Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) (47933 Views)

ASUU: Our Public Universities Are Still Unsafe For Reopening / Diamond Bank ICT Center Donated To Covenant University (Photos) / How Federal Universities Are Covering Up Corruption And Sexual Harassment-SERAP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by origima: 8:49am On Feb 23, 2017
Can u pay same amount of money in Federal university without getting same services?covenant university is expensive and u be to get the Worth of ur money yet it is not so.how many students have died this year cos of bad food yet very very expensive
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 8:49am On Feb 23, 2017
LordZero:

Leave him alone o..

I downloaded one of their so called research publications(msc thesis to be precise) back then while I was doing my undergraduate(BSc) project research. Reading through the literary review alone, I could see a lot of inconsistencies and I had to show one junior lecturer in my department, he just told me to look for other articles. This same thesis was signed by not less than 5 profs (most of which are visiting lecturers).

Anyone can upload anything. . It's all about the quality and not the quantity. .
Tell me the title of d research

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by TheVictorious(m): 8:49am On Feb 23, 2017
SonOfEl:
Come rain, come shine, CU can never be better than UI, OAU, UNN, UNILAG and ABU, (and even UNIBEN, UNICAL). Yes, CU has a more favorable learning environment, i sincerely agree, but the output and quality of both its research and alumni does not match that of the federal schools mentioned.

While checking the research of CU, you should have checked that of the other universities (e.g UI for instance) to compare their research quality and output.

At the bolded, okay I don hear you. The same fallacious and logically deficient thinking pattern I hammered on in the post! Why didn't you simply attack the point with verifiable claims. Performance of institutions isn't based on the assumptions of our minds!

Talking about comparison of research output; did you read the post at all?? or you just feel like displaying your ignorance.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by wman(m): 8:53am On Feb 23, 2017
Finished from OAU. I love sane arguments like this. Thsi is far better than all those yeye mushroom arguments we see flying all around.

I'll be back.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by eph12(m): 8:53am On Feb 23, 2017
AZeD1:

Though i find your topic petty, this post up here proves the point of people who say public Uni's are better than private Uni's.

Coventry University is 12 years, its Alumni would definitely be younger than that of older universities. That you consider this a point shows the level of your intelligence.

As for the notable alumni's, can you tell me one university that doesn't have any notable alumni?
PS: You should also define what notable means to you, because i'm pretty sure no one outside of CU knows any of the guys listed here.
With the high number and quality of students admitted every year we should expect better from federal universities.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by TheVictorious(m): 8:53am On Feb 23, 2017
Elnino4ladies:
Glorified secondary school

With 15 years of results that dwarf the decades of results of their UN-GLORIFIED counterparts mentioned in this post.
Nice to know you even glorify the school at least.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 23, 2017
TheVictorious:

8. ELECTRICITY

Given the presence of a durable power generation gas plant, electricity is not a setback for CU. In fact, In case of any problem with the gas plant, major building has standby diesel generators, as there are places where there must always be power 24/7 (like in the CST – molecular lab).

So when it comes to stable power supply, UI and OAU are no match to Covenant University.

https://www.nairaland.com/3578855/canaanland-ota-now-generates-15mw

To add to the 15mw generated presently, CU decided to go green in her energy production. Only recently did the institution partner with Transcorp Power for power generation through solar energy!

https://www.nairaland.com/3635378/transcorp-power-partners-covenant-university

I believe that the writer said,I was in UI for Msc in Economics and I love the experience. But other faculties don't have better class room than Eco dept.

CU in all it departments has better class rooms and better teaching aid

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Jeromejnr(m): 8:54am On Feb 23, 2017
Handsomecole:
Yes! I decided to talk about size any problem with that??

A lot bro...a lot.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by LegitBoy(m): 8:55am On Feb 23, 2017
Anybody who attended a Public University in Nigeria and is denying this is just just being delusional. The conducive environment at CU is enough to put them ahead in all aspect. Come to my school , we have some department where more than 300 students receive lectures in a 150 capacity lecture theatre.

The only thing this federal universities lives on is past glories especially OAU, can't forget my experience the day we went for a competition there. Their life is so rough that I kept wondering how people survived in that kind of place like slums ( hostels). I know dome people will quote me with the " it prepares you for the future shit" No it doesn't, we are just used to suffering in thus country. Visit any of this top Private Universities then you will know most of us in Public universities are suffering .

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Jeromejnr(m): 8:55am On Feb 23, 2017
BUTCHCASSIDY:

In fact I was wrong those thing he put up are not even modifications. They are replications of existing products

Note this: You never give patents for already existing products. Never!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by arejibadz(m): 8:56am On Feb 23, 2017
dat your number 3 ehnnn.....aw will covenant university not have good academic excellence with d school fees day are paying your now comparing to govt uni or your a father you send your child to a school like that your now expecting him to graduate with a cgpa of 1.5
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by eph12(m): 8:56am On Feb 23, 2017
dman4mdmoon:
There is no basis for this comparison. You don't expect to get less value for paying so much (cut throat fees). CU charges millions! Therefore, they should give value for the money parents pay.
So you're saying CU is better because they charge huge fees?

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by TheVictorious(m): 8:57am On Feb 23, 2017
PassingShot:
There is a lot of sense in the OP.

I used to treat graduates of private universities as "rejects" from top federal universities, but that has changed since about five years ago.

I appreciate your comments man. Not really astounded though; always go through your posts. you're one of the guys that make very sensible contributions on this forum!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by plentykola(m): 8:57am On Feb 23, 2017
The so called public universities has produced president,vice president, ministers, speakers governors and very important Nigerians. For me instead of sending my children to any private universities in Nigeria I will send them aboard to study I served with a CU graduate and I was disappointed in the school cos if Na OAU or UI she won't graduate I served with some graduates from other schools in Nigeria and I wonder y did I go that far to school instead of staying in Nigeria cos I was impressed

4 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 8:57am On Feb 23, 2017
sirfemoz:
No doubt private universities may be good in academics, but when it comes to sense, their students actually reason like kids. Have a lot of them in my office, very proud in saying that their 4years in school cost 6 to 7 million naira.
Anyone who says such to oppress is only being arrogant. And arrogant ppl exist everywhere.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by PrinceMario(m): 8:57am On Feb 23, 2017
Baseless write up. Most of the Junk the Op put down here are unfounded and malicious. Probably, he had never stepped his foots on either of OAU or UI soil but has been wallowing in the gibberish assumptions he saw online.

1. Electricity: OAU light has not twinkle for the past 72hours now. On Saturdays when the maintenance unit will at work, a memo about power will be passed around the whole campus since say Thursday.

2. Students course load: You wrote that CU students offer more coursework than OAU and UI and blindly infer that CU students offers an average of 13units course per semester. This is laughable sir. Always get your fact right before putting junks online, you indirectly mocked the intelligence radius of CU students Sir.
For your information, you can't register less than 15units coursework in OAU as the portal has been programmed to indirectly reject your registration if less than 15units.
A freshman on OAU campus offer an average of 20units coursework per semester. Need I tell you theat every OAU students are mandated to have complete at least 12units special elective upon graduatio . What this means is just that, aside from your normal department and faculty courses, you must have gone to at least 6 different faculties on campus to take courses so as to be vast in other fields and not just be narrow-minded to just what you come to study on campus.

3. Spirituality: You must be a joker. That CU is owned by a church doesn't make it spiritual. We regularly hear news of homosexuality in these church owned varsities every now and then.
Take a trip down to OAU and ask for the direction of OAU's sport complex. Come back to this thread and thank me.

4. Alumi Body: A university listing Emma Oh my God as one of it notable alumni needs to chastisement from me.
OAU has the strongest alumni body(both home and abroad) in West African.
To start listing our alumin here will make you chicken out of this debate as it will be seen as crime against humanity. But, nevertheless, have it at the back of your mind that this very platform your using to market CU is an invention of an OAU product.

10 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by micxwell(m): 8:59am On Feb 23, 2017
Statsocial:

You didn't even include Simi sef
I am student of a federal uni. Let's all agree that lack of funds is really eating our institutions up jor.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Zizzydex(f): 8:59am On Feb 23, 2017
MR OP,GOOD POINT BT U DN T AV ENUF POINTS ON UI ND OAU.JST GOOGLE.I AM 4RM BETA BY FAR BT AV SEEN WORLD CLASS QUALITY RESEARCH WORK 4RM U.I.ESPECIALLY IN LANGUAGE ND LINGUISTIC DEPT,AFRICAN STUDIES,THEATHRE ARTS ETC. 2. CONVENANT UNIVERSITY PARENT PAY ALOT OF MONEY,THEREFORE U DNT EXPECT D STUDENT 2 RIOT OR GO ON STRIKE.BY D WAY UNILORIN,KWASU,OSUN STATE UNIVERSITY DNT STRIKE TOO. 3.HW MANY LECTURERS OR RESEARCHER'S IN CONVENANT ARE REALLY PRODUCT OF CONVENANT UNIVERSITY.THEY ARE PRODUCT OF DIS FEDERAL UNIVERSITY. 4,UNILORIN,U.I ALSO ENGAGE IN SUMMER EXCHANGE PROGRAMME WITH OTHER UNIVERSITIES,BOTH STAFF ND STUDENTS. IN CONCLUSION,U.I,OAU,UNIBEN,UNILORIN,ABU ARE NT ON SAME LEVEL WITH C.U.LET THEM AV D FUNDS AVAILABLE TO C.U ND U WILL SEE WONDERS. MY OPINION.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by TheVictorious(m): 8:59am On Feb 23, 2017
jtwest:
@ op u av done well, but this is a case of a boy arguing with his father that he has a bigger manhood in the market place, it will be an insult for the father to argue with him and justify his naivety, so in lieu of this; we will watch you and laugh, the write up is cute. You can go and play now!

lool you're very funny but logically incorrect though. Do you mean you guys can't just accept evidence but at the same time can't refute it either

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by SonOfEl(m): 9:00am On Feb 23, 2017
eph12:

Well the point is that these federal universities have been on a steady decline over the years. I remember my lecturer then using a note he prepared years ago to lecture us. smh

Steady decline is a relative term, you don't generalize. Its just like me saying that ALL private uni are glorified secondary 'ajebo' schools.

Your lecturer may have felt the need to revisit those notes. It doesn't in anyway downplay his professorship.

Its just a matter of time....let's see how long CU will remain 'in form' for competitiveness.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 9:01am On Feb 23, 2017
walex2:
Good job but let me enlight you a bit.
Do you know that 80 percent of CU professors and academicians are from federal universities.

2 Do you know that the regulatory bodies like NUC top professors are from public uni?

3 Do you know that CU overall best graduated student can't not match some 2.2 student in OAU and UI

4 Do you know that most courses in Private universities were not accredited by NUC

5 Do you know some professional bodies in Nigeria like ICAN does not accept exceptions from most Accounting graduate from private Universities.
Lastly do you know that most graduate from private uni can't match there colleagues from fed uni in labour market

6 Do you also know that 85 percent of students from private uni do graduate with 2.1 whether they are academically sufficient or not, as 2.2 is considered to be a failure.
Yet CU firstclass students continually trash Oau, ui and Unilag during pressid.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by TheVictorious(m): 9:03am On Feb 23, 2017
Opakan2:

Most are actually rejects.. They end up in private unis where they spoon-feed them and sell certificates to them

Honestly, you should relate with them more, most still think and behave like kids (not healthy for a society)

Rejects of who. Have you checked JAMB statistics for CU admitted students?

This guy's O level graded will give you an idea: https://www.nairaland.com/2425339/danced-played-football-basketball-rapped

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by ilynem(m): 9:03am On Feb 23, 2017
khalhokage:
Stupid post, considering the fact that covenant university students pay millions more on tuition than public university students, I expect the school to be better.

Useless comparisons on this forum.
This is a stupid argument as public schools are subsidised and run by government. So it is actually supposed to be better. Look at public schools abroad, they can't be compared with their private counterparts. So give them credit for running the school properly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Handsomecole(m): 9:04am On Feb 23, 2017
Well it's your problem so deal with it.
Jeromejnr:

A lot bro...a lot.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by micxwell(m): 9:05am On Feb 23, 2017
Zizzydex:
MR OP,GOOD POINT BT U DN T AV ENUF POINTS ON UI ND OAU.JST GOOGLE.I AM 4RM BETA BY FAR BT AV SEEN WORLD CLASS QUALITY RESEARCH WORK 4RM U.I.ESPECIALLY IN LANGUAGE ND LINGUISTIC DEPT,AFRICAN STUDIES,THEATHRE ARTS ETC. 2. CONVENANT UNIVERSITY PARENT PAY ALOT OF MONEY,THEREFORE U DNT EXPECT D STUDENT 2 RIOT OR GO ON STRIKE.BY D WAY UNILORIN,KWASU,OSUN STATE UNIVERSITY DNT STRIKE TOO. 3.HW MANY LECTURERS OR RESEARCHER'S IN CONVENANT ARE REALLY PRODUCT OF CONVENANT UNIVERSITY.THEY ARE PRODUCT OF DIS FEDERAL UNIVERSITY. 4,UNILORIN,U.I ALSO ENGAGE IN SUMMER EXCHANGE PROGRAMME WITH OTHER UNIVERSITIES,BOTH STAFF ND STUDENTS. IN CONCLUSION,U.I,OAU,UNIBEN,UNILORIN,ABU ARE NT ON SAME LEVEL WITH C.U.LET THEM AV D FUNDS AVAILABLE TO C.U ND U WILL SEE WONDERS. MY OPINION.
Thanks. Exactly what's on my mind. The op doesn't understand, you think it's easy for a lecture that hasn't be paid almost 6months salaries to churn out good research papers

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Jeromejnr(m): 9:05am On Feb 23, 2017
Handsomecole:
Well it's your problem so deal with it.

Actually its d problem of d country and where it is today.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 9:06am On Feb 23, 2017
Imagine, overhyped secondary school.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by eph12(m): 9:07am On Feb 23, 2017
SonOfEl:

Steady decline is a relative term, you don't generalize. Its just like me saying that ALL private uni are glorified secondary 'ajebo' schools.

Your lecturer may have felt the need to revisit those notes. It doesn't in anyway downplay his professorship.

Its just a matter of time....let's see how long CU will remain 'in form' for competitiveness.

At bolded that's the problem. Nobody cares what kind of graduates they're churning out but it's to shout 2000 professors in my faculty up and down. Doesn't make sense at all.

Which is better to you? Practical based or theory based mode of learning?

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by shamecurls(m): 9:08am On Feb 23, 2017
In utmost sincerity, Federal universities re just known to have massive physical structures and land mass. Intellectually, They re outdated and empty

#BitterTruth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Dexema(m): 9:08am On Feb 23, 2017
I'm sure the dude who owns Nairaland is from CU.
You guys are trying but you will need at least 25 or more years of consistent improvement and maintenance of high academic standard to keep up with these schools you mentioned. They didn't get there in one day.
Also kindly work on any feelings of inferiority you have towards those schools and their products.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 9:08am On Feb 23, 2017
TheBatman:
True CU has quality research presence in the Nigerian academic ecosystem. BUT lets look at it broadly.
1) Almost all CU researchers/lecturers were poached from Federal and State Universities.
2) It is safe to argue that this lectu started their research work years before they started working at CU, I.e when they were still working in those Government owned Uni's (especially those who own patents).
so its like saying I started my work at Uniben but left and finished it up in CU. Now CU takes the glory for the Research, and all praises go to CU.
3). OP kept mentioning the number of READs, your number of reads isn't actually relevant, its your number of citation that matter. Even if I mistakenly download one paper I later found useless, it would still be counted as a READ.
No doubt CU provides a good environment for the lecturers to thrive something our government can't provide (and that is why ASUU strike persists).
I actually have other criticism, so watch this space (no time it type it all).
That publication with 10k reads was published in San Francisco on Oct 16, 2016. Obviously it Is impossible for a citation to come in till the next two months. As regards Citation in Nigeria UI is still number 1 followed by abuad and cu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by PassingShot(m): 9:08am On Feb 23, 2017
TheVictorious:

I appreciate your comments man. Not really astounded though; always go through your posts. you're one of the guys that make very sensible contributions on this forum!
Thanks mate.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Hot Cakes: These Are The Best And Most Rewarding Degree Courses In Nigeria / UNILAG Student Shot In The Head On Campus / Unizik Postgraduate Result Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.