Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,790 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment (36285 Views)

Sleep Paralysis: Is It Natural Or Spiritual? / Share Your Sleep Paralysis Experience Here. / Ovarian Cyst And Pregnancy: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Effect In Pregnant Wom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by mhisbliss(f): 1:30am On Feb 04, 2017
Divay22:
It happened to me countless times last year,when we newly relocated to the place we are now..... shocked shocked shocked shocked

Though mine started with a terrible nightmare....
They said i was forming strong abi,that i think i can pray I'll see... grin grin grin
From that day mine started

Sometimes i unconsciously see my mum and bro talking and laughing but i won't be able to call them, it's like I'm gonna die from there,what i always say in my mind was *God so I'll die like this,in my sleep,though my body and mind is active,but I won't be able to get up,but if only i can shake my body that only when i will get up......

Those i keep suspecting one mama in my corner,each time i pass her,she'll just be looking at me......... grin grin grin grin
But the Bible says "Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no arm"
Sometimes when i pass her I'll just say "He that touches me,touches God"......

Going to 5 months now,nothing of such has happened again.....

Though within me I knew our Spirit were not in line,there is something about her i just don't like......but i don't know...........

Thanks OP,but mine wasn't ordinary...
your mind is playing tricks, bringing memories of your daily life into your subconscious, the woman you see is innocent of what you are thinking about her, its just classical human paranoia, it has nothing to do with the supernatural

4 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Bamidele539: 1:31am On Feb 04, 2017
generally or it is widely believed that incubus a male demon which lies upon women in order to engage in sexual activities with them, while its female counterpart called seccubus does the same to men in thier sleep. Africa tradition will tell its the spirit wife/spirit husband at work, dont know if this statement is true/false
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by QueenOfcasting(f): 1:37am On Feb 04, 2017
op u did a great job in enlightening me and others who didn't have an idea about this. thanks

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Rick9(m): 1:37am On Feb 04, 2017
OP which kind picture come be that Na ah. U write better thing come use de picture take spoil am, abeg remove am jor
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Omoluabi16(m): 1:41am On Feb 04, 2017
mhisbliss:
Sleep Paralysis

Have you ever had a nightmare (usually horrible) and tried to react to it, but you couldn't, you tried to scream, wake up, run or struggle but you couldn't and you felt like an intruder or a supernatural force is holding you down, keeping you from waking up, or scream for help? The condition is called sleep paralysis,

Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which an individual, either during falling asleep or awakening, briefly experiences an inability to move, speak, or react. It happens during REM(rapid eye movement) sleep,

REM is a stage of sleep when the brain is very active and dreams often occur. The body is unable to move, apart from the eyes and muscles used in breathing, possibly to stop you acting out your dreams and hurting yourself.

Sleep paralysis is usually accompanied by fear, hallucinations, fast or difficulty in breathing, sometimes sufferers feel like supernatural forces or human (which thier consciousness believes is capable of hurting them) is trying to kill or suffocate them in thier sleep and when they try to call for help and couldn't, they'll come to the conclusion that its the village witch at work,

Most people who experienced sleep paralysis often feel the presence of an intruder in thier room, outside by the window, a shadowy shapeless figure holding them down to thier bed or someone looking down at them, the paralysis is partial though, and thats why they can move some parts of their body when it occurs,

In some cases they might be visions, out of body experiences and ghostly presence, they're unverified claims that the mythical creature incubus a male demon which lies upon women in order to engage in sexual activities with them, its female counterpart seccubus does the same to men in thier sleep.

Symptoms of sleep paralysis

*you'll be aware of your surroundings but you'll be unable to move, because you're temporarily paralyzed

*irregular and rapid breathing, and perspiration, which you cant control

*you feel the presence of someone(the intruder who you believe is there to harm you) in your room, fear, and panic.

*you wont be able to move, some people can open thier eyes though.

Causes of sleep paralysis

1. Genetics: when theres a history of sleep paralysis in your family

2. Not getting much sleep (insomnia)

3. Little or no night rest to relax the brain, the brain is responsible for your dreams.

4. Jetlag or irregular sleep pattern

5. Sleeping at inappropriate time, which might be induced by drugs, weed, narcolepsy, night job.

Treatment of sleep paralysis

1. Always sleep at the same time every day day, if you're the type that goes to bed by 9pm every day keep it that way

2. Sleep in a sleep inducing environment, quiet, dark, comfortable temperature

3. Don't consume substances that might keep you up at night, like caffeine, kolanut, alcohol

4. Dont eat big meals before going to bed

5. Get at least 6-8 hours of sleep every night

Original author:mhisbliss

my dear, forget this your grammar. It is purely spiritual....I experience this thing occasionally.I did just last week, twice in quick succession. I could hear everything going on but couldn't move,I was just praying within me. By the time I came out of it,I was too scared to go back to sleep. This is a purr metaphysical event.

2 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Omoluabi16(m): 1:48am On Feb 04, 2017
MARKone:
It is a common occurance. But basically to reduce it, avoid sleeping on your back.
exactly.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by dovetark: 1:53am On Feb 04, 2017
jatau7:
na now u know. ..amen

Lol they never seem to end bro
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 1:58am On Feb 04, 2017
I experienced it a lot (only nights I slept late)... it's an horrible experiences... I see real demons with my naked eyes and I can't just do nothing about it...

I made my research 5 years ago and I came across this sleep paralysis thingy...

believe you me,,, this thing is both NATURAL AND SPIRITUAL no doubt about that...

the experience is freaking terrifying...
all the loud hurling sound, the dummmm sounds... the visions*seein demons starin at you and tryin to suck life outta you, but you can't just move an inch* you try to scream for help but damn you just can't...your own very room feel with horrible creatures just like in the movies... your wall is dangling, you hear voices laughing and screaming.....sometimes you see them trying to take your own very soul outta of your body.. but you're fighting hard in your mind..chanting words of prayers and callin on JESUS... AND when you finally woke up.. your own body feels like you've been hit by a thousand trailers... you find yourself gasping for air and breathing like a dog about to be suffocated or like a dog suffering from the heat of summer

it's really, really terrible and horrible

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Pvin: 2:18am On Feb 04, 2017
MARKone:
It is a common occurance. But basically to reduce it, avoid sleeping on your back.

you are so on point. that is the major cause of it (facing the ceiling while sleeping)
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Misternas89(m): 2:21am On Feb 04, 2017
Thanks OP, it happened to me sometimes too angry cry
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by ifeolamide00(m): 2:26am On Feb 04, 2017
thanks opp it happens to me too,i was thinking twas a followcome from our village!!!
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by bigfrancis21: 2:51am On Feb 04, 2017
Sleep paralysis is the gateway to Astral projection. If you wake up in such state, your inner you or soul is halfway out of your body and with some extra mental effort you could will yourself out of the body or shell temporarily, travel around the earth for some fun and return. It doesn't happen to me very often and I often wish it does. Its happened to me twice and during those times I could not feel my entire body except my chest area and I felt another part of me, my soul, floating above my body but one part stuck to my chest area which would not disengage with mental effort. Next I think of my body and I feel my soul settling inside of it again. For those who experience this often consider this a blessing especially if you're interested in things spiritual.

2 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by bigfrancis21: 2:53am On Feb 04, 2017
mhisbliss:
Sleep Paralysis

Have you ever had a nightmare (usually horrible) and tried to react to it, but you couldn't, you tried to scream, wake up, run or struggle but you couldn't and you felt like an intruder or a supernatural force is holding you down, keeping you from waking up, or scream for help? The condition is called sleep paralysis,

Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which an individual, either during falling asleep or awakening, briefly experiences an inability to move, speak, or react. It happens during REM(rapid eye movement) sleep,

REM is a stage of sleep when the brain is very active and dreams often occur. The body is unable to move, apart from the eyes and muscles used in breathing, possibly to stop you acting out your dreams and hurting yourself.

Sleep paralysis is usually accompanied by fear, hallucinations, fast or difficulty in breathing, sometimes sufferers feel like supernatural forces or human (which thier consciousness believes is capable of hurting them) is trying to kill or suffocate them in thier sleep and when they try to call for help and couldn't, they'll come to the conclusion that its the village witch at work,

Most people who experienced sleep paralysis often feel the presence of an intruder in thier room, outside by the window, a shadowy shapeless figure holding them down to thier bed or someone looking down at them, the paralysis is partial though, and thats why they can move some parts of their body when it occurs,

In some cases they might be visions, out of body experiences and ghostly presence, they're unverified claims that the mythical creature incubus a male demon which lies upon women in order to engage in sexual activities with them, its female counterpart seccubus does the same to men in thier sleep.

Symptoms of sleep paralysis

*you'll be aware of your surroundings but you'll be unable to move, because you're temporarily paralyzed

*irregular and rapid breathing, and perspiration, which you cant control

*you feel the presence of someone(the intruder who you believe is there to harm you) in your room, fear, and panic.

*you wont be able to move, some people can open thier eyes though.

Causes of sleep paralysis

1. Genetics: when theres a history of sleep paralysis in your family

2. Not getting much sleep (insomnia)

3. Little or no night rest to relax the brain, the brain is responsible for your dreams.

4. Jetlag or irregular sleep pattern

5. Sleeping at inappropriate time, which might be induced by drugs, weed, narcolepsy, night job.

Treatment of sleep paralysis

1. Always sleep at the same time every day day, if you're the type that goes to bed by 9pm every day keep it that way

2. Sleep in a sleep inducing environment, quiet, dark, comfortable temperature

3. Don't consume substances that might keep you up at night, like caffeine, kolanut, alcohol

4. Dont eat big meals before going to bed

5. Get at least 6-8 hours of sleep every night

Original author:mhisbliss

Sleep paralysis is the gateway to Astral projection. If you wake up in such state, your inner you or soul is halfway out of your body and with some extra mental effort you could will yourself out of the body or shell temporarily, travel around the earth for some fun and return. It doesn't happen to me very often and I often wish it does. Its happened to me twice and during those times I could not feel my entire body except my chest area and I felt another part of me, my soul, floating above my body but one part stuck to my chest area which would not disengage with mental effort. Next I think of my body and I feel my soul settling inside of it again. For those who experience this often consider this a blessing especially if you're interested in things spiritual.

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by nams77: 2:58am On Feb 04, 2017
Azil:
The one time it happened to me, I remained calm and let it run it's course as I had read once about it.

I told my Dad about it and the prayers he 'fired' afterwards, I couldn't stop laughing.
Your dad was probably right. Don't overlook this things. Most times there are spiritual undertones. Trust me

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Timzyatcool24(m): 3:03am On Feb 04, 2017
May God help us
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by sleeknick: 3:10am On Feb 04, 2017
mhisbliss:
can't sleep insomnia
If u are still awake by this time, u be witch.

Abeg come meeting... Today na Olympic dey start grin
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by chiefolododo(m): 3:51am On Feb 04, 2017
This girl should not be taken serious due to reasons best known to me .Thanks
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by VickyRotex(f): 3:54am On Feb 04, 2017
mhisbliss:
i understand i also suffer from severe insomnia, right now theres no sign of sleep anywhere but surprisingly as early as 6am am up, its compulsory, but weekends which is tomorrow my mindset will adjust to the fact that tomorrow ain't busy and my body will relax and i sleep till 9am, so the body works like that, it adjusts to your daily routine on its own, and thats why if it geys used to any sleep pattern its hard to change back

Exactly! The body sure has a mind of it's own. That's why it's been hard to change mine.

It's well! Hope you get enough sleep tonight. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by InvertedHammer: 4:26am On Feb 04, 2017
hopeforcharles:

If there is a I guess in ur explanation then its a completely wrong explanation. People still think there are no supernatural forces existing, well i pity them.and you better know that somethings are spiritual and lack this ur half baked explanation.
/
Sleep paralysis is the oyibo name.
Our African people love the show "paranormal activities".
They pray against witches and wizards but will hate to admit that they exist. If you believe good and evil but deny the existence of devil, you are invariably denying the existence of God.

In a coffin, a corpse lays in supine position. Sleep paralysis occur most when sleeping like a corpse (facing up). And you tell me there is no spiritual angle to it? Talking about superstition, oyibo folks are equally as superstitious as blacks.
/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 4:29am On Feb 04, 2017
Mhisbliss this is absolutely remarkable indeed.
Very educative.
You just demystified Sleep Paralysis which people had always felt and still feels is a spiritual attack.
For you to have authored that, i put it to you you were in med.school.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by wHyyyyyyyyyY: 4:36am On Feb 04, 2017
VickyRotex:
How can you get 6 to 8 hours? cry cry cry cry
laziness. Datz wat it is. 8 hours of sleep every night is pure laziness

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 4:42am On Feb 04, 2017
You cannot rule out completely the fact that demons can attack or disturb somebody slip
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Babaevans1(m): 4:43am On Feb 04, 2017
lekbel09:
my people perish because of ignorance av u forgotten that the spiritual control the physical, wetdreams incessantly na konji? No bro that is spirit wife serious one, aldo some might be konji buh having such dreams incesantly is spiritual pls take note

Guy na over konji be that, there is nothing spiritual about wet dreams. Stop deceiving people.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by browniex: 4:46am On Feb 04, 2017
If this is true,then you have really brought relief to my soul,because I am always a victim,and whenever I wake up in the morning I will be suspecting people around me,especially the women,thinking that one of them came to Bleep me at night.

2 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 4:50am On Feb 04, 2017
Seriously, inasmuch this can have a spiritual undertone. my question is that is everyone especially Africans under spiritual attack?
My observations, when I sleep in an hotel infact, I see nothing until I wake. I sleep like a baby.
I think it as to do with the environment you are, how clean, serene and air-conditioned. Try to make your room possibly clean and gabbage-free then you enjoy your sleep. With all the prayers we pray against the witches and wizard in Nigeria alone should be enough for them to die all but yet are multiplying in numbers .

3 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Babaevans1(m): 4:58am On Feb 04, 2017
Omoluabi16:
my dear, forget this your grammar. It is purely spiritual....I experience this thing occasionally.I did just last week, twice in quick succession. I could hear everything going on but couldn't move,I was just praying within me. By the time I came out of it,I was too scared to go back to sleep. This is a purr metaphysical event.

Look for one babalawo or fake pastor and dash ur hard earned money since d enemies are after u. Ignorance is truly a disease.

4 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 4:59am On Feb 04, 2017
I've been there, done that!
....very nasty/scary experience!
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Aroh48(m): 5:10am On Feb 04, 2017
charliboy654:
From 10pm to 6am is 7hrs
here in lagos, we don't even have 5 hrs sleep.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 5:15am On Feb 04, 2017
Nice thread and well-written suggestions for preventing sleep paralysis.

However, sleep paralysis, if caused by demon possession (because it's among the signs of possession by a demon), cannot be prevented by those recommendations.

Such instances, which defy medical notions, can only be rectified with prayers, deliverance.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Tman007: 5:15am On Feb 04, 2017
Very true. The few times I experienced it, I slept on my back.
MARKone:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Guidance On The Use Of Face Masks In Nigeria By NCDC / 8 Common Habits That Are Unhealthy For Your Eyes / 5 Almajiris Test Positive For COVID-19 In Kaduna After Repatriation From Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.