Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,962 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) (32373 Views)

Fashola Inspects 450 MW Azura Independent Power Plant In Benin (Photos) / Governor Wike And Duncan Mighty Inspecting Ongoing Rivers State Project - Pics / Ganduje Inspects Kano Independent Power Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by zeestunner(m): 6:23pm On Dec 01, 2016
sammyj:
The Northerners are trying to play catch up. Hope there is nothing fishing about this fast catch up development

Catch up with who? Which states them wan catch up to? Am sure u havnt traveled wide in this country almost every where is the same no big difference. If u travel a lot u will understand. What makes us down south more developed? Do we have 24 hours electricity? Nope buh they up north are working on that. Is it infrastructure? Have u seen federal roads and even city nd township road network in some northern cities? . Agriculture ? The are now investing a lot into it especially rice farming apart from ebonyi state in the south the rest are being left behind compare to their counter-parts up north. Oh ok is it education? Everybody de go school now both north nd south bsc be like merrybet slip. So wats special? We are all in the same boat the same level all over naija I laff wen ppl make noise about development just travel and see things. Infact we should be far ahead of them buh nope we are always complaining about FG this FG that. What have our states done with our funds all this while.

3 Likes

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by buffalowings: 6:25pm On Dec 01, 2016
Donbigi2:

If at all everyone will use meter, I see profit in it, here is why:
All exchange rate are at 396/dollar

Cost to power = $12960000.00 per year
Convert to naira=5132160000
If it gives light offer 12hrs we can say it generates 5132160000/2 = N2566080000
Let's say they bought diesel for 150 naira per liter =N4950000 per day (150x33000)
Let's say it supply's light for 12hrs only =
4950000 x 15 (half of 30days equivalent of 12hrs per day)
=N74250000
1yr will cost =891000000

Profit for the yr= 1, 675, 080, 000
Let's say 600 000 000 is cost of maintenance nd workers salary

Profit is 1 075,080,000

Cost of generator = 3 800 000 000
Within 3yrs they should get their capital back..
This would have been profitable if at all the north uses meter for electricity (19 naira per kwa)
Sadly they pay Nepa bill manually (highest 1k per month, even at 3k per month it is not sustainable)

Wack analysis.
Do northerners pay bills grin
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Nobody: 6:26pm On Dec 01, 2016
Donbigi2:

So individual generator is replaced with a bigger generator and you think its fine?for the state it is but my point was made about federal government using this system to generate power, it won't be sustainable..
It will cost alot to maintain
what is this guy saying? Are u trying to tell me that u won't maintain it before. U comparing this ideal to generator makes me laff at u. It seems like u don't know how much fuel u will buy to power u 24hours each day that would be like 10,000# per day for fuel alone minus maintainance and other expenses. When u can pay less than 10k for constant electricity.
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by 2n2k(m): 6:28pm On Dec 01, 2016
Adebimpe1:

Well, it all depends on the kind of power plant. The said amount for this very power plant is somewhat logical...But as I said, it depends.

Natural gas engines have outputs/capacities between 5MW - 20MW, some engines have higher outputs, depending on the specifications. It should be noted also, that these engines can either burn solely on natural gas, or a mixture of natural gas and LFO (liquid fuel oil/diesel). LFO here, serves as the pilot fuel, and NG as main fuel. Some burns with HFO (heavy fuel oil)

In the case of LFO as pilot fuel, an approximate quantity of 1.5 ton - 2.5 ton maybe used daily, depending on load and run-time.
I think this particular engine uses LFO only (just my thought). That is bad business, and whoever advises on such should be flogged, considering we've got gas in abundance.

OBJ and GEJ are frauds, or whoever is in charge. You can build a Wartsila powered Power station of 250-MW with $350 million, from ROW(right of way/ground zero) to completion and commissioning. This is not just a power plant of low standard, but one of world class standards, meeting all international regulations. Same amount may also be used to erect a combined-cycle power plant of 360MW.

@ bolded. Diesel can be trucked in standard tankers by road up north. They just need a big tank to at least hold may be a 30 days stock at a time. There is no gas pipeline to Sokoto currently. Who will build one? Will such pipeline not be at risk of vandalisation by the ND militants like the one for kaduna refinery?
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by zeestunner(m): 6:30pm On Dec 01, 2016
SBG04:

As in! The irony is just too painful. Rivers, delta and Bayelsa with all the gas in the world are in darkness! Onne in rivers, parts of escravos and even brass are in perpetual darkness! These areas have billions and billions of cubic feet of gas reserves. A few people would rather loot the billions meant to generate electricity from their gas. They never think long term. These states have no business with darkness with the quantity of gas reserves they're sitting on. Serious pity!

I tire o bros the thing is soo annoying we always complain FG FG all the time what's the effort we making on our own.sokoto wey no get one litre of oil they achieve this king project we with all the gas and oil no state done achieve half yet some people wan de form financial analyst on top the plant. Abegi dem try. who do better thing hail am e no go kill u.
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Donbigi2(m): 6:31pm On Dec 01, 2016
michaelandre:
what is this guy saying? Are u trying to tell me that u won't maintain it before. U comparing this ideal to generator makes me laff at u. It seems like u don't know how much fuel u will buy to power u 24hours each day that would be like 10,000# per day for fuel alone minus maintainance and other expenses. When u can pay less than 10k for constant electricity.

My original post was about the guy that wants nigeria to run such engine thru out the country and am saying it's not as simple as that...
That is a diesel generator and is quite expensive to maintain...
In my place at owerri I pay 1k for light and am close to town... Now Imagine inside village...

Except the government is ready to enforce pay as you go meter, that generator is very expensive to maintain
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Donbigi2(m): 6:31pm On Dec 01, 2016
buffalowings:

Wack? analysis.
Do northerners pay bills grin
grin grin grin
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Jeezuzpick(m): 6:33pm On Dec 01, 2016
Keneking:
Up North grin grin grin

Indeed Tambuwal and others are doing well cool cool

Unlike South West, where there is no progress in power..always relying on Niger Delta gas

Important points:

“it consumes 33,000 litres per day.” ie One trailer per day shocked

“It is only after it works for five years that it can be shut down for routine maintenance,” shocked shocked

Heh!

To better put it in perspective:

33000×365×5

= 60,225,000 litres consumed before its first routine shutdown.

At N150 per litre..........(bwaaaahahahahaha!)
It consumes N9,033,750,000.

Almost 3 times the cost of the actual plant will be spent on its FUEL alone. Say nothing about other costs.

CLOWNS!
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Blue3k(m): 6:34pm On Dec 01, 2016
zeestunner:

At least dem try. If south south states with the oil and gas plants around them cant achieve something like this for all this years and with all the allocations and extra cash they get from fg. who are we to judge them up north. Its a shame to us down south here. most especially delta state with all its resources should hav somtin like this at least 4 by now buh som ppl use the money build houses for their girlfriends.

Southern already has done this type of projects. The article even tells you that. Akwa Ibom already done it. 50 MW if I remember correctly.

I do agree people should bash north. If they're being productive everyone benefits.

"[The project, awarded in November, 2008, is the first of its kind in the Northern part of the country["
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Nobody: 6:38pm On Dec 01, 2016
zeestunner:

I tire o bros the thing is soo annoying we always complain FG FG all the time what's the effort we making on our own.sokoto wey no get one litre of oil they achieve this king project we with all the gas and oil no state done achieve half yet some people wan de form financial analyst on top the plant. Abegi dem try. who do better thing hail am e no go kill u.
my in the south people think they are wiser than north but my aunt stays in kano she said kano is better than Lagos because in Lagos u have to through many holdups noise pollution on the road but kano is very peaceful and kano has better roads. We are not better than the north in any aspect

1 Like

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Jeezuzpick(m): 6:40pm On Dec 01, 2016
Diesel fa!

How dem go take dey get am?

Here I was, thinking Sokoto will build solar plants!
Well, what do I know?
I'm just an Engineer.
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by obailala(m): 6:40pm On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
Is it expensive? What is the comparative cost of alternative per KWh generated
It's extremely cheap compared to typical Nigerian standards. I can't say mush about the running cost though.
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by dammycrane000: 6:47pm On Dec 01, 2016
i work in a power plant of 1000mw capacity, it has combustion turbines(gas) and heat recovery generator to a steam turbine.
It cost less than $1 billion.
Power generation is not rocket science. We have tons of natural gas in Nigeria which should be used instead of diesel ( which is not environmental friendly )
Building a 30MW capacity power plant in Nigeria at this time is not advisable in regards to our population and energy needs.
Such capacity of power plant are usually powered by waste ( burning of refuse, waste and also gas from landfills). This way you are cleaning the environment and also generation electricity as a by product.

1 Like

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by MeAboki(m): 6:47pm On Dec 01, 2016
Blue3k:

Lol read the article. You trying to take jabs at south when your late to party. Your not making waves your following trends. The arguements of northern region being parasitic isn't untrue.

The project, awarded in November, 2008, is the first of its kind in the Northern part of the country

Have read the article very well and noted when it was awarded; however, I wonder why you should assume that this should in any way take away from the fact the project was not only completed but commissioned and therefore yet another feather to the cap of the north - better late than never.
The over flogged issue based on 'its our oyel syndrome' of calling the north/northerners parasites is just an illusion being used by southern leaders to deflect away from their colossal failure and make their gullible ppl feel better about themselves - a typical case of trying to blow out another man's candle in order to make yours shine brighter.
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by fr3do(m): 6:51pm On Dec 01, 2016
comos:
turbine ruuning on Diesel fuel,

what makes it different from mikano generator ?

it is a 'gas' turbine capable of generating more power even though its relatively smaller
it requires less maintain but high accuracy in its installation because of its high speed rotary parts that rotates circularly in one direction unlike your mikano generator that reciprocates (the rotating part of the engine moves up and down continuously).
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by naija247: 7:00pm On Dec 01, 2016
As long as states have to send what they can generate to the national grid there would always be issues with power supply. I don't understand why some states have to carry the burden for some useless states.

1 Like

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by blackprowler: 7:01pm On Dec 01, 2016
oweman:
I know gradually the Niger deltans will make themselves irrelevant !

Now if this project is successful and the hydro projects breng proposed in most states in the north get to work. I don't seem to see the relevant of the Niger deltans anymore !
Meanwhile solar power is readily available everywhere in the north and is being tapped into UI ibadan s already having a power system to last the next 25years while that of ABU Zaria is under construction to last 25 years or even more

Please o, where in UI is it located because the one tiny one I saw has caught fire and burned the building on which it is located. Meanwhile they will prove they know everything. I've gone there to solicit business but their "oversabi" would weigh you down with academic ego battles. I've said we could have provided lots of jobs and put business people like me to work if this brick head ignoramus president told everybody to start patronising us and selling the power they generate to the government. National grid is the worst stupidity in the 21st century solar and wind reality. But alas these dumbo "leaders" are all technology illiterates. NIGERIA IS A JOKE!
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by ernieboy(m): 7:04pm On Dec 01, 2016
obailala:

These are interesting figures. If just N3.8billion could build a 30mw gas/diesel plant, then I would assume N38 billion can build a 300mw plant and N380billion (~$1bn) can build a 3000mw plant.

If these above figures are real, one begins to wonder how OBJ spent $16billion and GEJ spent about $8billion, yet power generation capacity is still not up to 6000mw.

This is one bloody expensive venture to operate, reason Nigeria should forget the initial capital cost and consider solar power.

[size=2pt]Attn: Lalasticlala[/size]
this seems to just be a glorified diesel generator. how sustainable will it be If it is run on diesel except they are going to be getting diesel at a subsidized rate I doubt if they will break even at 24 naira per kW. gas would have been a better alternative but again piping gas to the plant is going to be problematic and it will also be face with pipeline vandalism which is currently plaguing the other power plants.
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by ernieboy(m): 7:09pm On Dec 01, 2016
comos:
turbine ruuning on Diesel fuel,

what makes it different from mikano generator ?
abi o bros. how sustainable is this since power currently is about 19 to 24 naira per kW.

1 Like

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Blue3k(m): 7:11pm On Dec 01, 2016
MeAboki:

Have read the article very well and noted when it was awarded; however, I wonder why you should assume that this should in any way take away from the fact the project was not only completed but commissioned and therefore yet another feather to the cap of the north - better late than never.
The over flogged issue based on 'its our oyel syndrome' of calling the north/northerners parasites is just an illusion being used by southern leaders to deflect away from their colossal failure and make their gullible ppl feel better about themselves - a typical case of trying to blow out another man's candle in order to make yours shine brighter.

I didn't insult project. You're right people should be happy for their countrymen being productive. It's actually based on the fact north produces very little economicly compared to the south. The revenue is entirely generated in south but Noth receives a big chuck.

The parasite issue can be deflection but it is true either way. The issue is deeper for some nairalanders.

https://www.nairaland.com/3495061/injustice-revenue-allocation-nigeria
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by ernieboy(m): 7:12pm On Dec 01, 2016
PaulIdu:
No need to feed it to the national grid again ..I am tired of that lame law ..let it be used to power sokoto city which will automatically make more power available on the national grid
spot on. this idea of sending on a round trip round the nation is unwise because there will be power loss in transmission it should just be consumed locally making the state require less power from the grid. we really need to get our power policy right.

1 Like

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Chukazu: 7:13pm On Dec 01, 2016
I just don't get it why must every power generated end up been evacuated to the national grid?

this is obscene, it is not sustainable at all.
this power should serve it locality first and foremost..
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by ceejay80s(m): 7:15pm On Dec 01, 2016
Which kin news be dis? 30mega watts fit light bulb?
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by MeAboki(m): 7:22pm On Dec 01, 2016
Blue3k:

I didn't insult project. You're right people should be happy for their countrymen being productive. It's actually based on the fact north produces very little economicly compared to the south. The revenue is entirely generated in south but Noth receives a big chuck.

The parasite issue can be deflection but it is true either way. The issue is deeper for some nairalanders.

How can northerners be parasites when they own majority of the oil blocs and therefore directly responsible for generating the revenue southerners are foolishly taking credit for; while actually contributing nothing themselves - isn't it ironic?
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by Blue3k(m): 7:28pm On Dec 01, 2016
MeAboki:

How can northerners be parasites when they own majority of the oil blocs and therefore directly responsible for generating the revenue southerners are foolishly taking credit for; while actually contributing nothing themselves - isn't it ironic?

The government grants them the blocks to private businessmen. The profits being kept by them isn't issue. Second the economic tax revenue is generates exclusively in South hence why it goes to south as their gdp. The tax money is then given to economicly laggard northrrn states that don't produce or contribute to federal government. That's why your states are called parasites.

Ps. I don't even know if the oil block story is true. People post silly articles sensational headlines to grab. I can't verify sources. Where are the .ng.gov or real politicians coming out verifiable facts.
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by LadyExcellency: 7:28pm On Dec 01, 2016
obailala:

These are interesting figures. If just N3.8billion could build a 30mw gas/diesel plant, then I would assume N38 billion can build a 300mw plant and N380billion (~$1bn) can build a 3000mw plant.

N380billion is ~ $3 billion
The contract wasn't awarded last year

If these above figures are real, one begins to wonder how OBJ spent $16billion and GEJ spent about $8billion, yet power generation capacity is still not up to 6000mw.

This is one bloody expensive venture to operate, reason Nigeria should forget the initial capital cost and consider solar power.

[size=2pt]Attn: Lalasticlala[/size]

Nigeria has 12000Mw installed capacity but some are limited by transmission grid capacity (evacuation) and pipeline to supply gas.

Nigeria has 12,000mw installed capacity, but can transmit 5,000mw — Osinbajo

VICE-PRESIDENT Yemi Osinbajo, on Thursday, said the country’s independent power plants (IPP) across the landscape have an installed capacity of over 12,000 megawatts, adding, however, that 5,000 megawatts of the total capacity could be transmitted due to inadequate gas supply to the plants.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/nigeria-has-12000mw-installed-capacity-but-can-transmit-5000mw-osinbajo
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by blackprowler: 7:31pm On Dec 01, 2016
Blue3k:

Many people make me laugh in this country with their age-old narratives without ever thinking. So because the Nigerian government commissions some oyibo people to prospect for oil and they find oil somewhere in Nigeria, and use their own knowhow to obtain the oil from the ground and refine it and make money for Nigeria and themselves, it means in your own skull that the people who happen to be living in the areas where the oil was found are being productive? Does that make any sense to you? If the economic activities of the North is stopped today, do you know what will happen to your own life? Go to any market and itemise each foodstuff and find out where it emanates. It is the places where oil exist in Nigeria that has the absolute laziest, idlest and most stupid troublemakers in this country other than those cursed by religion
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by mu2sa2: 7:33pm On Dec 01, 2016
dokyOloye:
Learn to burn 33,000litres of diesel daily in d year of our Lord 2016
For those who don't know,33,000litres is exactly 1 trailer load of diesel.
Ehe,environmentalists,where una dey
But this should be preferable to having thousands of small generators. This single plant can provide the power needs of sokoto and other towns non-stop; that's bye-bye to power cuts. Don't forget the plant can also run on gas, which I believe can be sourced from the oilfields if nearby Niger republic. Good news from far north, this is. The criminals on ND are busy destroying, while sokoto people are working and developing their land.
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by mmsen: 7:34pm On Dec 01, 2016
MeAboki:
LOL, northern states making waves while others are busy bombing pipelines and calling them parasites to excuse their own inadequacies.

What 'waves'?

They still have the highest poverty and illiteracy rates in the country.

If this makes the north more productive, then that is wonderful but from what I can see they have simply imported technology and imported the manpower to run a power plant - how has that assisted the north in dealing with its educational deficit or its unemployment issue?

1 Like

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by googlepikins: 7:38pm On Dec 01, 2016
MeAboki:
LOL, northern states making waves while others are busy bombing pipelines and calling them parasites to excuse their own inadequacies.
see abokiii talking about bombing. Wonders shall never end.

Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by omonnakoda: 7:38pm On Dec 01, 2016
obailala:
It's extremely cheap compared to typical Nigerian standards. I can't say mush about the running cost though.
What do you mean by cheap and expensive? Those are meaningless.What is the cost ? do you have any data? If you do not then you are speculating.

It is a business so we can easily work out the expenses and revenue in both scenarios before we start talking of cheap and expensive.Do you have the data?
If you do not then sorry you are guessing
Re: Sokoto Test Runs Independent Power Project (Pics) by googlepikins: 7:40pm On Dec 01, 2016
mmsen:

What 'waves'?

They still have the highest poverty and illiteracy rates in the country.

If this makes the north more productive, then that is wonderful but from what I can see they have simply imported technology and imported the manpower to run a power plant - how has that assisted the north in dealing with its educational deficit or its unemployment issue?
I can't believe you're actually talking to that elf.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Can I Produce A Person You Labeled As A Terrorist? – Abaribe Asks Court / Sarki: Peter Obi's Supporters Have Offered To Sponsor His Campaign In The North / Heavy Shooting At Buguma In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.