Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) (5350 Views)

Have You Ever Experienced Or Witnessed A Notable Miracle? / Are Atheists And Skeptics Just An Angry Bunch Or Are They Actually Realistic? / Atheists And Morality. A Question! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 2:00pm On Oct 12, 2016
Studies have proven that atheism has a correlation with higher intelligence as seen in prestigious and well respected sites
www.independent.co.uk and
www.dailymail.co.uk so its no wonder to see that atheists have been and are continually making ground breaking achievements and notable strides in world development..
Scientists tend to be/are more likely atheists or agnostics

a respected scientific body;The National academy of sciencs,US in its survey reported that 93% of it scientists were atheists or agnostics...that should ring a bell....

NOTABLE ATHEISTS AND THEIR ACHIEVEMENTS OF ATHEISTS

In Software/The Internet world

Seun Osewa(??-)----Nairaland;
The biggest and most visited indigenous platform in Africa...

.Mark Zuckerberg(1984-)---Facebook;
the most popular social networking site in the world.

.Jimmy Wales(1966-)---Wikipedia
The largest and most popular general reference work on the Internet.

.Steve Jobs(1955-)--Apple inc.
The world's largest information technology company(a weak atheist tho).

.Steve Wozniak (1950–): co-founder of Apple Inc..

.Bill Gates(1955-)--Microsoft
The world's largest PC software company(an agnostic).

.Aaron Swartz (1986–2012):Swartz was involved in the development of the web feed format RSS, the framework web.py and the social news site Reddit,.

.Alan Turing (1912–1954):the father of modern computer science.and the founder of artificial intelligence..
The fact that you're reading these words on a phone -- the fact that you can send email, text your loved ones in an emergency, do your banking in seconds instead of hours,and anything in relation to computer science and computers that have radically shaped and improved our lives -- is something you owe, in large part, to Alan Turing.

But even more inspiring is the work he did cracking
German codes during World War II.
And helped bl..eepep up hitler

The Turing Award, often recognized as the "Nobel Prize of computing", is named after him

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 2:04pm On Oct 12, 2016
Outstanding Breakthrough's in Biological field et Chemical Field
David R. Nalin (1941)
Nalin led the trials that first demonstrated ORT works, both in cholera patients, and more significantly, also in other dehydrating diarrhea
illnesses. Nalin's discoveries have been estimated to have saved over 50 million lives worldwide.
The so called God's couldnt

Fred Hollows (1929 – 1993),
known for his work in restoring eyesight for countless
thousands of people in Australia and many other countries.

.James D. Watson (1928–):
Nobel prize winner and co-discoverer of the structure of DNA.

.Francis Crick (1916–2004):
noted for being one of the co-discoverers of the structure of the DNA molecule and a Nobel prize winnner.

.Norman Pirie FRS (1907–1997):discoverer of viral crystallization, an important milestone in understanding DNA and RNA..

.Richard J. Roberts (1943–):
won the Nobel Prize for the discovery of introns in eukaryotic DNA and the mechanism of gene-splicing.

.George Washington Crile (1864–1943):Formally recognized as the first surgeon to have succeeded in a direct blood transfusion.

.Edward Donnall "Don" Thomas (1920 –2012) Thomas and his wife and research partner Dottie Thomas developed bone marrow transplantation as a treatment for leukemia..

.Rita Levi-Montalcini (1909–2012): received the 1986 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for the discovery of nerve growth factor (NGF).

Ian Wilmut (1944–):best known as the leader of the research group that in 1996 first cloned a mammal from an adult somatic cell, a Finnish Dorset lamb named Dolly..

.John Desmond Bernal (1901–1971): the ''father of X-ray crystallography '' in molecular biology..

.W. Grey Walter (1910–1977): famous for his work on brain waves, and robotician..

.james Chadwick (1891–1974): English physicist. He won the 1935 Nobel Prize in Physics for his discovery of the neutron..

.Henry Canvendish(1731-1810):
british scientist...discovered Hydrogen.

.Frédéric Joliot-Curie (1900–1958): won a Nobel Prize for Chemistry for the discovery of artificial radioactivity..

.Sir John Leslie (1766–1832):
best known for his research into heat;he was the first person to artificially produce ice

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 2:07pm On Oct 12, 2016
Inventions and Inventors

The World's Most Important Inventor,Thomas Edison;
He is responsible for some of the most important inventions in the world:they are just too many to list.

Alexander Graham Bell (1847 – 1922)
inventor of the first practical telephone..

.Emile Berliner---- known for developing the disc record gramophone (phonograph).

.Frank Whittle (1907–1996):
He is credited with independently
inventing the turbojet engine and is ''the father of jet propulsion''.

.John Logie Baird (1888–1946)
inventor of the world's first practical, publicly demonstrated television system, and also the world's first fully electronic
colour television tube.

.john bardeen ----won the Nobel Prize in Physics twice: first in 1956
with William Shockley and Walter Brattain for the invention of the transistor.

.Sir Humphry Davy (1778–1829)
Inventor of the davy lamp used by miners..
Discovered alkali's and alkali earth metals.

.Wallace carothers(1896-1937):
he is credited with the invention of nylon....

.Joseph Weber (1919–2000): developed the first gravitational wave detectors (Weber bars).

.Joseph-Michel Montgolfier (1740–1810):paper-manufacturer...he
made the first ascent in a balloon (warm air balloon).

.Lee de Forest (1873-1961)
with over 180 patents to
his credit;invented the Audion, a vacuum tube that takes relatively weak electrical signals and
amplifies them. De Forest is one of the fathers of the "electronic age", He is also credited with one of the principal inventions that brought sound to motion pictures.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 2:12pm On Oct 12, 2016
In Modern Science
Alan Turing (1912–1954):the father of modern computer science.and the founder of artificial intelligence..
The fact that you're reading these words on a phone -- the fact that you can send email, text your loved ones in an emergency, do your banking in seconds instead of hours,and anything in relation to computer science and computers that have radically shaped and improved our lives -- is something you owe, in large part, to Alan Turing.

But even more inspiring is the work he did cracking
German codes during World War II.
And helped bl..eepep up hitler

The Turing Award, often recognized as the "Nobel Prize of computing", is named after him.

.Santiago ramon cajal(1852-1934):he is the ''father of modern neuroscience''..he won the nobel prize in medicine in 1996.

.Niels Bohr (1885–1962): Best known for his foundational contributions to understanding atomic structure and quantum
mechanics,Won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1922.

.Claude Shannon (1916–2001): A mathematician,"the father of information theory", and
was the founder of practical digital circuit design theory.

.Erwin Schrödinger (1887–1961):
A pioneer of quantum mechanics and winner of the 1933 Nobel Prize for Physics.

.MMarshall Rosenbluth (1927–2003): nicknamed "the Pope of Plasma
Physics"..laid the foundations for instability theory in plasma physics..

.Steven Weinberg (1933–):won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1979 for the unification of electromagnetism and the weak force into the electroweak force..

.Edwin Powell Hubble (November 20, 1889 – September 28, 1953)
known for his immense contributions in cosmology;known as "Hubble's law" etc and the hubble telescope is named after him.

Joseph Louis Gay-Lussac (1772–1850):He is known mostly for two laws related to gases;Gay-lussac's Law..

.E. T. 'Teddy' Hall (1924–2001): famous for exposing the Piltdown Man fraud and the Shroud of Turin to be a medieval fake.

.Edmond Halley (1656–1742):Best known for computing the orbit of the Halley's Comet..

Stephen Hawking (1942–):
Yall know him....

.Peter Higgs (1929–):known for his prediction of the existence of a particle, the Higgs boson, nicknamed the "God particle"..

.Svante Arrhenius (1859-1927): Swedish scientist and the first Swedish Nobel Prize winner..

.James Watt,(1736-1819)
He developed the concept of horsepower and the
SI unit of power, the watt, was named after him..

.Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin (1900–1979):
known for correctly solving andshowing that the Sun is mainly composed of hydrogen, contradicting accepted wisdom at the time..

.Harlow Shapley (1885–1972) was an American astronomer.He correctly estimated the size of the Milky Way Galaxy and the sun's position,,he is the inventor of the concept of a habitable zone..

.Albert Abraham Michelson–-- known for his work on the measurement of the speed of light and especially
for the Michelson-Morley experiment; in 1907 he received the Nobel Prize in Physics(first american to do so)

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by ammyluv2002(f): 2:15pm On Oct 12, 2016
For God said to Moses, "I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose."

It's just hard work & God's Mercy whether they believe in Him or not #MyViewTho

2 Likes

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 2:15pm On Oct 12, 2016
In Literary Works

William 'Strata' Smith (1769–1839) credited with creating the first nationwide geological map.(distinct excerpt)

In our backyard here

Wole Soyinka (born 1934): Nigerian writer, poet and playwright. He was awarded the 1986 Nobel Prize in Literature..

.Nadine Gordimer (born 1923): South African writer She won the Nobel Prize in literature in 1991

Frederick James Furnivall (1825–1910):one of the co-creators of the Oxford English Dictionary..

.Henry Cadbury (1883–1974): a biblical scholar who contributed to the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible..

.Richard Dawkins (born 1941):popular scientist and an Author of books such as the popular best selling--The God Delusion (2006)..

.Simone de Beauvoir (1908–1986).Best known as the author of the revolutionary feminist book, The
Second Sex,1949; it paved th e
way for the women’s rights movement of the
1970s and continues to influence today’s activists

.George Bernard Shaw (1856–1950): He is the only person to have been awarded both a Nobel Prize in Literature (1925) and an Oscar (1938).

.Claude Simon (1913–2005):
The 1985 Nobel Laureate in Literature..

.Gao Xingjian (born 1940):
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2000..

.Albert Camus (1913–1960):
won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1957..

.Giosuè Carducci (1835–1907):
The first Italian to win the Nobel Prize in Literature.(1906).

.Anatole France (1844-1924):
Nobel Prize in Literature (1921)..

.Pär Lagerkvist (1891–1974):
won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1951..

.Roger Martin du Gard (1881–1958): winner of the 1937 Nobel Prize for Literature..

.Pablo Neruda (1904–1973):
1971, he won the Nobel Prize for Literature..

.Harold Pinter (1930–2008): Nobel Prize-winning English playwright,.

.José Saramago (1922–2010): Nobel Prize in Literature in 1998.

Luigi Pirandello (1867–1936):
Nobel Prize in Literature in 1934..

Jean-Paul Sartre (1905–1980),
1964 Nobel Prize in literature that he refused..

.Sam Harris (born 1967):
Neuroscientist and an author of Books promoting skeptism to blind faith.

.Christopher Hitchens (1949–2011):an author of Books promoting skeptism to blind faith

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 2:20pm On Oct 12, 2016
Nobel laureates with multiple Nobel
awards

It is astonishing to note that the four people who have won The nobel prize more than once...have all been ATHEISTS

MARIE CURIE(1867-1934)
''Mother Of Radioactivity''
She is the only person to win a Nobel Prize in two different sciences;Physics(1903) and Chemistry(1911)
discovered radium and polonium.

.Linus Carl Pauling (1901-1994)
''Father of Quantum chemistry''
and a pioneer of ''molecular biology''
The only person to win two unshared Nobel Prizes..

.John Bardeen(1908-1991)
won the nobel prize in physics in 1956 and 1972.
inventor of the transistor.

.Frederick Sanger(1918-2013)
Nobel Prize in Chemistry (1958),(1980)
known for his work on proteins;
esp the Amino acid sequence of insulin
(an ironical atheist)

this is just a few of the many atheists who have walked this earth and done wonderful things to earth...i didnt even mention people like karl max,nietzche and other important scientists,,sports men,,etc...
The fact is that atheists and atheism has been instrumental to the development to the world,
undestanding nature and the universe..despite their small numbers unlike some group of persons who prefer the term ''GOD DID IT'' and who say this life is not worth it..

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 2:22pm On Oct 12, 2016
Other wonderful atheists can be found here...Lists_of_atheists

famous irreligious thinkers

famous skeptics

CC: Seun , Plaetton , Johnydon22 ilovetheline,JackBizzle, Kay17, AgentOfAllah, Ayomikun37 ,
hahn , sonOfLucifer , frank317 muskeeto , Decker ,PastorAIO , ValentineMary , Pyrrho , braithwaite , dragonEmperor , theoneJabulani , lepasharon ,
cloudgoddess , ifenes , Hopefullandlord , brigance , stephenmorris , thehomer , dalaman , Ranchhoddas,CAPSLOCKED , lilbrown007 , Elohim1,RaphieMontella , Weah96 , SirWere , sonofluc1fer lennycool desepiero onetrack coolusername Antiparticle Accidentalgenius
4kings

#THEPOWEROFATHEISTS

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 2:24pm On Oct 12, 2016
ammyluv2002:
For God said to Moses, "I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose."

its a lie...
Its their hardwork maa'm..
Hardwork pays..not belief and hope in a deity...

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by hahn(m): 2:30pm On Oct 12, 2016
ammyluv2002:

Which god? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by brodalikeme(m): 2:42pm On Oct 12, 2016
Ok, I hear you. I will be waiting for the part two of your write up Titled-Atheist that amounted to nothing in life. Op, you think been opposed to God or denying his existence makes someone smart. Well done eh!

Between, not all of them are atheist or agnostics, check yr facts again.
Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by hahn(m): 2:50pm On Oct 12, 2016
brodalikeme:
Ok, I hear you. I will be waiting for the part two of your write up Titled-Atheist that amounted to nothing in life. Op, you think been opposed to God or denying his existence makes someone smart. Well done eh!

Wetin do your hand? undecided
Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by Scholar8200(m): 2:52pm On Oct 12, 2016
This thread does not belong in this section

2 Likes

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 2:55pm On Oct 12, 2016
brodalikeme:
if you know who simone de beauvior is...you'd know her atheism made her become a pioneer of female rights..
no one opposes God...he's not there..thats all

kindly bring out the one which is not!
#Yimu
be talking shvt you hear?

1 Like

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by CAPSLOCKED: 2:59pm On Oct 12, 2016
ammyluv2002:

HONEY THIS COMMENT IS CLASSLESS. SERIOUSLY.

SO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT HE ENJOYS SHOWING MERCY TO UNBELIEVERS, WHILE LETTING THE POOR KIDS DIE IN AFRICA?
HABA NOW IT'S A FCCKED UP IDEA. I REMEMBER BOASTING IN MY DEPARTMENT BACK THEN HOW I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO DOESN'T GET C-O'S.. EVEN THOUGH I DON'T PRAY FOR ANY EXAMS OR TAKE EXAM PENS TO THE CHURCH FOR BLESSINGS LIKE THE OTHERS DO. I CAME OUT BEST STUDENT OF MY SET.
THEY KEPT BAGGING ALL THE FAILS WHILE ACCUSING ME OF WORKING WITH THE DEVIL.
MEANWHILE THE SECRET WAS THAT I DON'T READ AND STOP WHEN I GET TIRED, LEAVING THE REST FOR GOD CUZ I FEEL I'VE DONE MY BEST. NO.
I DON'T STOP EVEN WHEN I'M TIRED CUZ I'M MY OWN HELPER, MY OWN GOD.. AND ONLY ME COULD SAVE ME.

WHY SHOW ME MERCY WHEN I DON'T NEED YOU?
WHY NOT CONSIDER THE ONES WHO REALLY NEED YOU, WHO PRAY AND SACRIFICE EVERYTHING TO YOU?

I'M NOT UNDERSTANDING AGAIN.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 2:59pm On Oct 12, 2016
Scholar8200:
This thread does not belong in this section
oga do you remember this thread?
www.nairaland.com/3299993/what-prominent-achievements-made-atheists

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by ValentineMary(m): 3:00pm On Oct 12, 2016
Nice post OP but u left out Albert Einstein.
Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by Scholar8200(m): 3:03pm On Oct 12, 2016
Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by Weah96: 3:04pm On Oct 12, 2016
hahn:

Wetin do your hand? undecided

grin grin grin
Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by CAPSLOCKED: 3:06pm On Oct 12, 2016
ValentineMary:

WHEN IT CAME TO RELIGION, ALBERT WAS A CONFUSED MAN.

1 Like

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 3:07pm On Oct 12, 2016
ValentineMary:
issh!!
I left out the major guy sef
Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 3:22pm On Oct 12, 2016
Scholar8200:
okay
yep...so i dont think it is on the wrong section!
Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 12, 2016
Nice one op but here are notable mentions.

Albert Einstein
Richard Feyman
Prof Lawrence Krauss
Prof Michu Kaku
Socrates (The very first Atheist that ever lived and died for it)
Eddie Griffin (most intelligent comendian)
Hopsin
Action Bronson
Sigmund Freud
Carl Jung
Barrack Obama (closeted Atheist, Politically Christian....he was raised in atheist home)
Neil Dagresse Tyson (smartest black man)
Dead Prez
Rafeal Nadal
Bruce Lee
And My humble self.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by mrmrmister: 3:46pm On Oct 12, 2016
ammyluv2002:

God said to moses... grin grin
Were you there?

4 Likes

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by felixomor: 3:48pm On Oct 12, 2016
hahn:

Which god? undecided

The one u always talk about.

1 Like

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by Edenoscar(m): 4:03pm On Oct 12, 2016
raphieMontella:

issh!!
I left out the major guy sef
i demand to know why Neil deGrasse Tyson is not in that list

3 Likes

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by hahn(m): 4:05pm On Oct 12, 2016
felixomor:

The one u always talk about.
Zeus? tongue

1 Like

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by felixomor: 4:08pm On Oct 12, 2016
hahn:

Zeus? tongue

Coward.

1 Like

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by hahn(m): 4:11pm On Oct 12, 2016
felixomor:

Coward.
Mugu

2 Likes

Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 4:15pm On Oct 12, 2016
Edenoscar:
i demand to know why Neil deGrasse Tyson is not in that list
they are too much ni i knew i omitted a lot of them..
Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by raphieMontella: 4:18pm On Oct 12, 2016
aaronson:
Nice one op but here are notable mentions.

Albert Einstein
Richard Feyman
Prof Lawrence Krauss
Prof Michu Kaku
Socrates (The very first Atheist that ever lived and died for it)
Eddie Griffin (most intelligent comendian)
Hopsin
Action Bronson
Sigmund Freud
Carl Jung
Barrack Obama (closeted Atheist, Politically Christian....he was raised in atheist home)
Neil Dagresse Tyson (smartest black man)
Dead Prez
Rafeal Nadal
Bruce Lee
And My humble self.

i say...if i start to list ehn...
I got tired...
atheists have been fundamental to the universe...
Re: Notable Atheists And Their Achievements(undiluted) by felixomor: 4:28pm On Oct 12, 2016
hahn:

Mugu

U r not even man enough to defend ur 'religion'
Mscheww.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

8 Important Ways We Can Live in Faith As Christians. / Atheism Is Madness / Are Africans Confused?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.