Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 - Travel (228) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 (977059 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) ... (416) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 18, 2017
Onegai:

You need to look up NJ state laws concerning Medicaid and Medicare. I don't think you qualify though, as you're not a resident of the state. Some states are more liberal about what makes you a resident (e.g. Ohio may give you some hassles compared to Maryland or California. And forget Texas or any southern state). And the marketplace insurance is such that it's tricky to buy since you have no income stateside (though you have passed this year's deadline, your pregnancy qualifies as an urgent position). But the problem then becomes if you can find a Dr who accepts Medicaid. So, go look up New Jersey Healthcare laws and decide from there. It may end up being easier to pay out-of-pocket costs (some things are covered for you depending on the state). Self-pay is cheaper and easier to bill than using insurance and they give them discounts (which is one of the reasons Americans hate birth tourism (foreigners will pay rather than lose their visa, meanwhile insurance coys will negotiate the bill down before paying).

However,once you buy your ticket, no-one will stop you at Border Control since you are a citizen (they may ask how long you've been out of the country but as long as your name doesn't sound Muslim, you should be fine). You don't even have to fill out Customs Declaration forms on the plane. Just use one of the self-service machines and go grab your bags. Probably try to get your DL from the DMV.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I really appreciate. I will need to get more insight on how the medicaid and Medicare works. From my Google search, they said I don't qualify for Medicaid in New Jersey as a non-resident. Anyone with useful alternative information will be helpful to me, so I start saving money on time if I am to pay cash. I pray to find a discussion thread on this medicaid topic.

Also will like to get in touch with intending mums planning on going to New Jersey to give birth. Let's get in touch. Email: Interact.a1@gmail.com
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by jimohkehinde: 3:56pm On May 18, 2017
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Babatwi: 4:20pm On May 18, 2017
jimohkehinde:
Hello House,

My Sister is Pregnant and planning to give birth in US. Her concern is that she and her husband have no travel history. Pls from experience, do you think she has a shot at being granted, Her reason is purely medical and that she has stated.

You input will be well appreciated.Thanks

My philosophy is 'nothing ventured,nothing gained' The important thing here is, being able to afford it,read the thread and gather information on how to go about it. A lot of 1st timers have applied and succeeded. Good luck

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by jimohkehinde: 4:58pm On May 18, 2017
Babatwi:

My philosophy is 'nothing ventured,nothing gained' The important thing here is, being able to afford it,read the thread and gather information on how to go about it. A lot of 1st timers have applied and succeeded. Good luck

Thank you, i will like to hear from those 1st timers just so that it will boost her confidence.

Thanks all the same.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by debby516(f): 5:56pm On May 18, 2017
I had no travel history prior to applying for visa to birth my 2nd baby. Same with my husband and my 1st baby. Though i got my visa before them and my husband and 1st baby went for visa interview after i arrived US. Surprisingly, the vo did not make an reference to my visa, just asked them if they were going for vacation and confirmed my husband's status at his place of work. More of what he wrote in the DS-160.
jimohkehinde:

Thank you, i will like to hear from those 1st timers just so that it will boost her confidence.

Thanks all the same.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Colouredgirl: 6:00pm On May 18, 2017
I was a first timer and I got my visa with no hassle.thanks to GOD.I just think it boils downs to being honest.Don't say anything contrary to what you hve filled,you should be able to show you can pay your bills ,hence,the need for you taking your budget just incase you are asked,they also wanna be sure you will be returning after the birth,so ensure you gat a tie here in naija ie your job and ur Hubby's, a solid and strong statement of account 70% what you filled in and 30% your oral interview...I stand corrected.. Best wishes
jimohkehinde:

Thanks all the same.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Cybless: 6:59pm On May 18, 2017
johnobot:

pls i and DW are in Chicago presently searching for hospital and doctor ,can you give me the details of the doctor and hospital pls.
Email is johnobot@yahoo.com

Hello. @johnobot
Pls check your mail...read through ..I just left some vital information for you. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ifybabe4real: 9:10pm On May 18, 2017
Cybless:

Hello. @johnobot
Pls check your mail...read through ..I just left some vital information for you. Thanks

pls can u send to me also. checkify3@yahoo.com.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ifybabe4real: 9:12pm On May 18, 2017
temmymt:
Hello,

July/August Moms, if you are using J H stronger hospital in Chicago.

If you are interested in sharing accommodation, PM me.

This is for July/August Chicago bond.

please contact me am interested. checkify3@yahoo.com
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Dhollargurl(f): 10:09pm On May 18, 2017
debby516:
I had no travel history prior to applying for visa to birth my 2nd baby. Same with my husband and my 1st baby. Though i got my visa before them and my husband and 1st baby went for visa interview after i arrived US. Surprisingly, the vo did not make an reference to my visa, just asked them if they were going for vacation and confirmed my husband's status at his place of work. More of what he wrote in the DS-160.
Hello Debby, please how did the V.O confirm his status at his work place? Kindly she's more light pls. I just reapplied with hubby and listed him as my travel companion.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Dhollargurl(f): 10:24pm On May 18, 2017
Dhollargurl:

Hello Debby, please how did the V.O confirm his status at his work place? Kindly she's more light pls. I just reapplied with hubby and listed him as my travel companion.

*shed* is it by Introduction letter, work I.D, pay slips and bank statements?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by debby516(f): 10:33pm On May 18, 2017
The vo asked him if he was the blabla of his organization and DH said yes. No doc was checked, but we think the vo may have checked my hubby status on his office website.
Dhollargurl:

*shed* is it by Introduction letter, work I.D, pay slips and bank statements?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Dhollargurl(f): 11:16pm On May 18, 2017
debby516:
The vo asked him if he was the blabla of his organization and DH said yes. No doc was checked, but we think the vo may have checked my hubby status on his office website.
Okay, thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by vamum: 2:17am On May 19, 2017
vamum:
Here's my take on the non resident USC that was asking if she should apply for medicaid (can't find the original post sorry).
Medicaid is for low income "RESIDENT" US citizens. That alone disqualifies her from getting/applying for the benefit, I think. In the spirit of being truthful, I would not advise that she falsifies/deliberately withholds information on her application. When she is applying for Medicaid she will be asked to provide her home address, will she be able to put a Nigerian address? Probably not. If she wants to take advantage of this resource available to resident USC's she should first of all establish residency (some states 6 months, some 1 year) then file based on their total family income (home and abroad), otherwise go the route of an uninsured USC and self pay.

More info:

What if I return to live in the USA during the year?
When you arrive in your US state of residency, there are special rules allowing people to sign up for insurance protection under the subsidized state insurance exchanges, even outside the open enrollment periods – where moving back to the USA is a “qualifying event” that allows you to enroll in your State Exchange within 30 days(?) of returning to your home state of residency in the USA.

The general public’s open enrollment period for ACA health coverage in 2014 closes on March 31, 2014, and does not reopen until 2015.

When you qualify as a Resident of the United States, then:
~ If you have no current medical insurance coverage, you can either enroll with a private insurance company, and pay your own premiums.
or
~ You can qualify for having minimum medical insurance by having Medicare (receiving SS retirement benefits), Medicaid, CHIP or other qualifying policies (like some VA coverages).
or
~ You can enroll in “State Insurance Exchanges” – insurance pools for each US state that cover people who either cannot afford or cannot get medical insurance coverage.

@Onegai
Here is some info that was shared on Medicaid for non resident USC. Your best bet if your able to (if still early in your pregnancy and can travel early) is to work towards establishing physical presence and then purchasing health insurance/applying for insurance available to USC's through the marketplace.Otherwise, to save yourself all the hassle go in as an uninsured/selfpay USC. I am pretty sure (not 100% thought) you will be getting whatever discounts are available to USC's and based on the hospital as well there may be other non governmental funds that are available to uninsured USC's.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Onegai(f): 3:54am On May 19, 2017
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Maymum: 4:48am On May 19, 2017
mamacajah:

Go to the vital records office, give your complaint and they will change it. I can't remember now if your DH is needed as well but call the office and confirm the requirements.

Thanks, I did that but the process is quite complicated and might take 3-5 months as it involves changing the last name.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Maymum: 4:52am On May 19, 2017
babythug:

Have you contacted the department that provides birth certificates to complain and enquire on the next steps?

Yes, I have. Would like to know if anyone else has had same issue. The process appears quite complicated and would involve DH coming over.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Nobody: 8:07am On May 19, 2017
I will just pay out of pocket for sake of peace and comfort and avoid problem. Is New Jersey a good State to give birth? as when compared to other states.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by MiddyO(f): 9:17am On May 19, 2017
It's complicated for surname. Requires a court process and your husbands consent, physically or through a notary public. Change of first and second names don't require so much.
Maymum:

Yes, I have. Would like to know if anyone else has had same issue. The process appears quite complicated and would involve DH coming over.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by MiddyO(f): 9:18am On May 19, 2017
Please who can help me with Del Sol's contact for VOA? I have sent him a couple of messages but no response.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by debby516(f): 9:55am On May 19, 2017
I know someone who has a similar issue, for the baby's 1st name. As I speak, she has not gotten her baby's US passport because of the name change. I advise u probably get an attorney to help u out, its may be quite complicated and time-consuming. Let's hope the SSN has not yet been issued in the mistaken name, that is another kettle of fish to deal with.
Maymum:

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by phummy1821: 10:18am On May 19, 2017
The same thing happened to me in Maryland, fortunately my husband was with me. We went to the vital records office and we were given an affidavit form to fill and sign in the presence of a notary public then take it back to vital records and was issued a new one same day. The mistake also affected the SSN, I went to their office with my international passport and a new one was sent to me the next day.
Maymum:

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by phummy1821: 10:38am On May 19, 2017
I replied you with the cost breakdown of what I paid but I guess my post was deleted by Justwise.
Bimsebony:

Hello Phummy

How are you doing and how is Fiyinfunja (love the name, it's unique). Please i would appreciate if I can get detail of St. Joseph's Bill from you. The Dr you used and all. I am Maryland bound soon to give birth and need to settle for a hospital soon.

Thanks in anticipation of your response .
Have a blessed day.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by May2017: 10:44am On May 19, 2017
WARNING: LENGTHY POST

Hello house
God bless every single person who has contributed to this thread. Your contributions were of immense help to me hence, the need to give back. I have been reading as a guest but decided to sign up this morning.
Brief background: I have a good travel history but I have been denied a US visa twice. Yesterday was my third attempt. My husband is a frequent traveler to the US, the VO acknowledged this during my second interview but because I was newly married, he said I was still building ties.
What I did differently:
1. I filled the job description part of my application like I was writing my resume for a big job. I made a big deal of it
2. Where they asked for reason why previous application was denied, I strongly defended my ties in Nigeria
3. Prayer cannot be overemphasized. My mom, my sister and I were in a prayer chain which we neither planned nor discussed. It was after I got the visa each of them told me they had been interceding for me

VO: Good morning
ME: Good morning (passed my passport to her)
VO: (Looking through) what did you go to do in the UK?
ME: Vacation
VO: How long have you worked with Bleep? (I was wearing my ID card)
ME: 6 years
VO: (Nodding) Have you met me before?
ME: No
VO: Give me a minute to look through your previous applications, I see you’ve been denied twice and I’d like to understand the context within which you were denied
ME: Okay
VO: You say you’ve worked with Bleep 5 years?
ME: No, 6 years
VO: What do you do for them?
ME: I’m an investment manager. Currently, we have about Nxxbn in funds under management. I …
VO: (Cuts in) what’s your highest level of education?
ME: (I did not anticipate this question, so I stuttered) Masters. M.Sc.
VO: What field?
ME: Finance
VO: What institution?
ME: University of Lagos
VO: What year?
ME: 2010, but my B.Sc. was in 2006
VO: What are you going to do in the US?
ME: Childbirth. My husband is sponsoring my trip
VO: How long have you been married?
ME: 8 months
VO: Have you contacted any clinic?
ME: Yes. Hope Women’s Clinic is taking up my care. They’re in Richmond, Texas. The hospital is Oakbend. I have an acceptance letter from them
VO: Never mind. How much does your total bill come to? (Typing)
ME: $11,700
VO: $11,700? That’s a lot of money. If you’ve only been married 8 months, how are you able to afford that?
ME: We have an investment account
VO: (nodding and typing away) what does your husband do?
ME: He’s a banker. He works with Bleep
VO: Do you have any relative in Texas?
ME: Yes
VO: Are you able to stay with them?
ME: Yes
VO: Who might that be?
ME: My husband’s sister and my mom’s brother
VO: Plan to stay 3 months
ME: (Thinking it was a question) no, 10 weeks
VO: I’m advising you to plan to stay 3 months. You have to travel at least 4 weeks before your baby comes and it’s advisable to let your baby be up to 8 weeks before you get on a plane to take a long flight. So, give or take, 12 weeks
ME: Okay (wondering if that means she has approved my visa because she’s typing away)
VO: (Getting up and circling something on a white paper) Ensure you take along all your documents when you travel; your doctor’s letter, estimated costs, any prepayments you may have made, whatever. Just anything that can help you get in because you are going to have to show it at the border
ME: Okay
VO: Pick up your passport in 3 working days, I have just issued your visa (hands me the white paper)
ME: Thank you

I'm so glad this phase is over. Counting down to July

19 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by olajay5: 10:48am On May 19, 2017
Dear all,

Following the scarcity of Nigerian passport from abroad, is it possible to get the Nigerian passport for my LO in Nigeria and take it along with me to the US for her use to return to Nigeria? Has anybody tried this option? I read people now find it difficult to process emergency travel certificate (ETC), VOA too seems not to be readily available unless you know someone to help you out (as @desouls has helped many here). Quite a number of people are asking for @desouls contact while some are getting frustrated.

Please can @desouls give a step-by-step guide to be taken to process the VOA without necessarily calling for his/her contact anytime anybody wants to process the VOA.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by biz8386: 11:12am On May 19, 2017
temmymt:
Hello,

July/August Moms, if you are using J H stronger hospital in Chicago.

If you are interested in sharing accommodation, PM me.

This is for July/August Chicago bond.

please lets talk. contact me on biz8386@gmail.com
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by feddy27: 11:15am On May 19, 2017
congrats may2017 ! Good luck all the way
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by missexiest: 11:42am On May 19, 2017
congratulations May2017,pls was this interview done in Lagos or abuja?

(1) (2) (3) ... (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) ... (416)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.