Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,311 members, 7,811,925 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL (5397 Views)

COVID-19: Christ Embassy Church Shut Down In Akwa Ibom State / The Coronavirus: When God Goes Awol / When A Child Of God Goes Back Into Sin... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by Nobody: 12:44am On Dec 12, 2016
If your church collapse then you are not a true man of God! You is a fake. The holy spirit does not dwell in fake churches. Amen.
Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by mmsen: 1:11am On Dec 12, 2016
Question for the xtians - why does this keep happening at churches? Why are nightclubs not collapsing and killing the people inside? Why are brothels not collapsing on their occupants if god is so displeased by their actions?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by mmsen: 1:12am On Dec 12, 2016
Ferruccio:
Why do buildings collapse all the time in Nigeria?

Have you not noticed that it is churches that are collapsing?

That should be the question - how does the all-knowing, all-seeing god allow his sheep to come to such a horrible end?
Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by mmsen: 1:16am On Dec 12, 2016
hahn:

Does god not have a responsibility to protect everyone?

Ask them why they have lower standards of conduct for their deity than they have for human beings.

If a human father allowed tragedy to befall his children and did nothing to stop an avoidable event from happening that man would be held to account and demonized but xtians will make excuses for the worst oversights - whether that be collapsed buildings, abused children or terrorist attacks against church members, xtians will always ignore the lack of action from their all-knowing, all-powerful deity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by hahn(m): 12:26pm On Dec 12, 2016
Plappvillemoi:

In the Bible we see that God did protect those whose actions were in accordance to His foreordained plans and purpose. He did Protect His people severaly just as He promised them. You know what happened to them when they rebelled against God.

In the bible 2,000 years ago, yeah

In reality, here and now? What about the 2000 kids that die daily from disease and poverty? What is god doing about them?

4 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by Immorttal: 3:14pm On Dec 12, 2016
Plappvillemoi:

Am out to learn.
if indeed you are out to learn, you would have discarded Religion in the trash by now,. its now obvious the Religionist who were exposed to atheistic deductions and logics chooses to shut out simple logic over delusion.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by 0ubenji(m): 5:58pm On Dec 12, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
I said this on another thread

One thing that amazes me about theists especially Christians is the speed at which they interpret misfortunes that happen to atheists as their god showing his power, anger and telling atheists to repent from their "sinful ways"

Consider this, they talked of how Marilyn Monroe's death weeks after allegedly telling someone that "I don't need your Jesus" as sign of their god's power but when you now point to the plane crash that killed Myles Munroe and his wife (a Christian on his way to preach the gospel) you'll see them run around in circles by claiming God knows best or some other self defeating logic

Look at the thread on this church incident that hit front-page yesterday and see for yourself how Christians were blaming the engineers and construction workers for the building collapse while exonerating their imaginary Jewish folklore friend of all blames

If this however happened in an atheist meeting and the place caves in, these Christians would be very quick to point to that happening as god showing his power and getting angry at us, they wouldn't dare blame any engineering or construction fault even if it were obvious the fault comes from them

"This wouldn't have happened" many Christians would say "if they believed in my god"

"God is punishing them for their sins"

this also happens in real life a lot

1 atheist graduate couldn't get a job? move closer to Jesus, he has all the answers

Christian couldn't get a job? God is testing your faith in him, his time is the best

2 atheist is getting depressed? Jesus is the answer

Christian died of acute depression? god decided to take him so as to end his sadness and stop him backsliding

3 atheist kills someone? its the spirit of the devil that worked on him

a Christian kills someone while claiming god told him so? god knows best, maybe that person god told him to kill would've detonated a nuclear bomb in the future and god decided to save the situation

4 an atheist dies a violent death? that's what happens to those that don't believe in my god

a Christian dies a violent death? we are all going to die someday, I'm glad he died knowing Jesus

I could write over a thousand more examples

it seems every atheist "deserves" whatever misfortune befalls him and other atheists should be expecting a life of misfortunes but becomes a different ball game when one points out same or worse misfortunes that's happened to Christians

Religion does have degenerative effect on the brain
This statement is so objective to an impeccable standard.
Well said

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by joywendy(f): 11:50am On Dec 13, 2016
*coughs* I saw this somewhere and I totally relate with it. Since I saw this thread, I just knew it will be good to put it here

Sometimes ago, I shared a post of a friend on emotional intelligence. The Uyo church tragedy and the comments from my Facebook friends truly show Nigerians have a lot of emotional intelligence "growing up" to do.

If the mishap had occurred in say a beer palour, night club, or strip club, many religious people wouldn't have wasted time and thoughtlessly say : "na God catch them". Using the misery, misfortune and tragedy of others to score cheap religious points.

Sadly, same applies to atheist. I've read several post from my atheist friends on Facebook, mocking the dead, asking where their God was when the tragedy happened and other silly sort of comments. It's uncalled for and totally wrong.

Where is your empathy for fellow humans. Lives were lost and you see the tragedy as an avenue to score cheap points in furthering your atheism? Well you lack common sense and have a lot of emotional growing up to do.

To the senseless survivals of the tragedy who waste no time to update their Thanksgiving on Facebook, Ini Edo and co, you are all emotionally retarded and insensitive to the misfortunes of others and have a lot of growing up to do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by akintom(m): 12:32pm On Dec 13, 2016
joywendy:
*coughs* I saw this somewhere and I totally relate with it. Since I saw this thread, I just knew it will be good to put it here

Sometimes ago, I shared a post of a friend on emotional intelligence. The Uyo church tragedy and the comments from my Facebook friends truly show Nigerians have a lot of emotional intelligence "growing up" to do.

If the mishap had occurred in say a beer palour, night club, or strip club, many religious people wouldn't have wasted time and thoughtlessly say : "na God catch them". Using the misery, misfortune and tragedy of others to score cheap religious points.

Sadly, same applies to atheist. I've read several post from my atheist friends on Facebook, mocking the dead, asking where their God was when the tragedy happened and other silly sort of comments. It's uncalled for and totally wrong.

Where is your empathy for fellow humans. Lives were lost and you see the tragedy as an avenue to score cheap points in furthering your atheism? Well you lack common sense and have a lot of emotional growing up to do.

To the senseless survivals of the tragedy who waste no time to update their Thanksgiving on Facebook, Ini Edo and co, you are all emotionally retarded and insensitive to the misfortunes of others and have a lot of growing up to do.

I speak for myself as an atheist.

What better time to sensitize folks, against handing the responsibility of their safety, to an imaginary fairy creature?

What better time to sensitize folks, against the belief that there exists a god that intervenes in human experience?

What a better time to sensitize authority, against some religious leaders, who take liberty to put folks in hazard and peril path?

What better time to sensitize religious folks, that they will be held responsible for malicious act?

Condolences have been offered to the bereaved, at the appropriate forum, by those who bear such responsibility.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by Deicide: 1:10pm On Dec 13, 2016
joywendy:

Wow So we Humans Should Show Empathy? But not Yahweh in which they were worshiping? Where was he when blocks and metal was crushing people skull but it is we humans that should Show Empathy?

3 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by joywendy(f): 1:15pm On Dec 13, 2016
akintom:

I speak for myself as an atheist.

What better time to sensitize folks, against handing the responsibility of their safety, to an imaginary fairy creature?

What better time to sensitize folks, against the belief that there exists a god that intervenes in human experience?

What a better time to sensitize authority, against some religious leaders, who take liberty to put folks in hazard and peril path?

What better time to sensitize religious folks, that they will be held responsible for malicious act?

Condolences have been offered to the bereaved, at the appropriate forum, by those who bear such responsibility.

Please these doesn't make any sense to me.

So you think the better time to pass across your message is during terrible situations like this? What makes you different from the theist who assume something similar when it happens in a bar or when them homos are killed?

People died for Pete's sakes! It wont change people's opinion either ways and their eyes won't open no matter what you try to say to convince them that it was as a result of their own hands.

It just shows one has a person who lacks basic empathy for other people. When you use a bad situation to remedy yourself and prove you are right then off course there is something wrong somewhere.

If you were involved in this case, directly or indirectly...Will you go about saying what you are saying here to your folks at home? Won't you at least consider that saying such will be offensive in such moments? Do you think they will listen? of course not....

Empathy and sympathy are needed in the society for a reason. Don't go around doing what you won't like others doing to you to other people all in the name of passing across a point
Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by joywendy(f): 1:23pm On Dec 13, 2016
Deicide:

Wow So we Humans Should Show Empathy? But not Yahweh in which they were worshiping? Where was he when blocks and metal was crushing people skull but it is we humans that should Show Empathy?

Yes show empathy! Either ways if you can argue for people who were killed in bars and what have you, what makes it different for people who were in the church? Aren't they all people?

You guys seem to have forgotten all this and jump to making fun as though nothing serious happened. what makes you different from the theist that mocks you when you fall ill because you don't believe in God....how does it make u different?

You are both the same, different sides of the same coin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by plaetton: 2:09pm On Dec 13, 2016
joywendy:

Yes show empathy! Either ways if you can argue for people who were killed in bars and what have you, what makes it different for people who were in the church? Aren't they all people?

You guys seem to have forgotten all this and jump to making fun as though nothing serious happened. what makes you different from the theist that mocks you when you fall ill because you don't believe in God....how does it make u different?

You are both the same, different sides of the same coin.

Joywendy,
It is obvious that your own emotional intelligence has been found to be wanting.
First of all, you have noooo idea how emotional and angry I am at the needless loss of many lives in this tragedy.

You have noooo idea how further emotional and angry I am , knowing fully well that those directly and indirectly responsible for this tragedy will go Scott free, open other churches in future and continue to ply their trade.

You have noooo idea how emotional and angry I am , knowing fully well that the families of the victims would get ZERO compensation, not even funeral costs, no counseling,..in fact, they would likely be insulted with words like " it was the will of God" and other crap.

And my dear, this is a repeating scenario that we see every so often.
I truly wish the governor and the owner of the Church was among the dead,.then perhaps everyone would pay proper attention to these recurring tragedies.

Now, back to your question.
As I pointedly asked sometime ago when about 32 people were trampled to death during a night crusade in Anambra;
what is it that brings people out at odd hours, at odd places, at unsafe venues to venerate pulpit pim.ps and their useless Stone-age myths ?
What is missing or wrong with our national psyche that causes mental addictions to the remnants of toxic fumes from the Stone-age middle East ?

Like akintom says, there is NOO better time to remind ourselves, to take a sincere look at the silly beliefs that draw millions out into all manners of exploitations and dangers every single day.

It is the best time, the only time that we can attempt to SCORE important points with the rational part of the human mind.

There is NOO better time for reflection than now.
And people MUST BE forced to do this reflection.
By " forced" , I mean they must be goaded, prodded, even MOCKED into this important reflection.

We do not mock the dead. No.
We mock the living, the survivors, those that would be doing Thanksgiving services in the next few Sundays

In a few days time, all this would be forgotten, save for the families of the victims who would live silently with great pains that we could never imagine.
And then the rest of us would go back Church, unsafe places, to enrich charlatans, and thanking God for sparing our lives, while waiting for the next big Church tragedy to occur ?

This is why we cannot remain silent in the wake this current tragedy. undecided

12 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by akintom(m): 2:39pm On Dec 13, 2016
joywendy:

Please these doesn't make any sense to me.

So you think the better time to pass across your message is during terrible situations like this? What makes you different from the theist who assume something similar when it happens in a bar or when them homos are killed?

People died for Pete's sakes! It wont change people's opinion either ways and their eyes won't open no matter what you try to say to convince them that it was as a result of their own hands.

It just shows one has a person who lacks basic empathy for other people. When you use a bad situation to remedy yourself and prove you are right then off course there is something wrong somewhere.

If you were involved in this case, directly or indirectly...Will you go about saying what you are saying here to your folks at home? Won't you at least consider that saying such will be offensive in such moments? Do you think they will listen? of course not....

Empathy and sympathy are needed in the society for a reason. Don't go around doing what you won't like others doing to you to other people all in the name of passing across a point

If you ever know or understand the place of manipulative shock therapy, in mental conditioning, you will comprehend my gist.

Empathy does have different meaning, to the different folks who romances it.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by plaetton: 2:52pm On Dec 13, 2016
akintom:

If you ever know or understand the place of manipulative shock therapy, in mental conditioning, you will comprehend my gist.

Empathy does have different meaning, to the different folks who romances it.

SHOCK THERAPY !

That's the operative word.
cheesy
Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by joywendy(f): 3:08pm On Dec 13, 2016
plaetton:

Joywendy,
It is obvious that your own emotional intelligence has been found to be wanting.
First of all, you have noooo idea how emotional and angry I am at the needless loss of many lives in this tragedy.

You have noooo idea how further emotional and angry I am , knowing fully well that those directly and indirectly responsible for this tragedy will go Scott free, open other churches in future and continue to ply their trade.

You have noooo idea how emotional and angry I am , knowing fully well that the families of the victims would get ZERO compensation, not even funeral costs, no counseling,..in fact, they would likely be insulted with words like " it was the will of God" and other crap.

And my dear, this is a repeating scenario that we see every so often.
I truly wish the governor and the owner of the Church was among the dead,.then perhaps everyone would pay proper attention to these recurring tragedies.

Now, back to your question.
As I pointedly asked sometime ago when about 32 people were trampled to death during a night crusade in Anambra;
what is it that brings people out at odd hours, at odd places, at unsafe venues to venerate pulpit pim.ps and their useless Stone-age myths ?
What is missing or wrong with our national psyche that causes mental addictions to the remnants of toxic fumes from the Stone-age middle East ?

Like akintom says, there is NOO better time to remind ourselves, to take a sincere look at the silly beliefs that draw millions out into all manners of exploitations and dangers every single day.

It is the best time, the only time that we can attempt to SCORE important points with the rational part of the human mind.

There is NOO better time for reflection than now.
And people MUST BE forced to do this reflection.
By " forced" , I mean they must be goaded, prodded, even MOCKED into this important reflection.

We do not mock the dead. No.
We mock the living, the survivors, those that would be doing Thanksgiving services in the next few Sundays

In a few days time, all this would be forgotten, save for the families of the victims who would live silently with great pains that we could never imagine.
And then the rest of us would go back Church, unsafe places, to enrich charlatans, and thanking God for sparing our lives, while waiting for the next big Church tragedy to occur ?

This is why we cannot remain silent in the wake this current tragedy. undecided

Lol! All this long post for what? Abeg sir plaetton
please you can't speak for all atheists...

Yes I do agree with all your points stated and I know better now. I didn't mean to be mean or whatever the way I saw these whole issue from the surface is what I related with. It's how anyone else will relate to it and that's the honest truth, people will hardly see all these things you mentioned.

Eventually it seems like a lost cause. People will not seem to reason in that line of thought in this crucial moment. It just makes them to commit their time and whatever into it, making situations even worse than it already is.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by Deicide: 3:42pm On Dec 13, 2016
joywendy:

We did show Empathy yes We did that's what we humans have been doing for over a Thousand years now... Because all we have is Us!!!

I m sure if it's a big mosque that collapse the Christians would be quick to say it's Yahweh that's punishing them forgetting that they are Also "human"
Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by mmsen: 7:35pm On Dec 13, 2016
joywendy:

I feel doubly for the people who have been effected by this tragedy - firstly for the physical injury and loss of life but secondly because they were deceived or coerced into accepting mythology as a basis for their lives.

What I hope that we see is some accountability for this act of evil that has caused so much devastation - both physical and PR wise.

As to your comment about this happening at a beer parlor, strip club or hotel/brothel - have you not noticed how it doesn't happen to those venues, only those built to honour deities?

Why is that?

What does that tell us about the nature of the people involved in the business of religion? Does it not suggest that they are even more unscrupulous than those involved in other businesses?

Even the famously corrupt Nigerian civil service has managed to avoid the ignominy of building collapse and yet churches that take in so much money in Nigeria are crumbling, causing mass loss of life.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by plaetton: 8:32pm On Dec 13, 2016
mmsen:

As to your comment about this happening at a beer parlor, strip club or hotel/brothel - have you not noticed how it doesn't happen to those venues, only those built to honour deities?

Why is that?

What does that tell us about the nature of the people involved in the business of religion? Does it not suggest that they are even more unscrupulous than those involved in other businesses?

Even the famously corrupt Nigerian civil service has managed to avoid the ignominy of building collapse and yet churches that take in so much money in Nigeria are crumbling and causing mass loss of life.

Excellent, excellent point.

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by hopefulLandlord: 9:58am On Dec 15, 2016
plaetton:
Excellent, excellent point.
I concur
Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by jonbellion(m): 10:44am On Dec 15, 2016
dalaman:
The God hypothesis is a failed hypothesis and does no real work in reality. Either way God always wins. If a tragedy strikes, God wins. If it doesn't God wins as well. People will always excuse God and place the blame on other things and even on themselves when things go wrong. When things go right God gets all the credit.

If there is a drought and people pray to God for rain and no rain falls, the same people will give excuses as to why God didn't answer their prayers. If the rain falls after they have prayed they'll shout and praise their God for the rain. The God hypothesis does no real work in reality. It's always a win win situation for the God.

Where are all the pastors that claim to have the ability to raise people from the dead? There are many dead people they can bring back to life in Uyo. Where is naijadeyhia, 4everGod? His resurrection abilities are needed in Uyo.
lmaorotflljwkmd

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by jonbellion(m): 10:49am On Dec 15, 2016
It's quite sad
Killed in the sanctuary where they claim is the ultimate refuge
The pastor is untouchable
Afterall he's a pastor
It's just so sad

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by hopefulLandlord: 11:28am On Dec 15, 2016
jonbellion:
It's quite sad Killed in the sanctuary where they claim is the ultimate refuge The pastor is untouchable Afterall he's a pastor It's just so sad

really sad
Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by Nobody: 2:38am On Dec 16, 2016
The "bishop" is renouncing his title.....
What's more pathetic is that this will get buried under "God knows best".......
Until the next tragedy cry

3 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by hopefulLandlord: 10:28am On Apr 01, 2017
hmmm
Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by Niflheim(m): 9:09pm On Apr 01, 2017
The most worthless words that you can ever hear from a pastor are these:.................................."The lord will send his angels to protect you and rescue you!!!"
Re: Akwa Ibom State Tragedy: When God Goes AWOL by ogyunging(m): 6:07pm On Mar 19, 2018
When God goes AWOL...
Or rather went MIA...
Rili he dont KIA...
He wasn't even DIA...

As predicted those peeps are forgotten...
The ministry is waxing even stronger...
The families where not compensated... Adequately...
I chose not to weep for my nation, rather i will attack the dark with light. The xtians say the kingdom is taken by force. I will take my nation with light. I dey text U!!!!!
I cover those poor souls in light wherever they are... Wherever they allowed themselves to be after being hoodwinked by those scammers. Deuces.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lord Have We Not Prophesied In Your Name? A Closer Look At Matthew 7:21-23 / What's Your Take On Judging Others? / Why You Need To Avoid Deliverance Ministries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.