Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,377 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? (15134 Views)

Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. / How To Overcome The Pains Of Distance Relationships / Romantic Love Text Message And Advice For Distance Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by londoner: 10:20pm On Nov 15, 2009
I just wanted to know peoples experiences and advice.

I've been in a long distance relationship for a little over a year now, I love the guy and believe he loves me, but I am beginning to feel the strain, and we are falling out quite often now. Is this normal? How do we get over this hurdle?

Have you been through the same or know people who have?
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by Vicki09(f): 10:49pm On Nov 15, 2009
I'm in a very long distance relationship my boyfriend lives in Nigeria and I live in the US. it has been hard but he will be moving to the states in January so that will ease the strain. grin
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by londoner: 10:52pm On Nov 15, 2009
Thats nice vicky09, are you bringing him to the US or is he getting there under his own effort?

1 Like

Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by axeman85(m): 10:55pm On Nov 15, 2009
@poster

its very difficult as it requires a lot of patience and understanding. i am in one for more than 15months now this year alone i have made 3trips to naija already just to spend time with her.  and already getting packed again for january. constant communication, emails, phone calls really help and sometimes you take things easy as fighting wull only makes matters worse.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by londoner: 11:38pm On Nov 15, 2009
@axeman, I'm abt 15 months into it myself, its difficult, we end up arguing on almost every phonecall now. The distance is making me so insecure. I've seen him once since last Nov and it seems to be much worse after the trip. Its making me quite sad because I really love him, but I'm starting to see you need much more than that to survive.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by axeman85(m): 11:46pm On Nov 15, 2009
@poster

i can understand what you going through and how you feel. thats what happens you both tend to disagree and argue on most things and it makes matters worse becuse there is nothing you can do about it. thats why i said somethings would happen that if you were in naija you both would have trashed it out but cos u r here you just have to put up with most things. and in regards to the insecurity you just have to believe and trust ur guy although its not that easy becos right now anytime i cal my babe and she doesnt answer, different thoughts start going through my mind. even thou i trust her soo much but few things happening at the minute is not making all well.

you definately need more than love.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by 190: 11:49pm On Nov 15, 2009
never works

tried one from lagos and she was in abuja
and IT CRASHED

cos she was gettin screwed big tyme~

It never works~
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by axeman85(m): 11:51pm On Nov 15, 2009
@190

its very difficult and hard work and also it depends on the individuals involved. it didnt work for you doesnt mean it wont work for others.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by londoner: 11:56pm On Nov 15, 2009
@axeman, you are right, I need to just trust him, but I dont naturally trust and I didn't have enough time to get to know him fully before he went back to Ghana.

I'm worried I will end up destroying a perfectly good relationship. He is not having an easy time of it where he is and sometimes it means I have to keep how I'm feeling to myself so as to not overburden him, but then it frustrates me that my feelings seem to be coming second.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by cantell(m): 12:17am On Nov 16, 2009
@Poster,
It doesn't work. Believe me. It doesn't. How do you love someone you barely see? How? Tell me.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by N101: 12:19am On Nov 16, 2009
@ londoner

From experience I can tell you that if you're quarrelling a lot you have to identify why that is.  Is it because of miscommunication, assumptions, or is one of you not listening to the other? 

Has he been supportive of you in the past?  If it's a case where he's having a hard time now, yes, you should be supportive, it may be his turn now and your turn at another time.  Has he moved back home and is he having a hard time re-adjusting or is it work/situation-related?

Trust plays a BIG part in long distance relationships.  You need to address your own trust issues, but if you feel something isn't right don't ignore it.  Wish you the best.

1 Like

Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by OvieE: 12:23am On Nov 16, 2009
Vicki 09:

I'm in a very long distance relationship my boyfriend lives in Nigeria and I live in the US. it has been hard but he will be moving to the states in January so that will ease the strain. grin

I am in your shoe too. I got marry last. My wife still in Nigeria and I am in USA as well. January or February she will join. I cannot wait because it will help me a lot to ease extra spending and worrying.

@poster, listen tour heart. It works if you focus. Just be patient. I know is not easy, always talk more often. I know is money when you call long distance but it will ease your pain or worrying.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by 190: 12:29am On Nov 16, 2009
IT DOSENT WORK

~a wise is enough for the word~
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by OvieE: 12:32am On Nov 16, 2009
axeman85:

@poster

i can understand what you going through and how you feel. thats what happens you both tend to disagree and argue on most things and it makes matters worse becuse there is nothing you can do about it. thats why i said somethings would happen that if you were in naija you both would have trashed it out but cos u r here you just have to put up with most things. and in regards to the insecurity you just have to believe and trust your guy although its not that easy becos right now anytime i cal my babe and she doesnt answer, different thoughts start going through my mind. even thou i trust her soo much but few things happening at the minute is not making all well.

you definately need more than love.

You are right on bold part. My wife and I argue and disagree most time. I sometime tell her I need more than the love all the time. But oneday all will be over.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by baybbootz(f): 1:33am On Nov 16, 2009
IT DOSENT WORK

~a wise is enough for the word~

gezzzzzzz tk it eazz nawww tongue tongue, she might jus b luky, ghana aint 2 farrr,

How do you love someone you barely see? How? Tell me
grin grin
d love of our creator?? jus told yhu

@poster
if yhu 2 were meant 2 b, distance can not seperate yall.
jus tk d meaningful advices n work on yhur relationship, if it z worth it. kiss kiss
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by Vicki09(f): 5:38am On Nov 16, 2009
Londoner - He is doing most of the work I'm helping out a little but hes is doing most of the work to get himself here.

OvieE - How long have you been married to your wife now?
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by coolier(f): 9:56am On Nov 16, 2009
'Out of sight, out of mind'!

2 Likes

Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by axeman85(m): 10:01am On Nov 16, 2009
@poster

i understand exactly ow u feel but all i will say is keep hanging in there and sometimes you just have to keep your feelings to urself. in respect to tough times. i am in one right now. her parents are giving her too much stress and pressures at home plainly because we are from different tribes igbo and yoruba.  so that is putting stress on the relationship for the past few weeks,  i have been the one always doing the calling and communication even if i feel i am not getting much attention i should be getting, but all i can do is take things the way they are and continue supporting her and just overlook it. as it is only for a short time.

out of sight doesnt necessarily or does not always equals to out of mind.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by ruskiee(m): 10:06am On Nov 16, 2009
Hmmmn dunno much about long distance.
Little i do know is that it's a lot of hard work and dedication.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by zeemami(f): 10:11am On Nov 16, 2009
it depends, if u want it to work it wud
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by cantell(m): 11:10am On Nov 16, 2009
@baybbootz,
I said "barely" so using God as an example is not an option. You haven't seen God, not even for once.
@All,
A woman can remain faithful to her man if she wants to. With a man, its difficult. We all know that sex is more physical for men while sex is emotional for women. A woman who truly loves her man would never even think of sleeping with another man. A man can sleep with any woman and think nothing of it. There are few men who could resist that.
It can work in marriages because marriage is way too different from a relationship. They stand to lose a lot if things go wrong.
In a relationship, its 50-50 chance. Believe me, you wouldn't want to take that risk.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 16, 2009
e no fit work grin
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by BoosGal(f): 1:31pm On Nov 16, 2009
I'm in the same situation, my guy is in US (from Nigeria) and I'm in the UK, seeing him soon enough but we argue a lot. It all depends on you and him. The worst thing you can do is be insecure, you need trust otherwise your never gona get through it. I mean i never saw myself in a long distance relationship but cuz i love my boo so much im gona do it, and when we are together I'm gona look back at this and realise all the pain/arguing/tears was worth it.

1 Like

Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by OvieE: 4:05pm On Nov 16, 2009
Vicki 09:

Londoner - He is doing most of the work I'm helping out a little but hes is doing most of the work to get himself here.

OvieE - How long have you been married to your wife now?

We married for one year now and she is due to come to US next month or January.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by OvieE: 4:10pm On Nov 16, 2009
axeman85:

@poster

i understand exactly ow u feel but all i will say is keep hanging in there and sometimes you just have to keep your feelings to urself. in respect to tough times. i am in one right now. her parents are giving her too much stress and pressures at home plainly because we are from different tribes igbo and yoruba. so that is putting stress on the relationship for the past few weeks, i have been the one always doing the calling and communication even if i feel i am not getting much attention i should be getting, but all i can do is take things the way they are and continue supporting her and just overlook it. as it is only for a short time.

out of sight doesnt necessarily or does not always equals to out of mind.

You are not just encouraging the poster, you are encouranging me as well. This is kind of post that bring people together. thank you.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by OvieE: 4:13pm On Nov 16, 2009
BoosGal:

I'm in the same situation, my guy is in US (from Nigeria) and I'm in the UK, seeing him soon enough but we argue a lot. It all depends on you and him. The worst thing you can do is be insecure, you need trust otherwise your never gona get through it. I mean i never saw myself in a long distance relationship but cuz i love my boo so much im gona do it, and when we are together I'm gona look back at this and realise all the pain/arguing/tears was worth it.

Yes indeed. Thanks
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by BoosGal(f): 4:20pm On Nov 16, 2009
OvieE:
Yes indeed. Thanks

No probs just believe x
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by africhika(f): 4:36pm On Nov 16, 2009
quote by coolier:

« #16 on: Today at 02:56:34 AM »
'Out of sight, out of mind'!

it's true.

i'm a sucker for romantic ideals, but long distance isn't realistic.
the only way is to eventually close the distance.
i couldn't do it for long.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by iice(f): 5:23pm On Nov 16, 2009
N101:

@ londoner

From experience I can tell you that if you're quarrelling a lot you have to identify why that is.  Is it because of miscommunication, assumptions, or is one of you not listening to the other? 

Has he been supportive of you in the past?  If it's a case where he's having a hard time now, yes, you should be supportive, it may be his turn now and your turn at another time.  Has he moved back home and is he having a hard time re-adjusting or is it work/situation-related?

Trust plays a BIG part in long distance relationships.  You need to address your own trust issues, but if you feel something isn't right don't ignore it.  Wish you the best.

I agree
Though long distance is not for me.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by londoner: 5:45pm On Nov 16, 2009
N101:

@ londoner

From experience I can tell you that if you're quarrelling a lot you have to identify why that is.  Is it because of miscommunication, assumptions, or is one of you not listening to the other?  Has he been supportive of you in the past?  If it's a case where he's having a hard time now, yes, you should be supportive, it may be his turn now and your turn at another time.  Has he moved back home and is he having a hard time re-adjusting or is it work/situation-related?

Trust plays a BIG part in long distance relationships.  You need to address your own trust issues, but if you feel something isn't right don't ignore it.  Wish you the best.

All of the above have come into play at some time or another. He relocated early on in our relationship and without much notice, so therefore I feel I have been the one mainly playing the supportive role although he does what he can, but his frustrations are job related. I just feel the relationship is more about his needs than mine now, after a year of it I'm wondering when my needs will get a look in.

I have serious trust issues, but its really hard  for me to believe that a man will not have sex or sexual contact with any woman in over a year, but he claims he has been faithful and I have no evidence to the contrary. I get so paranoid and end up accusing him and ofcourse he gets offended and angry. I feel it will make no difference even if he moves to the Uk, afterall you either trust someone or you dont right?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by londoner: 5:47pm On Nov 16, 2009
@ Cantell, I dont know HOW you love someone you barely see, all I can tell you is that I DO.
Re: Can Long Distance Relationships Really Work Out? by lostgirl: 5:48pm On Nov 16, 2009
@ poster. If you are really in love you have to remember what brought you to that feeling. Be creative in your communications with your loved one. Instead of an email, send an old fashion handwritten letter. Spray a little perfume on it an seal it with a kiss. Yes its corny and old fashioned! But its romantic and memorable. If its real, just hang in there. Start discussing ways to be together that will work for both of you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

This Is What Happens When A White Man Marries A Busty Black Woman((pictures!!)) / Can A Woman Propose To A Man? / Which Lady Would You Smash Among These Ladies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.