Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,730 members, 7,820,531 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 (66249 Views)

Top 10 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria / Top Ten Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria By HigherEd / Ten Most Expensive Secondary Schools In Nigeria 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Glokit(m): 10:54pm On Feb 25, 2017
shotin:
Loool, Afe Babalola University is a non-profit private university, and the school charges over a million naira... Most of these universities are build with the members tithes and offering, and most of d members cannot even afford to send their children there becos of d exorbitant school fees ... Nigeria Pastors, feeding on the gullible nigerians since 18 AD... Mtcheewwww

Stop talking about church universities having huge school fee.... Do u know how much a Professor earn per month... Even ordinary Doctor (PhD).... D student pay once.... But workers are paid monthly.... Den they build lecture theaters, labs and co.... And you want them to be collecting penny...and give the student good Education. Taaa..... Tithe or no tithe... D fee will be huge.... All those FG universities..do u know how much FG do give for allocation apart from internally generated revenues..... Nobody is talking about the employment the church universities are generating....
OGA GET RICH AND SEND YO CHILDREN TO PRIVATE UNIVERSITY....

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by ihedioramma: 10:56pm On Feb 25, 2017
badmrkt:
My own be say after paying all these big big amount. We go still travel go china go buy toothpaste . Even salt-water solution some of dem no fit mix!!!
The money is it for years or what?
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by infolekan(m): 10:59pm On Feb 25, 2017
Whoever put up that list must be joking or has no idea of the current school fees.
Medicine in ABUAD is presently 2.6 million naira.
The complaint about these schools being expensive shouldn't even come up. Different strokes for different folks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 25, 2017
bizme:

Finally here is someone that understands perfectly what is going on.
@The bold. I was involved in students recruitment for Medicine and Health Sciences at this particular university, traveling around the country for the open days. Students with no more than 200 in UTME are routinely given admission into Medicine and Surgery, even those below 190, once you are well connected. In fact, Obasanjo had once pushed for the admission of student who never offered Chemistry into Medicine and Surgery. And the student was almost admitted if reason had not eventually prevailed.

With 270 in UTME you are not likely to get a spot in Medicine and Surgery in schools like OAU, UI, UNILAG, etc.... Compare the gap in implied intelligence quotient... a school that admits 200 and below for Medicine and the ones that take nothing below 280, and some still believe you can compare the quality of products for the two sets of school! Some of you guys amaze me the way you think.

You simply cannot compare the products. Plus, most students in private universities have no motivation to study. They are in school because daddy and mummy refused to send them abroad, and they continue sulking all day long. Class attendance isn't their thing, while they love to party, do drugs and have sex in gutters and in open fields. ... You can only understand what I'm saying if you have worked or schooled in these institutions.

In summary, big money does not buy you quality education, it only gives your folks and you something to gloat about. At the end of the day, most of the products are so ill-trained that they have little to offer to national development.

I didn't say this out of spite, but as honestly as I have observed things. And yes, I have had running battles trying to encourage the management of the school to prioritize merit and discipline instead of celebrating insignificant and spurious achievements like a student graduating with CGPA 5.0 in Geology. Geology, 5.0??! Can you believe that?
First of all your assessment is biased because you are trying to tell me that Connections aren't used in Public unis(even I ur so called Unilag) to get admissions. Secondly u r comparing all private unis to the top 3 best public universities which Is unreasonable. Pls let us include Ambrose Ali, Niger delta uni, Olabisi Onabanjo in this discussion rather than using the value of 3 public universities alone as a point of comparism.
Secondly as regard Private universities Med schools, Abuad is unveiling the biggest Teaching Hospital in Nigeria with 400 beds designed after Chelsea hospital UK. Covenant university is already building its own which may surpass Abuad. The best private universities in Nigeria didn't start medicine at inception, they took their time to gain resources and knowledge before venturing into Healthcare.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by TellMeTheTruth(m): 11:02pm On Feb 25, 2017
ayatt:
most of them are no match to our public universities.
name them

unilag
uni ilorin
UI
OAU
ABU

the list is endless!!

Stop deceiving yourself!

2 Likes

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by iretex1(m): 11:04pm On Feb 25, 2017
Freewoman:
MY WORRIES REMAIN THAT THEY WERE OWN AND MANAGED BY CHURCHES, THEY SUPPOSED TO BE ALMOST FREE BUT NOT, YOU SEE WHY NIGERIAN GOVT WANT THEM TO PAY TAXES AND SOME IDIOTS ARE SHOUTING THEIR HEADS OUT, WHAT A PITY FOR THOSE THAT PAYS TITHS IN THOSE TYPE OF CHURCHES ............... WHAT A PITY,

See why you should worry not!

Why Church Universities Are Expensive by Statsocial :
1:02pm On Feb 11
By Ife Olaleye
There has been so much buzz about Church universities being expensive in Nigeria and I would like to address some of this controversies mostly using Covenant University as a case study.
Tithes/Offerings are used to build Church Universities? This seems to be a widely asserted theory. This is partly not true because most Churches don’t exactly use Tithes/Offerings for building church universities but create special donations for that purpose. Usually, the initial university capital projects are funded with these donations. We have to remember that the core mandate of any church isn’t not to create universities but to preach the gospel of Jesus and help the poor and that is done with tithes/offering to establish outreaches, pay pastoral salaries, build new churches etc.
Donations can’t sustain recurrent expenditure: while ‘excited’ members would usually agree to pay donations for the initial financial responsibility of the universities. No church would be able to get its church members to continually pay for its recurrent expenditure. In fact if any of these church schools were to try and choose continual donations as an alternative to ‘High’ tuition fees the next thing you would see are private university lecturers going on strike.
Are Church universities profitable? I do not believe any sane investor or business man would venture into the tertiary education sector with the aim of making profit. There is a reason why you wouldn’t find Otedola or Dangote investing in education. If you do your research properly you would find that till today Covenant university hasn’t made any profit for its proprietors. Let us examine the revenue vs expenditure of Covenant university for example. The Covenant university tuition(undergraduate) ranges between 600,000-800,000 depending on level/program but I would base it on 700k. There are about 7,000 students on campus at a given time so I multiply 700,000 by 7,000=4.9 billion. So the university’s revenue from tuition fees is about 4.9 billion.
When considering expenditure I would like to keep the value projections conservative. I believe Covenant University’s wage bill to be around 500 million/month but I would calculate using 400 million since that is the average wage bill for a Nigerian university. So 400 million x 12 months= 4.8 billion. I currently don’t know how much CU pays to get electricity but reports had it that in 2012 the university spent 700 million naira on electricity. I would deliberately exclude expenditures like research grant, conference support, Infrastructure, field trips, medical services, internet provision e.t.c because I do not have real data to conclude how much they gulp yearly. So using just wage bill+Electricity, the university has spent 5.5 billion when the tuition fee is about 4.8 billion. This proves the former NUC president, Peter Okebukola right when he said that ‘’Church universities were being too dependent on the Church’’. Also, the VC of Crawford did buttress the fact that the proprietor base still donates 500 million yearly to Crawford as subsidy. If these subsidies weren’t in place Church universities would have been more expensive that secular ones.
Assumed wealth of the Church: there is a saying in Yoruba land that ‘’the chicken sweats but the feathers won’t let you know’’. Would you believe that Oyedepo nearly missed his own deadline for the establishment of the first two halls of residence in Covenant University? because donations weren’t coming forth, until God miraculously provided.
‘Expensive’ tuition isn’t unique to Pentecostal Churches : whilst many choose to assault Pa. Adeboye and Bishop Oyedepo for charging high tuition fees. It is important to note that even Orthodox churches which are known not to be ‘’prosperity conscious’’ charge within the same bracket e.g Bowen(Baptist), ECWA(Bingham), Godfrey Okoye(Catholic), Adventist(Babcock), JABU(CAC), Methodist(Wesley) e.t.c
Expensive tuition isn’t unique to Church universities alone; Church universities are ranked to be generally good with Covenant University averagely in top three on the two out of four most reputable rankings in the world-Webometrics and Times higher education. However Islamic schools that are not in the top 50 universities in Nigeria but also charge about half a million(e.g Crescent) which is about the same thing CU charges.
The underlining purpose for creating Church schools ; This is very important, the creation of church schools isn’t to actually teach physics and chemistry, but to create a spiritual revolution. Take that spiritual revolution away from CU, then it is by no means different from Afebabalola university. Therefore, if you are a committed member of your church you are already a member of that movement. For instance I am not a living faith member, but by attending CU I have joined myself to the spiritual movement of the church.

https://www.nairaland.com/3623074/why-church-universities-expensive

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Glokit(m): 11:08pm On Feb 25, 2017
ABUAD pays well over 2.5m for medicine..... And people are only talking about Church-owned uni. People are talking about Private not giving standard edu compared to Public... All na wash.... Is it d public university where useless lecturers will come to the class after cramming and teach rubbish..... I remember wen in 200l doing CSC 201 (computer science)... D lecture crammed how to write program to the class... As e was writing d tin... I missed one step... Na so all e don cram scatter...e used d rest as assignment....
B it public or private... Educational system in d country is poor...

3 Likes

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by ayatt(m): 11:09pm On Feb 25, 2017
TellMeTheTruth:

Stop deceiving yourself!
shut up
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:10pm On Feb 25, 2017
bizme:

Ahahahahahahah, RG score...really!?
You're such a clown.
If you know how those scores were obtained, you would cover your mouth in shame for having spoken out of turn like an slowpoke that you are. Private universities (that I will not mention here right now) actually made it a law for every staff to visit the institution websites and click a number of times per day just to have deceitfully inflated traffic and reads. In fact one such university was dishing out up to half a million naira to the staff with the highest number of visit to institution's website. Schools like OAU and UI, Unilag, Unilorin are not taken up with such deceit.
That, is for a fact. And I don't need to say more right now.
Lol let me school you well, so If those Reads where from the school how come Webometric Transparency indicator(Citations) for 2017 in webometric rankings indicate that the 2nd and 3rd most cited Papers in Nigeria was from ABUAD and CU while d excellence indicator(Top 10% Citations in 26 discipline) show that CU had one of the Highest in Nigeria? Lol or are u going to tell me that the School also mandated everybody in d school to cite the papers grin
So if you have no way of presenting ur argument without resorting to insult you can shut your remaining opinion back into that sewage you call a throat.
O my! May Nigerians be saved from ignorance!
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:13pm On Feb 25, 2017
Derawiz:
I hope the certificates are made of golden plate with a sure oil and gas job after graduation, if I not I would save my money, enroll my ward in a reputable federal uni and open a multi millionaire business for my child after graduation
You just dey talk...If i get money my children go go the babcocks and the convenants and al hikmahs of this world, theres no luxury in poverty.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 25, 2017
Statsocial:

First of all your assessment is biased because you are trying to tell me that Connections aren't used in Public unis(even I ur so called Unilag) to get admissions. Secondly u r comparing all private unis to the top 3 best public universities which Is unreasonable. Pls let us include Ambrose Ali, Niger delta uni, Olabisi Onabanjo in this discussion rather than using the value of 3 public universities alone as a point of comparism.
Secondly as regard Private universities Med schools, Abuad is unveiling the biggest Teaching Hospital in Nigeria with 400 beds designed after Chelsea hospital UK. Covenant university is already building its own which may surpass Abuad. The best private universities in Nigeria didn't start medicine at inception, they took their time to gain resources and knowledge before venturing into Healthcare.

Well you might be right. I probably should have included those other universities you listed. I admit that.

You should know that what I am on about is not to talk down on private universities. On the contrary I know for a fact that their role in rational development is a big one. But that's when they build their foundation on a solid pedestal of creativity, discipline, and academic and social freedom. Stanford University is a ready example that comes to mind. And when you made reference to ABUAD building a teaching hospital like that of UK's Chelsea, I simply wished I could tell you a million things about that ABUAD teaching hospital right now.

Let me not say too much on it not to attract too much unwanted attraction right now. But let us not celebrate what a university plans to have, let us wait and celebrate what they already have. For instance, the same Medicine & Health Sciences is presently at the moment caught up in unspeakable crises that might lead to the sack of 120 of the already insufficient work force at the College of Medicine and Health Sciences... Plus, the teaching hospital was boasted to be ready and in full swing latest by January 2017. As of this minute, there have been no real recruitment for the workforce. It takes more than having so much money or erecting structures to really have a teaching hospital. You must be able to attact consultants in all the fields amounting to several millions of money in wagebill. And more importantly, your business model for the hospital must attract sufficiently number of patients to qualify your hospital as a teaching hospital for your medical school.
Now ask yourself, how many patients from the generally poor Ekiti community, would be able to afford medical health offered by an institution such as Abuad that is known for being very expensive?

Please I want candid instructive contributions from you and not the usual expletives used by many here.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:18pm On Feb 25, 2017
Statsocial:

Lol let me school you well, so If those Reads where from the school how come Webometric Transparency indicator(Citations) for 2017 in webometric rankings indicate that the 2nd and 3rd most cited Papers in Nigeria was from ABUAD and CU while d excellence indicator(Top 10% Citations in 26 discipline) show that CU had one of the Highest in Nigeria? Lol or are u going to tell me that the School also mandated everybody in d school to cite the papers grin
So if you have no way of presenting ur argument without resorting to insult you can shut your remaining opinion back into that sewage you call a throat.
O my! May Nigerians be saved from ignorance!

Don't you get it? These schools pay (this is money I had won before, this is real) and threaten their staff to visit their websites and download and click! Please, verify from any academic staff you know in any of those two schools.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:22pm On Feb 25, 2017
Glokit:
ABUAD pays well over 2.5m for medicine..... And people are only talking about Church-owned uni. People are talking about Private not giving standard edu compared to Public... All na wash.... Is it d public university where useless lecturers will come to the class after cramming and teach rubbish..... I remember wen in 200l doing CSC 201 (computer science)... D lecture crammed how to write program to the class... As e was writing d tin... I missed one step... Na so all e don cram scatter...e used d rest as assignment....
B it public or private... Educational system in d country is poor...

Yes, Abuad medicine now pays about 2.4m for medicine. But please pay a visit to their preclinical and clincal laboratories. Then pay a visit to public universities offering medicine and then conclude for yourself how much of that 2.4m is a waste.

Better still get to talk with one of their 400L students, either stream 1, stream 2 or stream 3.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:28pm On Feb 25, 2017
bizme:

Well you might be right. I probably should have included those other universities you listed. I admit that.

You should know that what I am on about is not to talk down on private universities. On the contrary I know for a fact that their role in rational development is a big one. But that's when they build their foundation on a solid pedestal of creativity, discipline, and academic and social freedom. Stanford University is a ready example that comes to mind. And when you made reference to ABUAD building a teaching hospital like that of UK's Chelsea, I simply wished I could tell you a million things about that ABUAD teaching hospital right now.

Let me not say too much on it not to attract too much unwanted attraction right now. But let us not celebrate what a university plans to have, let us wait and celebrate what they already have. For instance, the same Medicine & Health Sciences is presently at the moment caught up in unspeakable crises that might lead to the sack of 120 of the already insufficient work force at the College of Medicine and Health Sciences... Plus, the teaching hospital was boasted to be ready and in full swing latest by January 2017. As of this minute, there have been no real recruitment for the workforce. It takes more than having so much money or erecting structures to really have a teaching hospital. You must be able to attact consultants in all the fields amounting to several millions of money in wagebill. And more importantly, your business model for the hospital must attract sufficiently number of patients to qualify your hospital as a teaching hospital for your medical school.
Now ask yourself, how many patients from the generally poor Ekiti community, would be able to afford medical health offered by an institution such as Abuad that is known for being very expensive?

Please I want candid instructive contributions from you and not the usual expletives used by many here.
Thank you by replying kindly.
The issue of ABUAD is paucity of funds, you may not believe it but the institution still does not have adequate funding despite 'high' fees. Let me use CU as an example, after all the so called school fees charged by CU, the university is still not self sustaining as Living Faith had to separate 1.6 billion out of its own budget to help fund CU. But unfortunately, Aare Babalola is not a church and neither does he have such money. I feel pity for him because he his trying to make a mark but he is not as wealthy as Churches are. He recently took a loan from Afdb of $40 million. I just hope the loans wouldn't break d back of the school, and that's why you see that d Church unis are way cheaper Tha d likes of Abuad and Baze.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by NemzySeries(m): 11:30pm On Feb 25, 2017
Freewoman:
MY WORRIES REMAIN THAT THEY WERE OWN AND MANAGED BY CHURCHES, THEY SUPPOSED TO BE ALMOST FREE BUT NOT, YOU SEE WHY NIGERIAN GOVT WANT THEM TO PAY TAXES AND SOME IDIOTS ARE SHOUTING THEIR HEADS OUT, WHAT A PITY FOR THOSE THAT PAYS TITHS IN THOSE TYPE OF CHURCHES ............... WHAT A PITY,
ABUAD is owned by Chief Aare Afe Babalola a lawyer and not church....built d sch gradually without oweing a bank or orda individuals
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:37pm On Feb 25, 2017
bizme:

As regards poor folks using the university. Well, unfortunately it may be expensive. But u see the issue is not that the tuition fees r high or that hospital bills are high but that our economy is so poor that ppl can't afford. And unfortunately, instead of the FG helping the Private unis out they keep treating them like competitors. A while ago Crawford was going to employ foreign lecturers(a uni is expected to have a minimumof 5% foreign lecturers) and had to terminate the process because of the exchange rate so the whole country is pulling the private sector down which makes their tuition excessively high.

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:41pm On Feb 25, 2017
bizme:

Yes, Abuad medicine now pays about 2.4m for medicine. But please pay a visit to their preclinical and clincal laboratories. Then pay a visit to public universities offering medicine and then conclude for yourself how much of that 2.4m is a waste.

Better still get to talk with one of their 400L students, either stream 1, stream 2 or stream 3.
Well I guess they started too early. Even Living Faith that has the money is still accessing....
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:49pm On Feb 25, 2017
Statsocial:

Well I guess they started too early. Even Living Faith that has the money is still accessing....

My thinking exactly. ABUAD shouldn't have jettisoned its MoU with Federal Medical Center (now Federal Teaching Hospital) Ido Ekiti so soon. While drafting the MoU the Medical Director had assured Afe Babalola that his colleagues would teach the students well and would not allow industrial action to affect the training of the medical students. And that makes sense since Afe Babalola put the consultants on his payroll, apart from their regular salaries from the FG. However, at the next opportunity the medics abandoned the students which behaviour pissed Afe Babalola so much. I was told. He then decided to set up his own teaching hospital.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:52pm On Feb 25, 2017
bizme:

Don't you get it? These schools pay (this is money I had won before, this is real) and threaten their staff to visit their websites and download and click! Please, verify from any academic staff you know in any of those two schools.
As regards Citations, that would be difficult to manipulate because it would require the external context. However, I admit that 'reads' could be manipulated by internal context of a university. But then it is not unique to Private Unis. In 2015 UI and CU were both penalised for trying to manipulate "impact indicator" which I think deals with volume of research work. I think they both were duplicating their pdf files to have a large Volume but eventually that was penalised. Even Tsinghua uni(best uni in China) was caught manipulating data and was reported to Isidro, the president of Webometrics and they were subsequently penalised. However, ever since 2015 I believe both UI and CU have both fallen in line. Lastly as some of the unis that manipulated figures did get back to Webometrics to tell them that the manipulation wasn't done with the authority of the respective Institutions' Governing Council. Therefore we can conclude that it could have been some phony Comp scientist doing that nonsense without the authority of the Universities.

However, if you can prove that those universities are manipulating figures let me know and I would ensure they are blacklisted or penalised.

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Frankaka8(m): 11:53pm On Feb 25, 2017
Madeu:

It's best to leave this Private University bashing thread alone. Private University is not up-to 20years old, yet it is been compared with already established University. it is a shame to do that. That shows Private university is moving on the right path. Giving Public University a stiff competition. Hence the senseless rivalry.

What they failed to understand is how Public infrastructures in Nigeria are badly managed thus Private enterprise over the past 30years has been the driving force in our economy.

They failed to look at the shambolic nature of Federal/state owned primary and secondary schools whereby middle-class parents don't give it a thought to enrol their ward.
with the amount parents/guardians are mandated to cough out of private Uni's, it is pertinent for dem to be the Topmost schools in ranking and oda areas, cos to whom much is given, much is reqd.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:56pm On Feb 25, 2017
OAU N150 - N250 Aluta forever no oppression
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Limitless72(m): 11:57pm On Feb 25, 2017
Freewoman:

The picture is beginning to be displayed in HD...why is it that luxurious expensive schools are owned by churches dat their members sow tirelessly..yet its only a handful of their members are entitled to the benefit....the puzzle is beginning to unravel...
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by TellMeTheTruth(m): 11:58pm On Feb 25, 2017
ayatt:

shut up

Instead of you to face facts you're here deceiving yourself

For your info public schools are living on past glory

Interview recent graduates of public and private universities and you will see that graduates of private schools come out tops in terms of all-round polishing.

Work hard so you'll be able to afford to send your kids to private universities

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 11:59pm On Feb 25, 2017
Statsocial:

Thank you by replying kindly.
The issue of ABUAD is paucity of funds, you may not believe it but the institution still does not have adequate funding despite 'high' fees. Let me use CU as an example, after all the so called school fees charged by CU, the university is still not self sustaining as Living Faith had to separate 1.6 billion out of its own budget to help fund CU. But unfortunately, Aare Babalola is not a church and neither does he have such money. I feel pity for him because he his trying to make a mark but he is not as wealthy as Churches are. He recently took a loan from Afdb of $40 million. I just hope the loans wouldn't break d back of the school, and that's why you see that d Church unis are way cheaper Tha d likes of Abuad and Baze.

I agree. And yes, $40 million from the African development bank is a big boon. But it takes much more than that to run a medical school. I believe there is a reason that CU has not dabbled so much into that aspect.... And yes, I personally believe Aare Babalola is able to pull his strong visions off; unfortunately he has succeeded in surrounding himself with strange breeds of sycophants whose singular interest is to eat his money and not to help him achieve his visions. So, he isn't just funding the school, he is at the same time funding the cavernous greed of these individuals. For a vision like his to succeed he needs people who believes in the same vision as he does, and who are especially young. Young and strong enough to run around, strong enough to have impossibly noble visions like him...But his love of self-recognition and praise has attracted to him the kind of old men who are adept at singing praises, eating money and doing nothing.

Yes, I pity him too. The few times that I have been privileged to listen to him talk, I couldn't help exclaiming to my girlfriend that we need more people like him in this country. His only fatal flaw is that he loves praises and he can not stand anyone opposing his ideas or thinking differently than him. If he can put the right individuals in critical positions, ABUAD will easily become one of the best universities in this country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 12:01am On Feb 26, 2017
bizme:

My thinking exactly. ABUAD shouldn't have jettisoned its MoU with Federal Medical Center (now Federal Teaching Hospital) Ido Ekiti so soon. While drafting the MoU the Medical Director had assured Afe Babalola that his colleagues would teach the students well and would not allow industrial action to affect the training of the medical students. And that makes sense since Afe Babalola put the consultants on his payroll, apart from their regular salaries from the FG. However, at the next opportunity the medics abandoned the students which behaviour pissed Afe Babalola so much. I was told. He then decided to set up his own teaching hospital.
Oh I see cos I remember GEJ was instrumental to ABUAD getting that MoU. I think the secular Private Unis that are not as wealthy as Church unis should Co-build teaching hospitals and use the facility together since the number of students are nt as much as those in Pub Unis. If they can't successfully build one and cant co-build or use federal government's Teaching Hospital then they should forget about offering Medicine.

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Misternas89(m): 12:05am On Feb 26, 2017
mikkypel:
Put Kwara State University oooooo... That skul ehn
Are you kidding me? And what about kwasu, you'd better know what you would type here.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 12:09am On Feb 26, 2017
ayatt:
most of them are no match to our public universities.
name them

unilag
uni ilorin
UI
OAU
ABU

the list is endless!!
Do you mean no match to cultism,sorting, witch hunting students, having sexual advance e.t.c because these universities exhibit them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 12:09am On Feb 26, 2017
bizme:

I agree. And yes, $40 million from the African development bank is a big boon. But it takes much more than that to run a medical school. I believe there is a reason that CU has not dabbled so much into that aspect.... And yes, I personally believe Aare Babalola is able to pull his strong visions off; unfortunately he has succeeded in surrounding himself with strange breeds of sycophants whose singular interest is to eat his money and not to help him achieve his visions. So, he isn't just funding the school, he is at the same time funding the cavernous greed of these individuals. For a vision like his to succeed he needs people who believes in the same vision as he does, and who are especially young. Young and strong enough to run around, strong enough to have impossibly noble visions like him...But his love of self-recognition and praise has attracted to him the kind of old men who are adept at singing praises, eating money and doing nothing.

Yes, I pity him too. The few times that I have been privileged to listen to him talk, I couldn't help exclaiming to my girlfriend that we need more people like him in this country. His only fatal flaw is that he loves praises and he can not stand anyone opposing his ideas or thinking differently than him. If he can put the right individuals in critical positions, ABUAD will easily become one of the best universities in this country.
Yes I took out time to study him a while ago, I am always interested in those who are interested in education. He is one with a great vision but ambitious, same with d proprietors of CU. The only difference is availability of funds.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 12:12am On Feb 26, 2017
HottestFire:
How will they not graduate with First Class undecided
First class is given based on merit not the ones public universities do by reducing scores and GP.Over there there's lecturer student relationship like it's obtainable in other parts of the world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 12:15am On Feb 26, 2017
Statsocial:

As regards Citations that would be difficult to manipulate because it would require the external context. However, I admit that 'reads' could be manipulated by internal context of a university. But then it is not unique to Private Unis. In 2015 UI and CU were both penalised for trying to manipulate "impact indicator" which I think deals with volume of research work. I think they both were duplicating their pdf files to have a large Volume but eventually that was penalised. Even Tsinghua uni(best uni in China) was caught manipulating data and was reported to Isidro, the president of Webometrics and they were subsequently penalised. However, ever since 2015 I believe both UI and CU have both fallen in line. Lastly as some of the unis that manipulated figures did get back to Webometrics to tell them that the manipulation wasn't done with the authority of the respective Institutions' Governing Council. Therefore we can conclude that it could have been some phony Comp scientist doing that nonsense without the authority of the Universities.

However, if you can prove that those universities are manipulating figures let me know and I would ensure they are blacklisted or penalised.

Does forcing/inducing staff to visit their website count as manipulation? It sure should. But maybe not. With respect to Nigerian university ranking however, the little I have seen makes me think it's no more than a cosmetic show of quality. Quality should be holistic and should consider many other factors to arrive at a fairly accurate measurement of it. For instance, I know for a fact that after withdrawing their services to a particular university, the names of some lecturers keep appearing in the record of the institution for accreditation and stuffs like that. And for listing on the website. Any measure of quality that includes staff quality will definitely have it wrong for this particular school.

My intention is not to get any school penalized but if it is possible that you have influence with respect to webometrics and all, then a more robust measure of quality should be evolved. This is especially because an inaccurate ranking stands a very good chance of misleading the public... While at a private university that was ranked quite appreciably, I had often looked at my students in pity considering how much the parents were paying believing there's quality in the school. While that quality is plainly absent in terms of quality of education. I think NUC should do more to make sure private universities deliver the quality the students are paying for.
If you are paying N1m in school fees, the quality you receive should in fairness be several orders higher than what you would pay in OOU for instance. But that is presently not the case. One way the NUC can help is to investigate the accreditation teams visiting these private universities who collect money from the school and then accredit such institutions even without the least of equipment in the labs and qualified lecturers.
When such schools have accreditation, they feel no need to get the basics right. They teach students with unqualified lecturers and without the necessary equipment. With this personal experience, there is nothing anyone can tell me to convince me that the quality of products produced by such private institutions is better than those produced by government institutions.

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 12:21am On Feb 26, 2017
bizme:

I take God beg you, abeg stop that thing about quality... Quali-what? I worked in one of the private universities at the college of health sciences for years. And I can tell you categorically that there is no such thing as quality in those private walls of the private universities. The fact that the students pay so much makes it impossible for lecturers to assess them objectively. In fact, the management of the institutions oftentimes overturn the senate's decision with respect to results, and awards blanket marks to student. And guess their excuse:....the fact that students pay so much.

They bribe their ways through accreditations, and the fact that they usually do not want to pay quality salaries means they find it difficult to attract the best brains in the academia. They are a dumping ground for tired and retired lecturers and administrative officers... In fact, as an employer I would more gladly offer positions to second class lower graduates of OAU, UI, Unilag, Lasu, UniIlorin, FedPoly Ado etc than 5.0 first class graduates of any of those private universities. No matter how wealthy I am, I will prefer my children to attend public universities which actually equip them with the much needed survival skills and where they actually get trained and rated based on their actual performances and not based on how much they paid in fees.

Private university education in Nigeria, for now is a big joke. Most students are in private universities because they cannot compete favourably enough to survive at the public institutions.
Do you mean public universities that have dirt hostels, poor teaching facilities ,witch hunting students, sexual abuse of students, rape,cultism and frequent strikes. Because that's what is obtainable there.haven't you wonder why most lecturers don't send their children to public universities any more,? Why are certificate now tissue papers as most countries reject them? Why a PhD holder from public universities becomes a taxi driver in Texas USA? Why our so called public universities are not topping in Africa yet we claim to be giant of Africa?

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 12:23am On Feb 26, 2017
AlphaStyles:
churches nowadays don't know God only money. if you like critize me. The God I know wouldn't build a skul were only the rich can go. The God I know see's people equal no matter your status. all this skuls that are built ordinary church member can not enroll his or her child in such skuls after pastors will come to me and say pay tithe. mtchew
The same God gave man choice in making and taking decisions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ugandan Lecturer, Nyanzi, Strips Unclad To Protest Eviction (video, Photos) / How To Perfectly Choose Subjects For SSCE / WAEC Exam / South African,Egyptian Universities Dominate Africa's Top 30 Universities List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.