Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,625 members, 7,827,340 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. - Computers (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (60229 Views)

Ten Most Common Laptop Problems And Their Solutions / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by lynxnoon(m): 2:55pm On Jan 05, 2010
and

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by rerute1(m): 3:46pm On Jan 05, 2010
My laptop is very slow at booting and shutting down, also freezes intermittently when i load about 3 programs
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by netotse(m): 4:06pm On Jan 05, 2010
rerute1:

My laptop is very slow at booting and shutting down, also freezes intermittently when i load about 3 programs

you need to tell us what OS you're using, and the specs of your computer, we aren't magicians u know. . .

how much ram?
HDD space?
OS?
tell us as much as possible about your computer

@lynxnoon
use services.msc, services by itself wont do it.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by lynxnoon(m): 4:39pm On Jan 05, 2010
Finally corrected it wink
to Deji, Neotse et al.
Tnx a mil smiley smiley

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Marhoski(m): 5:08pm On Jan 05, 2010
can some one please answer me and tell me what to do?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Marhoski(m): 5:09pm On Jan 05, 2010
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 06, 2010
@Poster Anytime I want to dial my network connection, I keep receiving the message Error 50 unable to establish a connection. My modem is working (nokia E51), and the settings are correct (I use zain). Please what to I do to make sure my phone connects when I dial. Thanks.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by netotse(m): 3:04pm On Jan 06, 2010
Marhoski:

try win key+ pause(there's a key with pause/break on it on your keyboard) it'll bring up a window where u shld be able to tell which OS you're using. also tell us the specs of your computer

@troynow
have u tried re-installing the modem? do u use nokia pc suite?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 06, 2010
@netotse Ive reinstalled the modem twice. even nokia pc suite refuses to connect. Is dere anythn i can do?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by netotse(m): 4:28pm On Jan 06, 2010
@troynow
sorry i forgot to ask, does your phone begin to dial when u click connect? as in does anything show on your phone screen?, have u ever connected using that phone?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by tipsydude(m): 4:46pm On Jan 06, 2010
@deji2009

Tnx 4 ur response on Dec 09 2009. so sori I havn't posted since then. I went to the link u suggested and tried 2 follow d steps outlined there but I observed dat when I go to Apple ---- System Preferences and choose Network, I get a different screen from what is on the link u sent me so I get lost.

Happy New Yr.

p.s: I have a challenge resizing my screenshots so u can c wat am talkin abt.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jan 06, 2010
@Neotse i have used d phone to connect wit this laptop many times b4. Den it later stoppd connectin. When i try to connect, d phone wuldnt dial. But it dials wit other laptops.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 12:13am On Jan 07, 2010
Marhoski:

thanks bt i dont really know, on top they wrote hp and when u open it, @ the bottom right there is a sticker which shows designed for windows xp,windows vista capable.
And yes i use firefox too bt am not talking about browsing, am talking about the general use such as the start button, opening documents, cannot right clicl a file on the desktop and every other thing takes along time to open even the start button. Am suspecting its a virus.

Thanks for providing more information.

Here's your diagnostics.

CLick start > Run > and type in prefetch then press Enter. Hold down ctrl + A

to highlight all then press delete. Exit the box. bring up run again and type in

Msconfig
then press enter and look for start up untick all items except you anti-virus. Apply and ok

Bring run up again and type in cleanmgr then press enter and follow on screen instructions. do not tick

hibernation as this can cause problems.

Level: Advanced

furthermore, Click on Start, then Run, and type "msconfig". Wait for a new window to pop up.

2Look under the "BOOT.INI" tab. You will see a box labeled "Timeout:", and a numerical value. By default, it's 30, which

means 30 seconds of wait time before boot. This can be changed, using 3 seconds. (Note: if you have more than one

operating system, this means the wait time to startup to the highlighted OS. you might want a bit more than 3

seconds)

Defragment

Always perform a disk defragmentation at least once in a month. start the disk defragmentation from the system tools

available in the accessories from the start menu. it takes a longer time and it is advised not to run any applications in

the computer including the screen savers, while running disk defragmentation. Those should make some differences.

If want more visit  http://www.reginout.com/

Good luck and thanks for enquiring.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 12:25am On Jan 07, 2010
lynxnoon:

@deji2009
tnx for your suggestion
I followed the link you gave me and was able to run it successfully but the error message still comes up for the security center but i was able to enable the windows firewall and defender
Also i typed in "services" in RUN but nothing came up
Below are some screenshots
Tnx for yur reply

Click start > right click on my computer

>manage > click continue (UAC prompt)

>Services and application > services>

> then select your choice as you

have indicated in your diagrams

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 12:30am On Jan 07, 2010
Troynow:

@Poster Anytime I want to dial my network connection, I keep receiving the message Error 50 unable to establish a connection. My modem is working (nokia E51), and the settings are correct (I use zain). Please what to I do to make sure my phone connects when I dial. Thanks.

Like the tecs have already mentioned. I suggest you visit

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/nokia-pc-suite

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 12:36am On Jan 07, 2010
tipsydude:

@deji2009

Tnx 4 your response on Dec 09 2009. so sori I havn't posted since then. I went to the link u suggested and tried 2 follow d steps outlined there but I observed dat when I go to  Apple ---- System Preferences and choose Network, I get a different screen from what is on the link u sent me so I get lost.

Happy New Yr.

p.s: I have a challenge resizing my screenshots so u can c wat am talkin abt.

Ok. what's the make and model of your computer.

operating system such as Mac O/S OX et cetera .

If you know this. try googling the manufacturer website

to see if you can get further information as the best place to.

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 12:41am On Jan 07, 2010
rerute1:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Like one of colleague has suggested. Could you pls tell make and model

of your computer. Is it XP or Vista. That the basic we need

in other for I and my colleagues to proffer solutions to this problems.

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 12:54am On Jan 07, 2010
Dear Tonysmart,

As of 23 Dec 09

Sometimes it´s not possible to uninstall avast.

Here's your diagnostics from Avast themselves.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Any update on internet explorer 5 you tried to install ?

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 1:03am On Jan 07, 2010
Dear Mreds,

RE: Hello guys, welldone! My Hp laptop jst stopped booting properly,

when it starts now,it doesn't get 2 d windows user page,what can i do? Tnx!

Here's your diagnostics

Plug the AC Adapter into the Notebook PC.

Press and hold the Power button for 5 Seconds to turn off the PC.

Press and hold the F10 key while you press the Power button to turn on the PC. Release the F10 key after text is

displayed on the screen of the PC.

After the BIOS Setup Utility is displayed, use the Right Arrow key to select the Tools menu.

Select Hard Drive Self Test

Press the Enter key to start the test.

The Hard Drive Self Test will provide an Estimated test time . A Quick test, a Comprehensive test,

and a SMART test will execute when the Enter key is pressed.

If any test fails , contact HP service and support for instructions on how to order a replacement hard drive.
Thats if you have warranty. alternatively pop in to your local computer repairer for a new hard drive.

If test pass then save all your work to a storage device such as USB Stick or CD/DVD.

After backing up your data make sure laptop running through mains restart your notebook

and keep pressing F11 repeatedly until you see welcome to recovery manager. please find enc

on what it looks like. This will reinstall your laptop back to square one. Good luck and thanks for enquiring.

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by tipsydude(m): 7:59am On Jan 07, 2010
@ deji2009

Sup man? I finally deciphered d snapshot thingy s pls find dem below. The first shot is what i get when i click on Apple------ System preferences then Network, while the second shot is when i click on Advanced in the Network window. The make of my lappy is MacBook Air. model is MacBookAir 1,1.

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 10:40pm On Jan 13, 2010
tipsydude:

@ deji2009

Sup man? I finally deciphered d snapshot thingy s pls find dem below. The first shot is what i get when i click on Apple------ System preferences then Network, while the second shot is when i click on Advanced in the Network window. The make of my lappy is MacBook Air. model is MacBookAir 1,1.

Dear tipsydude,

Going through your attachments I can clearly see, you were connected with

a good IP address 192.18.1.0 or so. This indicate you have a good connection.

could my eyes be deceiving me ? well, let us know if you were successfully or not.

Thanks for feeding back and I wish you good luck and do not hesitate to get intouch

should you need further technical assitance from myself and my colleagues.  smiley
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by bijelee(m): 12:49pm On Jan 26, 2010
The prob i have is with a desktop, there was a power failure and there is no UPS, when the light was restored, there was this error during startup " unmountable boot device" i have tried starting up with last known good configuration and safe mode it keeps coming back to the same error, i need help, thanks.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Luka316(m): 10:11am On Jan 27, 2010
@ deji2009 man you too much i never see person who try as much as possible to answer every qustion that comes his way without attched any stringe. my problem is that iam using campaq nc600 with it was window but upgraded tovista home promium, although i did not bought new i bought it from someone, at ealier stage it was working okay but later it become very slow, and the battery even if fully charge it does'nt last upto 30 minute it will run down. pls what most i do to save my latpop. thanks
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by dynna(m): 2:16am On Jan 29, 2010
please guy,hlep me.my desktop shortcut icons suddenly changed to the icon of the file i used to open one of them.Now all the icons are displaying the same thing on them.please what would i do.this problem is sort of crazy angry.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by netotse(m): 11:04pm On Jan 29, 2010
dynna:

please guy,hlep me.my desktop shortcut icons suddenly changed to the icon of the file i used to open one of them.Now all the icons are displaying the same thing on them.please what would i do.this problem is sort of crazy angry.
try system restore. . .anyother way would be too complicated for you to handle. . .i think
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by aristocrat(m): 5:20pm On Feb 02, 2010
i was working on my hp p3 laptop last week before the battery went flat, da second day i tried to charge and put it on and it worked perfectly but the screen was not coming up. i mean all the light came up, but the screen was not showing. wat can i do to perfect it. but a guy told me it needs memory,but i couldnt know wat exactly went wrong. can anybody help by rendering expert advice on how to fix da problem?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by TYPOP(m): 12:05pm On Feb 06, 2010
[Quote]I use a Dell Vostro 1500. The system was in standby last week Thursday and I did not know. I thought it was off but the next time I looked at the system, the battery was flat. No power at all was in the battery. When I charged it, It would only get to 53% in two hours. Since then, my battery will only charge up till 46% even if I charge it for 5 hours.

Please what can I do? I need help urgently.

Thank you.[/Quote]

Please help out. This has not been replied to
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by squad1: 3:07pm On Feb 08, 2010
i have d same problem, my battery went flat. The next time i tried charging it, the battery icon keeps showing "0%Available( plugged in, Charging)" and left it for hours without any changes. NOW anytime i remove the charger, it goes OFF!!!

P.S, the battery is NEW, in using a SONY VAIO
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by xterra2(m): 11:21pm On Feb 08, 2010
A big fan,just started using MacBook Air (the lates one-1,1)And am just loving it so very much.But am having difficulty can any1 help?:
Safari am using version 3.1.2 i dont wanna download 4 because am using MTN fastlink and it would eat away my download limit,at 1st it maximizes(i.e show full screen)but it dosent do anymore i click the maximizing button a lot to try and solve it but it still didnt work as am typing this now,am using it not full screen.can any1 help?or u need screenshot?

Question2:
On an HDX 18 i formatted the C: and i lost the option to press f11 for recovery immediately i switch if off anyhelp?not only HDX 18,same principles applies to hp laptops,i downloaded the recovery manager of 6720s when i had same problem b4,but didnt work.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by obataala(m): 1:37pm On Feb 09, 2010
@deji2009, messiah help!. First,how do one continue when sys goes into either standby or hibernation?,As depressing every other keys will not bring up d interface except the power button, is that d right way?. It went into hibernation a certain time after d battery went flat,it gave a golden-like light which remained 4 almost d entire day. I became confused as it wont power on 2 enable me shutdown properly.what is appropriate to do in such circumstance?,
Secondly,since i downloaded adobe flashplayer n shockwaver it now slows my spec is DELL LATITUDE C600, P 3, XP, 256MB RAM, 701MHZ, 20 GB HDD.I still have 13GB HDD free space left and just did defragmentation b4 this post.
Third,each time its turned on, power dvd interface appears which i always have 2 close,so also sonyericsson pc suite which keep popping-up a failed connection. Is my disk drive infected?. If so how do i remove whatever it is. Lastly my avast pro 4.8 has never detected any virus but on few occasion it has prevented d sys from accessing some flash drives.but still i've not been able to up-grade it.it requires a key word or so says d earlier one expired.can u get one 4 me. Thanks.
All hail N Landers messiah!!!
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Cmisolla: 1:59pm On Feb 09, 2010
Wadup guys! Has anybody ia ever made use of a laptop with an in-built modem(3G)? How wld i configure it please?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply)

Grade A USA Used Probook 640 Core I5 For Sale. / Free Proxy List, Web Proxy List, Socks List Download Them As Raw Text Format. / Solid State Drive Vs Sata Hard Drives. Which One Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.