Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,722 members, 7,824,052 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

How Do I Go About Divorce? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Go About Divorce? (17389 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / My 63-year-old Wife Starves Me Of Sex, Divorce-seeking Septuagenarian Tells Cour / Things You May Not Know About Divorce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by N101: 8:07pm On Nov 01, 2009
@poster

Coolier is correct, posakosa is wrong.  If your Nigerian marriage is a legal marriage in Nigeria, it is likely to be recognised elsewhere.

Do you have the marriage certificate?  If you had a court marriage, you should be in possession of the certificate unless you had a moment of weakness and he has it.  Normally in the registry wedding they give the certificate to the woman.  If you don't have it I suggest you speak to a lawyer about it.

I would suggest you divorce him in the US, that way - if he is the kind of person you say he is - then he has nothing to use against you in future should you remarry.

Sorry posakosa, but foreign marriages are usually recognised in other countries, even in the US, whether this was a Sikh marriage in India or a registry marriage in Nigeria, so long as it in accordance with in that country's laws and there is proof i.e. certified in some way.  Give her the information, then it's up to her to decide what she's going to do, whether legally or otherwise.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 8:10pm On Nov 01, 2009
Let me wait and see what her response will be. Where is your Nigerian registry certificate ?

The man was looking for green card; he has NO REASON whatso ever to contact her. They don't even have any children together. How will he claim that she was married to him ?
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by finemocha(f): 8:12pm On Nov 01, 2009
dump him, u dotn have to do anything special
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 8:14pm On Nov 01, 2009
Mocha chocholate: where in the Bronx are you ?
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 8:18pm On Nov 01, 2009
@ N101, i am in no way questioning the legitimacy of a marriage based on its particular location.

I am CLEARLY stating that this is a SHAM marriage because the man only wanted her for a green card.

Of course, foriegn marriages are recognized in the U.S., although there is no record of it until you FILE taxes together BUT in this instance, this was NOTHING but a sham marriage.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by N101: 8:29pm On Nov 01, 2009
posakosa:

@ N101, i am in no way questioning the legitimacy of a marriage based on its particular location.

I am CLEARLY stating that this is a SHAM marriage because the man only wanted her for a green card.

Of course, foriegn marriages are recognized in the U.S., although there is no record of it until you FILE taxes together BUT in this instance, this was NOTHING but a sham marriage.
Even if it's a sham marriage, it took place legally in Nigeria and so to that end she still needs to legally divorce - provided she can provide proof via the marriage certificate.  If she doesn't be guaranteed that man could very use it against her in future if given the chance.

However, if they remain permanently lost to each other. . .   wink
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 8:31pm On Nov 01, 2009
^^^^ thats even if it took place legally. Remember she is a foreigner in Nigeria. She could have easily been bamboozled. Anyhoo, im sure she'll figure her life out.

Best of luck girl!
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by N101: 8:43pm On Nov 01, 2009
Easy way to find out: if you filled in lots of incomprehensible documents, then you've been legally married in Nigeria.  If not, it's highly unlikely you get a proper certificate and therefore highly likely to have an illegal marriage grin
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by coolier(f): 9:32pm On Nov 01, 2009
N101:

Even if it's a sham marriage, it took place legally in Nigeria and so to that end she still needs to legally divorce - provided she can provide proof via the marriage certificate. If she doesn't be guaranteed that man could very use it against her in future if given the chance.

However, if they remain permanently lost to each other. . . wink

I love you N101. Some people just argue blindly.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 9:37pm On Nov 01, 2009
coolier:

I love you N101. Some people just argue blindly.

I am not arguing blindly are you the poster/ I am more than certain that it was a SHAM marraige; let her answer for her self sha.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by coolier(f): 9:48pm On Nov 01, 2009
posakosa:

I am not arguing blindly are you the poster/ I am more than certain that it was a SHAM marraige; let her answer for her self sha.

See me see trouble! Did I mention you?
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 9:52pm On Nov 01, 2009
coolier:

See me see trouble! Did I mention you?

How many others have responded to this thread ?
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by lostgirl: 11:49pm On Nov 01, 2009
@ N101, Yes there were lots of documents t be filled out and pasport photos to be submitted to attach to those documents. also, I am in possession of all the documents. He was given nothing.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 3:50am On Nov 02, 2009
lostgirl:

@ N101, [b]Yes there were lots of documents t be filled out and pasport photos to be submitted [/b]to attach to those documents. also, I am in possession of all the documents. He was given nothing.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by mamaput(f): 10:25pm On Nov 02, 2009
am American married a Nigerian in registry ceremony in Nigeria. Never had a ceremony in U. S. Do I need to go thru the trouble of divorcing him in Nigeria or can I just go on with my life

yes its legal . it may be that his other wife as you called her only had a traditional wedding with him.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by lostgirl: 5:43am On Nov 03, 2009
@ Posakosa, No this was not my first thread about this matter, but I posed a serious question. This has nothing to do with left over feelings are wanting to contact him. It is not necessary that I contact him directly to get a proper divorce. I just wanted to know was their even a need for me to divorce him. Divorces cost money and take time. I have appreciated your replies but that is something that I just had to clarify. My other post was in regards to me seeking udder and complete closure before all was said and done. And I did. i moved on to the obvious next step. DIVORCE.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by otukpo(f): 1:14pm On Nov 03, 2009
Posakosa
Why are u taking this lostgirl case personal. U have made ur point, allow others to contribute. How can u say that a marraige conducted in Registry in Nigeria is a sham? I tire for u. Allow the girl to thru the normal divorce process. The same thing u call sham is what some other people use as legal backings.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by mrofficial(m): 1:56pm On Nov 03, 2009
As your ID says "lostgirl" cool You're lost!
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 2:03pm On Nov 03, 2009
otukpo:

Posakosa
Why are u taking this lostgirl case personal. U have made your point, allow others to contribute. How can u say that a marraige conducted in Registry in Nigeria is a sham? I tire for u. Allow the girl to thru the normal divorce process. The same thing u call sham is what some other people use as legal backings.

Nothing is personal on NL. The man only wanted her for greencard so to me its a SHAM marriage. Do I make myself clear ? cool cool
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by lorebobo(f): 2:18pm On Nov 03, 2009
posakosa:

Nothing is personal on NL. The man only wanted her for greencard so to me its a SHAM marriage. Do I make myself clear ? cool cool

loud and clear!!! e don do. haba! ok. it is a legally sham marriage but that doesn't change the fact that it is legal and she has to go through the divorce process.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 2:23pm On Nov 03, 2009
lorebobo:

loud and clear!!! e don do. haba! ok. it is a legally sham marriage but that doesn't change the fact that it is legal and she has to go through the divorce process.

There is NOTHING legal about a sham marriage.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by drlawng(m): 2:47pm On Nov 03, 2009
@posakosa, You have a very low thinking faculty. Will not say anymore or respond to the insults i expect you would post. Check yourself.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 2:52pm On Nov 03, 2009
drlawng:

@posakosa, You have a very low thinking faculty. Will not say anymore or respond to the insults i expect you would post. Check yourself.

Someone who has signed on to tell me that I have a low thinking faculty----says that he does not respond to insults-----<hehehehehhe> keep trying. U're probably 12 years old.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by SoJaded: 3:00pm On Nov 03, 2009
posakosa:

Someone who has signed on to tell me that I have a low thinking faculty----says that he does not respond to insults-----<hehehehehhe> keep trying. U're probably 12 years old.
i really feel the guy that just yapped you now.every single thing u've posted on this thread has been extremely irritating.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by morpheus24: 3:01pm On Nov 03, 2009
posakosa:

lorebobo:

@ poster. I don't think you should be taking advice from someone who keeps using the word Sham marriage and green card in every post they respond to without you actually mentioning it. They really seem to be very uneducated about legal procedures or processess.

I would strongly advice to visit the Us travel advisory website which should have a section on marriages conducted abroad and their legal standing in the US or a lawyer in the US regarding recognition of marriages abroad.

This posakosa is not a very bright person from her statements.

My two cents.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 3:04pm On Nov 03, 2009
SoJaded:

i really feel the guy that just yapped you now.every single thing u've posted on this thread has been extremely irritating.

Did you have to create a new user name just to say this ?
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 3:06pm On Nov 03, 2009
morpheus24:

A poster. I don't think you should be taking advice from someone who keeps using the word Sham marriage and green card in every post they respond to without you actually mentioning it. They really seem to be very uneducated about legal procedures or processess.

It was the green card. Which he didnt get. He was with an american before me.

She said this on the first page. The Nigerian SHAMMER did not get the green card, which he purposely married her for. I WONDER IF THE FIRST AMERICAN HE MARRIED, GOT HER DIVORCE ?
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 3:07pm On Nov 03, 2009
@ OP, SEND HIS PICTURE TO THE IMMIGRATION AND FBI OFFICE. Get your DIVORCE PAPERS, as if a fake marriage matters, IF YOU CAN DO IT, ILL SEND IT FOR YOU.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 3:08pm On Nov 03, 2009
posakosa:

@ OP, SEND HIS PICTURE AND ALL OF HIS DOCUMENTS TO THE IMMIGRATION AND FBI OFFICE. Get your DIVORCE PAPERS, as if a fake marriage matters, IF YOU CAN DO IT, ILL SEND IT FOR YOU.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by posakosa(m): 3:08pm On Nov 03, 2009
posakosa:

@ OP, SEND HIS PICTURE TO THE IMMIGRATION AND FBI OFFICE. Get your DIVORCE PAPERS, as if a fake marriage matters, IF YOU CAN DO IT, ILL SEND IT FOR YOU.
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by koolchicco: 3:13pm On Nov 03, 2009
@Topic

Sorry, I dont know much about the US legal procedures. undecided

However if it were to be in Bosnia and Herzegovina, I would have offered some succor.  wink
Re: How Do I Go About Divorce? by morpheus24: 3:13pm On Nov 03, 2009
@ poster

Do not take advice from women who are vindictive.

level headed people give more concise responses

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's A Woman's Duty In Marriage? / Divorce In Nigeria / 23-year-old Mechanic Disappears, Family Seeks Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.