Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,354 members, 7,836,448 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Delta (and Rivers) Igbos - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta (and Rivers) Igbos (58727 Views)

If Nigeria Divide Today, Does Delta And Edo State Has A Place With Yoruba/igbo / Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by pazienza(m): 12:54am On Mar 11, 2017
ChinenyeN:

This statement right here is excellent.

Yes! And we would have clannish folks unable to rise above clannish interests and delusional clannish pride to thank for Igbo unity.

Ana Emenu.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 1:05am On Mar 11, 2017
RedboneSmith:

It was not a side remark. It was a general observation on a trend. Nowadays I try to quote you people as few times as possible so as not to be sucked into long and tiring conversations with people who don't know what they are talking about. Thanks.

[One more evidence that you don't know what you are talking about as far as Ika matters are concerned.

Ogbemudia is a Bini name and means My family/foundation stands firm. It is not the same word as Ogbe nmu dein which means the royal quarter, or literally, the quarter of the descendants of dein (king). Please try and remain in familiar territory, i.e., Enugu-Ukwu history and stop jumping out of your depth. ]

Lol. I simply passed on here what someone told me about Ogbemudia. Further striking was the resemblance between the name and Ogbenmudien. Go back to my post, it was never supposed to to be a 'final authority'.

That is not something new given the propensity for many Igbo communities around the periphery to try to twist their words to sound 'un-Igbo'. Nyesom wike for example, looks non-Igbo to the average eye but it is simply the Ikwerre speech form for what would be Onyesom Nwike in standard Igbo.

Ogbe mu dia - my quarters/family exist/stand. I am not saying it is an Igbo name but the very meaning you rendered is exactly the same rendered in Igbo also. Co-incidence maybe.

And finally, dude stick to your familiar comfort-zone and circled around Igala and Illah history which you love to make noise about. We all know you all are strangers in this Delta Igbo region.

And oh well, please reply directly next time to me. I believe we are all adults. Leaving unnecessary side remarks when the person being addressed to is clear does not speak well of you.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by RedboneSmith(m): 1:09am On Mar 11, 2017
[s]
pazienza:

Bla bla bla. Move along. You don't denigrate the great Igbo nation just for fun, you can only do so when you are not Igbo or when you have amphoteric ethnicity.
[/s]

*yawns* Still smarting, yea? Me and my 'Igala' Deltans will be hanging out at Cable Point tomorrow evening. Coman drive us out.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 1:09am On Mar 11, 2017
pazienza:
But I guess identifying as Igbo isn't enough for
fanatical nationalists like Pazienza who want me to
also reject the Igala origins of my community, and
seek every opportunity to call me 'Igbophobe' and
'Igala settler'. If 'Igbo' unity never happens we only
have fanatical nationalists to blame for it

Now I'm intrigued.

This coming from man who believes Igbos culture is inferior to Yoloba culture and continuously chant "Igala" up and down everywhere here.

You need to go sort your complex issues out and stop crying all over the place.

No one is interested in your Igala origin, we have Ntezi people in Ebonyi who don't even speak Igbo as first language, but we won't allow you to hide under amphoteric ethnic nationality and spread your Igbophobic comments everywhere. You will of course be checkmated each time you attempt that and I expect to come back crying again.

Good one brother. I had to quote this again for the Igala poster.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 1:11am On Mar 11, 2017
RedboneSmith:

I am happy that that comment is still paining you. That was my intent. The OP, bigfrancis, was actually the person I was trying to upset, but since you're the one that seems to be catching all the feelings, you are also welcome.

Since you people think silly and disgraceful topics such as slave numbers are what matter to us today, I also decided to drop silly and disgraceful comments on that thread, let us all be disgracing ourselves. For God's sakes, who prides himself in the fact that his ancestors were slaves, and makes thread after thread revelling in that?

Anyway, you have to be sillier than I thought not to recognise I was trolling you and Francis on that thread.

@bold...I have seen way worse comments thrown at Igbos that the troll statement you left on that thread that I never gave two thoughts about. That statement of yours was very lame by the way.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by RedboneSmith(m): 1:13am On Mar 11, 2017
Dhugal:

You do realize Ogbemudia mean same thing in Igbo too,don't you?.
Ogbe mu di a/ya.

Not relevant. The point is it is not the same expression as Ogbe nmu dein. And the relation with Ogbe mu di ya (my district exists/is there) is a little stretched.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 1:15am On Mar 11, 2017
pazienza:

Yes! And we would have clannish folks unable to rise above clannish interests and delusional clannish pride to thank for Igbo unity.

Ana Emenu.

You actually have no idea what I am and am not willing to or capable of doing. You have no idea what I actually believe in nor how I actually carry myself nor the things I am involved in. It is simply dumb to attempt this sort of jab at me.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 1:15am On Mar 11, 2017
pazienza:

Ana Emenu.

Are you even responding to him? ChinenyeN is never known to speak up in any Igbo interest, except for issues that border on his ngwa sub tribe. People like him on NL want to be seen as 'neutral' and do not want to be seen as 'pro Igbo', as if that makes them better Igbo than others. Even when it is clear that his people are in the right and others in the wrong, he is too weak to speak up, often leaving childish women-like remarks on threads like this.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 1:20am On Mar 11, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Not relevant. The point is it is not the same expression as Ogbe nmu dein. And the relation with Ogbe mu di ya (my district exists/is there) is a little stretched.

@bold...that is overstretching by you the simple meaning of the statement in Igbo. O di ya...simply means it exists, and not 'is there'. You claim to speak Igbo, isn't 'is there' supposed to be 'di ebe ahu'? Does Ogbemudia look like Ogbemudiaebeahu to you or what?

And you'll be the first to jump in to correct something when you only have superficial understanding of ancient Igbo customs and culture. Foh
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Dhugal: 1:21am On Mar 11, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Stretched?

*sigh*

Dude,you do try some.I give you that,but most times...............

Okay,you are not worth all I was about to type so I'm walking away.

Try and get some sleep,maybe you'll wake with a clearer head than the befuddled one you work with right now.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 1:22am On Mar 11, 2017
bigfrancis21:

You are capable of doing nothing. You've been a member of this forum for nearly 7 to 8 years now and have never done anything to speak up for Igbos. What then are you capable of doing? You are too weak anyway to do anything. Such a thread like this is not for you.

You don't know anything about me outside of my posts on NL. It would be dumb of you to take yourself seriously in claiming what I can and cannot do or what I am and am not willing to do, when you can't claim to know me nor what I am involved in outside of NL.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by RedboneSmith(m): 1:27am On Mar 11, 2017
bigfrancis21:

@bold...that is overstretching by you the simple meaning of the statement in Igbo. O di ya...simply means it exists, and not 'is there'. You claim to speak Igbo, isn't 'is there' supposed to be 'di ebe ahu'? Does Ogbemudia look like Ogbemudiaebeahu to you or what?

And you'll be the first to jump in to correct something when you only have superficial understanding of ancient Igbo customs and culture. Foh

Really? 'Exists, Is there'. Is this nonsense nit-picking because you wish to have the last word?

Oya, I give you. Take.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Dhugal: 1:27am On Mar 11, 2017
ChinenyeN:

You don't know anything about me outside of my posts on NL. It would be dumb of you to take yourself seriously in claiming what I can and cannot do or what I am and am not willing to do, when you can't claim to know me nor what I am involved in outside of NL.
Oh,s'neck up ChinenyeN.
I do know you,and bigfrancis21 called it just right.
Just stick to issues concerning your Ngwa tribe,which you know little about,btw,outside the theoretical.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 1:27am On Mar 11, 2017
ChinenyeN:

Often times one's nairaland personality is not that much different from real life personality. I have read your type of personality long ago - laidback kind of individual, not too willing to influence things kind of person. ChinenyeN, you do not have to prove otherwise anyway because that is just who you are. Embrace it and continue to stick to it. I am not much different from whatever impression you have of me and real life. I am very direct and stand up and tell it to your face whatever it is you need to hear.

Maybe in your 20th year here you'll finally see beyond your ngwa identity and stand up for your brothers. Until that day no shaking, carry on.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 1:28am On Mar 11, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Really? 'Exists, Is there'. Is this nonsense nit-picking because you wish to have the last word?

Oya, I give you. Take.

@bold...isn't that what you have been doing all along? Nit-picking posts on here to make yourself feel relevant without contributing anything new to the discourse at hand?? undecided
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Dhugal: 1:29am On Mar 11, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Oya, I give you. Take.
Stands firm,Is unshaken,Exists...............
You started the nit picking, he just helped you out

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by RedboneSmith(m): 1:34am On Mar 11, 2017
Dhugal:

Stands firm,Is unshaken,Exists...............
You started the nit picking, he just helped you out

Dia = Stand firm.

Di ya = Is, exists.

That's why I said a little stretched. Emphasis on 'little'. It isn't an exact fit. Of course, you closed your eyes to the "little" because you love to go back and forth.

And the other guy jumped on 'Is there' which I actually only placed beside 'exist' for clarity because he too loves to go back and forth.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 1:47am On Mar 11, 2017
Dhugal:

Oh,s'neck up ChinenyeN.
I do know you,and bigfrancis21 called it just right.
Just stick to issues concerning your Ngwa tribe,which you know little about,btw,outside the theoretical.

You know me? As in, personally know me?
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 1:56am On Mar 11, 2017
Bigfrancis21, see beyond my Ngwa identity? My Ngwa identity has nothing to do with my capacity to work with others or reason with others. I don't believe a sense of Igbohood is at all necessary for things like that. That said, I am currently involved in long-term organizations, projects and exclusive partnerships with non-Ngwa Igbo. My work outside of NL isn't known to you. In short, that I do not self-identify as you do means nothing in my actual day to day life.

That said as well, I will stand up for what I believe warrants standing up for. So consider it from another angle. That I have yet to "stand up" effectively means that I have seen no reason to. You've effectively given me no reason to "stand up".

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Dhugal: 2:10am On Mar 11, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Dia = Stand firm.

Di ya = Is, exists.

That's why I said a little stretched. Emphasis on 'little'. It isn't an exact fit. Of course, you closed your eyes to the "little" because you love to go back and forth.

And the other guy jumped on 'Is there' which I actually only placed beside 'exist' for clarity because he too loves to go back and forth.
*sigh*

You're a gift that just keeps giving.
Dia/ Di ya............................................
It's bad ton taking candy from a child,even one asking for it as you keep doing,so I'll let it be.
Even Chinenye up there will tell you how you goofed splitting hair.
I'll advise you go to bed and sleep off whatever this is that has what's supposed to be a brilliant mind befuddled.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Dhugal: 2:13am On Mar 11, 2017
ChinenyeN:

You know me? As in, personally know me?
Beyond NL.
And you're much the same as the nairaland persona.
Personally knowing you isn't the point here though,but your history here,the positions you'd taken over the years.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 2:18am On Mar 11, 2017
The claim is that I neither can, nor am will nor am able to do certain things. To speak in support of that claim, but yet have no idea what I do in real life, or personally or what I am involved in, is essentially lying. So, yes, knowing me personally is part of the point. Or, better said, it is not a point you can simply ignore as you try to make your case, because then you would actually not be in a position to speak up for my ability or inability to do certain things, as has been claimed in this thread.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Dhugal: 2:24am On Mar 11, 2017
ChinenyeN:
The claim is that I neither can, nor am will nor am able to do certain things. To speak in support of that claim, but yet have no idea what I do in real life, or personally or what I am involved in, is essentially lying. So, yes, knowing me personally is part of the point. Or, better said, it is not a point you can simply ignore as you try to make your case, because then you would actually not be in a position to speak up for my ability or inability to do certain things, as has been claimed in this thread.
Dhugal:

Beyond NL.
And you're much the same as the nairaland persona.
Read.Comprehend.Assimilate

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 2:34am On Mar 11, 2017
If it were simply my persona, then all you (general you, not personal you) would have had to say is that I simply have no interest in taking sides. Yet, that was not the case. A claim was specifically made toward an ability and inability to do something. In doing so, the claim and claimant conveniently ignored many of my posts and much of my activities here on NL. So, again, if it were simply my persona, this discussion would not be necessary, because you are correct. My persona does not care for taking sides just for the sake of taking sides.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Dhugal: 2:46am On Mar 11, 2017
ChinenyeN:
If it were simply my persona, then all you (general you, not personal you) would have had to say is that I simply have no interest in taking sides.
"The man died in he who keeps silent in the face of tyranny" - Wole Soyinka.

If you understand that quote and whence it came from,then you would have known what his "claim"(right word is allegation) is about.
Not all this you twisting yourself in a pretzel.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 2:51am On Mar 11, 2017
You just made me smile, Dhugal. I appreciate that you used that quote from Soyinka. Because of that, I will keep silent. There are some parts of my persona even I don't care to share, and that quote from Soyinka is perfect.

I was clearly wrong to argue with you and Bigfrancis21 about the kind of person I am.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by laudate: 8:14am On Mar 11, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Oya, I give you. Take.

ROFLMAO! cheesy cheesy wink grin

RedboneSmith:
*yawns* Still smarting, yea? Me and my 'Igala' Deltans will be hanging out at Cable Point tomorrow evening. Coman drive us out.

Una no go take laugh kill person for here! cool

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ehikwe22: 9:14am On Mar 11, 2017
Ogbemudia has a Bini father and Igbanke mother. His name is Edo. The meaning of his name is from Edo. There being a similar translation of his name no matter how similar the two translation are is inconsequential. I've seen someone explain how Bini and Igbo languages are similar in some aspects. But why are you guys fund of dissecting any word you come across to make it Igbo? From Omojie to Dein to Mgba. These words don't have any relationship with the Igbo Meaning you give to them.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Eke40seven(m): 11:07am On Mar 11, 2017
ehikwe22:
Ogbemudia has a Bini father and Igbanke mother. His name is Edo. The meaning of his name is from Edo. There being a similar translation of his name no matter how similar the two translation are is inconsequential. I've seen someone explain how Bini and Igbo languages are similar in some aspects. But why are you guys fund of dissecting any word you come across to make it Igbo? From Omojie to Dein to Mgba. These words don't have any relationship with the Igbo Meaning you give to them.
Why then did you contradict yourself in your statements.
First, you agreed it's similar, then prior to that you posited that the translation is inconsequential even if they mean the same thing.
The logic behind your assertion is just way beyond me.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by ehikwe22: 1:04pm On Mar 11, 2017
Eke40seven:

Why then did you contradict yourself in your statements.
First, you agreed it's similar, then prior to that you posited that the translation is inconsequential even if they mean the same thing.
The logic behind your assertion is just way beyond me.
you think I contradict myself because just like most of your other brothers here, you lack comprehensive ability.

So if I'm Russian and my name is Aleksandr, and you are Spanish speaking and you see my name, will you tell me that I'm answering a Spanish name because there exist a Spanish variant of that same name? Even though there exists a similar meaning of a name in your language, respect the language the name was given in. Often times, the name needs to be stretched and overstretch to arrive at any meaning in your language, but doing that to someone's name is offensive. Especially when he's aware you know that his name is not in your language. This will only give him an impression you're desperate and pursuing an agenda

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nobody: 1:27pm On Mar 11, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Good one brother. I had to quote this again for the Igala poster.
You guys are taking it too far. Redbonsmith is one character that is transparent and consistent with his view here. We must respect opinions even if we don't agree. No need taking it personal

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (25) (Reply)

Martha Dunkwu, The Omu Of Anioma: As Queen, I Can Only Marry A Woman / Welcome To The Village Where They Drink The Same Water With Goats (PHOTO) / Princess Adeola, Daughter Of The Ooni Of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.