Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,911 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? (4244 Views)

Why Hands Are Best Marriage Counsellors / Pls I Need Your Help With My Schooling / Schooling And Living On Campus: The Nigerian Experience... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by alpacaem(f): 1:50pm On Jan 18, 2007
Hi,
I'm getting Married in November and Very shortly after I hope to start my family.
My Husband - Nigerian - thinks that Nigerian Education will be best for our children & it will encourage them to want to come back to Nigeria.
I however think UK is best - As we have all the lastest Technology and Less students per teacher - therefore giving them more attention.
I love Nigeria, and We as a family will be visiting Owerri once or twice a year - so my children won't need to school there to love their country. They will be brought up knowing where their from and to be proud of their backgrounds - including speaking both Igbo & English.
If my children have a UK education they should be able to work pretty much anywhere, whilst with a Nigerian education you maybe more limited to countries you can work in without having to six futher exams.
Please tell me your views,

1 Like

Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by ehie007(m): 2:06pm On Jan 18, 2007
happy marriage life.
what i think is that u should allow ur kids scholl in nigeria up till Pry 5 then they can go to the uk for their secondary scholling so that they would be a bit sharp(naija sense).
they should have a taste of their mother land b4 jetting out.

grin grin grin grin grin cool cool shocked shocked
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by codename47(m): 2:21pm On Jan 18, 2007
I think i agree with the other guy. Let ur kids skool in Nigeria up to a certain level and then take them out. U get to eat your cake and have it.
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by Easyy(m): 3:03pm On Jan 18, 2007
my first son completed his primary education in Nigeria before coming here and the same will apply to my second child. I believe that's the best for my kids because of the cultural and social practices in the UK which I dont particularly subscribe to.
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by promise72(m): 11:41am On Jan 19, 2007
i will say let your kid be at least 18 b4 they step out ouf Nigeria. So the love of the country will be with them and they can always think of coming home to see you. If they come at very young age they may lose all memory of naija and to good friend there 2 connect to.hence no need 2 come back.

there are still good schools in naija and will be a bit cheaper for your wallet 2. for about 300-400pounds per month it should cover upkeep. while you can barely feed/pay 4 babysitter in the UK for that type of money.

Discipline is still key. Respect 4 elders yari yari yara
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by alpacaem(f): 3:37pm On Jan 19, 2007
Thanks for your replies.
As a woman I'm not sure how strong I'd be to let my babies go (for such a long time - 6 years!!!) to primary school in Nigeria.
However my partner is thinking of the children will school here for primary, Nigeria for secondary - then choose where to go for further education - University.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by Hotstepper(f): 4:27am On Jan 20, 2007
since u ppl will is loacte din da uk,let them do primary there and secondary is nigeria, my aunty will do the same to her kids, once should be leaving by next year, i was forunate to do primary in naija and sec. here and now uni and trust me, I love nigeria like sumthing else, infact, i just got back from there 2 dayz ago, was there for 6 weeks. well, in what eva the decision you people might take, the should taste Nigerian educational system, as for me, primary and sec. is far better than that of western world
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by Radiant(f): 4:52am On Jan 20, 2007
lol. . .you forgot to invite us for your wedding. sad

May be primary school in Nigeria but not secondary school. Don't ask me why. wink
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by English1(f): 6:50pm On Jan 20, 2007
Why even bother to have children if you don't want to have them living with you? How can you send a 5 year old baby away to live in another country? Why be a mother if it is too much effort to raise your own children and you just want to give the job to someone else? If you don't want to be a mother, then don't have babies.

I can understand a couple of years but only when they are older. I have Nigerian friends who sent their teenagers back to Nigeria to do their A Levels at age 16-18.
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by JustGood(m): 6:57pm On Jan 20, 2007
you want make uk pipul spoil the pikin life be4 she sabi wetin dey happen
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by JustGood(m): 6:58pm On Jan 20, 2007
na when de pikin don already kolo as teenager you want make dem go teach am betta things for life?
no wonder una pikins dem just dey run around with drugs
yeye
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by blacklion(m): 6:25pm On Mar 11, 2008
Hotstepper:

since u people will is loacte din da uk,let them do primary there and secondary is nigeria, my aunty will do the same to her kids, once should be leaving by next year, i was forunate to do primary in naija and sec. here and now uni and trust me, I love nigeria like something else, infact, i just got back from there 2 dayz ago, was there for 6 weeks. well, in what eva the decision you people might take, the should taste Nigerian educational system, as for me, primary and sec. is far better than that of western world

this is the best advice so far. my friends who did the same have never regretted it. teenage years are the most impressionable and formative. its pretty much or break for a kid in those years. a kid who went to secondary in naija learns naija culture and also learns that the world is not a nice place and no one owes him/her any favours. they get good sense knocked into them

also, quality private secondary schools in naija are far cheaper than independent schools in the uk; many offer uk curriculum along with nigerian or uk curriculum for a-levels
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by almondjoy(f): 2:17pm On Mar 12, 2008
Uk schooling of course.  They have schools actually located in safe buildings and the teachers are educated to teach and are paid.  So it is only left for the children to learn.  In Nigeria, it is the other way round! kiss

The level of educational opportunities in both countries show the status of the countries respectively in the world.  You do not need to look far to compare both and come up with a speedy conclusion.  World Bank does not utilize the concept of "African Values". . . .go figure! In about 50 years from now. . . . Nigeria will be like Jamaica. . . . no Nigerian language visible or audible.  Do not mortgage your children's features against a nationality of ignorance and failure to thrive! 

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, for example, would not be where she is today if she had just a "nigerian" certificate or degree. You can't do much with that. . . . .a pure Nigerian education at it's best can only afford you "mental slavery" at its best, Since it is based on regurgitative indoctrination, as opposed to using the brain to think.  Dr Iweala still wears all Nigerian outfits till today, you cannot say she is not a Nigerian or an African.  If you have a better opportunity for your children please take it. . . .we lost that chance and can never regain that! kiss  Let the children have a better chance to compete favorably with their foreign counterparts.  It is the only hope "Africa" as a whole has!

Goodluck! kiss
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by TheSly: 2:25pm On Mar 12, 2008
Uk schooling of course. They have schools actually located in safe buildings and the teachers are educated to teach and are paid. So it is only left for the children to learn. In Nigeria, it is the other way round! kiss

The level of educational opportunities in both countries show the status of the countries respectively in the world. You do not need to look far to compare both and come up with a speedy conclusion. World Bank does not utilize the concept of "African Values". . . .go figure!
Thumbs up. . . . . . .always makes sense to me. . .
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by almondjoy(f): 2:31pm On Mar 12, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmmm! Thank you! cheesy
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by blacklion(m): 5:02pm On Mar 12, 2008
AJ,

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala did her primary and secondary school in Nigeria and went to Harvard and MIT for college and grad school.

We are talking here about primary and secondary schools and not college. I see so many naija kids born and raised in naija who completed sec school in naija and then went on to win top laurels in colleges and unviersities all over the world including Ivy League colleges.

To each his own. For me, my kids must do secondary in naija and then a-levels/university abroad.
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by wendymanda: 5:14pm On Mar 12, 2008
we had several Chinese classmates who couldn't say a correct sentence in English. Somehow, they managed to win top honours

The reason is because the best of the best of the chinese come here and they do mainly the sciences and business here. These math and science based study they do are things they have learned for so long in China that when they come here they can apply what they learned. I on the other hand went to a public school in America where we were not deemed important so we learned basically nothing. So now I am struggling life out in college to do the sciences which I like but did not have any good training prior to now. My point is if Nigeria schooling heck if even going to China will help then screw primary and secondary in America if it will be public. Private academies here are good I think but expensive as hell
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by bollingjoe(m): 6:45pm On Mar 12, 2008
i tink dat ur child should be 18yrs or above so dat he/she can be street smart as a nigerian and also know wat he/she wants in life .infact he/she would be able to hold his/her own anywhere. i recommend dat u look 4 a good sch and send them there and at least u enjoy the best of both worlds if u know wat i mean
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by Blatant: 3:53pm On Mar 13, 2008
Nobody can ever convince me to allow my kids do all their early academics in UK. A child who has taken in Nigeria's system early in life will excel when they get to the UK because they will have learnt to work hard academically and they are likely to get more from classes as they are less likely to be involved in excessive truancy which dominates UK students now.

Most of my friends have the same views and their kids will only come back after secondary education in Nigeria.
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by cuteness01: 9:25pm On Mar 13, 2008
i'll advise that u should let them have their secondary education in nigeria,and believe me,if they go to college in another country, the naija educational background is enough to make them outstanding among their colleagues
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by skfa1: 9:53pm On Mar 13, 2008
I think most support that your child should be 18 years before jetting out of the country.I think that is really good.This is because your child will have discipline,love Nigeria as there motherland,sharp and smart(always know say naija guy no dey carry last),above all when they grow up they will finally come back home to you to take care of you.I think that time you will be old and at least your children will be there to love you.

If the above is not done like this, i`m sorry for u o,when you are old then you wont find any of your children,they will all be in abroad and u will be on your own(OYO).Except if you don't want to come to your country then you can stay there forever with your children(thats up to you).

I`m 19 when i left Nigeria after my secondary school and i totally have in mind that i will be back home someday finally to take care of parents.
The problem with this internation of a thing is that your child can say mummy shut up and f**k off to you at any time.

The bottom line is that give them Nigerian background.This is really good.
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Mar 13, 2008
@post
UK. . .some of the teachers in naija probably bribed their way to get their degrees. meaning they have no forms of education so they probably don't have knowledge to educate another. . .i'll probably get my education in UK. . .you don't have to pay, i mean, you don't have to worry abt getting thrown out of school just because you dnt have the money.
the books are free (once you get to college after 12th grade) ofcourse you'll start paying for tuition and books)

after primary school, naija schools are very dangerous. cultist, gunshots, protest, if not drug dealers, there'll be BODY dealers embarassed
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by lucabrasi(m): 12:58am On Mar 15, 2008
i m an undergrad in the uk tho an international student and i can tell you that nigeria is the best option for you gys for secondary school,do the primary schl in the uk and then secondary in a good private schl in nigeria(there r several excellent ones)then back in the uk for university, have you seen the moral decay in sec schools in the uk?
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by almondjoy(f): 10:17am On Mar 15, 2008
blacklion:

AJ,

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala did her primary and secondary school in Nigeria and went to Harvard and MIT for college and grad school.

We are talking here about primary and secondary schools and not college. I see so many naija kids born and raised in naija who completed sec school in naija and then went on to win top laurels in colleges and unviersities all over the world including Ivy League colleges.
To each his own. For me, my kids must do secondary in naija and then a-levels/university abroad.

True, but you cannot compare the educational standards of then to now. Things have gotten worse! Like you said, to each his or her own. kiss
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by ijebubabe(f): 1:46pm On Mar 15, 2008
personally, when i get married and i have my kids, i would rather prefer my kids have their primary school education here, go back home to nigeria for high school, and then back to England for their university education.
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by skfa1: 5:58pm On Mar 15, 2008
ijebubabe:

personally, when i get married and i have my kids, i would rather prefer my kids have their primary school education here, go back home to nigeria for high school, and then back to England for their university education.

You talk true jare, thumbs up.

Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by blacklion(m): 5:41pm On Mar 16, 2008
almondjoy:

True, but you cannot compare the educational standards of then to now. Things have gotten worse! Like you said, to each his or her own. kiss

Yes, the FGCs and other top schools of those days have declined but there are now loads of world class private secondary schools in Nigeria with first class IT, lab, workshop and boarding facilities. Many offer UK GCSE and A-level courses at Upper 6 level and some even have foundation programme partnerships with UK universities. U do your A-Levels at the schools and are guaranteed admission to the UK partner university.
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by almondjoy(f): 9:49pm On Mar 17, 2008
blacklion:

Yes, the FGCs and other top schools of those days have declined but there are now loads of world class private secondary schools in Nigeria with first class IT, lab, workshop and boarding facilities. Many offer UK GCSE and A-level courses at Upper 6 level and some even have foundation programme partnerships with UK universities. You do your A-Levels at the schools and are guaranteed admission to the UK partner university.

And how many families can afford those? I guess we all have to relocate to Abuja and Lagos or some remote areas in Nigeria to get a sound education. If you cannot guarantee affordable quality education to most of the citizens in Nigeria. . .I think the whole country will be set up to fail.  If you have to steal to get your children educated. . . undecided

As you can see the "illiteracy" rate in Nigeria is not improving.  Using GSMs with text messaging functions in some kind of short hand vernacular or creole is not "education"!

Quality education in Nigeria is not accessible to all and that is a big problem.
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by pahtahkee: 9:57pm On Mar 17, 2008
It will be sheer wickedness on my part if I allow my children to have their education in Nigeria. Given what I have tasted and seen here, my children must not repeat my history.

Rather, they will write history.

I have been experiencing strikes by teachers in Nigeria right from my primary school days. embarassed Secondary school was worse, University was the worst.

@ Topic,
If you have experienced the western education, you won't even think of your children settling for Nigerian education at the moment.

Every man to his tent.
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by 4Him(m): 10:00pm On Mar 17, 2008
Put your kids in Nigerian private schools in the primary and secondary years . . . they can go back to whichever country for their college degrees. I think Nigeria has a lot more to offer the growing child than these western nations.

the most important thing is that they learn the culture, i wouldnt want a son who grows up to disrespect his mother because "everyone else does it".
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by blacklion(m): 2:48am On Mar 18, 2008
pahtahkee:

It will be sheer wickedness on my part if I allow my children to have their education in Nigeria. Given what I have tasted and seen here, my children must not repeat my history.

Rather, they will write history.

I have been experiencing strikes by teachers in Nigeria right from my primary school days. embarassed Secondary school was worse, University was the worst.

@ Topic,
If you have experienced the western education, you won't even think of your children settling for Nigerian education at the moment.

Every man to his tent.

pls distinguish between private schools/university and the public ones where what you wrote up there applies
Re: Which Schools Are Best - Nigerian Schooling Or Uk Schooling ? by almondjoy(f): 3:57am On Mar 18, 2008
Yeah right! Like everyone can afford "Private Schools"?

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Reasons Women Prefer Male Hairdressers To Female Hairdressers / My Aunty's Husband Wants To Marry Me, Should I Tell My Aunt? / Single Parenthood - Trendy Or Trashy ?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.