Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,799 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 - Travel (241) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 (978115 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (416) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by kifayah07: 9:26am On Jun 01, 2017
fatima04:
Hello house,

Thanks to everyone who contributes positively to this forum, it makes the whole missionary journey less stressful and arms one with current and up to date information. Now to the famous giving back.

Missionary journey ended March 31 officially, had an existing valid visa prior to pregnancy. After extensive research on POE and flight cost I settled for Ethiopian airlines and booked my ticket 3months before travel date. As much as Ethiopian airline has great on board experience, one will be frustrated with their level of disorganisation from Nigeria, but they do have great IFE, Bassinet for baby, 4 course meal (prepare for some tomato and pepperless food), short flight duration.

My Nigerian flight was cancelled due to bad weather after being called for boarding and had to miss my previously booked flight on united airline and its not refundable since am missing the originating outbound flight from New jersey (the thing pain me oo )

New Jersey POE was great,long queue but quite fast
CBP: Hello
Me; Hi
CBP: Why are you here
Me: Childbirth and vacation
CBP: What do you do back home
ME: Quantity surveyor (had to use cost engineer to explain)
CBP: Oh! I was once in the construction industry, but not anymore due to bad economy
Me: True, Nigerian economy too is getting affected
CBP: how long will you be here for?
Me: 12 weeks and he stamped me for 6months

My final destination was Odessa texas (8hrs drive from houston) and great town I must say. Had my first appointment with DR G and I was presented with a bill of 2200 (1500 for delivery and 700 for 1st office visit,scan and all test required)

Hospital used was ORMC, they have an agreement already drafted out for self/cash paying patient,

Hospital bills for 2 days/ 1night delivery (this covers mother ,baby/babies)
VD- 2500
Epidural - 425
CS- 4425 (epidural is compulsory)
Additional stay is 1000dollars
circumcision is 800 (doctor charges 200 for the procedure as well)

US passport - 165dollars
Passport photograph - 7.74 dollars (2 copies at walmart)
ETC - 385 dollars (P.S- I presented this to travel at the US airport and wasn't asked any question afterwards)
Birth certificate- 23 dollars
babys one way ticket -76 dollars (after spending hours on phone with different samuels in Ethiopia, who told me their system doesnt accept Nigeria cards be it Naira or dollar denominated)

lesson learnt;
1. PRAY!PRAY!!PRAY!!! pregnancy isnt easy and the stress of birthing in another country faraway from home increases the stress and uncertainty.
2. start your processing early to gather all info and document
3. book your ticket,accommodation (if necessary) early to reduce stress of finances and you focus on the journey itself
4. book your local flight when you are in the plane leaving for USA or have someone do it for you (southwest comes highly recommended)
5. Having any family member for assistance will be highly helpful if traveling alone
6. Dont debate PKU test, it is compulsory in the state of texas (na fear of dollar)
7. RESEARCH, READ, RESEARCH, READ in that order over and over again.
8. Always ask questions to be sure of the deal you are getting
9. Start your babys passport application early, to avoid unecessary delay and if you dont have SSN ensure to sign a declaration form with your application.

Please,I sent an email to the hospital and they sent m the bills,same one you wrote here,please doing your stay in Odessa did you stay in an hotel or you rented an apartment? Please I need information on this because I would also like to use the hospital but I don't know anybody there and I don't want to be stranded. Thanks so much for the information,kisses.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by oadeyeye: 9:44am On Jun 01, 2017
hello Terese69,

am an october mum, Dallas bound first week september, i tried sending a PM( not sure if you got it or maybe i dunno how to use it) please i like to get some details from you, will appreciate your response. My email adeola182002@yahoo.com
Terese69:
Any Dallas bound mums due in October? smiley
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Babatwi: 10:45am On Jun 01, 2017
mamanicole:

Yes,it was an unpaid leave.I was meant to travel with my husband who is a British citizen n our daughter. Thanks but pls what do you think I should write as the reason why I was refused?

Dint they give you any typed sheet of paper stating the reason?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by fatima04: 12:19pm On Jun 01, 2017
Got a shared apartment, you can PM me for details.

kifayah07:

Please,I sent an email to the hospital and they sent m the bills,same one you wrote here,please doing your stay in Odessa did you stay in an hotel or you rented an apartment? Please I need information on this because I would also like to use the hospital but I don't know anybody there and I don't want to be stranded. Thanks so much for the information,kisses.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Terese69: 12:32pm On Jun 01, 2017
Hi Adeola,

I replied your PM yesterday, please check your email.

oadeyeye:
hello Terese69,

am an october mum, Dallas bound first week september, i tried sending a PM( not sure if you got it or maybe i dunno how to use it) please i like to get some details from you, will appreciate your response. My email adeola182002@yahoo.com
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by olajay5: 1:06pm On Jun 01, 2017
PrinceAdeAde:
Anyone travelling to houston between now & Monday and can assist take consent form along. Abegi,let me know

Send me a PM. I can help you take it along.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by customised87: 1:12pm On Jun 01, 2017
reniduke:

Which room is that? Post the link

Pregnancy thread...but i just saw the BA now

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by oadeyeye: 1:46pm On Jun 01, 2017
Ah! I've checked didn't get the mail.
Terese69:
Hi Adeola,

I replied your PM yesterday, please check your email.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Terese69: 1:54pm On Jun 01, 2017
Ok. Just sent an email to your email address.

oadeyeye:
Ah! I've checked didn't get the mail.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by utobaby: 2:38pm On Jun 01, 2017
Hi lovely mamas! I'm new here n would like to ask few questions for ur assistance. I traveled to states some years back to visit my sister with my family n renewed by visa through Dropbox last year December without knowing I was pregnant. Now I intend to birth in USA n have some questions to ask.
1) Do I need letter of intent from embassy?
2)Do I need doctor's correspondence?
3)Anyone with Idea of any cheap hospital in Xenia Ohio or within Xenia Ohio?
I would like to hook up with Ohio mamas n pls enlighten me cos I don't really know much about birthing in USA.
Thanks in advance
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by sugah: 4:18pm On Jun 01, 2017
nefertitiram:

Did you research domestic workers contracts in relations with what is obtainable in US? you know their rules differ from ours.

Anyways, it may be granted.... time frame now is what we dont know... but dont buy tickets till a visa has been granted!
Pele dear
Phew!!!
Her visa was granted.

***DELTA is doing some sort of Promo...if you don't mind flying Delta and their crappy aircraft.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by jesufifunmi: 4:19pm On Jun 01, 2017
sugah:

Phew!!!
Her visa was granted.

***DELTA is doing some sort of Promo...if you don't mind flying Delta and their crappy aircraft.
Please elaborate on what you call sort of abeg. Like the 90k to Houston promo of 2014? I have been waiting.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by sugah: 4:24pm On Jun 01, 2017
jesufifunmi:
Please elaborate on what you call sort of abeg. Like the 90k to Houston promo of 2014? I have been waiting.
90k ke?? LMAO!!!
That's why I said sort of... For people that want direct flight with middle Eastern airline kinda rate.

I got delta for about same rate as Qatar for LOS-DFW-LOS.

Emirates is doing promo too.. but the layover can raise the dead.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by jesufifunmi: 4:27pm On Jun 01, 2017
sugah:

90k ke?? LMAO!!!
That's why I said sort of... For people that want direct flight with middle Eastern airline kinda rate.

I got delta for about same rate as Qatar for LOS-DFW-LOS.

Emirates is doing promo too.. but the layover can raise the dead.
lol. How much did you get to DFW? I still prefer Delta cos of their direct route.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by sugah: 4:43pm On Jun 01, 2017
jesufifunmi:
lol. How much did you get to DFW? I still prefer Delta cos of their direct route.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Kbek: 4:51pm On Jun 01, 2017
Look for a cheep flight, log on to cheapflight.com and make ur choice.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Babatwi: 5:42pm On Jun 01, 2017
sugah:

Na promo you call this one? I miss the days of 90k promo

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by sugah: 5:56pm On Jun 01, 2017
Babatwi:

I say again, "sort of".
Considering Delta has been in the range of over 1M.

How much was your dollar rate 2014 compared to now?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by YETI28: 6:06pm On Jun 01, 2017
Hello house, aby body know have any accommodation in dallas or carrolton, pls just need an affordable accommodation close to carrolton where my hospital is. Pls if it's for us to share let me know let's talk about it. Thnks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Austine2020: 6:10pm On Jun 01, 2017
Babatwi:

U go kill person with Laugh, i just cant stop Laughing!.Tickets are always expensive from this time because of summer holidays.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by heavenangels(f): 6:32pm On Jun 01, 2017
firsttymum:
it won't. I suggest u apply alone or with ur Mil.. But her being d sponsor get as e b.
I will suggest you all apply with your husband and your MIL, do not change your sponsor. let your husband still be the sponsor. just make sure you brand your husband better. all the best
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Terese69: 6:39pm On Jun 01, 2017
Please let me know when you eventually find one. I'm still searching too grin

YETI28:
Hello house, aby body know have any accommodation in dallas or carrolton, pls just need an affordable accommodation close to carrolton where my hospital is. Pls if it's for us to share let me know let's talk about it. Thnks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by cfcchick: 6:48pm On Jun 01, 2017
sugah:

Abeg which site u see this promo? Can't seem to get any for ATL
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Terese69: 6:54pm On Jun 01, 2017
I don't know about 90k promo o especially in this economy. However I bought Qatar Lagos to Dallas return for 414k yesterday that's if you don't mind the 8/13hrs layover.

Babatwi:

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by nefertitiram: 7:13pm On Jun 01, 2017
sugah:

Phew!!!
Her visa was granted.

***DELTA is doing some sort of Promo...if you don't mind flying Delta and their crappy aircralft.

Yaaayyy! Nice one!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by NorthernshoreTS(m): 7:20pm On Jun 01, 2017
I didn't have any "contact" at the immigration office. I just went there and told them my DW and LO would be arriving Nigeria on a certain date. So when they got to MMIA, DW dropped off LO's US passport with the immigration folks. We then processed LO's Nigerian Passport (which took about 2months before it was ready), took it to immigration office at MMIA where it was sighted and the LO's US passport was handed back to us. The tricky part might be getting that letter from the immigration folks which LO needs to be able to board the plane (they claim the letter can only originate from their HQ in Abuja). My advice... March to their office and insist on seeing the airport comptroller or her PA and request assistance in obtaining the letter.
Good luck.

PrinceAdeAde:

Can you please provide further clarity on this.
I see a lot of people paying for VOA but you brought a spin of no payment so I am wondering why people are not picking this option as it sounds very reasonable.Also Just wise confirmed from the post below.Can the house further validate this

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by jesufifunmi: 8:41pm On Jun 01, 2017
NorthernshoreTS:
I didn't have any "contact" at the immigration office. I just went there and told them my DW and LO would be arriving Nigeria on a certain date. So when they got to MMIA, DW dropped off LO's US passport with the immigration folks. We then processed LO's Nigerian Passport (which took about 2months before it was ready), took it to immigration office at MMIA where it was sighted and the LO's US passport was handed back to us. The tricky part might be getting that letter from the immigration folks which LO needs to be able to board the plane (they claim the letter can only originate from their HQ in Abuja). My advice... March to their office and insist on seeing the airport comptroller or her PA and request assistance in obtaining the letter.
Good luck.

But me ayam skeptical about dropping my LOs passport for that amount of time o.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by sugah: 8:47pm On Jun 01, 2017
cfcchick:

Abeg which site u see this promo? Can't seem to get any for ATL
Bought it directly from Delta via phone. But my travel date is next week and bought it today.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by shakidude: 8:52pm On Jun 01, 2017
PrinceAdeAde:
Anyone travelling to houston between now & Monday and can assist take consent form along. Abegi,let me know

I can be of help. Where do you live? I am in Abuja
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by olu101: 9:46pm On Jun 01, 2017
Hello Everyone, sure you are all well.

Please which of the application form do I need to fill for Child birth visa?

Please anyone
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by olu101: 10:02pm On Jun 01, 2017
Hello House...

Please is there a section in the DS-160 form that enable one to choose or say that I am applying for Medical visa?

Please house advice.

God Bless
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by fasttrack(m): 11:00pm On Jun 01, 2017
anyone here used qatar airline, abeg how did you do the lay over. where there places you could rest or did the airline provide hotels to lodge.
thier flight na die. see wettin dollar exchange rate cause, before na klm or lufthansa , now you gats dey hustle promo qatar ticket. kai

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (416)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.