Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,459 members, 7,836,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Delta (and Rivers) Igbos - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta (and Rivers) Igbos (58740 Views)

If Nigeria Divide Today, Does Delta And Edo State Has A Place With Yoruba/igbo / Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Afam4eva(m): 10:24pm On Mar 12, 2017
RedboneSmith:

If 'Igbo' unity never happens we only have fanatical nationalists to blame for it.
This has always been onr of my greatest worries about the present crop of Igbo people particularly from the SE. We tend to be violently persuasive in the way we do things. If there are even Anioma people that want to accept the Igbo tag, they would think twice on encountring some comments by some Igbo folks on here and on the internet. They make it seem like Being Igbo or even being a supporter of Biafra is a form of slavery. I think we need to start learning from other ethnic groups on how to be diplomatic in our approach else an Ikwerre man will not hate you more than an Hausa does. I remember when some American and British brough up Igbo people like Ogugua and Adaobie etc made an effort to be part of the Igbo community on here, they were chased away because some idiots were angry that they couldn#t speak Igbo. I just wonder what is wrong with our people. I won't rule out the effect of the civil war on our psyche.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Chysler(m): 11:29pm On Mar 12, 2017
Afam4eva:

Very good question. I think Redbonesmith is one of those Delta Igbos, particularly people from the Aniocha/Oshimili axis who have lived a reasonable amount of the time in the South East and really see that there's not much difference between the SE and where they come from. But he also seems as an objective and politically correct person, who doesn't believe that his opinion should drown those of others. One trend i have noticed is that an Enuani person who has mixed a lot with SE Igbos tend to be more accepting of their Igboness than one who has never lived in the SE before.

Ya well said, I have one working under me, he is enuani, I I use to av one from Agbor as a marketer and one kwale driver... They all mixed with majority SE Pple and converse in central Igbo... They never for once deny being Igbo, infact when am addressing them in my office and dont want my etsako Edo P.A or other northners in our midst to follow up on the discussion I switch to Igbo and they code is just for their consumption!

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by gerg: 11:31pm On Mar 12, 2017
Afam4eva:

This has always been onr of my greatest worries about the present crop of Igbo people particularly from the SE. We tend to be violently persuasive in the way we do things. If there are even Anioma people that want to accept the Igbo tag, they would think twice on encountring some comments by some Igbo folks on here and on the internet. They make it seem like Being Igbo or even being a supporter of Biafra is a form of slavery. I think we need to start learning from other ethnic groups on how to be diplomatic in our approach else an Ikwerre man will not hate you more than an Hausa does. I remember when some American and British brough up Igbo people like Ogugua and Adaobie etc made an effort to be part of the Igbo community on here, they were chased away because some idiots were angry that they couldn#t speak Igbo. I just wonder what is wrong with our people. I won't rule out the effect of the civil war on our psyche.
I think the civil war is responsible for some of these behaviors. it's so sad. I personally can't identify with Igbos because of this crying and whining attitudes.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by OMANBALA1: 11:49pm On Mar 12, 2017
"Ebo meaning 'family' or 'tribe', still refers to the same thing. I gave the meaning based on how it is used in the east or even in Igbo bible. In one of the earliest Igbo bibles, 'tribe' was consistently translated as 'ebo', and you could also hear it in some Igbo Christian songs. That is, ebo refers to a close-knit related set of people, it could be a tribe, family etc. In Igbo there are just so many words that could be used for 'tribe'/'family' etc. such as ngwulu, ezinauno (the modern term for it now), etc. I would say that the usage of ebo is not restrictive and could have several meanings. "

@Bigfrancis, ngwulu can not be used to define tribe because they are two different things. Ngwulu basically means household like people who share same surname, while ezinunor means your immediate family like you, your wife and children. In Idenmili and surrounding communities Ebo is used to describe people who are related by blood, while agbọ is a smaller unit of ebo like lineage. These three words Ngwulu, Ebo and Ezinunor are not to be mistaken for another and can't be used interchangeably.
Onicha say "Ebo itenanị"
Umuoji say "Ebo ili na ise"
Umuleri say "Oke Ebo"
Abagana say "Ebo tete"
Abatete say "Ebo itenanị"
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by OMANBALA1: 11:53pm On Mar 12, 2017
gerg:
I think the civil war is responsible for some of these behaviors. it's so sad. I personally can't identify with Igbos because of this crying and whining attitudes.

You sound as if anybody is begging you to identify with us. Nigga, Bleep off, mental slave! Only a sick person will make such comment. God knows I am not one of those who spend my energy trying to educate a fool.

Nwa Onye Igbo till death!

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Favor99(m): 12:06am On Mar 13, 2017
Ngozi123:

Coming from the Benin Kingdom and having Benin- I'm assuming that you mean Edoid- ancestry are not the same thing. My ancestors once lived under the Benin Empire but they were Igbo. I believe that certain Ika communities have a some Edo ancestry but that is not the case for Onitsha/Ogbaru people.
Oh ok I didn't know. One other poster said something similar.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by gerg: 1:02am On Mar 13, 2017
OMANBALA1:

You sound as if anybody is begging you to identify with us. Nigga, Bleep off, mental slave! Only a sick person will make such comment. God knows I am not one of those who spend my energy trying to educate a fool.

Another Igbo man. I'm not surprised. this is what you're known for.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by OMANBALA1: 1:27am On Mar 13, 2017
gerg:
Another Igbo man. I'm not surprised. this is what you're known for.

At least ,I am not confused about my identity.

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by gbegemaster(m): 7:58am On Mar 13, 2017
Ishilove:

Black man, go back to reading tongue
Yes my beke love.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Ishilove: 8:09am On Mar 13, 2017
gbegemaster:
Yes my beke love.
Character

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 13, 2017
gerg:
Been Igbo is beyond the civil war drama. Its a consciousness.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by gerg: 2:00pm On Mar 13, 2017
blues2022:

Been Igbo is beyond the civil war drama. Its a consciousness.
whichever one it is, civil war didn't affect our psyche in Ika area neither do we have Igbo consciousness.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by gerg: 2:01pm On Mar 13, 2017
OMANBALA1:

At least ,I am not confused about my identity.
for you to think someone is confused shows you're confused. I'm an Ika man. and that's my ethnicity and my identity. Mad men sees everybody else as being mad .
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Chysler(m): 9:58pm On Mar 13, 2017
gerg:
for you to think someone is confused shows you're confused. I'm an Ika man. and that's my ethnicity and my identity. Mad men sees everybody else as being mad .

Be whatever you want to... There is an Igbo proverb that says , "The fowl at the grips of the Hawk is not crying for what captured it to release it but for the world to hear his voice".... Oburu okwu buru uka!

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by gerg: 10:51pm On Mar 13, 2017
Chysler:

Be whatever you want to... There is an Igbo proverb that says , "The fowl at the grips of the Hawk is not crying for what captured it to release it but for the world to hear his voice".... Oburu okwu buru uka!
You guys are very funny. You cry and whine about someting at the same time act like you don't care. very childish behavior.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by gerg: 11:05pm On Mar 13, 2017
cheruv:

Thanks for the pin up smiley
The problem WE EAST OF THE NIGER IGBO HAVE is that we tend to forget those on the West side,when its clear that our ancestors especially from that Anambra area were the ones that crossed the Niger some millennia back to settle there.
We must never forget them! That is a promise I've made to myself cool
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Chysler(m): 11:22pm On Mar 13, 2017
gerg:
You guys are very funny. You cry and whine about someting at the same time act like you don't care. very childish behavior.

You said "you guys".. Very ambiguous... Am definitely not among the ones who are here to make you change ur views... Just as the proverb I quoted meant, am Just here to set the records straight for posterity sake! So that when our children grows up tomorrow and started questioning our stance in challenging the disfiguring of history, the internet that never forgets will simply bear us witness that we screamed FAlSE!!...Remain whatever you wish to bro...one luv!

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by gerg: 11:33pm On Mar 13, 2017
Chysler:

You said "you guys".. Very ambiguous... Am definitely not among the ones who are here to make you change ur views... Just as the proverb I quoted meant, am Just here to set the records straight for posterity sake! So that when our children grows up tomorrow and started questioning our stance in challenging the disfiguring of history, the internet that never forgets will simply bear us witness that we screamed FAlSE!!...Remain whatever you wish to bro...one luv!
If there are any Igbo denying groups that try to distort their history , Ika is definitely not part of them. Ika history has always been the same from antiquity. The only distortions is coming from you guys. trying to rewrite our history. flooding the internet the theorems and postulations without any proof.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by pazienza(m): 12:22am On Mar 14, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Well put.

Why should anyone beg anyone to be Igbo?

Is Igbo now a franchise? Nonsense! To hell with them all.

Nobody is worth being pet to be Igbo,real Men are Igbo. From Okocha, Okocha, Achuzia, Utomi, to many Proud Igbo people here on NL like Ikechukwu.

Only dumb Igbos would go around begging worthless people to be Igbo. Denigrating the great Igbo tag on the process.
You are either Igbo or You aren't. There is no begging or petting involved. It's that simple.

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 12:33am On Mar 14, 2017
Chysler:

This is deep. I actually laughed when I read the proverb grin

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by OMANBALA1: 1:22am On Mar 14, 2017
gerg:
If there are any Igbo denying groups that try to distort their history , Ika is definitely not part of them. Ika history has always been the same from antiquity. The only distortions is coming from you guys. trying to rewrite our history. flooding the internet the theorems and postulations without any proof.

Bini migrants like you living in Ika land is the problem, but, you know what, a fruit doesn't fall too far from its tree. Most Ika are coming back to their senses. Today, 100% Ika families give their children Igbo names and speak the Enuani dialects which is the most spoken lect in Anioma, thereby, making the journey back to their roots, the Igbo root. Soon, those inconsequential few like you will be erased and forgotten. The Igbo nation will swallow you up and there isn't a danm thing you can do about it. Nature will manifest its full course. We never built kingdoms and oppressed our neighbors like you Bini people but you label us thieves but just like when our culture penetrated the whole southern Nigeria it will happen again... So, what are you gonna do, Nosakhare Oviedo? What you gonna do, ma Nigga!
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by gerg: 1:43am On Mar 14, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Bini migrants like you living in Ika land is the problem, but, you know what, a fruit doesn't fall too far from its tree. Most Ika are coming back to their senses. Today, 100% Ika families give their children Igbo names and speak the Enuani dialects which is the most spoken lect in Anioma, thereby, making the journey back to their roots, the Igbo root. Soon, those inconsequential few like you will be erased and forgotten. The Igbo nation will swallow you up and there isn't a danm thing you can do about it. Nature will manifest its full course. We never built kingdoms and oppressed our neighbors like you Bini people but you label us thieves but just like when our culture penetrated the whole southern Nigeria it will happen again... So, what are you gonna do, Nosakhare Oviedo? What you gonna do, ma Nigga!
sometimes I think you guys know the truth but just choose to propagate your falsehood. You want people to believe the lies you spread. well, only fools will believe your lies. Many Ika people here have told you there's no disparity between Ika and Bini in Ika. No Ika community is adopting Anioma as their language. There's no most spoken language in Anioma. every groups have their own language. What kind of people is this? You think doing this will make Anioma fall in love with you? FYI, many people that were initially pro Igbo Anioma people are becoming more pro Anioma

2 Likes

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Favor99(m): 2:39am On Mar 14, 2017
Not too many people know, but
Murtala Muhammad is Edo. He is from the Muslim part of Edo state near Auchi. He was just born in Hausa land and spoke Hausa and the Hausa people took him as their own. I was surprised when I found out Murtala Muhammad is Edo.
Sorry I know that was kinda random and out of place
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by bigfrancis21: 2:50am On Mar 14, 2017
Favor99:
Not too many people know, but
Murtala Muhammad is Edo. He is from the Muslim part of Edo state near Auchi. He was just born in Hausa land and spoke Hausa and the Hausa people took him as their own. I was surprised when I found out Murtala Muhammad is Edo.
Sorry I know that was kinda random and out of place

Yea just like we took Christy Essien Igbokwe (Akwa Ibomite born and bred in Aba), Sam Loco Efe (grew up in Enugu), etc and many others (especially non-igbo nollywood actors) like one of our own. The list is endless.

Sorry for this random post, I thought I'd share.
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Afonjas: 3:58am On Mar 14, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Yea just like we took Christy Essien Igbokwe (Akwa Ibomite born and bred in Aba), Sam Loco Efe (grew up in Enugu), etc and many others (especially non-igbo nollywood actors) like one of our own. The list is endless.

I don't get you, are you from Edo or calabar?
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Favor99(m): 4:20am On Mar 14, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Actually your post wasn't random. It was in response to what I said. So technically it wasn't random. My post was random
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Favor99(m): 4:22am On Mar 14, 2017
Afonjas:

The guy is Igbo, buddy.
Bigfrancis21 is Igbo
Come on man. You didn't know that?

1 Like

Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Favor99(m): 4:33am On Mar 14, 2017
Afonjas:

@Afonjas... you have a real interesting name.
Do you know the name is derogatory? Lol
What tribe are you from? And how do you end up with such a ridiculous name?
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Favor99(m): 4:37am On Mar 14, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Oh yea bigfrancis21, I've got some more
Random sh**. Who were you on the phone with in your profile pic? Just curious
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Favor99(m): 5:13am On Mar 14, 2017
grin
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by Favor99(m): 5:15am On Mar 14, 2017
bigfrancis21:

No need to be sorry. It's ok
Re: Delta (and Rivers) Igbos by cheruv: 6:48am On Mar 14, 2017
[quote author=gerg post=54563398][/quote]
Keep digging bro...you'd find gold grin

Like I said on that very thread, as long as Igbo issues are concerned I can speak either as a Westerner or Easterner bkos I've links both sides.
Now go back to your digging, you need to find more incriminating posts cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (25) (Reply)

Martha Dunkwu, The Omu Of Anioma: As Queen, I Can Only Marry A Woman / Welcome To The Village Where They Drink The Same Water With Goats (PHOTO) / Princess Adeola, Daughter Of The Ooni Of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.