Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,527 members, 7,837,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) (48086 Views)

ASUU: Our Public Universities Are Still Unsafe For Reopening / Diamond Bank ICT Center Donated To Covenant University (Photos) / How Federal Universities Are Covering Up Corruption And Sexual Harassment-SERAP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by SonOfEl(m): 10:22am On Feb 23, 2017
heayernu56:
To those supporting federal universities, how many private universities have you visited... can the laboratories in the federal universities compare to those in afe babalola uni., convenant uni., e. t. c.

In federal universities, you struggle to learn rather than "learning in a conducive environment"(then tell me, why won't there be higher pass rate in the private unis.). Just take a visit to covenant university and you will see that, all that is left of most federal universities is their name.

I will give you just three quotes:

" necessity is the mother of invention"

"A smooth sea can never make a great sailor"

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going"

Digest it and learn.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by SonOfEl(m): 10:25am On Feb 23, 2017
prettyboi1989:

are u lost? whats d nonsense about inferiority complex? carry ur frustrations elsewhere ok, its not so hard to know one and m nt ready to spend precious time speaking with a troll

Chai....e pain am
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by TheVictorious(m): 10:26am On Feb 23, 2017
ITbomb:
The only thing I can say here is that most of OAU etc research are off the Internet so just because you have better ICT infrastructure, you come today and start uploading 10 research every day to overtake varsity which has been doing research before you were born is not a good base for argument

Whenever an argument ends with Google it, it now depends on who put more information online, not basically who has more information

One of the most reasonable comments I've seen so far but remove that "before you were bore", it's got nothing to do with anything.

Since you agree your lecturers don't have better (or maybe even "good"wink, no point arguing. What standards make a university globally relevant afterall do you know?

At the bolded: Wise word, I totally agree! Who has more information is not as relevant as who has visible information. It will therefore be senseless for the later to argue with the former that he has more information - until he display the information at his disposal for everyone to verify.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by SonOfEl(m): 10:31am On Feb 23, 2017
TheVictorious:

One of the most reasonable comments I've seen so far but remove that "before you were bore", it's got nothing to do with anything.

Since you agree your lecturers don't have better (or maybe even "good"wink, no point arguing. What standards make a university globally relevant afterall do you know?

At the bolded: Wise word, I totally agree! Who has more information is not as relevant as who has visible information. It will therefore be senseless for the later to argue with the former that he has more information - until he display the information at his disposal for everyone to verify.

Still cherry picking on posts to comment on? SMH

you having the best learning environment does not make you better than those who produce the best despite the shortcomings.

Its too early for you and op to make such bold and childish assertions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 10:34am On Feb 23, 2017
SonOfEl:

Chai....e pain am
Just hear urself, u tink uve scored some kind of cheap point? how delusional, childish and immature u could be. ask the last guy that mentioned me with insults, his username is ogrin, how i shut him up for good. jst type ogrin in the search bar. if u nt careful u might just end up like him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by zeongeon: 10:35am On Feb 23, 2017
The problem with us in Nigeria is that we hate the truth coupled with the fact that we are envious.. The OP stated his claims with fact but we rather remain in the dark.

The people bashing OP if they have the means tomorrow won't even send there kids to the public universities they themselves went to. it's a known truth that the educational system in Nigeria is screwed.

The public universities are only living in there past glory. They can't be compared to CU presently. Go to our public universities and then you will see why the elites either send the kids abroad or to CU.

You know the truth.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by irepsuccess: 10:35am On Feb 23, 2017
TheVictorious:
10. GOOD GOVERNANCE

Good leadership/ Organization/ Transparency: Well, it is common fact that the performance of any system is determined by her leadership. It is also no news that bad governance is the bane of our federal universities such as OAU and UI. Unlike federal varsities where individuals fight to seize power at all cost and use it to their selfish advantage, to the detriment of the university community; Covenant University has a good, transparent and highly efficient leadership that has “never” witnessed anarchy once. Covenant University has a Board of Regent headed by Dr. David Oyedepo and other principal stakeholders that are also God-fearing men & women of God. These appoint the VC (the head of the university community) who in turn takes decision in accordance with the resolution of the senate. Decisions in Covenant University follow due processes that can never be by-passed by anybody! Unlike majority of our federal school (in which this is more expected of – being a public entity); CU has a working system that is bigger than any individual. The proofs of this are manifested in the following:

Stable academic calendar: nobody can halt the academic calendar for any reason. From the day you enter, you can check the calendar for the date you will graduate. Unlike OAU and UI that student’s wait for their convocation date to be announced! CU has never shutdown once or even witnessed strikes, riots, etc. since inception. Can we say the same for OAU and UI?

Look at what is obtainable in OAU and UI:
https://www.naij.com/68376.html
http://punchng.com/oau-closed-indefinitely-%E2%80%8Eover-workers-protest/
https://www.360nobs.com/2016/04/university-ibadan-shut-indefinitely-students-protest/
http://pulse.ng/student/university-of-ibadan-varsity-shut-down-indefinitely-over-students-protest-id4966344.html

Transparency: CU is a very transparent institution. Students' result for instance, cannot be influenced because the checks are computer based and can’t be compromised. The school has windows for everything ranging from course registration to class attendance upload, course evaluation and even result validation. Things ain’t just done haphazardly. Should one miss any of these windows for any reason, senate has to meet to take decision on that case if the reason(s) put forward are strong enough. For example a lecturer that did not upload a student’s result during the uploading window has to apply for do so, with valid proofs. After the close or result uploading window (which take a few days), Uploaded results cannot be recalled by the lecturer; it can only be validated by the student.

Result validation: Students can request for their scripts to be remarked during the result validation window, and if still not satisfied can request that it should be marked by another lecturer.

Mail system: Every CU student possess a unique university mail address (which follows a definite and known nomenclature pattern). Students also have their lecturers’ and top management officials’ email addresses. All mails sent to staffs by students are duly replied promptly. When I was in school; even though a number of students went to the VC’s office to discuss with him whenever they had an idea or concern, I hardly did such. I mostly communicated with whoever I wanted to via mail (pics attached).

Parley and Management meetings: Every semester in CU, compulsory sessions (for students and staff) are held where the students raise their concerns to management to be duly attended to. As far as you are speaking within the confines of the core values; you can even tell the VC what you don’t like about his leadership and how he can improve upon it! Again I doubt such exist in UI or OAU; where students hardly ever assemble in one sitting!

Core Values and Vision: Yes, CU has core values and visions and run tirelessly with them. Please what is/are the Core value(s) of UI? How about the vision of OAU? Maybe to be Oba Awon University. I hear the students say that a lot.

http://covenantuniversity.edu.ng/About-Us/Our-Core-Values#.WK3N0W8rK00

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/covenant-universitys-vision-102020-professor-charles-korede-ayo-vice-chancellor/

https://www.nairaland.com/1488315/oyedepo-covenant-university-among-worlds

Spirituality: This is one core value of Covenant University which stands as an advantage that cannot be over-emphasized. In fact, the main reason for the high degree of transparency is not even the computer checks put in place but because the lecturers fear God. Hence, there is neither favouritism nor partiality in treatment of anyone, no matter who you are or where you come from. No wonder a lot of people that simply went to get education came out of CU with transformation; spirit, soul and body.

When I was in sch, I had a good number of conversations with staff at different levesl (including the vice chancellor); raising concerns that were duly attended to in a surprisingly short time frame. See the pictures that follow for some of those.
how much are you paid for all this?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by lonelygem(m): 10:36am On Feb 23, 2017
heayernu56:
To those supporting federal universities, how many private universities have you visited... can the laboratories in the federal universities compare to those in afe babalola uni., convenant uni., e. t. c.

In federal universities, you struggle to learn rather than "learning in a conducive environment"(then tell me, why won't there be higher pass rate in the private unis.). Just take a visit to covenant university and you will see that, all that is left of most federal universities is their name.

recall: your CVs never forget to indicate "ability to work under pressure in pursuit of objectives with little or no supervision. "

abi you Don forget?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by SonOfEl(m): 10:38am On Feb 23, 2017
prettyboi1989:

Just hear urself, u tink uve scored some kind of cheap point? how delusional, childish and immature u could be. ask the last guy that mentioned me with insults, his username is ogrin, how i shut him up for good. jst type ogrin in the search bar. if u nt careful u might just end up like him.

Chai....e still dey pain am....lol
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by SonOfEl(m): 10:40am On Feb 23, 2017
lonelygem:

recall: your CVs never forget to indicate "ability to work under pressure in pursuit of objectives with little or no supervision. "

abi you Don forget?

Are you minding these juves? "Ajebo" mentality. Don't mind them
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by ilynem(m): 10:41am On Feb 23, 2017
khalhokage:

Are there any government run institutions in this country that is favourably comparable to their private sector counterparts? No.

And by how much are they subsidised? it's still not comparable to how much these private schools earn yearly, plus other infrastructural considerations, like the amount of students admitted per session.

Stupîd comparison is stupid.
Simple question. An institution run by government and one run by an individual, which is supposed to be better? In a sane environment?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by TheVictorious(m): 10:42am On Feb 23, 2017
TheBatman:
True CU has quality research presence in the Nigerian academic ecosystem. BUT lets look at it broadly.
1) Almost all CU researchers/lecturers were poached from Federal and State Universities.
2) It is safe to argue that this lectu started their research work years before they started working at CU, I.e when they were still working in those Government owned Uni's (especially those who own patents).
so its like saying I started my work at Uniben but left and finished it up in CU. Now CU takes the glory for the Research, and all praises go to CU.
3). OP kept mentioning the number of READs, your number of reads isn't actually relevant, its your number of citation that matter. Even if I mistakenly download one paper I later found useless, it would still be counted as a READ.
No doubt CU provides a good environment for the lecturers to thrive something our government can't provide (and that is why ASUU strike persists).
I actually have other criticism, so watch this space (no time it type it all).

One of the most sensible comments I've seen so far; thank you for the points you've raised!

Now to your points:

1. Yes I agree they were and they left for the better environment that will enhance their academic pursuit. If you think it's about money try to bring a professor (a nobel laurette for that matter) to our state unis (I don't want to mention names - so I don't attack any directly)
2. I intentionally did not mention patants that were gotten out of CU. (if you check up some of the lecturers I mentioned, they have patents in other countries like US e.g Dilip Kumar De... I can mention more if needed). And how about the publications of the CU graduate lecturers;Yes, and check the google scholar profiles I showed you, it is even younger lecturers that have their works highly visible and sighted. Majority of older lecturers (though not all) struggle with technology adoption
3. A work that is not read is not relevant. It is very relevant it is what will lead to citation or can you cite what you have not first read. They even give prizes for it!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 10:43am On Feb 23, 2017
SonOfEl:

Chai....e still dey pain am....lol
u should be more worried about the frustrations u experience in ur home than worrying about it senseless thing u doing on nairaland. u are still a kid anyways i dont expect u to engage in any form of reasoning and reflection
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by TheVictorious(m): 10:43am On Feb 23, 2017
Handsomecole:
Yes! I decided to talk about size any problem with that??

No at all, no problem with that. Don't forget to comapare the size of your school with that of CALTECH
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 10:45am On Feb 23, 2017
Kill me or spare my opinion, the op stated fact. Though my stand is not on how bad our bests are but how better we can make our "goods".
The stated fact about these lines of comparison can push us and our edu-sector managers to do better but my doubt still remains about a country and it's people who envies the good. The system is such that people in this country like to praise non-performance.
CU IS BETTER THAN THE FEDS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Shygirl1989(f): 10:46am On Feb 23, 2017
I wonder why cu students and alumni try very hard to prove they are worth anything..... I'm yet to see anyone do anything substantial and worth talking about and not prying on what someone else has already built.
Well they say
"empty vessels make the loudest noise"
Imagine the insult to University of Ibadan.....smh
Glorified secondary schools. How many multi national companies employ from private universities, they only do so when they have augmented their akara certificatescertificates with foreign masters degree certificates.
Please this OP should check his facts right before annoying us with this nonsense he posted,
#walksoutofthread

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by irepsuccess: 10:47am On Feb 23, 2017
zeongeon:
The problem with us in Nigeria is that we hate the truth coupled with the fact that we are envious.. The OP stated his claims with fact but we rather remain in the dark.

The people bashing OP if they have the means tomorrow won't even send there kids to the public universities they themselves went to. it's a known truth that the educational system in Nigeria is screwed.

The public universities are only living in there past glory. They can't be compared to CU presently. Go to our public universities and then you will see why the elites either send the kids abroad or to CU.

You know the truth.
that is not true. more than 80percent of CU lecturers are products of FG University and most them enrol their wards into public universities. if u say life is easier at CU, I concur but saying that they are better, I disagree. wait sef, CU isn't even the best in Nigeria according to all rankings and can you compare the number of foreign students in public universities to that of CU (that's if they have foreign students) if truly they are the better, foreigners wont opt-in to FG universities.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by khalhokage(m): 10:47am On Feb 23, 2017
ilynem:

Simple question. An institution run by government and one run by an individual, which is supposed to be better? In a sane environment?

Oga you're going off on a tangent, we're talking of the reality on ground, precious few countries in the world have properly functional government run institutions, and in the case of Nigeria's education system it has always been underfunded.

That's what we're dealing with, private universities have better funding to public universities so they're are expected to be better.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by givenchi1(m): 10:50am On Feb 23, 2017
baba,leave dis long Torie, a good product needs no much advert
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by bet9ja(m): 10:50am On Feb 23, 2017
I'm always proud of my school. Great UNISA
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by eph12(m): 10:50am On Feb 23, 2017
SonOfEl:

Stop cherry picking. No true alumnus from the public uni would stoop to measure dicks with you or your CU.

A child who dines with an adult DOES NOT make the child an adult.
This child and adult nonsense you people keep saying everywhere makes no sense. Children all over do grow up to surpass parents. I'm sure your parents pray same about you and you pray same about your kids ot future kids. So if you still disagree CU has a better system and is more likely to produce better graduates, then you'd agree with me that it's just a matter of time
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by TheVictorious(m): 10:52am On Feb 23, 2017
AZeD1:

Though i find your topic petty, this post up here proves the point of people who say public Uni's are better than private Uni's.

Coventry University is 12 years, its Alumni would definitely be younger than that of older universities. That you consider this a point shows the level of your intelligence.

As for the notable alumni's, can you tell me one university that doesn't have any notable alumni?
PS: You should also define what notable means to you, because i'm pretty sure no one outside of CU knows any of the guys listed here.

Mr. Intelligent I gave a time frame from which I drew comparison. You either carefully avoided it or just didn't see it.

At the bolded, I asked a rhetorical question and would still ask again: "what happened to the tens of thousand of graduates that the schools I cited have been turning out lately"

For notables, one of the links I gave was CNN. I can remember asking some of my folks about "Mali Music" and they said "who be that, when we dey talk about davido and olamide"! Every notable person have his sphere of Influence!!!

Like I said before, don't attack my person or even the school, bring forth points that will set aside my claims
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Basic123: 10:53am On Feb 23, 2017
zeongeon:

You know the truth.
what fact are you talking about self.so many people have prooved so far on this thread that those fact are not factual and inappropriately applied.notable among them is the fact that CU is ranked above U.I in the 2017 webometric ranking.mtcheew
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by sanchos9607(m): 10:53am On Feb 23, 2017
SonOfEl:

Digest it and learn.

Bravo. It's just like comparing Switzerland with 500 years of peace, and Italy with its many wars. One has produced the likes of Da Vinci and Picasso, while the other is attributed to the invention of the cuckoo clock.

Nigeria is challenging, but can we really compare the talent of Nigerian soccer to its South African counterparts? What about nollywood? Why isn't South Africa's film scene more vibrant than Nigeria's?

When you compare CU to OAU or UI, also compare admission numbers, and diversity. You can't cream off the top of the wealthiest students and turn around accusing the federal universities of poor quality. How many less privileged people does CU educate per session compared to its total admission numbers? What are CU fees compared to federal universities? After analyzing all that, come back and tell us results of how many CU graduates are entrepreneurs and business leaders as opposed to mere employees, in comparison to OAU or UI.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by TheVictorious(m): 10:56am On Feb 23, 2017
SonOfEl:

Lol....na so....and the unis you mentioned are not competing with foreign ones abi?....pls...ui and co have enjoyed high reputation and ranking before CU was conceived. They are still consolidating on those achievements to attain better accomplishments.

UI, OAU, UNN, UNILAG and ABU naterials are not your mate in academic excellence, entrepreneurship, innovation, and employability. Look for private unis to intimidate.

The rant has started again. Answer the questions I raised in the point of Academic excellence or provide verifiable stats to back your claim or simply keep quiet. Let me help you, the last option may actually be easier!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 10:57am On Feb 23, 2017
SonOfEl:

We can also say CU is no match for fed uni because of the timeline of their own achievements e.g between 1948 to 1968, or 1960 to 1980.in which as at the time the dream of a CU was not even conceived.

Funny isn't it? See eh, we don't judge by timeline, we judge by sustainability. As underfunded as UI, OAU, UNN, etc are, they still manage to emerge as reputable schools in African category. Wait until CU experiences its own storm and wilderness before you rightly adjudge, okay?
There shall be no storm in Jesus Name. CU is owned by Jesus himself and has no other place to be but on top.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by eph12(m): 10:57am On Feb 23, 2017
irepsuccess:
that is not true. more than 80percent of CU lecturers are products of FG University and most them enrol their wards into public universities. if u say life is easier at CU, I concur but saying that they are better, I disagree. wait sef, CU isn't even the best in Nigeria according to all rankings and can you compare the number of foreign students in public universities to that of CU (that's if they have foreign students) if truly they are the better, foreigners wont opt-in to FG universities.
Is there a place or site we can go to confirm the number of foreign students in a nigerian university?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 23, 2017
BUTCHCASSIDY:

He said inventions
That is the type of education we have in Nigeria where people dont know what an invention is
Not all of the products shown are patented but some there are certainly inventions from CU which was confirmed and certified by the NPO.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 11:00am On Feb 23, 2017
lonelygem:

are they not thesame people we have as friends and loved ones? we chat and interact with them on daily basis. so shameful majority of the so acclaimed CU graduates can't even express themselves correctly in the use of English. Their masters students often consult undergraduate students of federal universities to teach them complex analysis (300 level maths 328).

tell us the reality and base your finding within our common environment.

are you aware those schools are well influenced internationally? securing a visa to travel to any country is much easier for you than as a professor of a federal university. these are measures put in place by the founders to make the university much attractive and the substantial fees justifiable.

last last, in the area of employment, when I look at the number of SGPs and SATPs we had during my involvement in oil and gas sector, about 10% are actually from these conventional universities. The truth is that, we have smart and brilliant students in our federal universities who to some extent, pose a direct threat to chances of securing a job by graduates from schools like CU. By this They are left with no option than to capitalize on the institutional or parental influence.
You are attacking the eloquence of a class of people yet you start your sentence with a small letter. O ma se o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by ilynem(m): 11:01am On Feb 23, 2017
khalhokage:

Oga you're going off on a tangent, we're talking of the reality on ground, precious few countries in the world have properly functional government run institutions, and in the case of Nigeria's education system it has always been underfunded.

That's what we're dealing with, private universities have better funding to public universities so they're are expected to be better.
Are u serious now? Private universities have better funding than public universities in Nigeria? For real? This is the first time I am hearing this. If you tell me funds and misappropriated, that's a better argument. Please I will like you to back your statements with facts. Thanks.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 11:07am On Feb 23, 2017
LarryBeryl:

I can't be dumb enough to sight fallacy without addressing it immediately, you must have undergone a lot if stress to cook up your story. Are those lecturers in CU from Harvard? I bet majority are from those Federal Universities you condemn. Oh, that may indicate that those lecturers are not worthy to lecture in CU. Just calm down, CU will keep employing graduates of Federal Universities to lecture their students even tho they produce 100billion first class in a year.
That's not enough prove to disprove what op said. You need to come up with concrete prove not be sentimental
Re: 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) by Nobody: 11:07am On Feb 23, 2017
SonOfEl:

Digest it and learn.
Lol go tell that to the proprietors of Harvard, MIT or even Tsinghua university. What rubbish. Medicine does not have to be bitter to be effective.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Some Shameful Romantic Moves We Made In Nigerian Mixed Secondary Schools!!! / Tunji Epketi-Micheal UI's 500Level Rusticated Student Of / Nigerian Breaks Academic Record At University Of Manchester!!! Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.