Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,308 members, 7,839,499 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? - Literature (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? (95325 Views)

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! / Novels Are Time Sucking, Time Wasting Cooked Up Stories? / Which Books Are You Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 28, 2009
Asterix and Obelix
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by adebayo201: 12:15pm On Nov 28, 2009
. . . Off topic . . .
Flirting with girlz kiss
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Cristalz(f): 3:05pm On Nov 28, 2009
naijababe:

Mr Sheldon is now washed up. His newer efforts are kind of bleh

Kinda sad, huh? He ruled the storytelling world for a while. Well. . .guess that's life. Nothing lasts forever.

dominique:

that's the last and absolute worst of Sidney's books. the plots is bland, they were too many close shaves with death and near-misses it was just ridiculous. it just diddnt do it for me. if that was my first Sidney Sheldon novel, i'll prolly never read another one again everrrrr.

@topic
studying for an aptutude test. . . sucks tongue

LOL grin
And you're right about the close shaves and near-misses. They added to the book's predictability as well.
I just knew from the start that Tanner Kingsley would be the bad guy. We all try to predict stuff in books, but I don't like that it was so easy for me to get it right.
Anywayz. . .book's still okay.
Will start the Twilight series soon. Waiting to see the New Moon movie first, cos if I read before watching I know I'll be setting myself up to get pissed at the cinema. grin
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by beneli(m): 3:57pm On Nov 28, 2009
Talking about horrible books, i read 'The Atlantis Code' by Charles Brokaw, not too long ago. Everything is wrong with the book. The writing style, the plot. You name it. It's so horrible that it leaves a very bad taste-probably the taste of bile-in the mouth! The only plus to the book though, is that it mentions Nigeria there. One of the custodians of what they called the 'Atlantis Code' happened to be a traditional ruler from Ile Ife. I don't recommend the book.

Some 'unknown' books that i would recommend include:

Pillars of the Earth and World without End by Ken Follett. They are very interesting for those who are interested in Europe during Medieval times. Ken Folletts version, obviously.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time by Mark Haddon is different. It's the story of life through the eyes of a Child with Aspergers Syndrome. It probably won't appeal to everybody. But i certainly found it to be a good read.

The book of Night Women by Marlon James is unputdownable. Don't be surprised if, in the course of reading it, you feel tears trickling down your cheeks, or anger and resentment whelling up in you. It's that kind of book. It's the epic novel of 18-Century West Indian Slavery.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Charchar(f): 4:24pm On Nov 28, 2009
The twilight series. Great romance set with vampires. Excellent books for youth or adults very deep but not sexual
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by DisGuy: 5:02pm On Nov 28, 2009
Ifez:

Title "Feddie Girl: The Hilarious Adventures of an American Teen in a Nigerian Federal School"

The book is about this spoilt & wayward American babe that her parents send to boarding school in Naija as the last resort, so that she would learn a lesson in life and shape up her character. The 'omo-oyibo' get's to boarding house and has some interesting adventures and experiences,
I can't stop laughing o,  lwkmd!

Anyway sha, the book is on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Hilarious-Adventures-American-Nigerian-Federal/dp/0982452608

And also available from the publisher's site https://bernardbooks.com

You can also get the book in Naija. See the location and phone # at https://bernardbooks.com/news.html

this novel is a must-read for anyone who attended secondary school in Niaja. it brings back fond memories of those good old days!!!!!  Grin

Sorry why is this book that expensive? £14 shocked shocked
its not like the book was published under some extreme conditions with nepa and all in nigeria
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Nov 29, 2009
Pillars of the Earth and World without End by Ken Follett. They are very interesting for those who are interested in Europe during Medieval times. Ken Folletts version, obviously.

Pillars of the Earth was my first Follet book, couldn't put it down but my favourites are : A place called freedom & Code to Zero. I recently heard he's written a sequel to Pillars of the Earth and filming of the book started in June this year.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by beneli(m): 9:11pm On Nov 30, 2009
naijababe:

I recently heard he's written a sequel to Pillars of the Earth and filming of the book started in June this year.

The Sequel is 'World Without End'. It's also difficult to put down.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by eneeolus: 4:53pm On Dec 01, 2009
Just finished reading A FRACTION OF THE WHOLE by Steve Toltz. Currently reading a book called INFIDELS by Andrew Wheatcroft, an historical account of the scholarly polemics which have often underwritten the conflict between Islam and Christendom from medieval times to 9-11. When I'm done, I shall be moving on to I DO NOT COME TO YOU BY CHANCE by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by BSD: 8:44pm On Dec 01, 2009
I read both of those books by Ken Follett. Pillars of the Earth was great. I did not like the other one as much.

If anyone is looking for something new to read I would recommend picking up something from Japanese author Haruki Murakami.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 1:39pm On Dec 02, 2009
[size=13pt]Dominique i feel you. . . . . smiley

Topic. . .

Never Let Me Go by[i] Kazuo Ishiguro[/i]
I loved The Remains of the Day and so decided to read Ishiguro's other books. I was really rather disappointed. I expected and hoped for the subtle intricacies and fulfilling storytelling I got from The Remains of the Day, but didn't quite get it. Of course reading the story still left me with high regard for the author's imaginative and narrative abilities, but I felt disconnected to all of the characters and the story moved slowly for me. I will say this book is way better than Ishiguro's When we were Orphans, which I found almost ridiculous. Great writer, but I think he had it right with The Remains of the Day, not quite with this novel.
[/size]
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Epi: 1:51pm On Dec 02, 2009
How to Win a Cosmic War by Reza Aslan
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by adebayo201: 2:02pm On Dec 02, 2009
cry cry
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by iice(f): 2:46pm On Dec 02, 2009
Charchar:

The twilight series. Great romance set with vampires. Excellent books for youth or adults very deep but not sexual

shocked grin

beneli:

Thou speaketh my language. . .going to go look for them
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by beneli(m): 9:29pm On Dec 02, 2009
Thou speaketh my language. . .going to go look for them
[quote][/quote]

In that case, you will enjoy them both!

Another book i thoroughly enjoyed and which i would recommend for anybody interested in 'Historical' fiction with a spice of the exotic is 'The Glass Palace' by Amitav Ghosh. A fascinating story of love, adventure and hope that spans three generations and takes you from Burma through Malaya to India. I read it after my appetite for such 'cultural' fiction was whett by Kaled Hosseini's 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', another very interesting book, the plot of which unfolds in the Talibans Afganistan. But if asked to choose between the two, i would go for 'The Glass Palace'. If you don't have to choose, then buy them both. You won't regret it.

1 Like

Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by dominique(f): 9:53pm On Dec 02, 2009
The Body Farm by Patricia Cornwell. . .i'm just starting the book, cant say much cos i'm starting.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by mohawkchic(f): 1:05am On Dec 04, 2009
dominique:

The Body Farm by Patricia Cornwell. . .i'm just starting the book, cant say much cos i'm starting.

[size=14pt]~It's a good read if you're into Forensic Science!

~Currently reading "Cut & Run" By Jeff Abbot. . fascinating read! Thriller/Mystery oriented. . .

~Just finished reading "Panic" & "Fear" by the same Author past couple of days! I have to admit i havent read a book this fast in ages. .Finished each in a day. . Such a page turner. . .Will defo go seraching for other books by Jeff in my local library when am done w/ this![/size]
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by muhsin(m): 1:40pm On Dec 04, 2009
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by dominique(f): 1:50pm On Dec 04, 2009
mohawkchic:

[size=14pt]~It's a good read if you're into Forensic Science!

[/size]

yeah!! i'm loving it cheesy. i enjoy her Kay Scarpetta books better than her Virginia West books smiley
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by iice(f): 3:35pm On Dec 04, 2009
beneli:

In that case, you will enjoy them both!

Another book i thoroughly enjoyed and which i would recommend for anybody interested in 'Historical' fiction with a spice of the exotic is 'The Glass Palace' by Amitav Ghosh. A fascinating story of love, adventure and hope that spans three generations and takes you from Burma through Malaya to India. I read it after my appetite for such 'cultural' fiction was whett by Kaled Hosseini's 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', another very interesting book, the plot of which unfolds in the Talibans Afganistan. But if asked to choose between the two, i would go for 'The Glass Palace'. If you don't have to choose, then buy them both. You won't regret it.

Thanks.  I'll keep an eye out for them.

dominique:

I find her boring.  Barely finished The body farm.  Kellerman and her have the same style but i prefer Kellerman.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by adebayo201: 12:04am On Dec 05, 2009
no book in particular. but looking for things fall apart
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by TheSeeker(m): 12:32am On Dec 05, 2009
Liars and Thieves grin
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by adebayo201: 12:37am On Dec 05, 2009
TheSeeker:

Liars and Thieves grin
that is the best book ever grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 1:08am On Dec 06, 2009

[size=13pt]The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ by Agatha Christie
. . . .I got a hunch about 1/2 way through that one of the characters was the murderer - but could not even begin to see how they did it or were connected. My first read of a Christie book - and I'll be digging in to others since I enjoyed this one so much. kiss
[/size]
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by HarryPotter1(m): 11:16pm On Dec 06, 2009
1.Animal farm
2.Beauty and the Beast.
3.Snow white and the seven dwarfs.
4.Chipper by dozens.
lol am kidding check my next post dats wat am reading now.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by HarryPotter1(m): 11:17pm On Dec 06, 2009
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and Harry potter and the Deadly hallows by J K Rowling.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Suzanne84(f): 9:26am On Dec 07, 2009
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by JK Rowling
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by adebayo201: 11:53am On Dec 07, 2009
No book for naw
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 12:48pm On Dec 07, 2009

[size=13pt][b]I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell [/b]by~ Tucker Max
As long as you can laugh at drunk Hot guys this book is roll on the floor funny. . . . grin grin grin. I would not recommend it for a grandmama's and I wouldn't hand it to my religious parents to read either. All my friends have read it and we make jokes about how we have done similar things. GREAT GREAT GREAT AND FUNNY BOOK A+++++ kiss kiss kiss kiss
[/size]
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by adebayo201: 3:38pm On Dec 07, 2009
abeg u fit past am 4 here
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by netotse(m): 7:32pm On Dec 07, 2009
The Holy Spirit
-smith wigglesworth
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by SamMilla1(m): 10:46pm On Dec 07, 2009
Digital Fortress - Dan Brown

finished an hour ago

Now on

FIRST FAMILY - David Baldacci

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (100)

PLAGIARIZED (The Story Was Just The Beginning) / Blood For Blood:a Tale Of Treachery / A Story: Broken Vows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.