Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,489 members, 7,770,204 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:19 AM

Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? - Health (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? (58419 Views)

Coronavirus: Men Develop A New And Safer Way Of Greeting / 7 Reasons Why Most Nigerian Ladies Lose Shape After Marriage / 5 Reasons Why Most Nigerian Guys Have Body Odour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by ibolomo(m): 1:15pm On Oct 20, 2016
Nateben:

I got them from BBM stickers
not really a bbm guy. thanks
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by anonymuz(m): 1:53pm On Oct 20, 2016
1. Drinking Too Much Alcohol Beer isn’t the only culprit,carboneted drinks too.
2. Eating Too Many Bad Carbohydrates(Eating biscuits, cakes, donuts, white bread and other refined carb
3. Sedentary Lifestyle(If you lead a sedentary lifestyle, you are raising your chances of dying younger, yet you can easily avoid this by simply moving more and exercising regularly)
4. Genetics(Genetics play a role in deciding where the fat distribution goes in your body, and it practically relates to two different body types.)

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 20, 2016
mrkel:

Have you tried doing Planking? Is very efficacious if you are desirous of burning ballooning stomach.
I am going to be serious with both suggestions, and report my experience.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by baum1: 2:36pm On Oct 20, 2016
Billyonaire:
I am going to be serious with both suggestions, and report my experience.

Guy or big bros, don't get discouraged ooh if you could only manage 2 minutes in your first planking. Just do the proper form. Gradually, you will build to 5 minutes at a go, say after 6 months. I cannot guarantee that you will reach a 10 minute plank in your life smiley, but I know everything is possible if you mean it and set your mind to it.

For instance, world record for male category is 4 hours 26 minutes..Debatable though. The American guy that had the world record at 3 hours+ said the new record holder didn't hold the plank in the right format. Female category is 1 hour 20 minutes 2 seconds, 16 year old girl, American. I wonder how these people achieve this.

Grading and categories for plank can be found in the link below

http://physicalliving.com/how-long-should-i-hold-the-plank-exercise-for/

John Sifferman’s Totally Unofficial Plank Time Standards
Newbie: 30+ seconds
Beginner: 1+ minute
Intermediate: 3+ minutes
Advanced: 5+ minutes
Expert: 10+ minutes
Master: 20+ minutes
Wicked Sick: 30+ minutes
Superhuman: 40+ minutes
Olympian: 50+ minutes
Plank Immortal: 1 hour or longer
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by oluplus(m): 2:45pm On Oct 20, 2016
just want to read comments
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by bigerboy200: 3:33pm On Oct 20, 2016
ModestGal:

You wanna knw why?This is why
Ur wife is mad at you that for like past two month,they only eat rice once a week,u think you can jog,u did dat twice and you stopped whn all you were thinking is why the hell the rice is this costly?so because you need som motivation,You wil start seeing the reason why theres a need for threadmill. I hate it when people judge others with thier own evaluation of life,or things happening around them.You need to read more on the psychological reason for obesity,do you even knw that some people wont just loose weight even though they are jogging,do u knw how hard loosing bellyfat is for some people,even though they are exercising?Am a fitness preacher as well,was once overweigh,nd i know alot about Physical fitnes and mental fitness,bt i preach my own fitness in a calming manner,alot is going on with people inside of them,we jst cant see it.
Alright.I think i quite understand ur point of view now...learning everyday.. Thanks
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Loonyy(m): 3:53pm On Oct 20, 2016
hero
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by diva90: 4:11pm On Oct 20, 2016
Avalon316:

While you seek for that answer I would advice that you stand naked in front of a standing mirror and tell me what you see.

Stop looking for a guy with six packs when you have big tummy.
Stop looking for a guy with chiseled chest when you b00b are already drooping
Unfortunately, sexiness is all about getting fat for you naija babes. Once you have too much flesh in the buttocks and thigh, you are sexy.....what a world.

Let's get something straight, I have been working out in the last 7 years and I am very fit but the same can't be said of 99% of girls.

Does that 99% include all the females in your household? cheesy
If it does then I can agree with you
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by diva90: 4:12pm On Oct 20, 2016
Avalon316:

Btw, what did you do to shymmex the other day? The guy pummeled so tey I come dey feel sorry for you.

Lol! Feel sorry? Why? That one is a mad sick psycho that needs urgent rehabilitation.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by paix(m): 4:15pm On Oct 20, 2016
havennie:
Thank u for this thread Op.
For me, any guy with a protruding stomach that comes my way in the name of toasting me, i turn him down immediately, i dont want to know about his money or family name. I just get irritated at the sight of it seriously.
Just like the way flat chested women irritate the men also. Maybe that's why they resort to using balloons.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Dinobi77: 5:18pm On Oct 20, 2016
My galfrnd has this big tummy that iritates me, n like i said i had a big tummy as at about 3months ago. And since i got rid of it, i try to pity those with it. This my gal gets angry each time i tell her to work on hersef, she will tell me to go n get a flat tummy gal that she likes the way she is. I really dont knw how to make her work on hersef.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 5:24pm On Oct 20, 2016
soberdrunk:
On behalf of all my APBL(association of pot belly lords) brothers and as the president of APBL(unmarried chapter) i will like to inform you that "pot belly" is not a 'condition' or an ailment but a "choice", we cannot all have the bodies like bricklayers or bouncers, some of us are made to be chubby and we like it like that. Variety is the spice of life and "body shaming" is a crime against humanity!! angry angry
tiri gbosa
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by anonimi: 5:48pm On Oct 20, 2016
Ishilove:
Gates and Mark are Billionaires.. The dude you quoted is a Billyonaire. Dem no dey the same category grin

Thanks for pointing that error of interpretation to me. grin
Ngbo, billyonaire, what are you really

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4305992_images65_jpeg32161d215ae988d757493e97d34e693a

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4170338_img2016082917371832_jpegf599f7553587533df0ba62385af4fe8a

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 20, 2016
Their wives feed them Eba! And they like to drink beer *trophy*
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 20, 2016
baum1:

Guy or big bros, don't get discouraged ooh if you could only manage 2 minutes in your first planking. Just do the proper form. Gradually, you will build to 5 minutes at a go, say after 6 months. I cannot guarantee that you will reach a 10 minute plank in your life smiley, but I know everything is possible if you mean it and set your mind to it.

For instance, world record for male category is 4 hours 26 minutes..Debatable though. The American guy that had the world record at 3 hours+ said the new record holder didn't hold the plank in the right format. Female category is 1 hour 20 minutes 2 seconds, 16 year old girl, American. I wonder how these people achieve this.

Grading and categories for plank can be found in the link below

http://physicalliving.com/how-long-should-i-hold-the-plank-exercise-for/

John Sifferman’s Totally Unofficial Plank Time Standards
Newbie: 30+ seconds
Beginner: 1+ minute
Intermediate: 3+ minutes
Advanced: 5+ minutes
Expert: 10+ minutes
Master: 20+ minutes
Wicked Sick: 30+ minutes
Superhuman: 40+ minutes
Olympian: 50+ minutes
Plank Immortal: 1 hour or longer

Thanks Thanks Thanks, I tried the planking for 2 minutes. And trust me, when you said its tough, I never believed until I turned on Youtube to follow the routine, I couldnt handle up to 3 minutes at the first go. If this is what I need daily morning to get rid of the last 4kg of weight, I'm put it on my routine. Thanks again
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 20, 2016
diva90:

Does that 99% include all the females in your household? cheesy
If it does then I can agree with you

Let's leave the people in our household because I'm sure your dad has never had two packs ,not to talk of six packs.

Mention any of my family members and I will call shymm3xx for you. Lol
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by ModestGal(f): 7:24pm On Oct 20, 2016
bigerboy200:

Alright.I think i quite understand ur point of view now...learning everyday.. Thanks
wow!!!..... I think I hav you more to thank bcx realy i wasnt expcting a calming textback,i ws expcting smthg like ***Go to hell***,Thats nairalanders, som just love using the negative words more on people theve nvr met before,so Thanks alot sir,for not shutting me down,Lots of lov

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by kokomilala(m): 8:27pm On Oct 20, 2016
Those saying there's nothing wrong with protruding bellies should know that 2 things are in the firing line here:their health and physique.The first goal of exercise is to secure the health of the human body before aesthetics come in.
Apart from the hideous bulge, there's nothing glorious or graceful about it.And, I'm saying it bluntly, not to suffer fools gladly.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by prela(f): 9:39pm On Oct 20, 2016
soberdrunk:
On behalf of all my APBL(association of pot belly lords) brothers and as the president of APBL(unmarried chapter) i will like to inform you that "pot belly" is not a 'condition' or an ailment but a "choice", we cannot all have the bodies like bricklayers or bouncers, some of us are made to be chubby and we like it like that. Variety is the spice of life and "body shaming" is a crime against humanity!! angry angry

see how many likes you got for this comment......talk about guys on nairaland having double standards. I remember that any post that has something to do with women's weight, they are quick to say "women can eat for Africa" "there is no excuse for being fat" "there is nothing like I have the tendency to be fat or we are all fat in my family " "women Are lazy and don't exercise" but now that it has to do with them they agree........continuu
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by soberdrunk(m): 10:29pm On Oct 20, 2016
prela:

see how many likes you got for this comment......talk about guys on nairaland having double standards. I remember that any post that has something to do with women's weight, they are quick to say "women can eat for Africa" "there is no excuse for being fat" "there is nothing like I have the tendency to be fat or we are all fat in my family " "women Are lazy and don't exercise" but now that it has to do with them they agree........continuu

I see you are one of the "Equal Rights" crusaders grin grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by baum1: 12:20am On Oct 21, 2016
Billyonaire:

Thanks Thanks Thanks, I tried the planking for 2 minutes. And trust me, when you said its tough, I never believed until I turned on Youtube to follow the routine, I couldnt handle up to 3 minutes at the first go. If this is what I need daily morning to get rid of the last 4kg of weight, I'm put it on my routine. Thanks again

You're welcome bro.

Wow, you're impressive. You did 2 minutes on your first try, cool. Many plankers didn't manage that in their first try. Though it can be hard, if you continue at this rate, you will soon reach advanced level (5 minutes) and start nearing expert and master.

Don't forget to hold your stomach tucked in while doing the good form plank. If you repeat this for 3 months, you will push in the protruding belly and then your midsection will start getting strong. It works.

When you start doing at least 4 minutes at a go, which should take the next 2 months at least if you maintain a proper form, then come back to me again. We can start a skype planking routine and have other nairalanders join.

Happy planking!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by diva90: 12:43am On Oct 21, 2016
Avalon316:

Let's leave the people in our household because I'm sure your dad has never had two packs ,not to talk of six packs.

Mention any of my family members and I will call shymm3xx for you. Lol

My dad is more fit than you are. You can only speak for yourself and your pot belly grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Nobody: 1:30am On Oct 21, 2016
diva90:

My dad is more fit than you are. You can only speak for yourself and your pot belly grin

Really, he fuc.ks you ?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by diva90: 1:39am On Oct 21, 2016
Avalon316:

Really, he fuc.ks you ?

Yea same way your father bleeps your sister too smiley
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by wolexy2020(m): 4:16am On Oct 21, 2016
ModestGal:

You wanna knw why?This is why
Ur wife is mad at you that for like past two month,they only eat rice once a week,u think you can jog,u did dat twice and you stopped whn all you were thinking is why the hell the rice is this costly?so because you need som motivation,You wil start seeing the reason why theres a need for threadmill. I hate it when people judge others with thier own evaluation of life,or things happening around them.You need to read more on the psychological reason for obesity,do you even knw that some people wont just loose weight even though they are jogging,do u knw how hard loosing bellyfat is for some people,even though they are exercising?Am a fitness preacher as well,was once overweigh,nd i know alot about Physical fitnes and mental fitness,bt i preach my own fitness in a calming manner,alot is going on with people inside of them,we jst cant see it.
。 please tell them oh! . They just sit at home behind their phone and judge people based on their lifestyle. Some people don't even have enough time to get a proper meal talk more of time to jog or do exercise . I do have belly fat and I love it that way. Growing up in an Environment like naija coupled with lifestyle and other factors please don't tell me to go and jog in a -25 degrees weather. Am I Ronaldo ?. What works for you won't work for everyone else ,Simple! . I hope the OP meets her Mr. 6 pack.As for me, When I get home today, gonna sit down with a cup of wine and watch TV. shocked
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by ModestGal(f): 5:36am On Oct 21, 2016
wolexy2020:
。 please tell them oh! . They just sit at home behind their phone and judge people based on their lifestyle. Some people don't even have enough time to get a proper meal talk more of time to jog or do exercise . I do have belly fat and I love it that way. Growing up in an Environment like naija coupled with lifestyle and other factors please don't tell me to go and jog in a -25 degrees weather. Am I Ronaldo ?. What works for you won't work for everyone else ,Simple! . I hope the OP meets her Mr. 6 pack.As for me, When I get home today, gonna sit down with a cup of wine and watch TV. shocked
Funny,that makes me remembr som time ago when i was learning somthing,no time to cook at all,all i eat is junks,and sleep in the night wit water only,But seriously bro,you dont have to love your belly fat ehn, Its not good to ones health,it predisposes one to som health risks,so pls do well in trying to loose it,pm me if u ae serious,i can help out with simple ways you can easily loose it,its bettr to loose weight when one is young cx older people are prons to saggy skins and recovering from muscle,joint pains wil take longer time for them,unlike me dat after doing taekwando,i only feel happier with the muscle and joinpains,it makes me feel strong
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by wolexy2020(m): 6:15am On Oct 21, 2016
ModestGal:

Funny,that makes me remembr som time ago when i was learning somthing,no time to cook at all,all i eat is junks,and sleep in the night wit water only,But seriously bro,you dont have to love your belly fat ehn, Its not good to ones health,it predisposes one to som health risks,so pls do well in trying to loose it,pm me if u ae serious,i can help out with simple ways you can easily loose it,its bettr to loose weight when one is young cx older people are prons to saggy skins and recovering from muscle,joint pains wil take longer time for them,unlike me dat after doing taekwando,i only feel happier with the muscle and joinpains,it makes me feel strong
. Yes oh , I actually live a healthy lifestyle and I sleep well... Na small belly fat , not pot belly oh,abeg check my picture. God forbid pot belly for me grin grin... I take less cholesterol and eat about 2400 calories per day. In China , drinking wine once in a while is actually good for the body. . Na this type of person OP won marry shocked shocked. C

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by Jamiulkhayraat(m): 9:40pm On Oct 21, 2016
[quote author=Cutehector post=50342549]lol a girl once turned me down because of my pot belly.. she said, I can't date guys who are pregnant.

One month later, my stomach is as flat as anythn..

Point is, hitting the nail on d head abt someone's predicament will make dem change sharply..

I don't hide my feelings when I notice a girl is fat, will tell it to her wholeheartedly, babe, u Don fat ooo.. [How did u do it?]
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by GrandMaztaC(m): 4:44pm On Oct 22, 2016
Sometimes I wonder what's inside of these pot bellies, air abi na water or yamahama
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by remedick: 2:56am On Oct 23, 2016
ebim:

Hello, i lived (i still do) a sendentary lifestyle and eat lots of junk(carbohydrate) especially at night so i grew fat.
Anyway when i started watching my weight 4weeks ago, i lost over 3kg in less than 2 weeks with no exercise and staying in one place. In the 3rd week the scale wouldn't just reduce, i stopped frying my meals and some other things yet it didn't move till this monday.
What did i do?
I knew i just had to put in exercises because i eat healthy,so i downloaded some workout apps and follow their exercise routine , i have one for morning and night. Instead of using car for everywhere i go ( i hardly do) i trek till i am tired and then take taxi. I can walk home from where i go to ( i normally like walking), it is far but i like it, it frees my mind, but because of the really hot sun at that time of day i usually cut it short. Between monday and today i av lost over 1kg( almost 2kg).

In essence, start with ditching carbohydrates, fanta ,coke, drinks in general. Also ditch your car or public transport(whatever you use) and walk for a while(it saves money too). Get workout videos or like me, download amazing apps. If you are too lazy to start exercises focus on your meals. Some people do ketogenic diet too(i personally can't do it), there is a facebook group, i can give you the name.

I am still learning and i plan to be fit for a long time.
thanks. I used to be very skinny but currently dont like the shape of my tummy, like a 1 month pregnancy lol. If I eat and drink water oh my God.

Its not much though but I need to burn some calories and yeah, I love to walk,run, play football ( I would be in this shape if still play ball, its been 2 years now). I think jogging at under the sun will do. I am never afraid of the sun.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by ModestGal(f): 8:47pm On Oct 27, 2016
wolexy2020:
. Yes oh , I actually live a healthy lifestyle and I sleep well... Na small belly fat , not pot belly oh,abeg check my picture. God forbid pot belly for me grin grin... I take less cholesterol and eat about 2400 calories per day. In China , drinking wine once in a while is actually good for the body. . Na this type of person OP won marry shocked shocked. C
funny you bro
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Men Develop A Pot Belly Stomach So Early? by longerthroat(m): 9:55pm On Nov 10, 2016
rawpadgin:
i can feed u for a year

Atinga like you... Na you indomie see finish come produce hungry man size.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Launching Of Obijackson Children Hospital In Anambra, Nigeria (Photos) / Why NCDC Doesn’t Want To Lift The Lockdown / Gynaecologist Warns Women Not To Remove Their Pubic Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.