Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,908 members, 7,863,121 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:54 AM

Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? - Romance (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? (48311 Views)

Why Do Girls Marry Rich Guys Only To Regret In Future? / Why Do Ugly Girls Marry Every Saturday? And The Pretty Ones Do Ashebi? / Are Igbo Girls The Most Beautiful Girls In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by londoner: 6:00pm On Dec 01, 2009
If you cant afford a list of things to buy, what makes you think you are ready to have a wife, help pay for a house, children, bills, etc. Maybe some men are simpy trying to run before they can walk.

I know Yoruba families who may not have asked for a "bride price" but instead are a constant burden to the couple financially. Oh yes, they also married "late".
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 6:03pm On Dec 01, 2009
jydon17:

well its all about the bride price, its a bit on the high side for young  male lovers and she might av to wait a little while if she truly loves the guy,to work and  save enough,sometimes, some abscon, leaving the gal to age , to be classified as over ripe for marriage

U see, this guy just gets his news from the nollywood. He might as well get his views about the US from the hollywood. Ur argument is not worth a response, but for the record purpose, educated men don't generalize neither do dey strike assumptions. Going by ur posting, u are just a freaking layman who refused to understand that various sociocultural issues are influenced and caused by multiplicity of factors, variables and dynamics. in ur case, u tied it all up to the economic factor, u need lessons on igbo culture and sociology in general faggy!!
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by jona2: 6:34pm On Dec 01, 2009
*jona:

quote from an igbo girl. grin

http://www.naijarules.com/vb/news-current-affairs-politics/33722-tradition-same-gender-marriage-igboland.html

Such exists in my maternal village and I have seen it in my extended family!!

The woman-wives gave birth to 4 children, all for different men!! And I am like, dam!!! isnt this a 'legal' way of promoting promiscuity?!! : cos she has license to bang around, all in the quest to have children for her Woman-husband!

Sure, there is hardly any form of sexual relationship between the woman- husband/wife, but, who is to say? Lesbianism definitely did not start in this generation! Must have been there pre-Christian era, but, folks just knew to hide it or something like that! Afterall, in bible times, Sodom and gomorrah showed evidence of homosexuality!

my rusty 2-pence!

Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by jona2: 6:34pm On Dec 01, 2009
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by jona2: 6:35pm On Dec 01, 2009
*jona:

it was a common practice for an igbo woman to marry her late husband's brother if she had children so the children can retain the family identity and inheritance, so igbo women date

[b]Tradition of same gender marriage in Igboland

By Leo Igwe

One of the contentious issues in the debate over homosexuality and same sex marriage is whether a marriage between persons of the same gender is totally alien to African culture and tradition. Those opposing same sex marriage have continued to argue that same gender union is foreign to Africa. On the contrary, I have tried to draw their attention to the fact that there is a strain of the same gender marriage in African tradition particularly in Igboland.

And that we should not rush to deny this, or pretend it does not exist or just sweep it under the carpet in the quest to establish that same gender marriage is alien to the African continent, and must be banned.

I hail from Mbaise in Imo State in Southern Nigeria. Traditionally, in my community, marriage is taken to be a union between a man and a woman as the case may be. But there are circumstances where a marriage between a woman and a woman is permissible.[/b]In a situation where a woman has no son or no child, if the husband dies, it is culturally allowed for her to marry a wife. And in this case, she becomes the husband. Like in every case of marriage, this woman goes out, inquires and gets a wife of her choice. She pays her dowry and fulfills other traditional rites as it is done when a man is marrying a woman.

After that, the woman brings her “wife” home and they start living together as “husband” and “wife”. Nobody frowns at it. To have children -both the “woman- husband” and “woman- wife”- will agree to allow a man from the same village or neighbouring town to sleep with the wife.

And the children born by the wife bears the family name of the woman- husband, not that of the man responsible for the pregnancy. I want to add here that the man who sleeps with such wife in most cases are married men. And normally it is regarded as immoral, in fact it is a taboo for a married man to sleep with or “father” children from another woman. But in this case an act normally taken to be immoral is allowed.

This is a situation where people are permitted to break taboos and deviate from traditions. This marriage practice pre- dates Christianity and the so- called western culture which most people today blame for all the moral and cultural wrongs in Africa. The same gender marriage is still practised till date. In other words, there are some families today in Igboland where women are both husbands and wives, fathers and mothers.

There are some homes where woman- husbands are living happily with their woman- wives. Though there are not many of such families or marriages. Such unconventional marriages and families are in the minority. The fact is that they exist. The fact is that they are part of the local tradition and culture. They are not imports from the West. And this has in no way undermined social cohesion, public order and morality or family values.

Some people have tried to argue that this is not really a case of gender marriage because a man comes in to impregnate the wife. But, traditionally, it is the case and it is known as such. It is a case where a woman marries a woman.

The man who impregnates the wife does not come into the picture at all. He has no family responsibility. His duty is only to supply sperm. The family is responsible for the woman- husband and wife.Some say that same gender unions destroy family values and undermine the upbringing of children.

It should be emphasised that children in this case are brought up in an environment where both “parents” are females. And they grow up to be normal children. Some say because child bearing is involved, then it is not same gender marriage. But my response is this: whether for procreation or for pleasure, it is same gender marriage. And it is the couples, not the state that decides whether to marry for procreation and or for pleasure or for any other purpose they deem fit.

Unfortunately, most Nigerians think that same gender marriage is antithetical to procreation. It is not. In fact same gender unions as in this case enrich family values. There have been instances where a partner in a same gender relationship wants children, and goes ahead to have them.

Because of the secrecy, privacy and hypocrisy that go with sexual expression, no one can really say, if these female partners have or do not have sex with each other. But like all couples they live together and run their families. But today, things are changing.

Individuals are becoming more open, more assertive and expressive with their sexual and marriage choices, desires, orientations and identities. The sexual and marriage dynamics are changing rapidly. And Africans must make the necessary social, cultural and legal adjustments in response to- and to accommodate- these changes.

Igwe is the executive secretary of the Nigerian Humanist Movement.

News

Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by londoner: 6:39pm On Dec 01, 2009
, Igbo obsession, lol
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 6:42pm On Dec 01, 2009
*jona:

"The woman-wives gave birth to 4 children, all for different men!! And I am like, dam!!! isnt this a 'legal' way of promoting promiscuity?!! : cos she has license to bang around, all in the quest to have children for her Woman-husband!"
Sure, there is hardly any form of sexual relationship between the woman- husband/wife, but, who is to say? Lesbianism definitely did not start in this generation! Must have been there pre-Christian era, but, folks just knew to hide it or something like that! Afterall, in bible times, Sodom and gomorrah showed evidence of homosexuality!"

In otherwords, are u gay? It seems u are fostering your gayist idea here. Are u looking for gay partners? damn u, u need emancipation from psychosis of sodomy. Fool! u refuse to comprehend that the idea is not necessarily an endorsement of lesbianism, rather, patriarchy, lineage continuity. Read, get education, live above sentimentalism and sensationalism. Yorubatic coward.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by sjeezy8: 7:25pm On Dec 01, 2009
Mekana:

"The woman-wives gave birth to 4 children, all for different men!! And I am like, dam!!! isnt this a 'legal' way of promoting promiscuity?!! : cos she has license to bang around, all in the quest to have children for her Woman-husband!"
Sure, there is hardly any form of sexual relationship between the woman- husband/wife, but, who is to say? Lesbianism definitely did not start in this generation! Must have been there pre-Christian era, but, folks just knew to hide it or something like that! Afterall, in bible times, Sodom and gomorrah showed evidence of homosexuality!"

In otherwords, are u gay? It seems u are fostering your gayist idea here. Are u looking for gay partners? damn u, u need emancipation from psychosis of sodomy. Fool! u refuse to comprehend that the idea is not necessarily an endorsement of lesbianism, rather, patriarchy, lineage continuity. Read, get education, live above sentimentalism and sensationalism. Yorubatic coward.

I feel sorry for you because you keep sayin yoruba dis n dat and jona is ijaw Ode
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 7:35pm On Dec 01, 2009
@sjeezy8, Jona's views represent that of most average yorubas educated and uneducated including urs. He might be Ijaw culturally, but he's yorubatic in orientation and psychologically going by the paradigm he is fostering here
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 01, 2009
^^ its like arguing a point with a nazi.

"there's a jew under every stone"
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by sjeezy8: 7:39pm On Dec 01, 2009
^^^^ lol ive come to realise that makena is a mad WOMAN
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Mekana(m): 7:44pm On Dec 01, 2009
sjeezy8:

^^^^ lol ive come to realise that makena is a mad WOMAN

u are arguing like a loser, disprove my points or go take a fresh air. An average Yoruba takes time to indoctrinate his kids on how to hate igbos, not how to be successful in life. The paradigm of anti-igbo sentiment is set and advanced by the west. Other ethnic groups don't have any biz with hating igbos, except few like Jona, who are more or less influenced by the evil philosophy of afenifere.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by sjeezy8: 8:02pm On Dec 01, 2009
^^^^ lol youre funny and i think EVERYONE makes it a habbit to poke fun at some igbos like yourself because some of you guys are psychos.

1.I told you that jona is ijaw you are still saying yoruba nonsense.
2.The civil war you are still blaming yorubas, yorubas are cowards and didnt fight the war. Nigerian army was mainly of northern stock.
3. You guys say marginalization and instead of saying hausas and fulanis, you say yorubas are the cause of it.
Everything Everything yoruba dis n dat lol

Continue on though you are joke
AND I CANT STOP LAUGHING YOU SILLY  PSYCHOTIC WOMAN
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Nchara: 8:07pm On Dec 01, 2009
Una still dey here?
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by jona2: 8:07pm On Dec 01, 2009
this topic still dey. wink       i know of several situations where a wife could not have children, and she went to her village to "marry" a woman for her husband. the second woman's children then become hers. i know of a family close to us, the second woman's children? they call her by her first name, and call the first wife "mama".

lipsrsealed
homosexuality is very common among igbos of biafra/nigeria.one of my igbo friend was telling me about one married igboman in aba around his compound then., how he used to yansh his (boys), before he could payed them,  homosexuality is northing new in igbo.lol.  check out owerri girls college,almost of all them were lesbians.
@topic
before they get married,they must have done up to 2-3 abortion.
they are great cheaters.money money is all they know.igbo girls can be very hairy nd muscular.
they are northing special,more like a second hand/leftover bride. with all this nonsense bride price they like selling,their fathers want you to buy their daughters for a very high price.who would want to pay that amount for an old cargo bride. grin
with their bleached and mustache face. grin
they like men with money.okay
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by jona2: 8:09pm On Dec 01, 2009
this is what nairaland is about. grin
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by theviper1: 8:34pm On Dec 01, 2009
pple of NL and especially ndigbo,can anybody tell me exactly who this fool jona is or what the mess he is blabbing about. he seems delusional and education and good english are certainly not his good attributes. this fool goes from one unconnected issue to another,making little or no sense and making himself look more morose and stupid along the way. can anyone who knows him tell him to pls stop posting and disgracing himself and his non-marrying tribe? am seriously getting sick cos of this guys water-melon brain. this idiot comes from a tribe that have no culture,where fathers bleeps daughters and brothers bleeps sisters. this is a tribe where everybody gets together,get drunk and have themselves one big family sex orgy.
nigga,this is not what NL is all about,it is your disintegrated brain that is fucking u up and playing tricks on you.
onye ara ekeututu.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Noblemm: 9:07pm On Dec 01, 2009
Most of them dont know what they want
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by blackboy(m): 10:28pm On Dec 01, 2009
A big shame? This thread shows Nigeria has a big , big problem, not Mr President , Not the military nor the politicians but ordinary Nigerian youths who have so much bitterness, hate, and disgust for each other just because of where the other person comes from which is different from theirs. NYSC has just been a big waste and all this rebranding is a sham.

We say the youth are the future , we are better than the old ones in power now; but that is not true. Read the insults, negative words just because of a question whereby an ethnic group was mentioned.

The church wont help us nor the mosque but we need to look at ourselves and learn to respect each other and stop being ethnically biased ( racism) in another form is what we have here in Nigeria and it's the bad type just waiting to explode.

Why not a matured , brilliant answer like some ppl gave to the question. And when you ask questions too, why not generalize or clarify cause it's many ethnic groups in Nigeria now that the women marry late ( even with the false ages now being paraded by many ) due to the economic situation in the country and other factors. It's a pity, we need to start loving and respecting each other for a truly greater Nigeria.

There is freedom of expression but think before you type.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by axeman85(m): 11:02pm On Dec 01, 2009
Mekana:

u are arguing like a loser, disprove my points or go take a fresh air. An average Yoruba takes time to indoctrinate his kids on how to hate igbos, not how to be successful in life. The paradigm of anti-igbo sentiment is set and advanced by the west. Other ethnic groups don't have any biz with hating igbos, except few like Jona, who are more or less influenced by the evil philosophy of afenifere.

i beg to differ in regards to your quote above mekana. with all due respect most people i know personally that are yoruba dont hold anything against igbos and infact encourage their children to mingle with them. i for example when i was growing up my friends were ogbonna next door that was selling rice and beans with kenneth inclusice of cyprian. we were friends and my folks didnt have any problem with. my mum with her level of education director in ministry of education when i told her my woman was igbo she was complaining and raising eyebrows and i was quick to call her to attention and tell her how dissapointed i was in her for making such comments about igbo people. and i told her its either she accepts my woman or she can vamose i even told her that if she doesnt come to my trad wedding in anambra that another woman will take her place. what am trying to say is even if the parents are trying to make us hate other culture we the generations of today and tomorrow should be able to stand up to them and point them in the right direction. each culture and tribe has its own fault so we should always generalise because mr a asked the man that wants to marry his daughter to bring 1million naira doesnt mean mr b will do the same .
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by theviper1: 12:01am On Dec 02, 2009
@axeman, i will agree with u 200% on that. infact i have evidence to back it up.my elder bros was living in new oko oba when he got married,his first daughter uche was not speaking igbo up till her 5th birthday cos yetunde,my bros landlord`s daughter was crazy about this girl. she virtually raised her up as her parents were rich. (my bros was and is still doing good 4 himself,thanks be to God). my bros has to leave that house cos water don dey passs garri,my mom cant talk to her grandchildren cos of yetunde. while i was staying with him also,all my friends were yorubas and their parents accepted me whole-heartedly. i was free to go to their houses and interact with them,borrow thier books and do other school works with them. so that is beside the point. if there are yoruba parents doing that,they are in the minority and am sure we will find such pple amongst the igbos. so lets go back to the sick poster and mad pple like @jona.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by THEAMAKA3(f): 12:53am On Dec 02, 2009
discussions, discussions, and more discussions.
damn! some people are really obsessed.
a lot of essays going on in here . . .
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by jona2: 1:23am On Dec 02, 2009
There are homosexuality practices in igboland, especially in boys-only school, and it is extremely frowned upon and punishable.

The Ibo girl:
You know the ibo girl, I know the ibo girl. So, everybody knows the ibo girl already.
Everybody knows that she doesn’t necessarily love you.
Everybody knows that she really loves your money. maybe that is why they married late.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by THEAMAKA3(f): 1:25am On Dec 02, 2009
^^^ wont you just shut up with your ridiculous stereotypes.
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Epi: 2:46am On Dec 02, 2009
^^ they should crown you lioness of igbo land, you still a hold tight (LOL) grin
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by THEAMAKA3(f): 2:49am On Dec 02, 2009
lol
stereotypes of all tribes are bad and just ridiculous.
these people are something else mehn. . .
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by lovemoi2(f): 2:51am On Dec 02, 2009
this thread still exist ehn,
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by Epi: 3:09am On Dec 02, 2009
^^ yup. and the amaka is ready and waiting for another round. Let's give her a round of ammunition applause. Looks like she vows to fight the anti-igbo till her last breath. hahahahaha, grin grin

one damn funny thread grin grin. Looking forward to read more
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by THEAMAKA3(f): 3:10am On Dec 02, 2009
Epi:

^^ yup. and the amaka is ready and waiting for another round. Let's give her a round of ammunition applause. Looks like she vows to fight the anti-igbo till her last breath. hahahahaha, grin grin

one damn funny thread grin grin. Looking forward to read more
hahahaha i wont say all that, but yeah.
lol
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by mwanamwiwa: 3:11am On Dec 02, 2009
Please visit the other part of Africa!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-51356.1504.html
Re: Most Igbo Girls Marry Late Why? by One11: 5:26am On Dec 02, 2009
@ mwanamwiwa

Sorry we dont care about kenya or the other side of Africa. So leave Nigerian politics!!! angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Babe Couldn't Walk In Heels! See Why This Guy Walks Home Barefooted After Church / Man Surprises His Two Wives With Their First Cars(photos) / Meet Nkiruka Blessing Okoro, Relationship Expert Had 4 Men For Different Purpose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.