Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice (5711 Views)

Schengen Visa Delay At Belgium Embassy / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / Uk Student Visa Appeal Or Immediate Reapplication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by annekix(m): 2:34pm On Oct 24, 2009
My school latest start date on my visa letter just passed this week oct 20th and my visa application is still at the British High Commission (I applied in time and it’s been with them for  about 20 days now) do you think they could still issue the student visa?).

If i knew i would have applied months earlier but honestly guys arranging tuition and maintanance fees wasnt easy men i had no choice but to wait till all the funds were complete.

Has any one in the house had any similar experience with this kind of delay? Or knows anyone who’s gone through this?
What do you guy’s advice me to do?

what doyou think is the reason for the delay?

I sent the BHC a mail regarding my situation and this was the reply they gave:-

22 October 2009
Dear Sir

Thank you for your email. Please be informed that we are yet to receive replies to  checks conducted into your application. Your package will be sent back to the visa application centre once these checks are concluded and a decision is made.

Yours faithfully
HB
Correspondence Unit  | Visa Services | UK Border Agency | British Deputy High Commission | Lagos | Nigeria
Help lines:+234 1 2625930 - 7; 4613655 -58  | visa.lagos@fco.gov.uk | www.ukvisas.gov.uk; www.UKinNigeria.fco.gov.uk

Save Time Apply Online - you can now apply for your visa using our award winning application service. Go to www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk for more information.

Travelling to the UK? Do it the Premium way.
Are you a bonafide and well established traveller? Why not apply for a Premium Visa valid for 2 years?
For details of how to apply for a visa and locations of the application centres visit www.ukvac-ng.com

Ps. don’t just view and go, post replies abeg.
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by annekix(m): 3:35pm On Oct 24, 2009
pls i'm urgently waiting
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by EAsY6: 1:38am On Oct 25, 2009
annekix:

pls  i'm urgently waiting

@Annie, sorry about your situation but something must have gone weary somewhere. Have you applied to the UK before? Just wondering Why not just wait for a few more days! Conducting further checks means something's suspicious,  i did apply with my friend in august which was during the busy period and it didn't take that much time. write back
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by EAsY6: 1:49am On Oct 25, 2009
I just read your other post and I noticed you mentioned you have used visit visa before. So I guess something must have raised a question. I was in the same situation with my third visit visa just finished and applied and I got it back within 10W.days! I think you will be fine as long as you did the right thing.  You also need to pray you know coz you need it right now! All the best  wink
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by oyewolejos(m): 1:56am On Oct 25, 2009
though am not conversant with UK Embassy like that but it literally means further check on your application.Do not be afraid.It might just be because you are not a first time traveller so they have to cross check from various agencies to ascertain whether you have abide by the rules of your visa in your previous visit.Just be prayerful and hopeful.It might not be  suspicious is just a routine check frequent traveller has to go through sometimes ok.Just be happy.NOTHING DO YOU
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by annekix(m): 7:07pm On Oct 25, 2009
thank's for d feedback guy's but my problem now is d school, cuz dey are not extending the final reg date on my visa letter oct20, They said my i should defer my course till sep 2010! I told them hell no!!, and they suggested i choose a new course with jan'feb start date, i've chosen a new course to start feb which funny enuf seem's better than my previous course , What do you think? Should i mail the Bhc and inform them? Or should i sit tight and wait? Before they go and start further checks again.
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by Hesperus(m): 7:56pm On Oct 25, 2009
To be honest, I think choosing another course or starting in Jan/Feb is your best option for now. Thing is, as of now, you have already missed 4 weeks of study. 4 weeks out of 11 weeks of first semester. I am assuming you are coming for a masters degree, and that is alot of time lost. Some assignments and coursework would have already been handed in. How do you recover that?

But, still, keep hope alive. As long as you fulfilled all requirements, you will get the visa.
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by annekix(m): 10:47am On Oct 26, 2009
To be honest, I think choosing another course or starting in Jan/Feb is your best option for now. Thing is, as of now, you have already missed 4 weeks of study. 4 weeks out of 11 weeks of first semester. I am assuming you are coming for a masters degree, and that is alot of time lost. Some assignments and coursework would have already been handed in. How do you recover that?

But, still, keep hope alive. As long as you fulfilled all requirements, you will get the visa.

yep your right there but Ol boy leave that thing jare!!! Guy i'm a Nigerian after suffering and graduating from Lag and all, i'm sure i woulda still adusted sharply, regardless of assignments coursework and all abi no be to read book?

shoo,  I remember some guys who i swear i never saw thier faces once , once!, in Lecture hall while in Unilag they just showed face in exam hall and came out with 2.1 shocked,  naija we hustle hard,  cool
mean while some guys that attended lectures from the start even our class rep got  other erm,  lesser grades for thier efforts (our class rep got a 3rd! undecided)

not that i'm advicing guys to go and start registering late o!

But O boy naija boyz are crazy, But any ways that's just on a lighter note sha. grin

My old course was Msc Public Health

My New ammended course is Msc Business Management ( the yeye school didnt have any other bio medical or health science course starting jan/feb 2010!)

not that i'm complaining , cuz Business management seems like a sweet course

i remember telling my mum i chose public health she was like where will you work when u come back to Nigeria? will you make good money??will u easily get a job??

should i email the BHC and tell them i've changed my course and start date? Bear in mind the Faculty change from Health to Business they may start wondering why i'm changing,  i could reply and say "hey its not MY fault you decided to delay my application this way, what did you expect me to do wait till sep 2010?!! you gotta be kidding me!" But erm i'd rather not let it get to that point, heehee.

but what do you think?
cuz the latest start date on my visa letter passed last week oct 20th do you think they could still issue it and leave me to handle everything with the school?

Maybe God Get Plans 4 me and he's using style to adjust my error,  Bcuz this thing sef jus tyre me!

But God God Pleeeeeeeezeeeee Anoint these BHC people make dem release my student visa!!!!

HOOLY GHOST FiRE!!!!

@£a$y
ws it a student visa you applied for after your 3rd visit?

@oyewolejos
i agree i guess that's what's happening, feels kinda scary

cuz i feel they use every applicants biometrics to compare with all police databases in europe or some crazy James BOnd sturvs like that. cool

I hope say i no get one black Afghanistani Lookalike wey dey bear oFada Bin Laden, lol cHIE!! God Forbid it!

YOU GUYS I NEED MORE INPUT did any one you know wait this long for thier student Visa??
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by annekix(m): 12:42pm On Oct 26, 2009
cmon people
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by EAsY6: 7:43pm On Oct 26, 2009
@Annekix, changing your course at this time makes you looks desperate, I wont advice for you to go down that route but like someone once said,we're only sharing idea's. ( I dont expect you to take mine) Why not just wait for the outcome of your application

Which year did you finish from Uni-lag? I also finished from there and I fall in the category you mentioned ( people who stay away from lecture and still come out good) but believe me, I regret it now and its a different Ball game here! You have missed 4-5weeks of lectures and the semester is already half way tutorials and seminars have already started around most Uni.  REMINDS ME OF MISSION IMPOSSIBLE PART 2  grin But it your decision.

I applied for a Student after using my 3rd visa and it didnt take that long, I still think you'll be fine as long as you didnt put the wrong stuffs  wink in there! All the best! Let me know by tomorrow when you get your  VISA tongue
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by Hesperus(m): 11:19pm On Oct 26, 2009
I think emailing the BHC baout a change of course is a total bad idea! I quite agree with Easy, it makes you look desperate.

I know in naija, we skip classes and still pass. Even here, it is done. But I'm talking about coursework and assignments that have been submitted already. As it is now, you have missed 5 weeks (including this week) out of 11. Guy, no be yam o!

Public Health to Biz Management? What a switch! Which year did you finish from Unilag?
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by annekix(m): 3:15am On Oct 27, 2009
Akokites in da house!!! cool!

GUys i kinda figured that the email would infact look desperate and retarded tongue,

but seriously guys , what would you guys have done if you were in my shoes?

agree and defer till sep 2010, ?, HOw na?

@ Hesperus
@
Public Health to Biz Management? What a switch!

you can say that again!!!
the thing still dey trip even me sef shocked, But hey what was i spossed to do? no other alternative in health and science just felt i had to act fast before my case gets shelved somewhere and they insist i defer till sep,
the school just e-mailed me an amended visa letter and the originals are being dhl'd to my crib.

@ £a$y

i finished Lag 2006, when you applied for your student were the Biometric scans introduced then?
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by EAsY6: 12:26pm On Oct 27, 2009
Annekix, I applied this past August! That was my first time of doing the scan thingy,
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by annekix(m): 2:31pm On Nov 04, 2009
I just Collected my VISA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Running around Buck Naked Waving shirt in the air!!!!!!!!!*

Yesss!!! finally!!!!

It took a total of 28 scary working days for me, even though the BHC gave me 10!
28 days , people since i applied for the student visa in September!
!!!!!!!

"that has to be some world record or something" i gotta call Guinness!!

Any way, I just wanna thank God O!!! Ha, ! grin grin
O boy this wait nearly drove me nuts!!!
checking the visa app status page daily,
constantly calling the app customer care center, so te i come dey even toast the customer care girl for phone! grin

, in fact at a point i just got tired and bought 24 season 1-7 just to get my mind of the whole thingundecided undecided ( by the way Jack Bauer Totally Rocks!!) and would eat Micheal Scoffield for breakfast

and i was freaking out cuz i resigned from work thinking the visa would be out in time for me to travel, BIg mistake

but phew at least it came out sha! hee hee

Then i sent one hilarious email to the BHC i'm sure it musta touched them because the next day they emailed me telling me to go pick up my package!!

I just wanna thank and give a shout out to the following peeps
£a$y
Hesperus
oyewolejos

You guys took the time to give me some good advice and i appreciate it alot, u rock!!

Peace!!!

1 Like

Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by Hesperus(m): 2:06am On Nov 05, 2009
@ Annekix, Woooooooooooooowwwwwwwww!!!!
Nice one! I can imagine what you must have gone thru but Thank God it's over now.
So what's your next course of action?
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by annekix(m): 5:19am On Nov 05, 2009
@ hesperus thanx bruv!

hmmm, d visa starts october expires in march 2011

because the BHc delayed i wasnt able to meet my last registration date at school for Msc public health which was 20th october

so chose Msc Business management starting february " still cant believe that change" shocked

so i'm not sure if i can still travel early this november/december before my new course start date and allowed entry at the uk border.

or should i just chill in naija till late january?,

in fact i'm now confused.
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by justwise(m): 8:11am On Nov 05, 2009
annekix:

@ hesperus thanx bruv!
hmmm, d visa starts october expires in march 2011
because the BHc delayed i wasnt able to meet my last registration date at school for Msc public health which was 20th october
so chose Msc Business management starting february [i]" still cant believe that change" shocked
[/i]so i'm not sure if i can still travel early this november/december before my new course start date and allowed entry at the uk border.
or should i just chill in naija till late january?,
in fact i'm now confused.

Go Jan, going this Dec is waste of money and time, book ur ticket for mid Jan and get a good deal. U will be bored to hell if u go this Dec.
Re: UK Student Visa Delay Need Your urgent Advice by Hesperus(m): 3:28pm On Nov 05, 2009
@ Annekix, I quite agree with Justwise. Just stay in Naija and rock Xmas there cos the truth is, Xmas is the driest period of the year here. People will be leaving to go to naija when you will coming here.

That aside, its best to come in late january to avoid any immigration problems. If you arrive with a student visa starting in october, they will know you have missed school. If you now produce a letter to start school in january, that may even raise further questions.

Plus, air fares are less in late January compared to now. All in all, the pros of chillin till Jan far outweigh the cons.

(1) (Reply)

Anyone Know Anything About Thailand? / 1,292 Nigerians Have Been Killed In Road Accidents In The Last 3 Months’ – NBS / 2,518 Nigerians Evacuated From Port Sudan In 15 Batches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.