Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,900 members, 7,863,092 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:24 AM

Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? - Romance (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? (48310 Views)

Why Do Girls Marry Rich Guys Only To Regret In Future? / Why Do Ugly Girls Marry Every Saturday? And The Pretty Ones Do Ashebi? / Are Igbo Girls The Most Beautiful Girls In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by THEAMAKA3(f): 3:10pm On Dec 01, 2009
lmao!! like i said before
there are no facts to prove that igbo girls marry late (who even knows what late is)
its not like some hausas that marry early, cause everyone knows that, there are facts, but this here is just a generalized statement.
everyone keeps complaining dowry, money, lol
igbo bride price isnt even that high, depending on where you are from.
even middle class people can afford bride price, its only those really high class igbos that have super expensive bride price i guess.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 3:19pm On Dec 01, 2009
My white friend onced asked me rhetorically why most ppl that their name starts with Ade, Olu, abi, sola, stink, talk loud on the fone and are often jealous. I replied that am not sure why but i think it has to do with culture. Babalawos are known for their extremely loud incantations, perhaps ,
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by beingme(f): 3:21pm On Dec 01, 2009
THIS IS BULLSHIT[/size][size=8pt]
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by bisiaet: 3:23pm On Dec 01, 2009
I think it depends on her and her family. And I think this is just a kind of broad question their is no need to attack or use abusive words to the guy who posted this question on Nairaland cus I dont see any sentiment in the question I see it as one of those.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by timpaker(m): 3:27pm On Dec 01, 2009
grin
THE-AMAKA:

lmao!! like i said before
there are no facts to prove that igbo girls marry late (who even knows what late is)
its not like some hausas that marry early, cause everyone knows that, there are facts, but this here is just a generalized statement.
everyone keeps complaining dowry, money, lol
igbo bride price isnt even that high, depending on where you are from.
even middle class people can afford bride price, its only those really high class igbos that have super expensive bride price i guess.
 grin

If i may ask, why are you so interested in disproving this fact? I guess you are among those OVER-MATURE for marriage but still SINGLE
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 3:29pm On Dec 01, 2009
bisiaet:

I think it depends on her and her family. And I think this is just a kind of broad question their is no need to attack or use abusive words to the guy who posted this question on Nairaland cus I dont see any sentiment in the question I see it as one of those.
Then to balance the equation, why not ask a similar question about habitually promiscous yoruba men, or dirty slutty yoruba hawkers, wat about ask why yorubas sleep with their daughters in law (Obj-Mojisola), hope u remember that.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by THEAMAKA3(f): 3:30pm On Dec 01, 2009
timpaker:

grin grin

If i may ask, why are you so interested in disproving this fact? I guess you are among those OVER-MATURE for marriage but still SINGLE
and i guess youre still stupid.
tell me, where are the facts? where is the evidence?
prove it. until then, shut up. cool
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 3:38pm On Dec 01, 2009
timpaker:

grin grin

This bigot needs to shut up and swallow a humble pie, Wats ur biz about Igbo culture? have u ever stepped foot on igboland or do u establish ur opinion about igbos based on wat u see in nollywood? some naive ppl like u might as well judge america based on hollywood.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Busta(f): 3:48pm On Dec 01, 2009
lol . . . do they really?
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by sillyme2: 3:52pm On Dec 01, 2009

@Post,
WTF is wrong with marrying late?
cos in the long run, they marry right?
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by archangel1(m): 3:57pm On Dec 01, 2009
because they are more succulent @30 and above kiss tongue cool cheesy
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by ud4u: 4:04pm On Dec 01, 2009
I guess you are one of those that want to marry on high purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Senata: 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2009
Igbo girls, marrying late has to do with the financial situation of the country, the person she wants to marry and most especially how his wealth or riches will last. For me, igbo girls are the most nicest and economical sets of beings. The conditions set for marrying in Igbo land is so demanding and requires alot of financial obligation from the man's side. Also, most Ibo men prefer to make money first while having a wife comes second. But,  the most expensive marriages can be found with the Fulani's and Kanuri's, Leave ibo girls alone, they have started a trend and most nija girls r beginin to follow suit,,,,,,,,,,
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by kaiki: 4:07pm On Dec 01, 2009
marriage is not a do-or-die affairs and its not what you can enter any how, so you must take your time to think of it very well if you want to go in, my brother that institution is by the grace of God to bear all the intrickish in it, go well girls. cool cool
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by speaker7: 4:08pm On Dec 01, 2009
SHAKIRA'S BOYFRIEND IS MAD, CHECK THIS OUT.

http://texterz.com/index.php?topic=197.msg133;boardseen#new
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by smile4kenn(m): 4:21pm On Dec 01, 2009
I am becoming more ashamed of nairaland every time I see this topic on the home page.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Kceelyn(f): 4:32pm On Dec 01, 2009
@axeman85

Nop,am not Oluchi, Me name's Kcee.

Regarding d dowry thing,my folks aren't asking much from my aunty's fiance,cos like I said,we re not selling off our daughter. Asides that,we (my family,esp. my grandpa n dad) re trying to correct the wrong impression pple hv abt Igbos n high dowry,esp. to other tribes wanting to marry thier daughters. I cant caterigorically give u a ball part figure as per how much they re asking for,but my aunt said d fiance didnt wince in agony over d list/dowry stuff. He simply smiled n said he wld be seeing dem sooner than they expect!Finito!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guez dat settles it?

So to all ya folks out der,don't be afraid,Igbos girls don't bite instead they give good loving n make beautiful wives n mother,I knw I can get a testimony in here, Am I rite or am I rite? cool cool cool grin
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by morpheus24: 4:33pm On Dec 01, 2009
Igbo women marry late because their counter part Igbo men marry late too.

Yoruba women marry early because their counter part marry early too

Delta/Edo people are in between they marry any how. Young to old.old to young no yawa!

Hausa/Fulani marry early make them no die of the flogging wey them dey give them for back before them marry

Gbam. issue don resolve!!
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by obiksam(m): 4:34pm On Dec 01, 2009
For me the age way Igbo girls dey marry na pure, waten i say, I say na pure correct matured age to be married b'dat, from 23 to 30 even to 32 i no see any tin way late inside'am. the girl no go try go out side her husband bcus say she don see all sizes so she go protect her husband from other girls way marry at early age.

@Raymond247

Ray guy i hell u'ooh, u too much'ooh
com'now make i gave you my sister free, una go talk say una wan marry 4rom Igbo no be say una go dey talk indirectly, which place way u don go 4 igbo land way dere dowry rich even to build that una uncompleted bulding way una dey live, make una talk waten una no'ooh if not don't be surpress say na 4 igbo land way una go marry and by dat time una go hear'am
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by theviper1: 4:52pm On Dec 01, 2009
one of the most disturbing and funny thing about NL these days is that many pple have become experts on ndigbo without knowing one thing about the igbos or even having 1 igbo friend. there is a race going on to see who will talk down,bash and insult the igbos more here. bt when pple write,u can easily see through their empty brains. i have seen a lot of foolish posts here and a lot of sensible ones from non-igbos as well.
i will always begin with @axeman85 for his open views and candid opinion based on his experiences. that is a man (and some 1 or 2 others who are either married or engaged to igbos) who are worth listening to cos they know what they are saying. so i will advise my brothers and sisters from the south east to ignore pple who wants to become NL superstars on the wings of insulting the igbos or spreading false infos.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by jona2: 4:59pm On Dec 01, 2009
the viper:

one of the most disturbing and funny thing about NL these days is that many pple [s]have become experts on ndigbo without knowing one thing about the igbos or even having 1 igbo friend. there is a race going on to see who will talk down,bash and insult the igbos more here. bt when pple write,u can easily see through their empty brains. i have seen a lot of foolish posts here and a lot of sensible ones from non-igbos as well.
i will always begin with @axeman85 for his open views and candid opinion based on his experiences. that is a man (and some 1 or 2 others who are either married or engaged to igbos) who are worth listening to cos they know what they are saying. so i will advise my brothers and sisters from the south east to ignore pple who wants to become NL superstars on the wings of insulting the igbos or spreading false infos.
[/s]

yodolinnnnnnnnnnnn.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by theviper1: 5:09pm On Dec 01, 2009
i want us to break this late marriage and the real marriage thing down to the laymans level.in some tribes, a woman can see an eleran or a guy can see an elewa,then the 2 of you fools around for some days. she becomes pregnant and then moves into ur pad and viola!. you are married. then 2morrow u have a problem,you throw her out and both of you have become singles again. is that part of the early marriage? there was nothing legal or traditional. the guys parents doesnt know the girl and the girls parents doesnt know the boy neither do they know where they reside.
in our part of the world,such relationship are frowned upon. we dont practise live-in-lover cos that is what most of these tribes basically do. that is not marriage. so whether you are 5 yrs or 50 and is engaged in that,you are not married, period. those pple who are talking about high bride price in igbo land,i want you to pls explain to us how it is done in ur area. maybe you just ask the guy to take your daughter home and start screwing. dont forget that nothing without labour is given to man.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by chiegemba(f): 5:11pm On Dec 01, 2009
Funny Topic, Funnier Replies. Guess Nland is still about d same 4rm about a yr ago wen i logged in last, smiley
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by chidichris(m): 5:13pm On Dec 01, 2009
because they know marriage is for life. they know that they are marrying for ever unlike their counterparts who marry as many times as possible.
because they have to marry only once, they always take their time before they get involved.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by theviper1: 5:17pm On Dec 01, 2009
@jona,is that the best that u can come up with,cancelling my post? poor u.why dont you stick to what you know how best to do,which is terrorism?
do you think that am a white man to be held hostage or do u think that i have a property in ur place that will be considered abandoned? take a DOUBLE DOSE OF CHILL PILL WITH UR SAPELE WATER MEN.we are talking about late or early marriage in igbo land while we are talking about NO MARRIAGE AT ALL  from ur place. lipsrsealed
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by jona2: 5:22pm On Dec 01, 2009
it was a common practice for an igbo woman to marry her late husband's brother if she had children so the children can retain the family identity and inheritance, so igbo women date

[b]Tradition of same gender marriage in Igboland

By Leo Igwe

One of the contentious issues in the debate over homosexuality and same sex marriage is whether a marriage between persons of the same gender is totally alien to African culture and tradition. Those opposing same sex marriage have continued to argue that same gender union is foreign to Africa. On the contrary, I have tried to draw their attention to the fact that there is a strain of the same gender marriage in African tradition particularly in Igboland.

And that we should not rush to deny this, or pretend it does not exist or just sweep it under the carpet in the quest to establish that same gender marriage is alien to the African continent, and must be banned.

I hail from Mbaise in Imo State in Southern Nigeria. Traditionally, in my community, marriage is taken to be a union between a man and a woman as the case may be. But there are circumstances where a marriage between a woman and a woman is permissible.[/b]In a situation where a woman has no son or no child, if the husband dies, it is culturally allowed for her to marry a wife. And in this case, she becomes the husband. Like in every case of marriage, this woman goes out, inquires and gets a wife of her choice. She pays her dowry and fulfills other traditional rites as it is done when a man is marrying a woman.

After that, the woman brings her “wife” home and they start living together as “husband” and “wife”. Nobody frowns at it. To have children -both the “woman- husband” and “woman- wife”- will agree to allow a man from the same village or neighbouring town to sleep with the wife.

And the children born by the wife bears the family name of the woman- husband, not that of the man responsible for the pregnancy. I want to add here that the man who sleeps with such wife in most cases are married men. And normally it is regarded as immoral, in fact it is a taboo for a married man to sleep with or “father” children from another woman. But in this case an act normally taken to be immoral is allowed.

This is a situation where people are permitted to break taboos and deviate from traditions. This marriage practice pre- dates Christianity and the so- called western culture which most people today blame for all the moral and cultural wrongs in Africa. The same gender marriage is still practised till date. In other words, there are some families today in Igboland where women are both husbands and wives, fathers and mothers.

There are some homes where woman- husbands are living happily with their woman- wives. Though there are not many of such families or marriages. Such unconventional marriages and families are in the minority. The fact is that they exist. The fact is that they are part of the local tradition and culture. They are not imports from the West. And this has in no way undermined social cohesion, public order and morality or family values.

Some people have tried to argue that this is not really a case of gender marriage because a man comes in to impregnate the wife. But, traditionally, it is the case and it is known as such. It is a case where a woman marries a woman.

The man who impregnates the wife does not come into the picture at all. He has no family responsibility. His duty is only to supply sperm. The family is responsible for the woman- husband and wife.Some say that same gender unions destroy family values and undermine the upbringing of children.

It should be emphasised that children in this case are brought up in an environment where both “parents” are females. And they grow up to be normal children. Some say because child bearing is involved, then it is not same gender marriage. But my response is this: whether for procreation or for pleasure, it is same gender marriage. And it is the couples, not the state that decides whether to marry for procreation and or for pleasure or for any other purpose they deem fit.

Unfortunately, most Nigerians think that same gender marriage is antithetical to procreation. It is not. In fact same gender unions as in this case enrich family values. There have been instances where a partner in a same gender relationship wants children, and goes ahead to have them.

Because of the secrecy, privacy and hypocrisy that go with sexual expression, no one can really say, if these female partners have or do not have sex with each other. But like all couples they live together and run their families. But today, things are changing.

Individuals are becoming more open, more assertive and expressive with their sexual and marriage choices, desires, orientations and identities. The sexual and marriage dynamics are changing rapidly. And Africans must make the necessary social, cultural and legal adjustments in response to- and to accommodate- these changes.

Igwe is the executive secretary of the Nigerian Humanist Movement.

News
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by jona2: 5:24pm On Dec 01, 2009
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by jona2: 5:30pm On Dec 01, 2009
quote from an igbo girl. grin

http://www.naijarules.com/vb/news-current-affairs-politics/33722-tradition-same-gender-marriage-igboland.html

Such exists in my maternal village and I have seen it in my extended family!!

The woman-wives gave birth to 4 children, all for different men!! And I am like, dam!!! isnt this a 'legal' way of promoting promiscuity?!! : cos she has license to bang around, all in the quest to have children for her Woman-husband!

Sure, there is hardly any form of sexual relationship between the woman- husband/wife, but, who is to say? Lesbianism definitely did not start in this generation! Must have been there pre-Christian era, but, folks just knew to hide it or something like that! Afterall, in bible times, Sodom and gomorrah showed evidence of homosexuality!

my rusty 2-pence!
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by 0hsisi: 5:37pm On Dec 01, 2009
It's obvious the tribe in Nigeria that occupy the discussion of the others
Eat your hearts out haters
any foreigner on this forum asked to name a tribe in Nigeria obviously knows of just one.
They pretend to hate us but are jealous of us and can't get us off their lips
Igbo kwezuonu! cool cool cool
anyi di nma
Igbo ndi oma ndi Chukwu goziri a gozi
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by jona2: 5:41pm On Dec 01, 2009
0hsisi:

It's obvious the Muslims in Nigeria that occupy the discussion of the others
Eat your hearts out haters of Muslims.
any foreigner on this forum asked to name a tribe with  the most criminals records in Nigeria obviously knows of just one.
They pretend to hate us but [b]are jealous of us and can't get us off their lips
Igbo kwezuonu! cool cool cool[/b]anyi di nma
Igbo ndi oma ndi Chukwu goziri a gozi

yeah. cheesy
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by jydon17(m): 5:48pm On Dec 01, 2009
well its all about the bride price, its a bit on the high side for young  male lovers and she might av to wait a little while if she truly loves the guy,to work and  save enough,sometimes, some abscon, leaving the gal to age , to be classified as over ripe for marriage
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by mrperfect(m): 5:54pm On Dec 01, 2009
jydon17:

well its all about the bride price, its a bit on the high side for young  male lovers and she might av to wait a little while if she truly loves the guy,to work and  save enough,sometimes, some abscon, leaving the gal to age , to be classified as over ripe for marriage

Say what you know not what you hear. smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

Court Order Lady To Pay Man N150k For Not Coming After Taking N3k For Transport / Babe Couldn't Walk In Heels! See Why This Guy Walks Home Barefooted After Church / Man Surprises His Two Wives With Their First Cars(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.