Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (87) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (694575 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by kokoboy4life(m): 4:34am On Mar 12, 2017
Hello @wallspring GM,I will need your personal mobile number please try to get that to me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 5:05am On Mar 12, 2017
Walspring:

Can you explain better on this ?
Don't you understand English anymore?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Sweeny(f): 7:25am On Mar 12, 2017
brightify:
this is strange and my first time of hearing this,well if you have future employment,you can show them the future employement letter stating that they gonna employ you after your course of study....just ask your employer to write the letter
OK thanks a lot.
I've decided against the school, I don't want any wahala later on.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Sweeny(f): 7:27am On Mar 12, 2017
Chapecoense:

Iam seeing this requirement for the first time.. That kind of question is usually meant for VO's well you can tell them how the course u plan to study will benefit your home country and how you will be champing at the bit to return home to utilise ur knowledge to develope ur country. If ur course is a professional one, let them know there is current shortage of comptent professionals in ur field and ur country will be needing ur service more than the US upon completion of studies. If married, u can attach photos like walspring suggested.
Abeg remove from ur mind the idea of saying u intend to stay back and all that. Hope u dont plan to tell that to the VO?
Best wishes.
Ok, thanks a lot. I appreciate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by feguson123: 7:37am On Mar 12, 2017
Please gurus can you recommend any school that can accept e for master in mech engr wit GPA of 2.5
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ben4ever(m): 11:28am On Mar 12, 2017
Try McCombs in Texas
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ovieigho(m): 2:27pm On Mar 12, 2017
Pls am just curious about this ,mayb anybody can explain and suggest to me how it can be achievable

I wrote my school about funding and this is the responds I got :

Hello,

Congratulations on receiving a recommendation for admission! That is wonderful news.

In 2-3 weeks, you will receive all funding information from the ***...................*** within your official admission letter.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best,

N.B the school fees is on the high ,though there is opportunity of work study or part time jobs
I might opt for the part time jobs

My curiosity and question is can I have a hitch free study in a school of 45k$ with their mayb little funding and part time jobs

Because I no get any sponsor or own any money in bank o.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by KPhantom(m): 3:00pm On Mar 12, 2017
DeeTus:
You probably don't know the true story of something and cannot really say. Some guys are criminally minded.
Please check your mail.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 4:00pm On Mar 12, 2017
KPhantom:
Please check your mail.
Received and replied.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 4:56pm On Mar 12, 2017
ovieigho:
Pls am just curious about this ,mayb anybody can explain and suggest to me how it can be achievable

My curiosity and question is can I have a hitch free study in a school of 45k$ with their mayb little funding and part time jobs

Because I no get any sponsor or own any money in bank o.....

Hi!

You should wait till you get the funding information as said. Only then can you realistically estimate if it's worth a shot to accept and enroll. Basically, determine the total fees (tuition and other expenses) you'll need to pay for the first year on one hand, and know how much the school will be offsetting. You'll then be able to know how possible it is to get the difference from working part time and all.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OGreene: 5:04pm On Mar 12, 2017
Okay bruv.

Walspring:

You never thought like I did when the guy told me and for me verify he paid I asked him to request for his bank statement before I could advise him.

As for me it's what you tell me I will advise you on, if you lie to me I will advise you on the lies and if it's truth I will advise on you on the truth.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OGreene: 5:16pm On Mar 12, 2017
Talk about other expenses... Please whats the diff in cost of living in D.C. compared to New York? Are they close in comparison? Am leaning towards Johns Hopkins than Columbia.

Anyone schooling in any of the 2 schools or recently graduated? Would love to have a chat. Thanks.

Cc:LagosismyHome, imperiouxx, Oludare01, texrem etc

happyday:

Hi!

You should wait till you get the funding information as said. Only then can you realistically estimate if it's worth a shot to accept and enroll. Basically, determine the total fees (tuition and other expenses) you'll need to pay for the first year on one hand, and know how much the school will be offsetting. You'll then be able to know how possible it is to get the difference from working part time and all.

Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by asaphkocube(m): 5:26pm On Mar 12, 2017
Walspring:

Trust me those who are the master mind of this wonderful promo offer are reading your post..

I urge others to do the same way you did..

In all let's give thanks to God

Please I want to know the acceptable ID to enter for GRE examination at JKK center Lagos.
Is Temporary National ID card acceptable?
Is parmanent Voters Card acceptable?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ponpon(m): 5:31pm On Mar 12, 2017
asaphkocube:

Please I want to know the acceptable ID to enter for GRE examination at JKK center Lagos.
Is Temporary National ID card acceptable?
Is parmanent Voters Card acceptable?
international passport

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by asaphkocube(m): 5:43pm On Mar 12, 2017
ponpon:
international passport

No other forms of ID is acceptable?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ponpon(m): 5:54pm On Mar 12, 2017
asaphkocube:

No other forms of ID is acceptable?
None sir. It's everywhere in ets site

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 6:01pm On Mar 12, 2017
OGreene:
Talk about other expenses... Please whats the diff in cost of living in D.C. compared to New York? Are they close in comparison? Am leaning towards John Hopkins than Columbia.

Anyone schooling in any of the 2 schools or recently graduated? Would love to have a chat. Thanks.

I've only been to NY but I'm sure the cost of living in both cities would be almost the same
Gunther6 is at JHU Baltimore but he often goes to DC
You may send him a pm

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by omoluabiguy: 6:21pm On Mar 12, 2017
feguson123:
Please gurus can you recommend any school that can accept e for master in mech engr wit GPA of 2.5

2.5/5 or 2.5/4??

If it is 2.5 on a 4 scale, I won't say it's impossible but you'll have to do alot of HARDWORK such as Acing GRE, strong LOR and strong SOP maybe with some working experience if you have any. YES It's possible

If it is 2.5 on a 5.0, I'll leave that for the gurus to help you out.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by saninwa: 6:24pm On Mar 12, 2017
Please anyone in Morgan State University, Baltimore, should let me know, or if you know anyone there please. I need some info
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OGreene: 6:47pm On Mar 12, 2017
Will do that. Thanks

OluDare01:

I've only been to NY but I'm sure the cost of living in both cities would be almost the same
Gunther6 is at JHU Baltimore but he often goes to DC
You may send him a pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 6:50pm On Mar 12, 2017
But you get mouth o
your profile go make sense die
UMN,JHU and Cornell
na only you waka come?
OGreene:
Will do that. Thanks

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by imperiouxx(m): 6:53pm On Mar 12, 2017
borie4u:
Today get as he be. Out of the three schools I applied to two don send regret mail. I tire MTU and uni of Arizona. Huh so depressing

Be happy friend.

Let me tell you a story. When I was applying to PA school, I applied to about 12 or 13. Finance and time prevented me from applying to all my targeted 15 programs. One by one they started sending me application rejection letter. I didn't even make it to the interview stage, even with my As, prior masters with good cgpa and research publications. It was discouraging that I received such massive rejections after what I have invested into the PA school hunt. I invested: money for applications (about $2700), for the 2 semesters of prereqs at hunter college (about $8000) and for reducing my hours at work to accommodate the prereqs; time on prereqs (2 semesters), community service (1+ yr and still counting), acquiring healthcare experience (1.5 yrs), shadowing doctors (3 months) and given up on taking biochem route; and emotional stress. GboyegaD called me around that time and had to encourage me because I was depressed. My worry was that programs discriminate and are selective about nationality, where undergrad was obtained and age of prereqs... This is actually correct.

The day I received my first interview invitation, I had a great conviction that at least my application qualifies for admission somewhere. At the interview, there were only 3 black guys among 36 applicants in group A that day. The remaining were all whites. The program interviewed 36 applicants x 2 groups per day x 3 days for just 40 seats in the program. After the interview I was discouraged again, I know I did my best at the oral part of the interview but I was haunted by my thoughts whenever I remember that I didn't finish my writing part because I was trying to stand out (to be perfect) and forgot to look at the back of the questionnaire for more questions.

One month after this interview, I received an invitation from a second school in KY and was scheduled for Jan 10, 2017. I was gearing up for the interview when I received an admission letter from the first school on Dec 25. I feel elated and butterflies filled my stomach to the extent that I couldn't take it and started feeling nauseous and couldn't eat that night. 5 days later, I told KY to give my slot out to another applicant. A week later, I received the third interview invitation from another program and guess what, I forgot to decline the invitation.

Long story short, whenever I look back at all this, my mind goes back to my 2 years old nairaland signature that says 'All my life, I had always finished the race'. No one says there won't be rejection(s) but this would be until you find that one program looking for you.

Winners don't quit. Cheers!

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:54pm On Mar 12, 2017
OGreene:
Talk about other expenses... Please whats the diff in cost of living in D.C. compared to New York? Are they close in comparison? Am leaning towards John Hopkins than Columbia.

They are both expensive for this exchange rates....my sister is in dc sharing a house with 3 other students and the rent is 950 per month (to give u an idea)... that with no bills at all so for me DC or NY wont be a first preference .. except in the time when dollar was less than 200

Although John Hopkins is not in DC....it is in baltimore MD.....the rent in Baltimore will be cheaper than DC... Also John Hopkins usually are very stingy with money. I have quite a no of friends who went there but everyone i know paid or got student loans so its my impression that the school very stingy with funding

As for distance . Not too far as both cities are in the east coast. You can make it in 3 hours between both cities .

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Chapecoense(m): 7:03pm On Mar 12, 2017
Mayflowa how you doing.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 7:07pm On Mar 12, 2017
LagosismyHome:

They are both expensive for this exchange rates....my sister is in dc sharing a house with 3 other students and the rent is 950 per month (to give u an idea)... that with no bills at all so for me DC or NY wont be a first preference .. except in the time when dollar was less than 200

Although John Hopkins is not in DC....it is in baltimore MD.....the rent in Baltimore will be cheaper than DC... Also John Hopkins usually are very stingy with money. I have quite a no of friends who went there but everyone i know paid or got student loans so its my impression that the school very stingy with funding

As for distance . Not too far as both cities are in the east coast. You can make it in 3 hours between both cities .
There's a JHU campus in DC

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LUCAS99: 7:08pm On Mar 12, 2017
imperiouxx:

Be happy friend.

Let me tell you a story. When I was applying to PA school, I applied to about 12 or 13. Finance and time prevented me from applying to all my targeted 15 programs. One by one they started sending me application rejection letter. I didnt even make it to the interview stage. It was discouraging that I received such massive rejections after what I have invested into the PA school hunt. I invested money for applications (about $2700), for the 2 semesters of prereqs at hunter college (about $8000) and for reducing my hours at work to accommodate the prereqs; time on prereqs (2 semesters), community services (1+ yr and still counting), acquiring healthcare experience (1.5 yrs), shadowing doctors (3 months) and given up on taking biochem route; emotional stress. GboyegaD called me around that time and had to encourage me because I was depressed. My worry was that programs are discriminating and selective about nationality, where undergrad was obtained and age of prereqs... This is actually correct.

The day I received my first interview invitation, I had a great conviction that at least my application qualifies for admission somewhere. At the interview there was only 3 black guys among 36 applicants in group A that day. The remaining were all whites. The program interviewed 36 applicants x 2 groups per day x 3 days for just 40 seats in the program. After the interview I was discouraged again, I know I did my best at the oral part of the interview but I was haunted by my thoughts whenever I remember that I didn't finish my writing part because I was trying to stand out (to be perfect) and forgot to look at the back of the questionnaire for more questions.

One month after this interview, I received an invitation from a second school in KY which was scheduled for Jan 10, 2017. I was gearing up for the interview when I received an admission letter from the first school on Dec 25. I feel elated and butterflies filled my stomach to the extent that I couldn't take it and started feeling nauseous and couldn't eat that night. 5 days later I told KY to give my slot out to another applicant. A week later I received the third interview invitation from another program and guess what, I forgot to decline the invitation.

Long story short, when I look back at all this, my mind goes back to my 2 years old nairaland signature that says 'All my life, I had always finished the race'. No one says there won't be rejection(s) but this is not until you find the one looking for you.

Winners don't quit.

Hi imperiouxx hope you are doing fine. Did you get my messages? I lost my phone and I have been trying to get in contact with you ever since. Please try and get back to me whenever you can
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by 234ng44uk(m): 7:13pm On Mar 12, 2017
OGreene:

From all indications, Washington DC appears to be cheaper than New York city. See [url]https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&city1=Washington%2C+DC&country2=United+States&city2=New+York%2C+NY[/url]

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by biikeys(m): 8:33pm On Mar 12, 2017
234ng44uk:

From all indications, Washington DC appears to be cheaper than New York city. See [url]https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&city1=Washington%2C+DC&country2=United+States&city2=New+York%2C+NY[/url]

Forget all those things they're talking about. It depends on you, but generally both are expensive except you want to stay in a high crime area. Most people that work or school in DC actually live in Maryland since it's less expensive..Downside is you spend more time in traffic if you drive, or have to plan ahead for Metro if you don't. Some people also stay on the NJ side of NY to save some money..and get on trains every morning.
As a student, I would say you should try to share with someone..at least for a start. Later on, you can get your space/apartment.
Talked about rent since that's your biggest factor in determining cost of living.

OGreene

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by borie4u(m): 8:34pm On Mar 12, 2017
imperiouxx:

Be happy friend.

Let me tell you a story. When I was applying to PA school, I applied to about 12 or 13. Finance and time prevented me from applying to all my targeted 15 programs. One by one they started sending me application rejection letter. I didnt even make it to the interview stage, even with my As, prior masters with good cgpa and research publications. It was discouraging that I received such massive rejections after what I have invested into the PA school hunt. I invested money for applications (about $2700), for the 2 semesters of prereqs at hunter college (about $8000) and for reducing my hours at work to accommodate the prereqs; time on prereqs (2 semesters), community service (1+ yr and still counting), acquiring healthcare experience (1.5 yrs), shadowing doctors (3 months) and given up on taking biochem route; emotional stress. GboyegaD called me around that time and had to encourage me because I was depressed. My worry was that programs are discriminating and selective about nationality, where undergrad was obtained and age of prereqs... This is actually correct.

The day I received my first interview invitation, I had a great conviction that at least my application qualifies for admission somewhere. At the interview there was only 3 black guys among 36 applicants in group A that day. The remaining were all whites. The program interviewed 36 applicants x 2 groups per day x 3 days for just 40 seats in the program. After the interview I was discouraged again, I know I did my best at the oral part of the interview but I was haunted by my thoughts whenever I remember that I didn't finish my writing part because I was trying to stand out (to be perfect) and forgot to look at the back of the questionnaire for more questions.

One month after this interview, I received an invitation from a second school in KY which was scheduled for Jan 10, 2017. I was gearing up for the interview when I received an admission letter from the first school on Dec 25. I feel elated and butterflies filled my stomach to the extent that I couldn't take it and started feeling nauseous and couldn't eat that night. 5 days later, I told KY to give my slot out to another applicant. A week later I received the third interview invitation from another program and guess what, I forgot to decline the invitation.

Long story short, when I look back at all this, my mind goes back to my 2 years old nairaland signature that says 'All my life, I had always finished the race'. No one says there won't be rejection(s) but this would be until you find the one program looking for you.

Winners don't quit. Cheers!

Thanks imperiouxx baba. I already told GboyegaD about the rejects. Had 301 GRE , 92 TOEFL, MSc 4.04/5 n bsc of 3.39/5.00. Thinking maybe cause my GRE result is not too good. Hoping to sit for another but I spent money ooo.Arizona app took like $100 with TOEFL n GRE scores order of 47$. Same with MTU except that no app fee but spent same $47 to order to them. What about my two transcript to those two schools? If I use that money go do my fiancee introduction I for happy. Right now if there is any promo on GRE make una pls book me down. This one that buharis back

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:55pm On Mar 12, 2017
OluDare01:

There's a JHU campus in DC

O really.... didnt know that

OGreene if u drive you can check housing in Maryland (some parts are closed to Dc) and rent is cheaper and then use bus train or car and commute ..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 8:59pm On Mar 12, 2017
I never knew too until Gunther6 told me
OGreene,JHU is stingy with funding like madam rightly said
I'm sure you will change your mind when you follow Gunther talk
LagosismyHome:

O really.... didnt know that

OGreene if u drive you can check housing in Maryland (some parts are closed to Dc) and rent is cheaper and then use bus train or car and commute ..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OGreene: 9:32pm On Mar 12, 2017
Average profile. Now I believe when the schools say they make admission decisions based on holistic assessment of one's overall application. I applied with 3.7/5 and 307

Columbia not Cornell

OluDare01:
But you get mouth o
your profile go make sense die
UMN,JHU and Cornell
na only you waka come?

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.