Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,984 members, 7,828,485 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? (11292 Views)

How Long Does It Take To Charge A Dead Car Battery? / 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. / Car Battery Voltage / Alternator Monitor ((2K ONLY) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by emmabest2000(m): 7:16am On Oct 24, 2016
Alal:
Oga,buy another one,the old one is rechargeable but will not last and you must have spent money and if you're buying new one,go to battery company cos our brothers that sell this know how they rebore battery. Take heed.

1 Like

Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by ManTiger(m): 7:18am On Oct 24, 2016
I have the same issue with my 12v 100ah deep cycle.
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by honmusa(m): 7:20am On Oct 24, 2016
Rahym001:

was told it was the alternator but i have just bought a new one and replaced it.
Though my car has security but was told its not the cause.

Thanks honmusa
As you have changed your alternator ,look for a competent technician to check for any evidence of parasitic drain in your wiring system .A parasitics drain is any avenue for your battery to discharge inappropriately after your have switched off all your accessories ,a parasitic will reduce the lifespan of your battery even if you have original tear rubber battery .
If you need a competent profession to check for you ,contact autologic @08061166316
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by adanny01(m): 7:25am On Oct 24, 2016
Shake the battery, if you hear liquid movement then it might be revived by changing electrolyte.

The battery charge indicator only has access to 1 cell of 6. The other 5 will have to be punctured using a hot metal. Resealing is always the major problem as it causes leakages which is corrosive to metal.

You will then need to buy electrolyte and replace.

Lastly, portable generators such as Sumec firman have DC chargers on some models. Do this connection and charge for at least 4hrs. The generator will know that there is a very low charge and will charge at 15.9v.

This process will not give you a 100% revived battery. With luck, 50%.

For the alternator, all you need to do is go to an electronics repairer, use his multimeter. Ask him to set it to 20v DC. While the car is idling (they call it slow or steaming), test the termimals. You should expect anything between 13.5-14.5v. If the alternator is bad, you will have less than 13.5v.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by Imoala: 7:26am On Oct 24, 2016
My brother I had similar issue, I had to buy an alternator and a new battery after the battery chargers or electrician killed the battery in the guise of repairing it and they will still buy it 1000 naira from which is their aim

If they can charge it just go and buy a second hand or new battery

1 Like

Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by Rahym001(m): 7:27am On Oct 24, 2016
moscobabs:
op are u really sure is your battery that's faulty?

last Thursday I took my car out although the battery was weak cos is been a while I parked the car without removing the terminal , so I branched in a shop to buy some items but it wasn't funny when. I start the car and refused to start. my mind straight is that the battery is having problem and I asked for battery chargers around who asked me to pay #700 after a lot of negotiation.

he installed the battery but the car refused to start until I called rewire who leta confirmed the the kick starter is faulty. I need to spend extra 6k to fix it.

I will suggest u try another battery so u can be sure battery is the problem

check if the alternator is working well since u said your battery is just 6months

check your kick starter

Best of luck

yes i tried another battery before it could start
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by Estimable(m): 7:30am On Oct 24, 2016
Rahym001:

the battery is not yet 6months, still contains electrolyte.

Tanks
Check if ur alternator is good, as in whether it's charging.
Then go charge the ba3 in an electricians shop.
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by tobolos(m): 7:40am On Oct 24, 2016
I use to replace my batteries every 6 months until I carried out a root cause analysis. I noticed that anytime I forget to remove the battery terminal when parked, the battery always get drained. So, one day after parking, I kept observing the car every 10 minutes to investigate the problem. That is when I discovered that the 5 CD changers was just selecting on it own. All I did was to remove the loader and the rest is history.

1 Like

Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by honmusa(m): 8:42am On Oct 24, 2016
adanny01:
Shake the battery, if you hear liquid movement then it might be revived by changing electrolyte.

The battery charge indicator only has access to 1 cell of 6. The other 5 will have to be punctured using a hot metal. Resealing is always the major problem as it causes leakages which is corrosive to metal.

You will then need to buy electrolyte and replace.

Lastly, portable generators such as Sumec firman have DC chargers on some models. Do this connection and charge for at least 4hrs. The generator will know that there is a very low charge and will charge at 15.9v.

This process will not give you a 100% revived battery. With luck, 50%.

For the alternator, all you need to do is go to an electronics repairer, use his multimeter. Ask him to set it to 20v DC. While the car is idling (they call it slow or steaming), test the termimals. You should expect anything between 13.5-14.5v. If the alternator is bad, you will have less tha n 13.5v.
Even bad alternator will give 14.5v ,the best method is to load the battery with accessories and confirm the alternator voltage ,a good alternator should not fall below 13v.The theory is that the charging alternator voltage should be always be well above the battery it is charging all load conditions
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by K024(m): 8:50am On Oct 24, 2016
mayor2013:
The shelf life of a conventional baterry is 4months. After this period batteries are meant to be subjected to optimum charge using a battery charger once in a while. Your car's alternator cannot give your battery an optimum charge. That's one of the reason why most batteries do not last in Nigeria asides from the it being substandard

What is the your source of information sir?
4 months battery life? Regular visit to battery charger? A healthy car alternator can't give battery an optimum charge?

All these assertions do not resemble my own experience o. Please educate me.

2 Likes

Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by Macky4real: 8:52am On Oct 24, 2016
How do u check d alternator?
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by mayor2013: 8:54am On Oct 24, 2016
K024:

What is the your source of information sir?
4 months battery life? Regular visit to battery charger? A healthy car alternator can't give battery an optimum charge?

All these assertions do not resemble my own experience o. Please educate me.

When I say battery charger. I meant equipment not your road side kazeem battery charger. Get trained to get a much better experience perhaps you just a car owner. Read more about battery and charging system on cars wink
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by mayor2013: 8:55am On Oct 24, 2016
Macky4real:
How do u check d alternator?

Simple. By using a load tester, multimeter, a professional scan tool can also be used
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by Jaftee(m): 9:01am On Oct 24, 2016
Your battery can be recharge and perform with almost same efficiency if a good technician work on it with a quality electrolyte
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by sorepco(m): 9:24am On Oct 24, 2016
But if u repAir it it will last for 8-12 months.

Baawaa:
Is it a dry cell or water one Battery charger told me is repairable but he said is advisable to buy new one because repairing it might not solve the problem.
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by moscobabs(m): 9:29am On Oct 24, 2016
Rahym001:

yes i tried another battery before it could start

gud try if the alternator is working well
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by Baawaa(m): 9:48am On Oct 24, 2016
sorepco:
But if u repAir it it will last for 8-12 months.

For where,if it works that way nobody will be buying new battery
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by lookmangiw(m): 9:56am On Oct 24, 2016
lielbree:
Nope. Just find 12k buy new one
a new battery goes for 23k and above now for a 75 amps battery
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by sam2rose: 9:59am On Oct 24, 2016
battery can be repair .so take it to good battery charger, and tell to check if there is dis connection between the cells first before charging if not he will damage the battery more .that is the battery plastic container will break while charging it.
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by adanny01(m): 10:05am On Oct 24, 2016
honmusa:

Even bad alternator will give 14.5v ,the best method is to load the battery with accessories and confirm the alternator voltage ,a good alternator should not fall below 13v.The theory is that the charging alternator voltage should be always be well above the battery it is charging all load conditions

WDR I don't think any bad alternator will give 14.5v except for overcharging faults. A test will catch the alternator giving voltages over the normal limits. Most bad alternators are because the voltage is low. A bad alternator is identified by its voltage only.

Talking about load, an alternator is not designed to carry load, it only partially does that. The car battery carries the load while the alternator charges the battery. That's the reason a car cannot totally run without battery especially recent models which highly depend on electronics. If you load an alternator, you will be killing it. That's why even manufacturers recommend boosting/jumping a battery to start it instead of the process that involves disconnecting battery during idle.

A good 12v battery should have a voltage from 12.5-12.8v and good charging voltage from 13.5 to 14.5v. Any thing less than that on battery side is a weak or bad battery. On the charging side, its possible to have voltage fluctuations to less than 13.5v during high engine RPM as the alternator is designed to regulate it's voltage. The best is to test it at a constant high or idle RPM. The easier one is during idle cos high RPM fluctuates widely while idle fluctuatea narrow range.

Its never adviced to load an alternator when battery is disconnected.

The simplest way to test an alternator is disconnecting + battery terminal during idle with no load. If the engine goes off, alternator is bad and not giving enough voltage. If heavy loads are on, say HI beam headlights, the engine could still go off due to high voltage draw which the alternator is not supposed to carry. That would give a false result that alternator us bad. This test comes with very high risks in modern cars with advanced ECU's
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by lookmangiw(m): 10:06am On Oct 24, 2016
Rahym001:
my car battery just died, i went out with my car on trying to return home, my car battery could not even on my dash board light,. Had to borrow another to start my car but was told my battery can be repaired.

My question is can a car battery be repaired? cos i cant afford a new one now. You know the recession is biting very hard
Please dont even take the option of repairing the battery. I'm currently experiencing the same issue now and ive already fall mugu for one battery charger like that. he collected 3k for my hand and the problem still persist.

Regards
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by greggng: 10:59am On Oct 24, 2016
Rahym001:
my car battery just died, i went out with my car on trying to return home, my car battery could not even on my dash board light,. Had to borrow another to start my car but was told my battery can be repaired.

My question is can a car battery be repaired? cos i cant afford a new one now. You know the recession is biting very hard

Stop deceiving urself. If your car bttery is more than a year you ve to replace it if it dies. Must of the car battery u guys buy here re China or Korea batteries that doesn't have long life. If you need a solid bttery that will serve u well then whatsapp me on 08062593234 for more details
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by K024(m): 11:21am On Oct 24, 2016
mayor2013:

When I say battery charger. I meant equipment not your road side kazeem battery charger. Get trained to get a much better experience perhaps you just a car owner. Read more about battery and charging system on cars wink

Bros nor be so. Whether na by visit to kazeem the battery charger or by having the battery charging device. My point is "Stop confusing people by saying what you don't know".
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by iamkingzlee(m): 11:27am On Oct 24, 2016
Baawaa:
Is it a dry cell or water one Battery charger told me is repairable but he said is advisable to buy new one because repairing it might not solve the problem.
Very true. I have had issues as such. The battery charger insists i get a new one for the vehicle, but my stubborn self went ahead to change the water with anothet charger believing it'll be fine, on two different occassions. Getting a new one if the money is there is just the best thing to do..
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by lielbree: 12:11pm On Oct 24, 2016
lookmangiw:
a new battery goes for 23k and above now for a 75 amps battery
shocked the last battery I bought was 13k. I even though I was cheated. That was early last year
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by mayor2013: 12:22pm On Oct 24, 2016
K024:

Bros nor be so. Whether na by visit to kazeem the battery charger or by having the battery charging device. My point is "Stop confusing people by saying what you don't know".

Stop acting like a novice. Learn how to read and digest valid information. No need pushing this further. You are just one of those adamant people around. Bye for now
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by ogawisdom(m): 12:39pm On Oct 24, 2016
Rahym001:

the battery is not yet 6months, still contains electrolyte.

Tanks

Hw can a battery die in 6months, d battery in my car is 2 and half years and still going strong
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by lookmangiw(m): 1:09pm On Oct 24, 2016
Thank God, they have lifted the ban.
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by mayor2013: 1:19pm On Oct 24, 2016
K024:

I hope you didn't skip classes during school days. Now read this for I have killed your ignorance

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Come to think of it, even though I was giving a false info could Robert Bosch be giving a false info. The info I gave there was Quoted from Robert Bosch and I have had several automobile trainings with them, so next time use your internet wisely to read wink
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by lookmangiw(m): 3:06pm On Oct 24, 2016
lielbree:

shocked the last battery I bought was 13k. I even though I was cheated. That was early last year
Brother, no think am again oooo. even the fairly used i'm contemplating on buying cost 12k now.
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:03pm On Oct 24, 2016
pol23:
Me sef no understand English.. Na pidgin I dey take package.
My story could cover your ass on your next post.

find someone who can translate

am a zimbabwean and we dont speak pidgin english

thats simple english i wrote
Re: Car Battery; Can It Be Repaired? by K024(m): 5:55am On Oct 25, 2016
mayor2013:

I hope you didn't skip classes during school days. Now read this for I have killed your ignorance

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Come to think of it, even though I was giving a false info could Robert Bosch be giving a false info. The info I gave there was Quoted from Robert Bosch and I have had several automobile trainings with them, so next time use your internet wisely to read wink
mayor2013:

Stop acting like a novice. Learn how to read and digest valid information. No need pushing this further. You are just one of those adamant people around. Bye for now

1. I apologise if you felt I have put you in a position where you need to yap me to look smart. I only asked a question.
2. Henry Bosch might have been represented or quoted out of context. For example, the reference to lead acid batteries and topping up charges looks more applicable to batteries in storage. Look at the end of that 2nd paragraph of your link again.
3. Anyway, the experience of most car users around me does not align with your claim. That is why I asked for your source of information.

PS.
I read your link and I also read up on sulfation. I am not afraid of learning something new.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

End Of An Era? Volkswagen To Stop Production Of Beetle Cars / What Kind Of Car Can One Get For, Say, 250-300k / Interpretation Of Obdii Scan Results And Related Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.