bias colour your opinion and cast doubt on the professional integrity of 2 renowned journalist. Mind you, same Osasu had reported on NFF'S complicity in forcing Randy to work with an assistant coach that almost beat him up and how problematic that was.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 6:11pm On Mar 21, 2023
AkinDS:
Do you even fully understand the terms of employment in certain countries like the US?
This clearly falls under the code of conduct regulations and is arguably an ethics violation. I used the word arguably because a common thread could easily be drawn between his prior reporting of deriding Randy's record and his wife's aspiration of coaching the SF.
She did apply for the role after Dennerby left and lost out to Randy. Also, a good lawyer can easily establish a relationship between Colin and Osasu (who has severally acknowledged getting some of his info from Colin) and argue that Osasu is doing Colin's bidding for him and his wife.
Pretty sure Colin is not that important to his employer, ESPN and they would rather fire him than face a potential US scandal, especially when he has used their platform to criticize Randy on numerous occasions.

What you put up her is laughable. Lol

You are grasping at straws at this point. Do you even know how the law works? You think conjectures are admissible in the court of law? It won't even be heard.

And Colin is obviously not a dummy that he'll cross ethical lines that'll lead to him being fired. Like I have noted severally, his reportage on Randy had been factual, you subjective gleanings of bias doesn't change that. I've also asked that you bring up any of his report in Randy that is factually wrong, or that is below journalistic standards (I'm sure you can't find any).
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 8:37pm On Mar 21, 2023
The 1️⃣1️⃣ tonight! ⚡️
#RomaBarça

https://www.youtube.com/live/hvxZUqfRJUo?feature=share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 8:40pm On Mar 21, 2023
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 8:48pm On Mar 21, 2023
Asisat Oshoala arriving the Stadio Olimpico

1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:49pm On Mar 21, 2023
naptu2:
Asisat Oshoala arriving the Stadio Olimpico

She seems to have lost some of her pace, Get that Speed back girl that’s what you’re known for.. Anyway the Barcelona style of play is pretty much factor to that..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 10:05pm On Mar 21, 2023
how do you get your pace back ? it's impossible you can't hit your peak twice
Deltamani:

She seems to have lost some of her pace, Get that Speed back girl that’s what you’re known for.. Anyway the Barcelona style of play is pretty much factor to that..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by timay1: 12:16am On Mar 22, 2023
isan:
how do you get your pace back ? it's impossible you can't hit your peak twice

Exactly.

Pace comes with youth. You loose it as you get older. Nothing like getting back your pace
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:53am On Mar 22, 2023
WAFU delegates conduct facility inspection ahead of WAFU Zone B U-20 Women's Cup.

The West African Football Union (WAFU) Zone B delegates led by the Executive Director and the Competition Director, Boureima Balima and Mrs Patricia Heremien were in Kumasi to inspect some of the facilities (stadium and hostel) proposed to serve the organization of the first edition of WAFU Zone B U-20 Women's Cup scheduled for 20 May - 2 June 2023 in Ghana.

WAFU-B recently announced the creation of U-20 Women's Cup of Nations and the first edition will hold in Ghana from May 20 to June 2, 2023.

Benin Republic, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Niger Republic & Togo will be involved.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:18am On Mar 22, 2023
Nigerian youngster Joy Jerry has been presented to her new teammates at Changchun Women’s FC in China following her arrival from Edo Queens.

Jerry, 20, recently penned a one-year deal with an option of extending it for another two years after a successful medical.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 1:51pm On Mar 22, 2023
Your response would have been hilarious, if it wasn't really sad.
And yes, I am quite familiar with how ethical compliance regulations work here in the US - thanks for asking.
Truth is companies have let people go for much less. But of course, you would argue to the contrary.
Whatever rocks your boat, bro!
lovewins:

What you put up her is laughable. Lol

You are grasping at straws at this point. Do you even know how the law works? You think conjectures are admissible in the court of law? It won't even be heard.

And Colin is obviously not a dummy that he'll cross ethical lines that'll lead to him being fired. Like I have noted severally, his reportage on Randy had been factual, you subjective gleanings of bias doesn't change that. I've also asked that you bring up any of his report in Randy that is factually wrong, or that is below journalistic standards (I'm sure you can't find any).

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 1:55pm On Mar 22, 2023
AkinDS:
Your response would have been hilarious, if it wasn't really sad.
And yes, I am quite familiar with how ethical compliance regulations work here in the US - thanks for asking.
Truth is companies have let people go for much less. But of course, you would argue to the contrary.
Whatever rocks your boat, bro!

That's a rhetorical question bro. Of course I know you know how it works.

Let's agree to disagree

Cheers!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (638) (639) (640) (641) (642) (643) (644) ... (1073) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.