Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,218 members, 7,825,818 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 - Travel (200) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 (882296 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mcobex: 9:56pm On May 08, 2017
chigrad:
Just got this from CiC. Would need professional advice as I intend to still reapply.
can't see what u got from cic
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by chigrad: 10:05pm On May 08, 2017
Got this from CIC. Would need professional advice as I intend to reapply. Thanks

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by yamen21(m): 10:14pm On May 08, 2017
chigrad:
Got this from CIC. Would need professional advice as I intend to reapply. Thanks

Wats your first degree and the current program u re going for?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mcobex: 10:15pm On May 08, 2017
chigrad:
sorry for the delay, pls what was ur intended program and previous program? try to share ur profile so gurus in the house can brief u on how to tackle the problem. But I feel maybe ur previous program isn't in line with ur previous. sharing ur profile will enable more people in the house to advise accordingly
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by bosbebe: 10:16pm On May 08, 2017
@austinpee.

Thanks for your response. it just scary applying with son fear of delay. I will consider it. however at the same time not easy leaving kids behind. At least thy should understand emotional reasons to have at least one with me.

Do I need to state how he will be taken care of while am in school in my SOP. he is 8years.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Nobody: 10:28pm On May 08, 2017
bosbebe:
@austinpee.

Thanks for your response. it just scary applying with son fear of delay. I will consider it. however at the same time not easy leaving kids behind. At least thy should understand emotional reasons to have at least one with me.

Do I need to state how he will be taken care of while am in school in my SOP. he is 8years.

I am not an expert here but I think you should apply alone first and then apply for him later.
You dont have to explain why he is now going with you. I even heard he can go on visitors visa
and still go to school - a friend did that. Thats my 2 kobo but pls take with a pinch of salt.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by chigrad: 10:32pm On May 08, 2017
Documents submitted re:
Bsc cert: Chemistry
Employment letter ( 3 years work experience as a Business Development analyst)
Submitted pay-slips, land documents, very strong statement of account.
I applied for Post baccalaureate Diploma in Business Administration which is a two year program.i made payment for 1st semester. Used my spouse and landed documents as home ties.
mcobex:
sorry for the delay, pls what was ur intended program and previous program? try to share ur profile so gurus in the house can brief u on how to tackle the problem. But I feel maybe ur previous program isn't in line with ur previous. sharing ur profile will enable more people in the house to advise accordingly
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by chigrad: 10:35pm On May 08, 2017
First degree is BSc in Chemistry
Program applied for is Post Baccalaureate Diploma in business Administration
Although 3 years work experience as a Business Development analyst
yamen21:

Wats your first degree and the current program u re going for?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by 2aify2017: 10:42pm On May 08, 2017
Hi everyone. My brother gain admission to study international business management but he intends switching to Nursing when he gets his TRV. His first degree is Biz Management. Please my question is can it be possible.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by yamen21(m): 10:59pm On May 08, 2017
chigrad:
First degree is BSc in Chemistry
Program applied for is Post Baccalaureate Diploma in business Administration
Although 3 years work experience as a Business Development analyst

I believe the VO checked the connection btw d two courses and the years of experience was probably not enough
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by bosbebe: 10:59pm On May 08, 2017
I am not an expert here but I think you should apply alone first and then apply for him later.
You dont have to explain why he is now going with you. I even heard he can go on visitors visa
and still go to school - a friend did that. Thats my 2 kobo but pls take with a pinch of salt.

Emeify kindly shed more light on this process
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by bosbebe: 11:05pm On May 08, 2017
pls kindly expand on this
emeify:

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Nobody: 11:06pm On May 08, 2017
please can you give a guide on how to write a good SOP for masters by course work admission?your response will be appreciated. Thanks.
LightandDarkness:
I recently gained admission to a thesis based Msc program in Canada and wanted to share some tips in getting a supervisor.

1. Be patient, the process takes time and a lot of e-mails.

2. Make sure you tailor each e-mail specifically to the supervisor you are interested in. Check their profile, read their research interests, check their current projects, and if possible glance at one or two of their recent publications. Sometimes on the profiles of supervisors their number of graduate students are mentioned, if they have a lot its unlikely they would have space for you, this isn't always true but it can save you time when you are prioritizing who to e-mail.

3. Include your CV and transcript with each e-mail.

4. Please please make sure your e-mail is well written and professional, use clear English as well as good punctuation and spelling. Note you are from Nigeria in Africa (no offence to us) but sometimes these people might have the unfair assumption that because of where you are from your english might be terrible, no one wants to work with someone they cannot communicate with. Use appropriate titles, do not call a Professor a Doctor, some supervisors will not care, some do care very much.

5. Note that these people are busy, if your e-mail is not replied immediately just be patient, wait for about 3-7 days and forward the initial e-mail with a BRIEF re-introduction. "Dear Dr/ Professor X. My name is Bleep, I am a potential applicant to program x. I sent you an email x-days ago regarding the potential of you being my supervisor for x program. I decided to re-send this e-mail as I was not sure you had seen it. Kind regards, X". If there is no reply it is safe to assume they might not be accepting students, however you can give it another 7 days and send another e-mail, if there is still no reply move on.

6. Your CV is an important part of your application. I say application because you are basically applying to work with the supervisor, spend time crafting a straight to the point CV. A good CV (for a fresh graduate anyway) should be no longer than 2 pages, if you have been working it is understandable that it might be longer. Note again though that these people do not have time so try to be concise. Make your CV appealing to the eye. Also avoid including your age, sex, religion, marital status or all of that, these are simply unnecessary and might bias the supervisor against you for example with your personal religious affiliation.

7. Small tip: I used send my e-mails to supervisors at around 8:30-10AM at wherever they were located, I did this because these are the times an average working person would get into the office and read their mail to plan for the day. No evidence this helps anything but sha..

Now to the formats.

Format 1:
I really prefer this format because its simple and straight to the point, you state why you are e-mailing and you direct them to your CV and transcripts for further information. Saves both them and you precious time.

Dear Dr/Prof X,

My name is X and I am a candidate for the MSc Bleep program at the University of X to begin in Fall/Winter/Summer 201x. The purpose of this e-mail is to enquire about the availability of masters graduate student positions in your lab.

I am interested in the research you are conducting on (what you are interested in). The basis of my interest in your research is a scientific interest in (reasons why you are interested). I have attached my CV and transcripts for your consideration. Thank you for taking the time read my e-mail.

Kind regards,
Your name.

Format 2:

I used this at the beginning when I thought I would be getting quick responses and I thought had all the time in the world. While this format is more robust and indeed you give the supervisor a good picture of your self as an applicant, I do think it is a bit lengthy and might be a turnoff for supervisors, however I have received positive responses with this format. Some Supervisors might however ask you to send something like this as a "career plan".

Dear Dr/Prof X,

My name is X and I am interested in applying for the (your program) at the University of X for a Fall 201x start. The purpose of this e-mail is to enquire about the possibility of you acting as my faculty supervisor during the course of the (your program).

To briefly describe my profile, I am a (your degree) graduate from (your University) with a passion for research (if you are going or a thesis based program you will be doing research). I am interested in the research you are conducting on[b] (summarize their interests)[/b] which motivated me to contact you regarding the possibility of you being my supervisor for (your program).

Here I discuss the knowledge and research experience I have relevant to their own research

I possess knowledge of (knowledge relevant to their research) which I gained through modules on these topics during the course of my (what you studied) degree. I have also had experience of geology/biology/chemistry/finance etc research; (How you gained this experience). I have described this/these experiences/projects (as appropriate please) in my attached curriculum vitae. Through these experiences I have gained (briefly describe what you gained from these experiences- laboratory techniques, analytical methods, project management etc)

I have attached my CV for your consideration which describes my research experience and research competencies. I have also attached my university transcripts which show the courses I studied during my (what you studied) degree. My transcripts are graded using the Nigerian grading system which differs from the Canadian system however I have confirmed my overall grade of Second Class, Upper Division is sufficient for entry to the (your program of interest).

I believe I can gain valuable knowledge and experience under your supervision but also use the knowledge and research experience I have previously gained in order to contribute positively to your research. I am very happy to further discuss my grades, research experience, and interests and I look forward to your reply at your convenience.

Kind regards,
Your name.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mcobex: 11:09pm On May 08, 2017
chigrad:
Documents submitted re:
I applied for Post baccalaureate Diploma in Business Administration which is a two year program.i made payment for 1st semester. Used my spouse and landed documents as home ties.
I don't know why the vo thinks 3 years as a business development analyst isn't enough to show progression to your intended program. Pls gurus in the house can share more light on this
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 08, 2017
omokay80:
please can you give a guide on how to write a good SOP for masters by course work admission?your response will be appreciated. Thanks.

SOP for admission like for the university or for visa application?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Nobody: 11:24pm On May 08, 2017
for admission and for visa application. I will appreciate a step by step point pls. thanks.
LightandDarkness:

SOP for admission like for the university or for visa application?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Nobody: 11:40pm On May 08, 2017
omokay80:
for admission and for visa application. I will appreciate a step by step point pls. thanks.

There are already good sop tips and samples for visa available on nairaland which I used to write my own

https://www.nairaland.com/3024188/travelling-canada-part-10/254#47434704

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1gevqbkct9l0ciw/AAD400Wcj0_iyWelUk6AZe2ma?dl=0

While for admission there are already many samples online just Google "Statement of intent graduate school" or "statement of purpose graduate school" or "personal statement graduate school". After reading a lot of these samples you should already be getting a picture of the statement that will fit you in your mind. My own statement was very specific to me and the course so unlikely to be or general use.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by bobman(m): 11:44pm On May 08, 2017
Ope100:
It will be asked for when you are done with the process and about to make the online payment. Your welcome.
Bro can I send you a pm..
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by nelly28: 11:49pm On May 08, 2017
[/quote]
chigrad:
Documents submitted re:
mcobex:
I don't know why the vo thinks 3 years as a business development analyst isn't enough to show progression to your intended program. Pls gurus in the house can share more light on this

Your experience is kul, but why going for post - baccalaureate diploma, "dis d issue", ur current intended degree is equivalent to ur previous degree.. go for a PGD or MASTERS wit an SOP u will b fine. U can still order u GCMS file, if dere is anytin d VO saw an draft down dat wasn't tip on ur delay slip.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Judgepelumi(m): 11:54pm On May 08, 2017
chigrad:
Documents submitted re:
Did u write a good sop?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Judgepelumi(m): 11:55pm On May 08, 2017
nelly28:
Documents submitted re:

Your experience is kul, but why going for post - baccalaureate diploma, "dis d issue", ur current intended degree is equivalent to ur previous degree.. go for a PGD or MASTERS wit an SOP u will b fine. U can still order u GCMS file, if dere is anytin d VO saw an draft down dat wasn't tip on ur delay slip.
You have spoken well sir

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by thesoj: 12:00am On May 09, 2017
Congrats on your MBA admission @bosbebe.

You can apply with your son if you prefer.
A number of people on this thread have done so in the past.
Look up @Team12. @Khalesi also did the same. There were a few others too but I forget their monikers.

Include in your SOP why you want to take your son (I presume he's the youngest)... it's ok to give sentimental reasons, VOs are humans too. Also, it may help if you demonstrate to the VO how you'd take care of your son while you are a student (e.g. show that you've researched daycares in the area & how much they cost, etc). VOs like logical and unambiguous applicants. PS: I'm not a VO. grin

bosbebe:
good day,

Getting documentation ready for submission latest Friday, My hubby paid 10k USD into my dom acct for living expenses and paid a year tuition (21,000 CAD) total tuition is $38,000 CAD for MBA(dual) andhis corporate acount closing balance is 25m. my final questions are;

1. should I apply with my son and leave my two daugthers or with non of them (they all have visiting expiring in November 2017)
2. can I use my birth certificate issued at birth by my church or I need to get from the NPC
3. My hubby is using his business bank statement and a reference letter from bank stating he is sole signatory, is it compulsory to include a company tax returns
4. Do I have to include his property documents as well?

Will appreciate your response
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Austinpee4: 12:01am On May 09, 2017
bosbebe:
@austinpee.

Nobody will delay you just because you are going with your son. Actually, CIC encourages family being together as long as you have sufficient means,hometies and have proven to officers that you and your boy will return home after studies.

You son already is of school age and can go to school in canada without a need for a study permit since he is accompanying you. Your husband and other kids are already good hometies. All you need to do is state in your SOP how you intend to make sure him being with you will not affect your study.

You can talk about a few schools you are already making arragements for him to study in the city you will also be studying. The main thing is that you have given them assurances that proper arrangements have/will be made for him as an accompanying minor without distraction to your studies. Once you are able to relate these to them, his visa will be ready once yours is!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by thesoj: 12:05am On May 09, 2017
@chigrad, I want to echo this question below. Changing to PGD or Masters (a post-baccalaureate diploma is same as a PGD anyways) won't necessarily solve your problem. You need to convince the VO why exactly you went from BSc in chemistry to working as a Biz Dev Analyst to wanting to do a Post Bacc Diploma in Business Administration. Your SOP has to be clear and convincing.
Judgepelumi:

Did u write a good sop?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by thesoj: 12:09am On May 09, 2017
Hello @Austinpee4! Great job helping people on the thread.
I wish your visa application the best outcome.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Austinpee4: 12:15am On May 09, 2017
thesoj:
Hello @Austinpee4! Great job helping people on the thread.
I wish your visa application the best outcome.
Boss! Many thanks! Been a long while! You've been missing in Action! Good to know you are still very much around.

Actually, my study permit has long been approved. Leaving for fall term though.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by thesoj: 12:18am On May 09, 2017
Congrats on the TRV! Yes o I've been MIA; been crazily busy with so many things, but it's been fantastic to see people like you provide high quality information on the thread. Will send you a PM to chat more...

Austinpee4:
Boss! Many thanks! Been a long while! You've been missing in Action! Good to know you are still very much around.
Actually, my study permit has long been approved. Leaving for fall term though.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Austinpee4: 12:29am On May 09, 2017
thesoj:
Congrats on the TRV! Yes o I've been MIA; been crazily busy with so many things, but it's been fantastic to see people like you provide high quality information on the thread. Will send you a PM to chat more...

Thanks again! I'm gladdened that in a little way together with other wonderful guys on here are able to provide help to our bro and sis in their quest and desire of bettering their lives.

All the best in your doings!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by nelly28: 12:41am On May 09, 2017
thesoj:
@chigrad, I want to echo this question below. Changing to PGD or Masters (a post-baccalaureate diploma is same as a PGD anyways) won't necessarily solve your problem. You need to convince the VO why exactly you went from BSc in chemistry to working as a Biz Dev Analyst to wanting to do a Post Bacc Diploma in Business Administration. Your SOP has to be clear and convincing.

Smiling mood activated. Baba dats not TRUE: postgraduate diploma is an academic qualification rate higher den a bachelor's degree and why Post Bacc Diploma is an equivalent academic qualification to Bsc..let him order is GCMS file and u will see same view I bet on dat.

Three years experience is perfect writing an SOP on dis post bacc dip is still not going to fly, no matter d reason, dis would 've fly few years back. CIC system of approval has changed. Is ida A or B not tin like A or C.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Sarang(f): 12:49am On May 09, 2017
Sarang:
[/b] Please can someone suggest to me 2year Colleges in Canada that grades Nigerian Students WAEC result with 60 percent? [b]

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by SPOILT9JAOLOSHO(m): 1:43am On May 09, 2017
Still waiting for the list of TRV hopefuls, its been scarce.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Nobody: 2:43am On May 09, 2017
thanks.
LightandDarkness:

There are already good sop tips and samples for visa available on nairaland which I used to write my own

https://www.nairaland.com/3024188/travelling-canada-part-10/254#47434704

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1gevqbkct9l0ciw/AAD400Wcj0_iyWelUk6AZe2ma?dl=0

While for admission there are already many samples online just Google "Statement of intent graduate school" or "statement of purpose graduate school" or "personal statement graduate school". After reading a lot of these samples you should already be getting a picture of the statement that will fit you in your mind. My own statement was very specific to me and the course so unlikely to be or general use.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) ... (505)

German Embassy And Visa / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.