Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,475 members, 7,830,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

North Cyprus - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / North Cyprus (771887 Views)

Reasons Not To Go To North Cyprus To Study And Work. / Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) / About To Fly To North Cyprus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (356) (Go Down)

Re: North Cyprus by iz2much: 11:14am On Dec 10, 2010
@abdulhai
I think so, if u minimize ur spendin
the utilities bills out side campus is like 20euros per month
Re: North Cyprus by abduladi(m): 2:24pm On Dec 10, 2010
K, Thnx. Someone like u, wats ur minimum that will be enough to survive
Re: North Cyprus by wip4: 3:53pm On Dec 10, 2010
Godalone,

As soon as student make payment to EMU and send us payment slip, we shall trace the payment and confirm it and then send the CONFIRMATION LETTER to the student. Wire transfer is not a one day JOB it might take 3 to 5days to get all traced. I personally went to the account Room yesterday to follow up your cousin payment which i found and i have sent him his CONFIRMATION LETTER today, kindly ask him to check his email.

@ ALL ,

We shall start sending names to embassy starting from 20th of DEc 2010, so all EMU prospective students that had paid can start preparing their visa documentations and proceed to embassy after the above said date, and others that are yet to pay shuld make payment as soon as possible so we can send their names asap.
Re: North Cyprus by lolatom: 8:34pm On Dec 10, 2010
wip4:

Godalone,

As soon as student make payment to EMU and send us payment slip, we shall trace the payment and confirm it and then send the CONFIRMATION LETTER to the student. Wire transfer is not a one day JOB it might take 3 to 5days to get all traced. I personally went to the account Room yesterday to follow up your cousin payment which i found and i have sent him his CONFIRMATION LETTER today, kindly ask him to check his email.

@ ALL ,

We shall start sending names to embassy starting from 20th of DEc 2010, so all EMU prospective students that had paid can start preparing their visa documentations and proceed to embassy after the above said date, and others that are yet to pay shuld make payment as soon as possible so we can send their names asap.

I'm still expecting a resonse as per my application. I would be paying my tution within 24hrs of getting my admission letter but i don't know if I would still be able to meet up with the names the school would be sending to the embassy for the feb admission? I'm jst curious.
thanks as i await your response.
Re: North Cyprus by wip4: 9:02pm On Dec 10, 2010
lolatom,

Your application has been sent to the right department and i will like to inform you that any transfer applicant might take up to 10 working days to get the admission letter cos it has to pass tru some head of departments to exempt some courses for you and i know your application is transfer application so relax your mind your admission letter will be out surely next week, i do receive more than 20 applications weekly from diffrent countries and i ensured i follow up. As soon as your application is out i shall send to you and get you scholarship as well. Dont worry about names we are sending to embassy, these are names of admitted EMU students that already paid there fees and i must tell you each semester we send names many times to embassy.
Re: North Cyprus by lolatom: 9:34pm On Dec 10, 2010
wip4:

lolatom,

Your application has been sent to the right department and i will like to inform you that any transfer applicant might take up to 10 working days to get the admission letter cos it has to pass tru some head of departments to exempt some courses for you and i know your application is transfer application so relax your mind your admission letter will be out surely next week, i do receive more than 20 applications weekly from diffrent countries and i ensured i follow up. As soon as your application is out i shall send to you and get you scholarship as well. Dont worry about names we are sending to embassy, these are names of admitted EMU students that already paid there fees and i must tell you each semester we send names many times to embassy.

thank you so much for the assurance.
Like I said earlier on, I will patiently await d admission letter. Thanks for your help.
I look forward to hearing from EMU soon.
Re: North Cyprus by iz2much: 6:31am On Dec 11, 2010
@Abdulihia

I spend like 70TL in a week
Then utilities includes Water, Electricity and Internet,80TL for that also in a month
Re: North Cyprus by Godalone(m): 5:44pm On Dec 11, 2010
Wip4,
Thanks,i have seen it.
Re: North Cyprus by abduladi(m): 5:27pm On Dec 12, 2010
Thnx iz2much. I guess am on track
Re: North Cyprus by wip4: 1:48pm On Dec 13, 2010
EMU’S Success On The List Of ‘The Best 2000 Universities Of The World’.

Operating under Middle East Technical University, University Ranking by Academic Performance (URAP) Center announced 2010 World University Rankings on 3 December, 2010. Based on the rankings made by University Ranking by Academic Performance Research Laboratory, Eastern Mediterranean University (EMU) has been placed as the 1695th university among 2000 universities. 2010 Rankings have been published on the URAP internet site (www.urapcenter.org). http://www.urapcenter.org/2010/world.php?q=MTUwMS0xNzUw

According to the rankings, EMU is the only university in TRNC which has been listed among the best 2000 world universities. EMU Rector’s Office expressed their satisfaction in URAP rankings and stated that EMU has always acted with responsibility in promoting the higher education in TRNC. Such achievements gained at the international platforms carry great importance both for EMU and TRNC.
Re: North Cyprus by btluv: 7:23pm On Dec 13, 2010
@ WIP 4
If am to base my decision on this ranking i am probably going to change my mind, because over 5 Nigerian schools
superseded EMU. Nigerian schools aren't doing badly as we taught.

Country Ranking University Name World Ranking Category Article H-Index Citation Google Scholar Impact Collaboration Total
1 University of Ibadan 931 A 72.380 29.110 63.160 30.090 46.220 45.350 286.290
2 Obafemi Awolowo University 1389 B+ 53.350 15.320 18.470 23.680 23.020 30.250 164.080
3 University of Lagos 1516 B 35.170 18.500 20.270 16.760 16.290 27.760 134.750
4 University of Nigeria 1526 B 45.200 16.910 12.930 18.590 15.530 22.530 131.690
5 University of Benin 1672 B 34.230 12.670 12.030 18.590 10.660 11.700 99.880

But the school is standard that i Know,
Re: North Cyprus by wip4: 9:49pm On Dec 13, 2010
btluv.

PLEASE CHANGE YOUR MIND NOBODY ASKED you to study at EMU initially or abroad. it will do you Good to know the difference between URAP rankings and webometric Rankings.
Re: North Cyprus by tEsLim(m): 8:27am On Dec 14, 2010
Can current students in the school share what they like about it and the town of Famagusta itself? Shopping malls? Or do I have to travel to Turkey every-time for shopping? I found some video on youtube where EMU student where protesting the video doesn't look good sad . Thoguh I'm sure if after one year and not enjoying the school they'll let me have transcripts and get transfered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM9cdhxe4hQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QXJqf0L_NU
Re: North Cyprus by wip4: 11:09am On Dec 14, 2010
Teslim,

All students are allow to transfer to anywhere you want in this world from EMU, mind you that VIDEO you posted was YEARSSSS back and no UNiversity in the whole of TRNC can stand EMU. Also what are you shopping for? pls pls pls stop making me to laugh like a kid, is it that you are coming to NC with 100000000000000000000000000000TRN USD? that you are talking of shoping as if you can buy all they hav at TRNC.

@ALL,

The advice i do give new students is just that TRNC is really good for studies cos is free crime zone and those that really want to study can do that with piece of mind with good university facilities, BUT if you want to be doing GANGSTERS, HIP- HOP RIOT, WORK ( to earn 300000USD pa week or day), etc etc THEN you can go and study in another country that have what you want.
Re: North Cyprus by nestasammy: 1:55pm On Dec 14, 2010
Hi Guys
Going through these pages is not a day job,

Please i quickly want to ask the whole house if an average person from an average home could survive there in EMU NC? Please be honest with your response
i & my family can afford to pay the first fees as an undergraduate but may not be able to afford the subsequence fees coz i would be getting a lilttle or less support from my family for the subsequence fees, (as my siblings are also in school)
Can i be able to fund my schooling (to a reasonable level) at EMU with the avaliable student jobs? Please not dirty dirty jobs (yahoo yahoo, drugs, illegal, ) coz i can't do that.
I believe i working and lilttle money from my family can sustain me
Please let me know
Re: North Cyprus by tEsLim(m): 7:22pm On Dec 14, 2010
Well wip baba I dont mean to sound like i was gonna do a million dollar shopping. But I searched the internet and didn't find a lot of information. And malls are good cheesy , i.e I plan leaving behind my regular ps3-60gb because it would be big to travel with and getting a new ps3 slim. Atleast would like to have things to make life interesting while new in a place trying to make new friends etc. So couldnt find shops online in NC selling stuffs like that that interest me. There are simple things I always like to get.

You can suggest websites you know. I checked though return ticket Ercan to Turkey is only $110 it could be worth it. Once a while to be in a big city.
Re: North Cyprus by iz2much: 8:38pm On Dec 14, 2010
@tEsLim
If u got any thing please bring it, even food stuffs and clothes, anything. else broz u go hear am

@nestasammy

The only reason you should be here then is been on scholarship. 100% will do you good
except that forget
as UNCLE wip4 said, its just for studying. if u got pple who came here for the fall semester ask them how far. am sure they have their story now.
Re: North Cyprus by btluv: 11:13pm On Dec 14, 2010
wip4:

btluv.

PLEASE CHANGE YOUR MIND NOBODY ASKED you to study at EMU initially or abroad. it will do you Good to know the difference between URAP rankings and webometric Rankings.
Am sorry if i got you angry, was only trying to stress that Nigerian schools are equally good.
So our people can also believe in them.
You have contributed so much to this thread, i never meant to rubbish your school,
Am sincerely sorry if i did sound like that,
Re: North Cyprus by wip4: 12:03am On Dec 15, 2010
teslim,

I was kidding with you anyway!! There are few good shops you can get quality stuff in NC the only difference is that it might be expensive due to that fact that high percent of stuff comes from Turkey. Sure you can travel to Turkey anytime you want and also to other countries. When you wana come to NC as My broda iz2much said you will need to bring alot like Food stuffs from naija and even bathroom slippers cos the prices differs to what you might have bin used to in naija. as the least plate of food as far as i know goes for 500Naira whereas you can eat 20naira beans and 15 naira bread in naija to make your stomach strong which you cant do in NC.

btluv,

I was not angry at all but i was just trying to point to you that, the ranking i posted was URAP and not WORLD ranking of universities. The world ranking of university ranked EMU to be 1704th in the world while the nearest Nigerian university was University of ilorin 5484. Source : http://www.webometrics.info/rank_by_country.asp?country=ng  Nigerian Universities are not so bad but they are cripple by many cancerous factors like strike, lack of modern facilities and low technology transfer that is why many or some seek for education in environment they can better themselves and then return home if they choose.

nestasammy,

I am quite sure Iz2much has answered your questions. if you dont have sponsor that will take care of your educational fees then NC is not a good place for you, if wat you are just looking for is a job to sustain you, you might get and you might not get depends on many factors, that is why EMU is giving Merit-based scholarship to assist applicant in their education here.
Re: North Cyprus by tEsLim(m): 1:34pm On Dec 15, 2010
I'm about to schedule my flight to Abuja 23rd since wip4 said we can start going to the embassy from 20th. Does anybody have information on when the embassy closes for the holiday? Or do we just wait till January? I have a flight ticket already for Istanbul > Ercan 18th January. All my docs are ready for the embassy. I'm scheduling flights earlier so atleast maybe it could be cheaper and I dont want to be in tight corners so wanna be prepared in advance
Re: North Cyprus by Yemming(m): 12:12am On Dec 17, 2010
tEsLim:

Can current students in the school share what they like about it and the town of Famagusta itself? Shopping malls? Or do I have to travel to Turkey every-time for shopping? I found some video on youtube where EMU student where protesting the video doesn't look good sad . Thoguh I'm sure if after one year and not enjoying the school they'll let me have transcripts and get transfered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM9cdhxe4hQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QXJqf0L_NU

my brother, based on what i heard, the video you saw there, was the protest by old students when the school fees was too high and inorder to make the school authorities to see their frustration, they had to protest,

care to watch this clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD816FFIyms&feature=related

@wip4,

you are the most patient person i have ever seen,  olorun, i really wish i have such amount of patience,

btluv:

@ WIP 4
If am to base my decision on this ranking i am probably going to change my mind, because over 5 Nigerian schools
superseded EMU. Nigerian schools aren't doing badly as we taught.

Country Ranking University Name    World Ranking Category Article H-Index Citation Google Scholar Impact Collaboration Total
1                    University of Ibadan                 931 A 72.380 29.110 63.160 30.090 46.220 45.350 286.290
2                    Obafemi Awolowo University       1389 B+ 53.350 15.320 18.470 23.680 23.020 30.250 164.080
3                    University of Lagos               1516 B 35.170 18.500 20.270 16.760 16.290 27.760 134.750
4                    University of Nigeria               1526 B 45.200 16.910 12.930 18.590 15.530 22.530 131.690
5                    University of Benin               1672 B 34.230 12.670 12.030 18.590 10.660 11.700 99.880

But the school is standard that i Know,

lol,  u make me laff gan ooo,  chaii u wan dey compare sleep with death,  abeg stop being patriotic and face the honest truth,  nigeria's education is rubbish,  and please this thread is mearnt for students who are willing to come to cyprus for their education not bypasser pls,  dont take this as an insult,  i am just trying to let you know that you shouldn't compare nigeria's education system with this country,  they are miles apart,  and talking about ranking, do you know that the faculty of business and economics of eastern meditteranean university has just been ranked one of the best six business faculty in the world and according to webometric ranking, no nigerian university is in 1 to 5000 universities in the world,  please get your facts right,

and less i forget, i am once a student of the number 1 university in nigeria,  greatest akokites, GREAT, UNILAG

i am grateful to nairaland,  and i am happy i choose emu,  you can follow up my post on this thread,  also charleskay or any emu students,  please dont discourage students,

@all,  i will advice you guys to come to emu,  because the school gives you better opportunities and the learning environment is very friendly,  based on what i have seen on this island, EMU still remains the best on this island,  so please choose wisely,  there are several old students from other schools on the island who are transfering to EMU,,  please if you are not financially buoyant,  please dont come to this island oooo, and if you are coming, make sure you come with your God,  because it will be very hard for you to hustle and study at the same time.   to before warned is to before harmed,

the school also gives you the opportunity of transfering to different schools in america, poland, china, canada, ukraine, and some other schools around the world on an exchange program for a semester,

so my brothers and sisters,  please choose wisely,  like they say, you can only take a donkey to the well., you can not force the donkey to drink water from the well, 

God bless you all,  God bless wip4, God bless nigeria and God bless nairaland,

mind you, i am not campaigning for wip4,  i am only grateful and thankful to him for the role he played in securing my admission,  tomode ba dupe ana, ari mi gba,

peace,
Re: North Cyprus by wip4: 6:58am On Dec 17, 2010
yemming,

Waow so you have so much time to write the piece above hmmmm , i do hope u are preparing for exams anyway GURU? am so much busy conference, presentations and seminars in and out. Good job broda!

@ALL PROSPECTIVE EMU students,

I wish to inform you that , kindly apply for EMU MERIT-BASED scholarship as it is still on, you can send your scholarship application to me through scholarship@emu.edu.tr

Furthermore, I will also like to remind those student who have received admission but have not paid their tuition fees to pay their tuition fees as soon as possible and forward the receipt to our international center office via international.center@emu.edu.tr so as to enable us to process the final stages of your admission, make Visa arrangements with the Embassy and prepare your accommodation. We shall soon be sending names of paid students to the embassy any moment from now.

For those that have applied and yet to obtain their acceptance letters should kindly allow some time for the concerned departments to work on your documents as we do verify all documents submitted. As soon as the acceptance letters are out we shall send to you all.

Congratulations once again on your acceptance to Eastern Mediterranean University and we look forward to welcoming you here on campus.

Warm Regards,

International Office

Eastern Mediterranean University

Northern Cyprus

http://ic.emu.edu.tr

+90 392 630 2444
+90 392 630 3201
+90 392 630 2690
Re: North Cyprus by btluv: 11:04am On Dec 18, 2010
@ Yemming
talking about ranking, do you know that the faculty of business and economics of eastern Mediterranean university has just been ranked one of the best six business faculty in the world,

I am not disputing the fact that the EMU is great, but just want to clarify your point.
EMU's faculty of business and economics is not in the best six in the world but among the best 6 in Turkey not world
go through that site very well,

@WIP4
Yemming is right u really patient and u earn my respect big time. do i have never met you nor talk to before but man
i can lay my life down my life for you , (LOL),
Re: North Cyprus by abduladi(m): 6:59pm On Dec 18, 2010
imagine all fligths frm lag are 2 am. but i like there long time between flights sha
Re: North Cyprus by lolatom: 7:47pm On Dec 18, 2010
abduladi:

imagine all fligths frm lag are 2 am. but i like there long time between flights sha

how much did you buy your ticket please?
Re: North Cyprus by abduladi(m): 9:21pm On Dec 18, 2010
Hvn't bought yet. But the cheapest is wit emirate, 123k Naira. But turkish airline is 1k dollars. Its the one that leaves 2am. Just chk the airline sites for bookings. Btw these are one way fares
Re: North Cyprus by nedostic: 9:41am On Dec 19, 2010
pls can anyone who attends EMU tell me the duration of the masters programme in economics?also how much is the tuition fees for the entire duration of the programme? how much is the average living expense in naira as well in northern cyprus for a student in a month or perhaps a year?

hope one can sponsor himself?
Re: North Cyprus by abduladi(m): 10:13am On Dec 20, 2010
Guy, just tk ur time to read the forum. U'll get more than ur askin for
Re: North Cyprus by abduladi(m): 6:48am On Dec 21, 2010
Guys pls i'll like to knw, is it cheaper to buy fones frm turkey than buyin frm Naija here. Something like blackberry
Re: North Cyprus by emmanok24(m): 10:29am On Dec 21, 2010
Please Nairalander I really want to relocate to North Cyprus to Hustle for some time, how doI go by it as i learnt i will need an Invitation letter. Can anybody help with that?
Re: North Cyprus by lolatom: 11:10am On Dec 21, 2010
abduladi:

Guys pls i'll like to knw, is it cheaper to buy fones frm turkey than buyin frm Naija here. Something like blackberry

Blackberry messenger won't work in North Cyprus,

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (356)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.