Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business - Phones (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business (54575 Views)

See How MTN Wants Us To Compulsorily Exhaust Our Data / How To Create Viber Account With U.S Number / MTN Boss Is Asking FG To Ban Whatsapp, Viber In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by murmee: 5:46am On Dec 08, 2016
koolaid87:

You mean Nitel..
No, he means NIPOST. GSM killed NIPOST. Tell me, how many people write letters these days? Text messaging has taken over. Do people send Birthday or Christmas cards again? The answer is no. Today's children don't even know what a Stamp looks like, talk less of using it.

1 Like

Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by idonbilivit(m): 5:52am On Dec 08, 2016
sleekydee1:
beht is their data we use to do whassaping, vibering and odas Na grin
Not really, a lot of people in major cities use ISP broadbands like Smile,Swift etc as they are faster and cheaper in comparison with GSM Networks like MTN and co. So it's really bad for their business. Lol
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by Nobody: 6:32am On Dec 08, 2016
Is empty hen mad or something, by the end of the day we will see who dem go ban, if na dem or watsapp.
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by pedrilo: 6:35am On Dec 08, 2016
Reminds me of ACCESS BANK message to their customers about MMM.

1 Like

Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by Eibams60(m): 6:50am On Dec 08, 2016
hmmm. pmb dat like diz kind of advise. am afraid they might end up adhering to diz advise ooo
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by amazon14: 7:13am On Dec 08, 2016
Have government of south Africa ban wassap?What do they take US for? I don't blame them after all every other country take Nigeria as fools
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by koolaid87: 7:38am On Dec 08, 2016
murmee:
No, he means NIPOST. GSM killed NIPOST. Tell me, how many people write letters these days? Text messaging has taken over. Do people send Birthday or Christmas cards again? The answer is no. Today's children don't even know what a Stamp looks like, talk less of using it.

word
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by Reference(m): 7:54am On Dec 08, 2016
stevebond007:
Your mates that are better than you, Orange, Vodafone, even Glo are not complaining
Na only u.
You guys make the most money in Nigeria, and still disrespect us,
Taking us for fools

By the way I discarded my MTn line long ago.

Same here. The first line I bought in 02' but today they are at the bottom of the pile and hardly used. Etisalat has ranked No.1 three years running.
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by Reference(m): 8:18am On Dec 08, 2016
My take on all this is that the regulator should take a holistic and studious look at the whole industry with a view to its development and sustainability. And it can only do this on a foundation of integrity and professionalism which it currently lacks.

Nigerians should also realise that the NCC is in between them and the operators for a smooth running of the industry in the overall interest of all. It is the doctor that can recommend painful treatmemts when necessary and we must remember that the free market competition that has driven down prices can get out of control and crash the market as we have seen with commodities internationally. The regulator (of some sort) OPEC has moved to raise oil prices because they have been too low, too long leading to instability in oil producing economies that if not checked will inevitabky kead to collapse of several oil companie and oil producing countries and guess what, future massive spikes in oil prices.

If we don't want to see the telecos crash (and believe you me they can crash), then we should not just dismiss their concerns with a wave of the hand. The fact that telecos in europe and america are more resilient to viber and whatsapp does not necessarily translate to Nigeria. We have peculiar challenges and a tougher operating environment as most business owners will attest to.

It is up to the regulator to find out if indeed this is a wolf cry or a genuine concern. But once again it takes an astute and honest regulator to adjudicate.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by MisterSam(m): 9:34am On Dec 08, 2016
But subscribers pay through DATA. U want to milk Nigerians dry abi?
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by gungab(m): 9:40am On Dec 08, 2016
Useless network
They better get there network servers fixed
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by wealth231(m): 9:45am On Dec 08, 2016
Nah thunder go kill you...idiot!
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by Bustincole(m): 10:51am On Dec 08, 2016
Who em tee hen epp...and dey claim to be d best netwok

try am make we cee

Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by sigmundphi: 11:00am On Dec 08, 2016
shedy03:

http://dailypost.ng/2016/12/07/whatsapp-viber-others-adversely-affecting-business-nigeria-mtn/

subscribers don't make much calls these days because of whatsapp, lolz.

Interesting argument but It does not seem the MTN boss was specifically or out-rightly advocating for a ban on the the OTT services (whatsapp viber....), It was more of a wake up call to the fact that the entire telcom industry is loosing revenue to these OTT guys and in fairness, after all MTN like other networks pay taxes and contribute heavy on tax to the economy. While some may argue against this, we can also ask, that outside communication and ease of information, don't we think these OTTs should also contribute to the economy infrastructure wise, for all the value they get from our pervasive use of their platforms ? This is another way to view it. Thought please anyone....?
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by sigmundphi: 11:01am On Dec 08, 2016
Reference:
My take on all this is that the regulator should take a holistic and studious look at the whole industry with a view to its development and sustainability. And it can only do this on a foundation of integrity and professionalism which it currently lacks.

Nigerians should also realise that the NCC is in between them and the operators for a smooth running of the industry in the overall interest of all. It is the doctor that can recommend painful treatmemts when necessary and we must remember that the free market competition that has driven down prices can get out of control and crash the market as we have seen with commodities internationally. The regulator (of some sort) OPEC has moved to raise oil prices because they have been too low, too long leading to instability in oil producing economies that if not checked will inevitabky kead to collapse of several oil companie and oil producing countries and guess what, future massive spikes in oil prices.

If we don't want to see the telecos crash (and believe you me they can crash), then we should not just dismiss their concerns with a wave of the hand. The fact that telecos in europe and america are more resilient to viber and whatsapp does not necessarily translate to Nigeria. We have peculiar challenges and a tougher operating environment as most business owners will attest to.

It is up to the regulator to find out if indeed this is a wolf cry or a genuine concern. But once again it takes an astute and honest regulator to adjudicate.

Interesting argument but It does not seem the MTN boss was specifically or out-rightly advocating for a ban on the the OTT services (whatsapp viber....), It was more of a wake up call to the fact that the entire telcom industry is loosing revenue to these OTT guys and in fairness, after all MTN like other networks pay taxes and contribute heavy on tax to the economy. While some may argue against this, we can also ask, that outside communication and ease of information, don't we think these OTTs should also contribute to the economy infrastructure wise, for all the value they get from our pervasive use of their platforms ? This is another way to view it. Thought please anyone....?
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by africana10: 11:05am On Dec 08, 2016
But the guy no talk say make dem ban Whatsapp and Viber na! He's just pained that they are not paying taxes because they are OTT (over the top) companies without physical presence in Nigeria. He just did not articulate himself properly.

1 Like

Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by BlancGold: 11:07am On Dec 08, 2016
shedy03:

http://dailypost.ng/2016/12/07/whatsapp-viber-others-adversely-affecting-business-nigeria-mtn/

Usually i don't do this but i'm just going to jump in, i read the statement and the MTN CEO's comments but i can't find where he specifically said "Whatsapp or Viber should be banned". To me this just seems like a business argument for a CEO who is concerned about staying in business. Yes, Whatsapp and Viber offer free calls and yes you use your mobile data to access the apps but of all the three parties only your mobile network is paying tax to the government and it doesn't seem fair to the mobile networks because they have the same offerings on their platforms which they are also being taxed for. However, does this mean Whatsapp and Viber should be banned? Hell no! even i will champion an uprising on that but to be fair to the mobile networks, the regulatory bodies should figure out a level playing ground so we can enjoy our free data calls in peace.
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by SleekyPosh(m): 11:08am On Dec 08, 2016
sleekydee1:
beht is their data we use to do whassaping, vibering and odas Na grin

My BRODAAAAAA...Naija and mADNESS NA 5 AND 6..
bUT MAKE DEM KUKU kill us naaa..hehe grin grin grin cool undecided grin grin grin smiley
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by skylane222(m): 11:10am On Dec 08, 2016
Reference:

Same here. The first line I bought in 02' but today they are at the bottom of the pile and hardly used. Etisalat has ranked No.1 three years running.
Nairaland and fake stories..When i saw this post on nairaland, i was upset because i read this same story myself two days ago..To me, this looks unfair. I rest my case..
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by skylane222(m): 11:20am On Dec 08, 2016
shedy03:

Na waooo..but no be watin the man talk na..Nairaland i hail una ooo...Fake news flying everywhere..
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by Tackleberry05: 11:41am On Dec 08, 2016
While all of you were busy killing yourselves over what a simple concerned business man didn't say or imply, I think it will be nice having this piece of info handy.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/remeepatel/reasons-why-whatsapp-is-ruining-your-life?utm_term=.ecz9XpGVw#.hja24M6Ey

grin
grin

Thank me later!!!!

Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by nickyblaze(m): 12:45pm On Dec 08, 2016
ehnok:
All MTN need to do is give the bunch of morons we have sitting on d red seat some money and they will take this into consideration...
Before yu know it, a Bill is passed
You no lie at all those goats
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by Odinz(m): 12:59pm On Dec 08, 2016
MTN! So they want us to suffer just so they can rake in more money. God is watching you o
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by Nja4Life: 3:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
Interesting ......

Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by investigator007: 8:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
Give us good networks services first before u complain.
Re: MTN Wants Whatsapp & Viber Banned In Nigeria, Says Affecting Its Business by CTechHub(m): 8:58pm On Dec 08, 2016
Hmm imagine! In this recession, Mtn is trying to add more salt to our wound. By the way, are they the only telecommunication network in Nigeria Are they the only ones affected? Why are they taking it so personal??

Last time I checked, Mtn still have more subscribers than other Telecom networks.
Anyway, lets watch and see how this drama unfolds.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Upload A Picture Of Your Homescreen And Let's Guess The Phone / FG To Reduce Data Cost From N1,000 To N390 Per Gigabyte / It's Official Burna Boy Is Breaking Guinness World Records With TECNO BOOM J7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.